The Playbook is a brilliant idea. Amidst a slew of tablets competing for pride of place, it was supposed to carve out a niche: the work-oriented tablet. RIM also succeeded in creating a new OS that is fast, fluid and arguably among the best OSs out there. And that's where the trouble begins.

I have strayed from owning a Blackberry phone twice now. Once for the HTC Evo, which I did return after a month because of its horrid battery life. And yet again for Motorola's Photon 4G which I used concurrently with the 9650. It helps that I am no longer frying chicken parts doused with batter, and can actually afford to replace my phone every year, and to sometimes have more than one phone at a time. It would appear that being an adult does come with a few advantages.

While those phones surpassed Blackberry phones in many respects, I missed certain bells and whistles that come standard on every Blackberry phone, including the following apps: Tasks, Memopad, Voice Notes, Password Keeper and a very elaborate calendar. Sure, one can download apps that can perform the very same functions in the Droid universe. But I've always been skeptical about using third party apps for such sensitive tasks.

It would be ironic if I saved my passwords to an app developed by a third-party with a nefarious purpose. Ironic, and tragic. Put simply, I feel safer using the elegant ones that come standard because they are developed by RIM. In fact, I cannot think of a Blackberry phone without thinking of those apps.

The trouble with the Playbook is not necessarily that it didn't come with an apps galore by third-party developers. After all, it is a new OS. But since its selling point is that it is a business tablet, RIM should have released it with essential business apps developed by its own team, in the same way it releases standard apps for all Blackberry phones. If it had at least come with 8 or 9 business-oriented apps different from anything to be found on other tablets, it could have made itself a strong contender for people seeking a tablet for both business and pleasure.

The apps that come to mind that should be developed by RIM include: 1) A comprehensive word processing suite. Word to Go and Adobe are currently a joke. 2) A note-taking app that converts words written with a stylos to a typed format using Word or some other program. 3) A remote desktop application. 4) A comprehensive printing app/solution. 5) A professional video conferencing app that does not require all participants to have Playbooks. 6) Ability to function as a speaker for conference calls. 7) A comprehensive productivity suite that allows its user to create things like calendars. 8) Native e-mail, plus enhanced sync with Microsoft Outlook. 9) A comprehensive voice recorder. 10) Speech to text abilities (it could be called "the secretary").

I am sure people can think of other business-specific apps. If the Playbook had made its debut with the above features, plus the anticipated features emerging with OS 2.0, even without third-party apps, it would have made a very loud splash, and would have been well worth the asking price. Or even if the features had emerged within a reasonable time, say, three months after the Playbook's debut, many might have been swayed. But to emerge with not even the features that all the other tablets take for granted, and to take a year to implement OS 2.0 is an error for which they have, and will probably continue to pay for dearly. Which is sad, because the Playbook might really have saved RIM. It convinced me to get another Blackberry phone, and probably would have convinced others. C'est dommage.

I am hoping that in time, their app development team will find ways to distinguish the Playbook by giving it features critical to business users. OS 2.0 is certainly a great start. Maybe with time they will live down the negative press they generated by releasing a very half-baked Playbook.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-05-12 at 12:32 PM.
    02-05-12 12:04 PM
    Give yourself a pat on the back ol'boy! Im sure no one has thouht about these things you say
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-05-12 12:20 PM
    Omg...again...really?? Sorry, I tried to stop myself...
    02-05-12 12:48 PM
    Omg...again...really?? Sorry, I tried to stop myself...
    I urge you. Nay, I beg you to try harder.
    02-05-12 04:25 PM
    If Skype comes, then we'll be good.

I know I would...I don't like to Skype on the machine that I play games or program on. It slows the PC down a bit.
    02-05-12 04:33 PM
    The Playbook is a brilliant idea. Amidst a slew of tablets competing for pride of place, it was supposed to carve out a niche: the work-oriented tablet. RIM also succeeded in creating a new OS that is fast, fluid and arguably among the best OSs out there. And that's where the trouble begins.

I have strayed from owning a Blackberry phone twice now. Once for the HTC Evo, which I did return after a month because of its horrid battery life. And yet again for Motorola's Photon 4G which I used concurrently with the 9650. It helps that I am no longer frying chicken parts doused with batter, and can actually afford to replace my phone every year, and to sometimes have more than one phone at a time. It would appear that being an adult does come with a few advantages.

While those phones surpassed Blackberry phones in many respects, I missed certain bells and whistles that come standard on every Blackberry phone, including the following apps: Tasks, Memopad, Voice Notes, Password Keeper and a very elaborate calendar. Sure, one can download apps that can perform the very same functions in the Droid universe. But I've always been skeptical about using third party apps for such sensitive tasks.

It would be ironic if I saved my passwords to an app developed by a third-party with a nefarious purpose. Ironic, and tragic. Put simply, I feel safer using the elegant ones that come standard because they are developed by RIM. In fact, I cannot think of a Blackberry phone without thinking of those apps.

The trouble with the Playbook is not necessarily that it didn't come with an apps galore by third-party developers. After all, it is a new OS. But since its selling point is that it is a business tablet, RIM should have released it with essential business apps developed by its own team, in the same way it releases standard apps for all Blackberry phones. If it had at least come with 8 or 9 business-oriented apps different from anything to be found on other tablets, it could have made itself a strong contender for people seeking a tablet for both business and pleasure.

The apps that come to mind that should be developed by RIM include: 1) A comprehensive word processing suite. Word to Go and Adobe are currently a joke. 2) A note-taking app that converts words written with a stylos to a typed format using Word or some other program. 3) A remote desktop application. 4) A comprehensive printing app/solution. 5) A professional video conferencing app that does not require all participants to have Playbooks. 6) Ability to function as a speaker for conference calls. 7) A comprehensive productivity suite that allows its user to create things like calendars. 8) Native e-mail, plus enhanced sync with Microsoft Outlook. 9) A comprehensive voice recorder. 10) Speech to text abilities (it could be called "the secretary").

I am sure people can think of other business-specific apps. If the Playbook had made its debut with the above features, plus the anticipated features emerging with OS 2.0, even without third-party apps, it would have made a very loud splash, and would have been well worth the asking price. Or even if the features had emerged within a reasonable time, say, three months after the Playbook's debut, many might have been swayed. But to emerge with not even the features that all the other tablets take for granted, and to take a year to implement OS 2.0 is an error for which they have, and will probably continue to pay for dearly. Which is sad, because the Playbook might really have saved RIM. It convinced me to get another Blackberry phone, and probably would have convinced others. C'est dommage.

I am hoping that in time, their app development team will find ways to distinguish the Playbook by giving it features critical to business users. OS 2.0 is certainly a great start. Maybe with time they will live down the negative press they generated by releasing a very half-baked Playbook.

I think it just goes to show what a quality and superior device the PB is if as you say, it lacks business apps and is "half baked" , that so many businesses, gov. organizations, medical clinics, service industries etc..... have still chosen to integrate the PB and are using it sucessfully, with those numbers continuing to increase. I see nowhere for the PB to go but up, especially with improvements and growing app support
    02-05-12 05:25 PM
    I urge you. Nay, I beg you to try harder.
    My apologies...truly. It's just that this topic has been discussed at length for months and months, it's finally February, and I want my OS2. In other words, I'm cranky. That said, your points are valid and I'm hoping RIM steps up and soon.
    02-05-12 06:47 PM
    I was a bit worried looking at the title (expecting an iPhone or Android fanboi complaining about app count), but this turned out to be a really nice, well thought out, and very valid read. Well done! I wish everyone could be more like you and realize problems as they are, not what their bias leads them to believe is a problem...

I quite liked all of these ideas, and hope to someday see them on the Playbook, but with everything RIM has to do let's see if they make it out before 2014...
    kennyliu and Barredbard like this.
    02-05-12 06:56 PM
    The only problem I have with PB is that I can't put it down!!!!!!
    02-05-12 08:25 PM
    i agree with the OP, and i cant wait to see skype, and a few other apps and games. Id also like a free gps, or a good paid gps app...if finally OS2 comes out and does support android, ill also be getting one of my fav note apps, not a typing one, but an actuall writting one, I think its called "handnote" or "note"...cant remember its been a while since Ive used my droid device.
    02-05-12 08:54 PM
    A nice retrospect and analysis. All valid points. It's unfortunate Doc. Brown is a fictional character and we don't have the flux capacitor to go back to 2010 and show this to the duo-CEOs.
    02-05-12 09:25 PM
    A nice retrospect and analysis. All valid points. It's unfortunate Doc. Brown is a fictional character and we don't have the flux capacitor to go back to 2010 and show this to the duo-CEOs.
    So true. But they don't have to go back into the past. If they made such business-oriented apps today, the Playbook story will begin to change, albeit gradually.
    02-06-12 06:57 AM
    The only problem I have with PB is that I can't put it down!!!!!!
    lol. I don't have that problem yet, but I would if the changes I mentioned were incorporated.
    02-06-12 07:07 AM
    My apologies...truly. It's just that this topic has been discussed at length for months and months, it's finally February, and I want my OS2. In other words, I'm cranky. That said, your points are valid and I'm hoping RIM steps up and soon.
    Hang in there, brother. February came hurtling down without permission, and it is already the 6th. If RIM plans on releasing OS 2.0 in Febuary, it has only 3 weeks now to do it. And I don't know that the topic has been discussed. Most people discussing the Playbook mistakes talk about the past, exclusively. My point is that the Playbook could become a smashing success even if they implemented those changes that I mentioned today. It needs to own the niche of being the "business tablet" and althogh OS 2.0 is many steps in the right direction, the changes I mentioned would make it the only sensible choice in the business world. In the meantime, eat, drink, work, sleep, love, and pretend that you had no idea that OS 2.0 is coming out this month. It is so hard for me to take my own advice, but there it is.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-06-12 at 07:17 AM.
    02-06-12 07:10 AM
    Okay. Let's break it down.
    1) A comprehensive word processing suite. Word to Go and Adobe are currently a joke.
    I supposed, but it does what it needs to do. Apparently Office 365 will be available for the BB soon, so we'll see what the future holds. However, MS has a horrible habit of making their proprietary documents full of bloat and I would rather use documents that stick to an open standard.

2) A note-taking app that converts words written with a stylos to a typed format using Word or some other program.
    There is an AS3 handwriting recognition codeset. Let us know when your app is ready.

3) A remote desktop application.
    Yours for $6.99.

4) A comprehensive printing app/solution.
    Okay, you got us on that one, but that depends on if printers are available on the network.

5) A professional video conferencing app that does not require all participants to have Playbooks.
    That would depend on the professional video conferencing providers creating an app for all devices. Not really RIM's issue.

6) Ability to function as a speaker for conference calls.
    Interesting. Not sure how practical it would be. A regular phone with a speaker is a better option.

7) A comprehensive productivity suite that allows its user to create things like calendars.
    Create calendars? You mean like Google calendars?

8) Native e-mail, plus enhanced sync with Microsoft Outlook.
    BES 5 and OS 2.0

9) A comprehensive voice recorder.
    Sounds like an app improvement. There is a voice recorder that can handle multiple entries. Does a pretty good job too. But it is just a hint at what could be done and it gives an opening for developers to create something.

10) Speech to text abilities (it could be called "the secretary").
    Well, there is the translator, so I guess it should be too difficult for a simple note taker.
    02-06-12 07:27 AM
    The only thing wrong with my Playbook is that I'm completely addicted to it.
    02-06-12 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD