I saw I received an important document to work on my BB 9790 and thought I would use my Playbook to work on it, I was in a conference and that was pretty urgent. no business centers to borrow a laptop and my office was far.

- opened my email on the Playbook and, suprise surprise, the email had not synchronised yet, even after dragging down the pane to 'update' my latest messages were different on the PB and on the phone. #first fail whale

- Maybe from my phone I can open the file in Docs to Go and open on the PB (as the images). Nope sir #second fail whale

- ok so I open the browser, go to hotmail, download the file and open it in Docs to Go. That worked.

- I start typing on my phone some amendments using the remote control, hoping what I type on the phone would be reflected on the PB. To my great surprise, the PB changes the words as I type, making some suggestions different than that I see on the phone. I mostly look at the phone when typing and the result between the phone and the PB is devastating. I challenge anyone to write a paragraph of text on docs to go or edit a document using the remote. #third fail whale

- So I decide to use the keyboard on the PB, eventhough it's harder and slower to type, but I REALLY AD TO SEND THAT DOCUMENT. First of all there is no track changes, no way to highlight changes as you type, change the font etc. But ok, its not a full fledge word editor but still, RIM bash us with the professional grade tablet blah blah

- I painfully finish editing the document, putting amendments in brackets (and hopeing that my folks in the office would see them and not leave a comment in brackets in the final version.

- Saving the file. So I had not saved the file until now (or I had an old local copy). I click on 'save as' and I see I can save on my phone directly! Since my PB native mail had not yet sync, I thought I would use the phone to reply the email and attach the file. On the PB I click save as>device 9790>memory card. Wow I thought it's maybe not so bad at all. I click save. Close the Docs to Go (no complain saying the file is not saved). Go to the phone and the doc is not there. Not saved, just vanished. All my painful work on the tiny screen of the PB just volitised. #BIG FAIL WHALE

Around me people with their iPads were pretty amused to see me fuming, I bent the damned tablet and placed it on the floor and stomped it (literally) with my foot.

When is the iPad 3 out already? I am not so sure about the PB anymore to be honest. This cannot be used for any productivity. Please let me know what you think if you read until here, but im pretty upset to have been faithful to the PB, bought it full price etc
    Last edited by pgerhard; 03-07-12 at 04:16 AM.
    03-07-12 04:13 AM
    Before your thread gets closed or becomes another battlefield for people with various complexes, I want to know one thing.

Your Playbook. Is he died?

If not, can I have it?
    Guyzer likes this.
    03-07-12 04:16 AM
    I am sorry you had a terrible expirience. You are not alone and it is not isolated to the PB because all of my devices have let me down at some point. Your last paragraph is where you made your mistake. Why even say that? I hope they close this thread nothing good can come from it now.
    taylor96 and Cracklen like this.
    03-07-12 04:22 AM
    So you paid full price, suggesting you have owned the PB for atleast 9 months, and only now you find it to be a fail? How has it functioned prior to this "event?"
    03-07-12 04:24 AM
    I have patiently waited for OS2 to put it in the limelight as a professional device: bringing him/her to conferences.

Until then it was a nice toy, emulations, surfing the web etc.

I suggest anyone to run through the steps I did:
    - edit a word doc using the remote control in docs to go
    - saving the file on the phone using the 'save to device' function

I am nb2 blackberry fan I have huge love for it and also passion. And i was really on the edge of 'crime of passion' today

in teh end went back to the office in a rush and used a laptop.

I am in IT, I do websites and QA studies. I am really wondering is any Qality Insurrance went into the professional use of OS two.

Also regarding the question above, I was mainly using OS 2 features (such as email, remote etc)
    JeffyPooh likes this.
    03-07-12 04:37 AM
    iPad3 coming out shortly. Keep your shoes at a distance when enjoying your productivity with it as every device is capable of #failwhaling occasionally.
    anon(4021844) and Willard814 like this.
    03-07-12 04:37 AM
    It almost sounds like a case of user error. Prior using any tool for any reason, I always put it through it paces. If it is going to be used to make a living with, I would have cloud access as well as some sort of wireless file manager to be able to transfer files. Backed up and synced at least twice a day.
    03-07-12 04:40 AM
    im not going to buy an Ipad3 I hate apple, their locked down ecosystem and their utter arrogance. the fact that if you go to an it conference people in booth tell you 'win an ipad' and that everybody around you has an iPad

I am just let down by the PB and it's really hard
    03-07-12 04:40 AM
    It almost sounds like a case of user error. Prior using any tool for any reason, I always put it through it paces. If it is going to be used to make a living with, I would have cloud access as well as some sort of wireless file manager to be able to transfer files. Backed up and synced at least twice a day.
    ok do something for me, open a document on the Playbook and type on it using the remote control on your phone.

And let me know if it's a user error. I'd be happy to improve
    03-07-12 04:42 AM
    I have had this happen, well similar, docs to go crashed and lost the work I had done.

I restarted the PB and actually auto saved and asked me if I wanted to open the unsaved document. Nice.

Syncing of email seems to work really well with our Google Apps accounts. No complaints, seems to get better with time weirdly enough.
    03-07-12 04:42 AM
    I have to try typing on DocsToGo with the BB phone - with and without spell check. If I am typing from my phone, I won't be needing autocorrect
    03-07-12 04:47 AM
    ok do something for me, open a document on the Playbook and type on it using the remote control on your phone.

And let me know if it's a user error. I'd be happy to improve
    I am typing this via remote. No edits, seems fine on the phone. I also typed a word doc, the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog and no issues.

Perhaps your referring to editing only in which case the outcome could be different as its trying to predict the edits? Even when I misspell something on the phone pressi g space keeps the mistake which is interesting.

What phone do you use? I use a 9860 and its working great!
    03-07-12 04:51 AM
    I must say that i have had the other experience where I could have done an "Odd Job" with the iPad and hence have vowed to stay away...

However since having the PB and working on it, I have not had an issue editing important documents etc... Yes only issue is that the mail client does not pull emails immediately when you refresh!

As for remote working, PB has really been better than iP as being able to use BB helped alot!

03-07-12 05:04 AM
    I have patiently waited for OS2 to put it in the limelight as a professional device: bringing him/her to conferences.

Until then it was a nice toy, emulations, surfing the web etc.

I suggest anyone to run through the steps I did:
    - edit a word doc using the remote control in docs to go
    - saving the file on the phone using the 'save to device' function

I am nb2 blackberry fan I have huge love for it and also passion. And i was really on the edge of 'crime of passion' today

in teh end went back to the office in a rush and used a laptop.

I am in IT, I do websites and QA studies. I am really wondering is any Qality Insurrance went into the professional use of OS two.

Also regarding the question above, I was mainly using OS 2 features (such as email, remote etc)
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I do not have the ability to sync emails through my phone here to trying to see exactly what you went through. I did however, on my Torch 9800 bridged to my PlayBook opened up Doc to Go, created a new Word document. I highlighted some of the text I wrote, then I saved it, I have three options to save, one on the PlayBook, and two on my phone the 9800 and the media card. I named my file and saved it on the media card. I then closed it D2G, all of this with my bridged 9800.

I went to my phone, and found the word document in my documents folder on my media disk on the phone. I opened up this document, with Word 2 Go on my Torch and saw everything I typed, including the highlighted text.

I hate that you had bad experience, but I couldn't create the same thing that you ran into.
    03-07-12 05:06 AM
    I have a 9790 and yes the problems arose when trying to edit existing text for some reason the PlayBook tries to predict text while this should only happen on the phone tbh

Not sure why I cannot find the files after saving from PB to phone but I tried again with no luck...
    03-07-12 05:20 AM
    My first time using docs to go on OS 1, I hit the same snag. I opened an email with a word document attachment, started editing, finished editing (after about 30 minutes), saved the file and bam.... Got an error! I was furious because I had great ideas in this document. I couldn't close docs to go and my playbook froze. I rest it and miraculously the document saved! I got got very lucky.
    It's a shame that this process failed for you. After reading your post I feel a wee bit lary of editing important files and saving them to my phone or playbook after editing them with my playbook.
    03-07-12 05:22 AM
    Yes this post is a warning... Do some testing because to my mind, this is not ready for prime time yet. Docs to go is pretty slow, and the predictive text on the PB seems to go wild when using remote.
    03-07-12 05:43 AM
    Granted there is no tracking changes. However, you can easily change the font, color and highlight your edits.

Honestly, if anyone thinks that the PB or any Tablet for that matter is a true replacement for a laptop I think you are kidding yourself. Hardware and software is just not there yet and you can bet that developers will continue to dribble it out at a very slow rate.

Now, not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but....I have been in exactly the same situation you describe. In my case, needing to return amendments to contracts. Not sure why you persisted with the PB etc, you had a phone and a team expecting your reply, a fax, and a phone are still good old friends that you can still rely on.
    13echo4 and fanatical like this.
    03-07-12 05:59 AM
    Haha well my plan was to use my PB how foolish i know.

What you are saying is, if i fo to a conference i can pinpoint those playing around (they are on their ipads) and those actually doing work on their laptop
    03-07-12 06:05 AM
    Yes this post is a warning... Do some testing because to my mind, this is not ready for prime time yet. Docs to go is pretty slow, and the predictive text on the PB seems to go wild when using remote.
    I'll have to go through the steps you listed and see what happens.

Since you were using your BlackBerry as a paired keyboard for your PlayBook you will have spell check and auto correct on. You can turn those features off on you BlackBerry and you shouldn't have the problems you were having again.

Try that first.

The saving issue I'm not sure about. I have saved documents successfully without major edits.

The PlayBook is advertised as a professional grade tablet and blackberry really does need to improve some of the main "professional" apps like Docs to Go. I hope they're working on it!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-07-12 at 06:10 AM.
    03-07-12 06:07 AM
    I tried typing on a doc to go from my phone, worked fine other then where I miss hit, I did have the problem you mentioned of the words typed on the phone being completely different to what appeared on my playbook yesterday. I found turning off predictive input on the phone solved the issue, a bit of a hassle if you like it on the phone but is vital from my experience if you need to type on the playbook.
    Chrisy and pgerhard like this.
    03-07-12 06:10 AM
    I've been using my PB and 9860 bridged to type in docs and in sheets. Only problem in docs I have is if I correct something The cursor in the same pixal on the PB as the BB.
    Maybe instead of flaming or posting an Ipad commercial you would search how to edit or use your PB. Agreed I find using the PB a total different world than the BB. I had to look up how to hight light and change font and font color. I had to figure out how to move the cursor without having to backspace. CB is a great community if you have an issue and come ask for help people are more than willing to help. These "smashing" comments tied up with comments of what the PB cant do only brings out flaming wars. I've found CB to be the next great thing after google.
    Oh yea you dont have a PB any more. I feel sorry for your ipad lol
    ralfyguy likes this.
    03-07-12 06:39 AM
    A few observations...

First - RIM did not make Docs to Go. Any short comings in the software I would squarely pin on the software creator.

Second - the lack of syncing on your PB could just as easily be a PB issue as it could be your email servers fault (didnt see if you mentioned if you are on an exchange server or not). Lately sometimes my PB gets emails before my deskyop and sometimes after my BB (which is usually the last to get them).

Third - Why were you using your BB to type on your PB? I know BB's are like crack with their keyboards - but why wouldnt you type on your PB? I see you mentioned it was slower but its likely due to lack or repetition. I can fly on my PB - hold it in landscape orientation and use it like a big, 7" phone!

Lastly - you honestly threw a $200-500 piece of technology on the ground and stomped on it? Seriously? If I were you I would find an anger management app and use it daily.
    13echo4, MrLynd54 and shupor like this.
    03-07-12 06:45 AM
    I'm just confused if you 'almost smashed it on the floor' or if you 'placed it on the floor and stomped it (literally)'
    13echo4 likes this.
    03-07-12 06:48 AM
    A few observations...

First - RIM did not make Docs to Go. Any short comings in the software I would squarely pin on the software creator.
    But they did. Docs to go on the playbook is not the same as on other platforms, RIM ported it themselves.
    03-07-12 06:55 AM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD