Sorry if this has been posted before, though I've been searching and haven't found anything..

Is anyone else's playbook touchscreen acting up while it's plugged in charging? I've tried charging it via the ac charger, and through my desktop computer though usb and still the touchscreen is screwy. It's acting as if you have 2 fingers on the screen, even though I do not. The screen is clean, and the problem goes away as soon as I unplug the playbook from charging.

I've also tried leaving the charger plugged into the playbook, and unplugged it from the wall, and the problem goes away then as well. So it's not like the playbooks charging port is actually faulty..

Thanks for any responses
    04-19-11 10:36 PM
    So far when charging the touch screen is fine for mine. It goes to sleep after a while.
    04-19-11 11:06 PM
    Starting having the same issue with mine today. Touchscreen is acting totally wacky when plugged into the charger. Its weird though because I wasn't having the same problem yesterday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 06:52 AM
    i have not had any problems but im not sure what two fingers on a screen should do? what should happen when I use two fingers on my screen?
    04-24-11 07:05 AM
    My PlayBook is uncontrollable when it's plugged in. I don't need to even touch the screen, just be about an inch away from it and it spasms as you were using two finger tapping like described beforehand. I hope this is a software bug. Otherwise I'll have to exchange my tablet.

I'll probably use RIM's complementary customer service tomorrow morning.
    05-01-11 01:32 AM
    Its probably the outlets
    05-01-11 02:13 AM
    Heat seems to make the screen react.. I exhaled on mine and it reacted. Do you have any heat source near where you were charging it?

FYI, I would not use the PC USB port to charge it, too low on amperage.
    It will charge it but oh so slowly.

Tim
    05-01-11 02:42 AM
    nope no problems
    05-01-11 02:51 AM
    I had the same issue with my 16gb Playbook but only when it was plugged into the computer or the power outlet connected to the computer. When I switched to a different power outlet, everything was okay so I figured that it had something to do with the UPS but I am not sure about that. Try connecting the device to a completely different power outlet. Since I live in a very old place, I also assumed that there may be an electrical issue here.

Did you finally resolve the issue?
    05-01-11 05:55 AM
    Do you guys charge in some sort of tight fitting cases? My PlayBook does not have this problem but my iPad used to act the fool when plugged in due to heat. The outlet puts much more energy into the batteries than USB charging does.

I'm pretty sure heat plays **** with all capacitive screens.
    05-01-11 07:13 AM
    My Playbook was not in a case while it was charging. When I switched it to a different outlet on a different floor, it was okay.
    05-08-11 03:33 PM
    Yeah from a few different posts on here with people having this issue with only specific outlets, its probably related to a grounding issue with that particular outlet or possibly the entire circuit (or possibly your entire house if you live in an older place with no grounding at all)
    christenmartin likes this.
    05-08-11 03:38 PM
    FWIW, a bunch of Storm 1 and Storm 2 phones had the same kind of issues - the touch screen would become much more sensitive when connected to anything (charger, computer, etc.).

RIM eventually resolved that issue with firmware tweaks, but not before lots of people exchanged their devices multiple times.

I'm an electrical engineer and did some tests on the Storm and determined it was tiny differences in the internal grounding in manufacturing. Touch screens sense the difference between the charge in your finger and the devices internal ground. Plugging the device in (even without the other end of the cable going to anything!) causes an enlargement of that ground and made the screens more sensitive as a result.

For those with problems - put your playbook flat on a metal surface and use it - it will likely change the touch sensitivity.

Chalk it up to RIM's relative inexperience with touch screen hardware.
    Last edited by TBacker; 05-08-11 at 03:46 PM.
    05-08-11 03:38 PM
    Anyone find a fix for this? My screen is unpredictable when plugged in to charge, or when the HDMI port is in use.
    07-15-11 12:07 PM
    FWIW, a bunch of Storm 1 and Storm 2 phones had the same kind of issues - the touch screen would become much more sensitive when connected to anything (charger, computer, etc.).

RIM eventually resolved that issue with firmware tweaks, but not before lots of people exchanged their devices multiple times.

I'm an electrical engineer and did some tests on the Storm and determined it was tiny differences in the internal grounding in manufacturing. Touch screens sense the difference between the charge in your finger and the devices internal ground. Plugging the device in (even without the other end of the cable going to anything!) causes an enlargement of that ground and made the screens more sensitive as a result.

For those with problems - put your playbook flat on a metal surface and use it - it will likely change the touch sensitivity.

Chalk it up to RIM's relative inexperience with touch screen hardware.
    Thanks for the breakdown. I remember reading some great S2 posts you wrote a while back

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 12:42 PM
    ...so glad I found this thread - though I'd broken my PlayBook on Day 2 when all I was trying to do was get some music on it!
    08-08-11 09:30 AM
    So at this point, if the screen is jumping around on any power
    outlet source or computer ( but is okay unplugged) , this should be exchanged ???
    01-01-12 10:22 AM
    To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Any plasma screens nearby or other odd-ball electronics like those static-ball-globes that look like lightning? If that fails to fix it - YUP - return it quick.
    01-01-12 11:25 AM
    To determine if the PB is faulty just move it as far away from the power source as possible. If you're plugged into the wall move away from the outlet or other electronics the length of the cord. If it stops then something in the house is causing the interference. My Pb goes wacky when its too close to all the chargers we have for various electronic devices.
    01-01-12 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD