08-26-13 11:21 AM
29 12
tools
    i used windex to clean the screen and then bam! the touchscreen became totally unresponsive which means i can't access the inside. i tried the 3 button reset but when it asks for my password i'm unable to type anything.
    any help would be appreciated greatly. i love this machine and want it back.
    08-23-13 08:47 PM
    exchange under warranty?
    08-23-13 09:54 PM
    Did the Windex have ammonia? That's bad for touchscreen. Did you spray directly on PB or did you spray on cloth first? Do you have a screen protector on? Maybe it got underneath? If you can, you can try to go over the screen with slightly damp cloth with water. Then I guess I'd let it dry overnight and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 08-23-13 at 10:37 PM.
    08-23-13 10:18 PM
    i used windex to clean the screen and then bam! the touchscreen became totally unresponsive which means i can't access the inside. i tried the 3 button reset but when it asks for my password i'm unable to type anything.
    hopefully you did not spray screen and get liquid insdie speakers or seams. let dry tboroughly
    08-24-13 12:27 AM
    I've used Windex several times on my PB and never had a screen problem afterwards...how much did you bloody spray? lol
    08-24-13 12:09 PM
    There's a reason why the PlayBook comes with a microfiber cleaning cloth, and why it doesn't come with a sample of. Windex. Use the cloth.
    08-24-13 10:30 PM
    I learned something today. Don't use Windex on a touchscreen.
    khehl likes this.
    08-24-13 10:37 PM
    I learned something today. Don't use Windex on a touchscreen.
    I think the BlackBerry PlayBook manual explicitly cautions against using products such as Windex to clean the screen. Almost every monitor and television, whether touch or not, these days includes a similar warning.
    08-24-13 11:19 PM
    I think the BlackBerry PlayBook manual explicitly cautions against using products such as Windex to clean the screen. Almost every monitor and television, whether touch or not, these days includes a similar warning.
    I'm sure it in there somewhere. What I need is a magical spray to bring mine back to life. :banghead:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 via the CB Forums App
    08-24-13 11:42 PM
    Next time use hand sanitizer. I use it at least once a month on my z10 and no harm done. Even better, just use pure alcohol though hand sanitizer seems to be everywhere nowadays. Just don't use the foamy **** use the liquid stuff.

douevenCB10?
    08-25-13 02:29 AM
    Next time use hand sanitizer. I use it at least once a month on my z10 and no harm done. Even better, just use pure alcohol though hand sanitizer seems to be everywhere nowadays. Just don't use the foamy **** use the liquid stuff.

douevenCB10?
    Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is OK. They also say ethanol is bad. So no tequila. LOL.
    Djlatino likes this.
    08-25-13 09:21 AM
    I just went through 4 different pb manuals and did not find any reference to cleaning or troubleshooting or ...... Maybe there was a separate pdf on such things???
    08-25-13 12:00 PM
    This issue of a non-reactive screen but otherwise functional Playbook does bring up something I've wondered about. Maybe a chemical attack on it isn't in the future but I see a lot of cracked screens on various phones and think that it might happen on my Playbook some butterfingers day. And with the Playbook get old it is approaching the day where it is just too expensive or inconvenient to see if a screen replacement or repair would work.

If it happened there is a lot on the Playbook I'd still want to extract or use. So, besides the backing-up of info onto another computer, can some of you confirm the options available? I'm thinking that before a non-reactive screen might happen that pairing the device to any wireless mouse, keyboard, or phone I can find is the way to go. I don't currently use any of these but any conveniently paired device could then keep the Playbook functioning if needed. Kind of an insurance plan. Maybe not as easy to use as the touch gestures but one might still find the Playbook works fine for hooking up to a tv, as example.

As for cleaning, I only use several drops of tap water and lightly dampen a corner of Kleenex. Very lightly damp -- not wet. And kept away from the seams and speakers. The damp area is folded on itself a few times and as cleaning progresses I unfold the lightly damp area to keep a clean part of it being used. Then to finish very lightly use the dry portion of the tissue as a wipe dry of the minimal moisture streaks that show. I can't remember for sure but I believe I read a general description of this method in a different thread here. Anyway, year and a half and no scratches.

btw if the tissue is folded a few times over on itself, then the distance between your fingers and the reactive screen is too far so it can be kept on while cleaning (or just slide one thumb from bezel onto screen to freeze the screen, then start cleaning the screen with the other hand).
    08-25-13 12:39 PM
    Snowstipple

You can pair it with a bt mouse and control a number of functions. I use the mouse to control the pb when using Kalemsoft and hdmi out to my tv.

Others have used a bt keyboard both the official pb one (hard to find and still expensive) or other models.
    08-25-13 01:01 PM
    Snowstipple

You can pair it with a bt mouse and control a number of functions. I use the mouse to control the pb when using Kalemsoft and hdmi out to my tv.

Others have used a bt keyboard both the official pb one (hard to find and still expensive) or other models.
    F2,

Would a BT Mouse allow access to pretty much everything that the touchscreen did? I expect it would be slow and laborious but I would just want to get to and hopefully extract as much as possible.
    08-25-13 01:11 PM
    F2,

Would a BT Mouse allow access to pretty much everything that the touchscreen did? I expect it would be slow and laborious but I would just want to get to and hopefully extract as much as possible.
    Maybe others can also chime in.

It can be a bit slow to move around but a scroll wheel helps, too. I have been able to open and close apps, scroll on web pages and Kalemsoft. I've been able to move "letters" in Words W/Friends (better than the official keyboard). Pinch zoom obviously is limited but a double-click enlargers some stuff. I think you'd be able to extract stuff. But, actually, for data, I use wifi transfer and Windows normal Explorer drop/drag and can copy unique files that way.
    snow_stipple likes this.
    08-25-13 01:31 PM
    Disclaimer :
    I haven't read all the posts .

Remove the battery, throw it in a bag of rice for 24 hours. Then power it up. And stop trying to use it for now. Play it safe and don't panic yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:36 PM
    Using a bluetooth mouse and keyboard with the PB should allow you to navigate freely on the PB if you can successfully connect via HDMI to an external monitor.

Reference to Blackberry toolkit.

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...lang=1&id=139#

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-25-13 03:01 PM
    Bluetooth probably doesn't help the OP much. How does he turn bluetooth on on his playbook? It could work for Snow_Stipple, though.
    08-25-13 04:05 PM
    Bluetooth probably doesn't help the OP much. How does he turn bluetooth on on his playbook? It could work for Snow_Stipple, though.
    So right with same problem for HDMI.

08-25-13 04:36 PM
    So right with same problem for HDMI.

Let's hope he already had wifi sharing turned on!
    08-25-13 06:42 PM
    like I've said, I've used windex many many many times on my playbook and never had an issue! if you spray a little bit (which is all you need) then I can't fathom having issues... now if you emptied a whole bottle on it then I can see the OP having trouble with it afterwards, I don't think it was the windex but some underline hardware failure, it was just coincidental that the screen stopped working after cleaning the screen with it... I use windex on all my electronics that have screens and never ever did they stop working... OBVIOUSLY you don't spray a whole sh!t load on the screen because that is just ridiculous.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-13 07:10 PM
    It would be nice if the OP reported back about the status of their pb.
    arliss1 likes this.
    08-25-13 07:29 PM
    Ammonia and alcohol are definite no-nos on touch screens, since they can damage the screens finish. (Google it). Windex contains both.
    08-25-13 07:48 PM
    Ammonia and alcohol are definite no-nos on touch screens, since they can damage the screens finish. (Google it). Windex contains both.
    How about a damp cloth with a drop of Joy on it?

08-25-13 08:06 PM
29 12