I've had my PB for just over two weeks and I love it. Yesterday I noticed that the rubber trim piece had come apart beside the speaker. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am going to call RIM to see if they can warranty it.

08-31-11 02:03 PM
    Why does it look so ragged? Are you sure someone didn't mess with it when you weren't looking? On mine, it's solid and straight; I can't see how it would come to look like yours on its own. Weird.
    08-31-11 02:07 PM
    Why does it look so ragged? Are you sure someone didn't mess with it when you weren't looking? On mine, it's solid and straight; I can't see how it would come to look like yours on its own. Weird.
    Yea, looks like it was left in the sun or something, melted.
    08-31-11 03:09 PM
    Either someone messed with it our it got caught in my pocket somehow, even though my pockets are always empty when I store the PB...

Yea, looks like it was left in the sun or something, melted.
    Nope never left it in the sun... lol only an ***** would leave a black device with plastic casing in the sun
    08-31-11 03:17 PM
    Is the rubber gasket missing completely from the entire unit?

I don't see any silver on mine
    08-31-11 03:24 PM
    I don't think we have ever seen that. Really sorry. Only after 2 weeks?! I stick mine in empty pockets too, never a scratch. Where did you purchase your Playbook? No chance of getting it replaced at the retailer? Mine came from Office Depot because they have a protection plan that covers accidents and one free replacement for battery failure.
    08-31-11 03:28 PM
    Wow, some rough pockets you've got there... who's had a chance to play with it? Your dog?? ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 05:31 PM
    Reviving an old thread here, but my Playbook trim is coming apart in exactly the same way. Mine's well out of warranty and has already been rma'd once so I don't think I'll go to RIM about it, but jeesh. Annoying. The ragged-looking part was tucked under the edge of the speaker - the top edge is still smooth and fine. It was progressive and took maybe 3 months to completely separate. I can't see how to tuck it under again without taking the entire thing apart.

Anyone else seeing this wear point?

Dave
    07-22-12 08:28 AM
    Reviving an old thread here, but my Playbook trim is coming apart in exactly the same way. Mine's well out of warranty and has already been rma'd once so I don't think I'll go to RIM about it, but jeesh. Annoying. The ragged-looking part was tucked under the edge of the speaker - the top edge is still smooth and fine. It was progressive and took maybe 3 months to completely separate. I can't see how to tuck it under again without taking the entire thing apart.

Anyone else seeing this wear point?

Dave
    They have been repairing pb's after warranty. You might want to call them in any event so that they know about this defect even if you don't get it fixed.
    07-22-12 09:33 AM
    The photo's look like a dog bit it!
    07-22-12 10:23 AM
    Wow - that's pretty weird. Definitely looks like a dog used it as a chew toy. Hope you can get it repaired or replaced.
    07-22-12 12:49 PM
    The photo's look like a dog bit it!
    Well, you (or your avatar) should know. And that picture cracks me up everytime I see it!
    07-22-12 12:51 PM
    The lining on the left speaker of my my playbook came up after around 4 months or so. The right speaker lining has now uprooted about 2 weeks ago but barely. Inorder to discontinue the spreading Of the rooting, I had to sever it with a razor blade... Just to avoid the whole RMA process... I can't do without my PB. I'm really delicate with my PB, seeing as there is zero scars on it over the past 7 months without being in protective gear. The uproot was caused by the playbook's sleeve that came with it. Its rather tight, so the friction of sliding the pb in and out can cause the trimings to uproot. I have to be careful about dust and fluid getting in through those openings.
    Last edited by digtech; 07-22-12 at 11:58 PM.
    07-22-12 11:55 PM
    Never saw that before, but I hate that dumb plastic piece dust always gets stuck in between it!
    07-23-12 12:05 AM
    Same thing happened to mine, there does not seem to be a way to fix it but having a case on your playbook prevents the tear from spreading all over (thats how i saved mine)
    JayR2010 likes this.
    07-23-12 12:54 PM
    Having exactly the same issue with mine as of today; came up at the left speaker just like the OP.

Who do I contact for repairs in Canada?
    07-26-12 01:40 PM
    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    DataWrangler and Mikey_T like this.
    07-26-12 02:34 PM
    Thanks F2. I'm on the line with them right now.

They want a screenshot of the problem They don't seem to know how to deal with a hardware issue that isn't related to a failure of the actual functions of the tablet.

I've been on hold with India for 20 minutes now. I'm just about ready to say forget it (which is probably the point). Wonder what PB would look like with that rubber trim ripped out entirely?
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 07-26-12 at 03:26 PM.
    07-26-12 03:17 PM
    Success! They're sending me a pre-paid box and RMA info to send it in for repair. All in all that wasn't as big a pain as I expected. Anyone else experiencing this issue should call as well; no sense living with pieces of the device hanging off.
    07-26-12 03:49 PM
    Mikey

Can I ask how long you've had the pb?

My pb made it from nw corner of Wash State to rim in less than a day (thurs to friday). And a new unit was back here on Tues! Rim repair is in Tennessee.
    07-26-12 06:45 PM
    I've had mine since October last year; I live in Alberta.

I hope I'm not getting a new unit; mine isn't backed up. I've never been able to complete a backup using any version of Desktop Manager.
    07-26-12 07:10 PM
    I've had mine since October last year; I live in Alberta.

I hope I'm not getting a new unit; mine isn't backed up. I've never been able to complete a backup using any version of Desktop Manager.
    Do NOT count on receiving the same unit and definitely backup what you can manually. I used drop and drag over wifi to copy unique files back to my computer - camera pictures, video, voice notes. You should be okay with any apps you have now unless they've changed in price, in which case you might have to upgrade and pay a fee. Obviously, settings, game scores, etc could be lost.

But since yours is a cosmetic issue, they should be able to fix it. Mine was battery depletion in standby that was unusually high.

Good luck. I was surprised at how fast their rma box arrived here.
    07-26-12 08:55 PM
    ^^^+1 i had the same issue as the OP. got a complete replacement. The power button was also raised up with the new tablet for easy power on/off
    07-26-12 10:13 PM
    I have the same issue with my right speaker. I've had mine since they first came out and the trim just came loose last month. I figured I'd just live with it until I get a new one down the road. As much as I use it, I'm pleasantly surprised that's all that's wrong with it. It IS nice to know that they will fix it should I feel the need, I just don't want a replacement and take the chance of trading one problem for who knows what else....Hmmmm decisions decisions.
    07-27-12 11:16 AM
    The RMA documentation says to backup everything and spells out pretty clearly that I may not get the same device back (i read that as I probably won't get the same one back).

Whatever; would be nice if I could backup but I can at least save the photos off the thing and rebuild from scratch when it gets back.
    07-27-12 04:54 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD