With the PlayBook, I started thinking about being totally mobile. I got a FiveSpot WiFi that works with my laptop (no desktop) at home and PlayBook on-the-go, but is there a way to get email access that will use Outlook on my laptop (and Storm2 and PlayBook)? I currently have Verizon DSL and want to drop it and use WiFi only, but have to get email from somewhere. Any ideas?
    05-14-11 12:03 AM
    I think you are already there, depending upon your email provider you should be able to run outlook on the laptop no problem with perfect sync between the devices, anyone on a BES is already set-up that way, i assume BIS can work the same way but have never done this.

You may want to flip your 3G router for a 4G unlimited plan to make sure you get reasonable speeds and more importantly reasonable prices. If you are really patient you might want to wait for a 4G berry but who knows when that will actually hit. Then you could use the Berry as hotspot/tether for the entire system.

3g surfing is fine when that's all you can get but with 4g you probably won't notice much of a dif between the dsl line and the wireless, a little more latency and noticeably slower uploads but the downloads are really pretty snappy.
    padamssm likes this.
    05-14-11 09:11 AM
    You may want to look at Microsoft Office 365. They are currently running a beta and you can set up a cloud based Exchange server with webmail access for your non Windows devices.
    padamssm likes this.
    05-14-11 09:20 AM
    You may want to look at Microsoft Office 365. They are currently running a beta and you can set up a cloud based Exchange server with webmail access for your non Windows devices.
    I'll look into this. I'm also looking for the most secure cloud-based backup system. The cloud seems to be the way to go.
    05-14-11 09:27 AM
    I use Windows Live Mesh as a kind of cloud based back and sync with my laptop in one package. Can’t remember off the top of my head the storage limit but it’s more then enough for my important files.
    BlackBerry Protect from RIM is good for backing up your BB and hopefully it will be available for the PB soon.
    padamssm likes this.
    05-14-11 09:37 AM
    I've been considering the same thing. Mobile HotSpot, Laptop (13" or less), Playbook and BB (9900 when it hits). Handle business anywhere, anytime.
    06-15-11 01:31 PM
    Keep in mind that mobile hotspots get the signal from the same towers as your cell phone. The fact they only handle data makes them better but still not as fast as a wired network.

I have Comcast cable at home getting 20+MBPS and a T-Mobile mobile hotspot that gets me between 3-9MBPS. I've only had it for 2 weeks but it works pretty good. Reception at my house is pretty much non existent for both my cell and hotspot. And the hotspot is not designed for voice. If I connect my 9700 to it my phone calls are choppy. They tell me there is no way around that and they don't support voice issues. My PlayBook however works great with it and it's really nice to use it when I'm out and not have to depend on a public WiFi.
    06-15-11 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD