I received a promotion at work and will be losing my company bb (I was a traveling rep). I will purchase my own phone but I want to wait for bb10. Is there any way to transfer my contacts to my Playbook? I've backed up my phones info for future use. I've search the forums and can't find anything.
    11-26-12 08:38 PM
    When I had to use another device (BB was being serviced), I made sure all my contacts were sync'd to my gmail account. The great thing about the PlayBook is that you can add multiple accounts (syncing calender, contacts and, e-mail). I simply added my gmail account information to my PB and voila. Professional contacts such as those in your LinkedIn account )If you have one) can also be synced to your PB.
    11-26-12 10:51 PM
    I'd do as Oni said (in fact, that's the main reason I use Gmail). It may be a bit tiresome making sure every contact is synced and that the data is correct, but it is worth it.

If you no longer have your BB device, google for MagicBerry. It can read your backups and export to a csv file.
    11-27-12 02:45 PM
    I would suggest back up to SD card, then transfer to new phone
    11-27-12 05:08 PM
    I would suggest back up to SD card, then transfer to new phone
    He would need an app to do that, as that isn't one of the OS' features. Care to suggest one?
    11-27-12 09:12 PM
    I use gmail on my bb and playbook and the contacts won't sync. I deleted and set up my gmail account again on my playbook(sync has always been. turned on) and no luck. After researching more, I found out this a common problem. Maybe it has something to do with my companies bb enterprise server. Looks like I'm SOL.
    11-28-12 12:49 PM
    Rim needs an "internal" solution to this issue. DM should be able to copy bbphone contacts to the pb and vice versa.
    11-28-12 02:48 PM
    Rim needs an "internal" solution to this issue. DM should be able to copy bbphone contacts to the pb and vice versa.
    And we're all hoping BlackBerry Link is the answer to those prayers.
    11-29-12 06:10 AM
    And we're all hoping BlackBerry Link is the answer to those prayers.
    So, where's the beta for BB Link?
    11-29-12 08:52 AM
    Is it even available yet? BBL I mean?
    11-29-12 11:19 AM
    hotmail or gmail would do it. I used outlook to transfer contacts from BB phone to playbook.
    11-29-12 11:33 AM
    diegonei, sorry I wasnt aware OS10 would not allow to restore contacts from sd card. I found this in app world
    Free Backup Contacts - Restore - Download Backup Contacts - Restore - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    and this
    Free Data Backup - Download Data Backup - Free root from BlackBerry App World
    You can also use device switch in setup on phone. Has the option to use a media card
    Last edited by BigwhiteUK; 11-29-12 at 12:28 PM.
    11-29-12 11:39 AM
    So, where's the beta for BB Link?
    You're asking me? Since when have I been a source of leaked material? I just voiced my hopes for the upcoming software...

diegonei, sorry I wasnt aware OS10 would not allow to restore contacts from sd card. I found this in app world
    Free Backup Contacts - Restore - Download Backup Contacts - Restore - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    I never said it would or wouldn't. But the OP is asking about the PlayBook. So SD cards are moot.
    11-29-12 12:18 PM
    i have my Bold 9900 also connected to my company BES server but when i got my PlayBook i reached out to my IT department and asked if i can attach the PlayBook and they didn't sync it to the company BES server (company is discontinuing BES support but thats for another post) but what they did was attach it to the corporate server via Active Sync so i have all my outlook contacts sync up with my PlayBook just like my Bold 9900 on the BES. hope they can help you??

Sent from my amazing BlackBerry Bold 9900
    diegonei likes this.
    11-29-12 12:28 PM
    He was asking how to transfer contacts to his playbook and using a SD card is an option. Save contacts to SD card, which can be accessed via PC, then copied over to the playbook, or emailed. The Free Data Backup works a treat. The Free Backup is limited, unless you purchase the full prog
    11-29-12 12:33 PM
    He was asking how to transfer contacts to his playbook and using a SD card is an option. Save contacts to SD card, which can be accessed via PC, then copied over to the playbook, or emailed. The Free Data Backup works a treat. The Free Backup is limited, unless you purchase the full prog
    Fine, explain how you get the contacts from the SD's backup into the PlayBook in any other way that hasn't been suggested here. Also, consider that he may not have the device (his post does not say if he still has the device or if it is already gone). I mean it, I am not picking on you. You may know something I don't (yes, it happens every day).
    11-29-12 12:43 PM
    Reading his post he says he will be loosing his BB, and already backed up his phones info, unfortunately he doesn't say with what or how. I would suggest dragging and dropping the contacts folder, which is created on the SD card by Fee Data Backup, into the playbook. Can only do this if connected via usb or wifi and file sharing is selected on Playbook. And the other option is to email the contacts folder to self and open on Playbook. And of course he can only do this if he still has his phone. If he has backed up using DM then he could use a prog such as Blackberry Backup Extractor, then copy the contacts to his Playbook
    Hopefully OS10 will have blackberry protect, another option
    11-29-12 01:14 PM
    Reading his post he says he will be loosing his BB, and already backed up his phones info, unfortunately he doesn't say with what or how. I would suggest dragging and dropping the contacts folder, which is created on the SD card by Fee Data Backup, into the playbook. Can only do this if connected via usb or wifi and file sharing is selected on Playbook. And the other option is to email the contacts folder to self and open on Playbook. And of course he can only do this if he still has his phone. If he has backed up using DM then he could use a prog such as Blackberry Backup Extractor, then copy the contacts to his Playbook
    Hopefully OS10 will have blackberry protect, another option
    I'm not picking on you. This is just so the thread is as clear as it can be. I don't see anything particularly new on what you said but here goes.

Blackberry Backup Extractor and Magic Berry are very similar in what they do. Kudos for pointing out another software. Alternatives are always good.

The drag and drop solution won't work. The PlayBook won't know what to do with the files in the folder.

Emailing the contacts sounds like a possible option, but wow. Talk about manual stress when it can be done automatically by extracting them into a CSV file, importing to gmail and letting the PlayBook sync.

Also keep in mind, 99.97% of users are not crackberry adicts using third party stuff. When they say "backed up", they mean Desktop Software - or rather they point out what they used. But kudos again for pointing out Fee Data Backup as an alternative to Desktop Software.

Now.... How about we hear back from the OP? I think he has enough possible solutions already.
    11-29-12 01:45 PM
    Ive never tried Gmail, I use Outlook and hotmail, which syncs with playbook
    And all I can say... its a pain in the a$$
    Last edited by BigwhiteUK; 11-29-12 at 02:08 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-29-12 01:54 PM
    I have an outlook.com email account loaded on my BB. If I go to my personal computer, access outlook.com and that account and go to "contacts", all of the contacts from the BB are there. I am really enjoying using outlook mail, calendar and the contacts as it seems to work seamlessly with the BB and PB.

hotmail or gmail would do it. I used outlook to transfer contacts from BB phone to playbook.
    11-29-12 06:41 PM
    I still have my phone for another week. I tried Magic berry and it works but I have to convert each contact individually (a real pain when I have over 300 contacts). I'll try some of the suggestions this weekend.

Thanks all
    11-29-12 10:03 PM