And RIM continues puttering with PB, it will lose more sales. If QNX superphone does not live up to expectations and is not launched flawlessly then HP's debacle with Palm/WebOS is a harbinger of what's to come.

Brothers RIM (Mike & Jim), amateur hour is over. Time to execute.
    Don't you realize that the Playbook *is* the superphone? All you have to do is add a radio. That's what had a lot of people anxious for the Tablet OS 2.0 release...
    08-21-11 07:56 PM
    No. RIM is in the mobile device business exclusively.
    Unfortunately the mobile device industry is turning into the Post PC business.
    08-21-11 07:56 PM
    We'll see if sales pickup after 2.0 on PB. Sharpie, here's a dose of reality, PB is a tablet. QNX superphone is vaporware until the first photos are leaked (probably in Nov or Dec)

Don't you realize that the Playbook *is* the superphone? All you have to do is add a radio. That's what had a lot of people anxious for the Tablet OS 2.0 release...
    08-21-11 08:24 PM
    We'll see if sales pickup after 2.0 on PB. Sharpie, here's a dose of reality, PB is a tablet. QNX superphone is vaporware until the first photos are leaked (probably in Nov or Dec)
    I believe you are the one who requires a dose of reality - both the tablet and the phone will run the SAME software. That's why it is so important for RIM to take their time and get the Playbook right, because the Playbook is the dev platform for the phones.

Do you really need pictures to prove something exists?
    08-21-11 08:31 PM
    I wouldn't go this far. I think most WebOS users expected the first phone and tablet to be rush jobs to get in the market, and then better stuff to follow(Veer/Touchpad). I was waiting for the seven inch touchpad to come out in the fall, I can't see the point of a 10" tablet.

That being said, I was SORELY tempted by the Playbook, best tablet design IMHO, and Bridge as well. I've always wanted a blackberry and was kinda feeling down about passing on the 9900/Playbook combo, but I guess HP fixed that for me. I have a 9900 on order and will be picking up a Playbook 64gb ASAP!
    To be more specific, I'm a Pixi user on Sprint. It was very strange after the February announcements of 2 sliders and the PalmPad that:
    A. There was no upgrade path for Pixi, meaning slider or die. No more
    Treo like form factor?? That would be like RIM dropping the Bold and Curve
    in favor of the current Torch.
    B. None of the phones were announced as coming to Sprint, the same
    carrier that partnered with and launched the first WebOS phone for Palm.

Other WebOS users on Verizon and AT&T may not have felt the abandonment that groups A and B did, and in fact, those groups were called "whiners". A leaked story from HP employees that said that they had other phones in the pipe but were hampered by the hardware. Apparently WebOS team didn't like the old Palm hardware that was being re-badged, then it truely wasn't whining, but rather noticing the lack of clothes on Emperor HP.

Some Sprint WebOS users went to AT&T in order to get the Veer. I already gave up a Sprint SERO (1200/unlimit/unlimit for $49) plan to upgrade from a Treo 755P to a Pixi. No way was I leaving my current plan to follow behind WebOS this time.

The abandonment caused me to try out the Playbook, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. So maybe I'll be at least looking at the Bold 9930 in a couple of days myself. It seems like a "Winning" combination!!
    Last edited by melander; 08-21-11 at 08:55 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-21-11 08:37 PM
    08-21-11 09:40 PM
    ^^ i think Best Buy said the same thing. Expectations are just set really low
    08-21-11 09:43 PM
    ^ ^ I've never seen one in public...
    08-21-11 09:51 PM
    *eye rolll* No. PB is here to stay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 02:20 AM
    So I've been using the TouchPad for a day and bit now.

The more I use it, the more I appreciate the PlayBook =)

- Weight... wow damn you can't one hand a Touchpad
    - File System: When you plug a playbook, folder clearly labeled "books" "photos" the touchpad had "DCIM", "Wallpaper", ".palm"... for an average joe who wants to make this a photo album.. you got to do some experiment.
    - Screen! Playbook is brigher, more crisp. The dimension makes most youtube video fill the screen on playbook but got black bars on the touchpad.
    - Contacts - wow, didn't know they were actually integrating Google's address book as contacts and not synching it from Outlook.

Stuff RIM can take a page out of TouchPad:
    - Email client. It does work and... despite I have bridge, I don't think I mind something native. My BB Bridge always crashes...
    - Email attachment - not sure if anyone tried to add an email attachment of photos on playbook. If you have a few folders of photos, you'd have to scroll through all of them since there since folder aren't there on email attachment and you gotta browse all photos
    - Nice UI for the photos app.
    - Organized app store. I personally prefer the HP layout, but then it's a matter of preference.

Anyway, I wouldn't think you missed out on the touchpad if you have a playbook. It doesn't perform anything closer to playbook, no matter if its loading webpage, opening or scrolling in PDF. Playbook just got no lag, makes it a pleasure to use.

Now that I have a comparison, I really appreciate my Playbook so no... I think Playbook will survive it is an outstanding tablet.
    08-22-11 03:46 AM
    poor HP...the playbook is an awesome device and by what i have been reading...its only going to get better
    08-22-11 04:17 AM
    HP TouchPad wildly underperformed...I wonder if PB will follow.
    Heck no.......the world is trying to talk down the global economy and "they" just might help bring about a double dip recession - lets not talk down the Playbook as well! (Especially as Ive just ordered one....). We should all get out there with or Playbooks and show everyone what it is.
    08-22-11 07:17 AM
    So I've been using the TouchPad for a day and bit now.

- Email attachment - not sure if anyone tried to add an email attachment of photos on playbook. If you have a few folders of photos, you'd have to scroll through all of them since there since folder aren't there on email attachment and you gotta browse all photos
    That's an issue I also find very poorly done on the pb. I've got over 1,000 photos and finding the recent one I took with the pb camera is very tedious. They need to make folders show up in this mode.
    08-22-11 08:45 AM
    To be more specific, I'm a Pixi user on Sprint. It was very strange after the February announcements of 2 sliders and the PalmPad that:
    A. There was no upgrade path for Pixi, meaning slider or die. No more
    Treo like form factor?? That would be like RIM dropping the Bold and Curve
    in favor of the current Torch.
    Ditto this, I loved the Pixi, I only wish it were bigger like the Treo. This is why I went for the 9900 instead of the 9810. Now if only the 9900 had the 9810's screen...

Other WebOS users on Verizon and AT&T may not have felt the abandonment that groups A and B did, and in fact, those groups were called "whiners". A leaked story from HP employees that said that they had other phones in the pipe but were hampered by the hardware. Apparently WebOS team didn't like the old Palm hardware that was being re-badged, then it truely wasn't whining, but rather noticing the lack of clothes on Emperor HP.

Some Sprint WebOS users went to AT&T in order to get the Veer. I already gave up a Sprint SERO (1200/unlimit/unlimit for $49) plan to upgrade from a Treo 755P to a Pixi. No way was I leaving my current plan to follow behind WebOS this time.
    The Veer was nice, I had one, but just too small for its own good. No usb/3.5mm is unthinkable today.

The abandonment caused me to try out the Playbook, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. So maybe I'll be at least looking at the Bold 9930 in a couple of days myself. It seems like a "Winning" combination!!
    Ditto.
    08-22-11 02:28 PM
    ^^ i think Best Buy said the same thing. Expectations are just set really low
    Android tablets expectations must set even lower then
    08-23-11 02:09 PM
    Oops, don't mean to bump this, but considering today's news . . .
    09-15-11 08:32 PM
    Considering the demo software on the TouchPad anyone who based their decision on a demo made a mistake. The non demo Touchpad on which I am typing this flies and outperforms the PB (my boss and I ran his PB and my TP side by side for over an hour doing the same things and I smoked him.

HP made a mistake. The bloated demo software hurt the TP badly.
    09-15-11 10:56 PM
117 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD