I'm a day one adopter of the 9800 on Rogers in Canada. I love the phone, but it has been reaching its limits with me lately.

Its slowing down, its freezing and needing battery pulls, the slider section is getting more and more wobbily, theres an annoying "squick" noise when using the track pad or any of the face buttons. The screen shows unlocked, but I can't do anything without actuating the button numerous times. I'm gonna try another wipe and restart on it, but the fact of the matter is, the phone is showing my age.

I am not eligible for my upgrade as I used it on the Torch for at least another year... The phone still works for its main uses, and hopefuly a software restore will bring it back from Curve 1 speeds.

I'm debating quite heavily on replacing it though.... I wanted to get a Playbook first as ultimately I will use my hardware upgrade on a QNX device when they release. But in the mean time, phones in worse condition than mine are fetching a fair penny. I could easily afford to jump to one of the new torches.

The full touch torch is very intriguing. Especially since I've recently started to use the touch keys on my torch quite a bit. Still not happy for doing full email conversations, but I'm getting there. I love the screen on the 50/60 and the speed of these new devices makes me giddy.

However, the 10 seems to be everything I love about my current torch, just better. I'm mostly worried about screen wobble. I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to fit/finish. In fact the small dust spec under my current torch screen is driving me completely bonkers.

OR do I forgo the OS7 and get the Playbook to hold me off until QNX comes out for the handsets. The more I visit Playbook sales booths the more I fall in love with it. I need a new laptop first...but having a Playbook would be great for my travel needs and late night needs (no tapity tapity of laptop keys keeping the wife awake)

If I don't sell my current Torch it will be near impossible for me to justify spending $550 on a new device to only have it for a year or so before QNX comes out. And I don't wanna sell the Torch until I know I can have a 10 or a 50 within an hour.

Recomendations?
    08-16-11 06:21 PM
    Well, supposedly the 9810 is better quality control on the screen, but it is the same setup as before.

My recommendation would be buy yourself a laptop if you need one; a PlayBook isn't going to be a strong replacement for such. Then sell your Torch 9800 and buy either the 9810 or 9860 outright. Finally, upgrade to QNX phone through your normal plan when your contract expires.

A PlayBook, while nice, might be something to put on the backburner unless you can afford it.
    08-16-11 09:00 PM
    Well, supposedly the 9810 is better quality control on the screen, but it is the same setup as before.

My recommendation would be buy yourself a laptop if you need one; a PlayBook isn't going to be a strong replacement for such. Then sell your Torch 9800 and buy either the 9810 or 9860 outright. Finally, upgrade to QNX phone through your normal plan when your contract expires.

A PlayBook, while nice, might be something to put on the backburner unless you can afford it.
    The laptop is coming first, then I would be going to one of the new phones/Playbook. I understand it won't replace a laptop, not many things can. But is it worth it to pay $600 for the PB, or $550 for a OS7 phone with QNX and my HUP about a year away?
    08-16-11 09:52 PM
    The laptop is coming first, then I would be going to one of the new phones/Playbook. I understand it won't replace a laptop, not many things can. But is it worth it to pay $600 for the PB, or $550 for a OS7 phone with QNX and my HUP about a year away?
    It wouldn't be worth it to get a PB if you're getting a laptop and if you sell your old phone(depending on how much you can get) then I would use that money for one the new BBs.
    08-16-11 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD