Although not a techie, I do have the basics. However, anyone experiencing probs when moving AVI files for watching after downloading on torrent. Main issue is not visual, only lack of audio. Is there some techbabble I have to ensure for before I download? I know I can't watch MKV or xvid etc unless converted. Just wondering if it's glaringly obvious and I am just being a noobie.
    01-22-12 08:48 PM
    I use a converter and change mine to .mp4 format. They work great and take up less space. More movies can be fit that way.
    01-22-12 08:53 PM
    The files may be using an audio codec that isn't supported by the playbook. Try converting it as you would for your mkvs and see if that works.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-22-12 09:10 PM
    check the audio format in the torrent description. if they list AC3 then skip either skip it or convert it.
    01-23-12 02:27 AM
    i hipope SOPA oesnt get passed for you smeroucans or you will never get to torre r t movies sjsi n
    01-23-12 03:33 AM
    I use a program called handbreak, and i use the iPad setting within it works pretty good even when i have it hooked up to my tv
    01-23-12 03:46 PM
    I use a program called handbreak, and i use the iPad setting within it works pretty good even when i have it hooked up to my tv
    I am about to start tinkering with Handbreak.

Is the resolution quality downgraded by choosing ipad setting?
    01-24-12 04:15 AM
    Freemake works 100 times better then handbrake IMO. There is even setting specific to the PB.
    01-24-12 07:27 AM
    Freemake works 100 times better then handbrake IMO. There is even setting specific to the PB.
    I see. Any specific plus or pros of Freemake over Handbrake?

I just finished converting 4 videos from avi/wmv and etc to mp4 and quality is superb with Handbrake.

But, as always, open to newer and better suggestions

Thanks in advance.
    01-24-12 07:30 AM
    I use Freemake as it will even compress your avi files further without much loss, and since you are watching on a 7" screen, hardly noticeable. Allows more files on the playbook.
    01-24-12 09:14 AM
    I use Freemake as it will even compress your avi files further without much loss, and since you are watching on a 7" screen, hardly noticeable. Allows more files on the playbook.
    How large would I get to save if you would compare the output of Handbrake and Freemake using the same source file.

Thanks
    01-25-12 05:06 AM

You are assuming people are watching on the Playbook's 7" screen. Another poster stated he watches on a tv connected to his Playbook. While I agree that you can get away with more compression if you are only watching on the Playbook, everyone must keep in mind that same compressed file is going to look like the final stage of horse feed if you connect to your HDTV. I would not convert my movies (rips of my own DVDs) twice so I would go with the bigger files/better quality.
    01-25-12 05:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD