Hello all,

I am going on vacation to Spain for 3 weeks and I was thinking of leaving my laptop at home. I am going to be taking a lot of pictures and video (1080p60) with my camera so the 32 GB memory card in it won't be enough.

I have a 3 TB external HDD and I was thinking of taking both along with a powered USB hub. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the PlayBook to transfer files from the camera (card is formatted as FAT32) to the external HDD (will be formatted as FAT32) using the USB hub? Would I need an app to do this or will it be able to do this out of the box?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my laptop (it has a quad-core Intel i7 CPU, discrete GPU, and 8 GB of RAM) but I am trying to travel light for this trip (a first for me) so I was hoping I could leave it at home.
    08-06-12 11:09 AM
    I think you better bring your laptop. I just cant see the PB browsing/copying files over the USB port. If you had a pocket router with USB support for your hard drive, or one of those fancy wifi hard drives, then you might have something that could actually work. Something like this. D-Link | DAP-1350 Wireless N Pocket Router & Access Point

"Share a storage device over your network with SharePort Technology"

I have a really old version of this router so I can't confirm for you that this would actually work for you, but I suspect it might. Be sure to test before you leave!
    08-06-12 11:53 AM
    At this time, USB OTG (on the go) is NOT implemented on the pb.

What folks have been doing recently is experimenting with eye-fi cards for their cameras. It can transfer files from the camera to the pb using wifi networks. I have used it at home over my router/wifi but it appears to be somewhat slow and for some reason, it occasionally duplicates the photo in the copy process - not a problem but since it is already slow....

Also, supposedly, there is a Direct Mode where the camera/eye-fi card should be able to "talk" with the pb without an outside wifi network but my brief try this weekend in Victoria, BC did not appear to work.

You do need a SIDELOADED Android app for the eye-fi card to interface with the pb.

Others who have been using this might chime in.

Also, there is a wifi-enabled harddrive which can use a web interface (I don't recall brand at the moment).

If you search eye-fi you can probably find the thread and folks' experimentings.

Ah, here's the link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-dslr-734514/
    Last edited by F2; 08-06-12 at 12:01 PM.
    08-06-12 11:59 AM
    1. Take extra memory card(s).
    2. Boost pictures to Shutterfly or whatever cloud service from hotel pc.

Would reduce the anxiety of losing your laptop in some unforeseen event.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-06-12 12:18 PM
    One additional option is if your home router has USB drive interface and FTP capability (as is the case with Linksys/Cisco). But you are faced with a non-PB solution, just copying from SD card to home FTP. Cheers!
    08-07-12 12:05 AM
    I have my eye-fi card working in direct mode. I followed the instructions I found within this forum. You could then use the Playbook to upload the pictures to box/dropbox/flickr or similar if you run out of space.
    08-07-12 04:18 AM
    i would use the wifi and keep uploading your files to dropbox or some other cloud service personally.
    08-07-12 05:19 AM

Also, there is a wifi-enabled harddrive which can use a web interface (I don't recall brand at the moment)
    Seagate GoFlex Satellite wireless portable hard drive
    08-07-12 03:04 PM
    So here's an idea. What about those wifi routers that have a USB slot on them? I've got one at home with a 500GB USB drive attached and I can access it from my PB or any PC in the house by going to \\IP address\Drive name. Using an USB adapter for your card, you could probably access it with the PB and copy the files. This might be kinda slow and unless you are uploading from the PB, it seems like it would fill up quickly, especially with a 32GB card.

I wonder if using a USB hub on the wifi router would allow access to card and a USB hard drive that could be transferred directly instead of to the PB first? I'll see if I can play around tonight if I have time.

It might still be cheaper and easier to just buy a few more SD cards...
    08-07-12 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD