I have downloaded pdf files from websites in the past and my playbook has had no problem reading them my trouble started when I used my scanner to create a few PDF docs for work, for some reason Adobe on my playbook refuses to read them the files are there but when I try to access them only a grey blank screen appears! like I said earlier I have downloaded PDFs example my phone bill and adobe works fine just not with any documents that I have scanned into PDF form please help!
    12-22-11 02:07 AM
    Just give up and play Angry Birds instead. That seems to be what the PB is better suited to.

Ok, I'll try to be helpful - there could be a problem with the way the scanner software creates PDF files. You could try and open those scanned files on the PC and re-save them with a PDF print driver such as Cute PDF.
    12-22-11 02:41 AM
    scanned PDF's can be HUGE without compression - you have an image instead of a doc composed of mostly text, which takes gobbles of space - what is the file size?
    12-22-11 02:57 AM
    scanned PDF's can be HUGE without compression - you have an image instead of a doc composed of mostly text, which takes gobbles of space - what is the file size?
    The files are not huge 202kb to 406kb scanned at medium quality even tested one doc at high quality came to 1.5mb I tried emailing them to myself as I normally transfer files via wifi still no dice though I did find out my Torch 9800 can read the PDFs no problem
    12-22-11 06:58 AM
    I just scanned an old manual, pasted the images into a Word file (on computer) and printed to cutepdf and it appears to have worked.

The native pdf viewer has had problems with some pdf files created by various programs. You could also try scanning and just creating a Word doc and trying to view that on the pb.
    12-22-11 09:41 AM
    I spent over an hour with customer support trying to solve the issue finally the tech guy admitted that the playbooks native adobe reader does not play nice with all pdf formats as a compromise gave me a work around. scan files into jpeg format I tried it it works. The tech guy promised me that this issue will be fixed with 2.0 os.
    12-23-11 12:37 AM
    I have a very similar problem. I subscribe to a magazine (very large distribution, so lots of readers) that comes in PDF format. Most of the time, I have no problem reading it, but a couple months issues, they show up blank on my Playbook. It can't even figure out how many pages it has.
    Did not bother to troubleshoot, but there's nothing outwardly different about it, not bigger or terribly graphics heavy or anything.
    12-23-11 12:59 AM
    I have a very similar problem. I subscribe to a magazine (very large distribution, so lots of readers) that comes in PDF format. Most of the time, I have no problem reading it, but a couple months issues, they show up blank on my Playbook. It can't even figure out how many pages it has.
    Did not bother to troubleshoot, but there's nothing outwardly different about it, not bigger or terribly graphics heavy or anything.
    The Playbook tech assured me all problems will be fixed with 2.0 + all but guaranteed it will be released in Feb
    12-23-11 01:20 AM
    The Playbook tech assured me all problems will be fixed with 2.0 + all but guaranteed it will be released in Feb
    I think you meant instead of . or should that be or maybe
    12-23-11 03:37 AM
    PDF problems aren't an OS issue, they're an Adobe Reader problem.

I sure hope an updated version of Adobe Reader is released before OS2.
    12-23-11 03:40 AM
    PDF problems aren't an OS issue, they're an Adobe Reader problem.

I sure hope an updated version of Adobe Reader is released before OS2.
    Agreed, it's an Adobe Reader problem. I've seen the problem with pdfs created by one of our in-house applications. Appears to be some optional pdf header file properties that are not created when the file is created that contribute to the issue. The files can be opened ok on any pc but the playbook's reader has large blank sections.

As a workaround, if you have OS2 or can run the Android player then you can use the Android version of Documents to Go which includes a pdf reader and so far has been able to read any pdf that I was having problems with.
    Last edited by TheInspector; 12-23-11 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typo
    12-23-11 05:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD