Recently, CrackBerry released a post to help people who may have received a PlayBook for Christmas... but one thing I thought it needed adding to it was a list of some of the greatest apps you can get for your PlayBook, excluding the pre-loaded ones. So here goes;

Note: All names are linked so you can check out everything fully.

Box - Honestly, I love Box. I may be bias in saying this since I use this myself, but if you want an alternative to backing up your Docs To Go documents on your computer, then Box is for you. You can find apps like this, for example, "Stuff," which links with DropBox (No, they are not the same thing). Box is an app that has been changed for use on the PlayBook, and most of all; it's free!

Vault - Nowadays, everyone has so many accounts online it becomes difficult to remember loads of different passwords... unless you're risking the same passwords for everything. This is where Vault comes in, produced by XLabz, it provides a tool for keeping and remembering passwords; with nifty features like a Password Generator (if you lack originality), Swipe-Combination - for ultimate protection, named the easiest combination lock to remember, and the hardest one to crack, Backup - if you're worrying that one day you might forget your own swipe-combination, DropBox account needed for this. Restore - If you do end up forgetting your swipe combination. Clipboard Copying - for those who find the whole hold, select (highlight), copy and then paste system too difficult, as it instantly copies whatever you wanted to the PlayBook's clipboard, and, finally, Auto-Wipe - in case your kids or relatives are trying to frape your Facebook... etc.

Skit - As most of us know, PlayBook doesn't have a wide range of great apps... even more so drawing-wise. Skit is here to save you. If you're wanting to take notes, draw a picture or keep your kids occupied; this is the app to get. You can use your finger, though it's more accurate to get a stylus. It includes features such as creating books, changing their colour, and turning them into a PDF for extensive books that you no longer want to add to but may want to keep.

Cooklet - Firstly, I must tell you that previous versions of this app were a bit shoddy and difficult to get around, but they have improved it, with the recent update it is more usable. You can look up recipes, add them as favorites rather than finding them again later, or even add them using the Web App (Sadly, adding recipes is not on the app - we'll just have to hope it does in future).

Evernote - Just brilliant. Remember what I said about Skit and note taking? This is a more advanced way to do so, as you can add images, and more defined text elements. You can have notebooks, well, several of them (but you have to add more in the Web App, another limitation to an app on the PlayBook). This app is for those of you doing GCSE's, A-Levels and Degrees. Mostly, people will use it in University in seminars and classes, taking notes - it's purpose. Also, it can be used as a personal note taking app as well if you're not in education.

Conqu - An extremely popular app. It has a modern take on the To Do list, added schedules and more advanced descriptions, tags and sectors. It can be used as a business tool or for general home use, like remembering to go to Tesco. This is great as it's absolutely free too, and I assure you it will become very popular among yourself and anyone who uses your device.

Screamager - Like to get your message out? This is a great app for that. It's like those fancy moving-letter signs above businesses, or that you see in clubs. Screamager is for a more scaled-down and less expensive way of doing that, you can add text of your choice, add effects and fonts, then let it play. You can even play images like fire (these are pre-loaded, and are not of choice), the CrackBerry and BlackBerry logos, and many more to add to the list.

Square Cam A quick one to add to my list; Square Cam is a cute little 'olden-times' style camera that take poloroid-style pictures.

Scrapbook Advertised on the BlackBerry website's page for the PlayBook, Scrapbook is exactly what it says; a scrapbook. Take pictures, paste them onto a background, and add clip art like speech bubbles than say whatever you like in it, and, as it's one of the "main apps" for PlayBook, it's free!

Poynt - Searching for places on Bing Maps, looking for Cinema Showtimes on their awkwardly layed out websites, and looking for events on TicketMaster have all been utilized in this app, making it easier to search for anything, adding the fact that you can set it up with your Postcode, so it searches for places around you specifically. Including features like Mobile Sync.. although this only works with BlackBerry phones, it's a great addition to the app, making it so you can send directions to your phone from the PlayBook, add it to your Phone Calendar (which also means that if your calendar on your phone is synced to google, along with your PlayBook; it will appear in both calendars), and much more. I'm not telling you everything, don't want to spoil the surprise!

I will write one out for games too soon, just watch out!
    Last edited by Crowezine; 01-02-13 at 03:45 PM.
    12-28-12 01:27 PM
    Cheers. As a new user this is a big help
    Crowezine likes this.
    12-28-12 02:47 PM
    You're very welcome
    untakenusername likes this.
    12-28-12 04:03 PM
    Very helpful, thanks for taking the time to write it.
    12-28-12 05:22 PM
    I also Highly recommend:

Files and Folders
    Battery Guru
    Smart Office 2
    Antair Nightstand
    Magellan Compass
    Splashtop
    Either: Autoplay Videos or KalemSoft Media Player
    12-29-12 03:30 AM
    PDF Reader is so much better than Adobe.
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    12-29-12 04:31 AM
    Any good and not expendive or free app on taking notes?
    12-29-12 04:58 AM
    Any good and not expendive or free app on taking notes?
    Basic, File-based: Plain Text Edit (rough interface, keyboard - virtual or Bluetooth - use required), Syntax (smoother interface, keyboard - virtual or Bluetooth - use required)
    Advanced, Category-based: GroovyNotes, Evernote (integrates with cloud storage), Diary Pro

If you need to sketch diagrams and figures, Scratch Pad works.

On a related note, the LiveScribe smartpen allows the capture and transfer of hand-written notes and sketches to your computer and export as a PDF document. The WiFi version allows integration with Evernote. With the advances in miniaturization my only complaint about the LiveScribe smartpen is the needlessly non-standard form-factor of a traditional ballpoint pen. However, for students and anyone taking notes during meetings this product works very well. Unfortunately, there is no erase capability if you want to correct spelling or clean-up a sketch; then again you cannot do this with a regular pen unless you use white-out.
    12-29-12 05:43 AM
    PDF Reader is so much better than Adobe.
    The PDF Reader is Adobe software.
    12-29-12 07:03 AM
    In fact, PDF Reader is an app by Sporadic Software.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...08930/?lang=en
    12-29-12 08:28 AM
    The PDF Reader is Adobe software.
    I believe Robtanz is referring to the pdfreader app. It is an excellent PDF reader - much more fully featured than the stock adobe reader that the pb comes with.
    12-29-12 08:31 AM
    I have only had my Playbook for 3 days and I already find Ghost Commander to be an invaluable tool. I can connect to all my network shares to copy music and videos down, I can even ssh into my nas. And its free.
    David in Durham and robkd like this.
    12-29-12 08:38 AM
    I have only had my Playbook for 3 days and I already find Ghost Commander to be an invaluable tool. I can connect to all my network shares to copy music and videos down, I can even ssh into my nas. And its free.
    You are definitely an Advanced User - good going.
    12-29-12 10:06 AM
    I believe Robtanz is referring to the pdfreader app. It is an excellent PDF reader - much more fully featured than the stock adobe reader that the pb comes with.
    Aha, yes. It looks a bit shoddy, then again, you can't judge a book by it's cover. I may try it sometime!
    12-29-12 12:16 PM
    Cooklet - Firstly, I must tell you that previous versions of this app were a bit shoddy and difficult to get around, but they have improved it, with the recent update it is more usable. You can look up recipes, add them as favorites rather than finding them again later, or even add them using the Web App (Sadly, adding recipes is not on the app - we'll just have to hope it does in future).
    Thanks a lot adding the recipes from the app will be added. Enjoy and happy #socialCooking!
    g
    12-29-12 12:44 PM
    I agree with most of them, especially Evernote. The app has been one of the best apps on Google Play Store in 2012 and bears great functionality features.
    12-29-12 03:33 PM
    In addition to some great apps mentioned above:
    - Scoremobile
    - FlightAware
    - QFolio
    - SolarExplorer
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    12-29-12 07:41 PM
    I would add

Income Calculator - Really helps monitor expenses and plan ahead gives a good idea of what you need to do and can do financially
    Navita Translator - Easy to use language translator
    Nobex Radio - Works really well and clear plus has alot of stations
    Comics - If your into comics this is a must
    Book reader - Great for reading books and has plenty of extensions
    12-30-12 10:01 AM
    Slacker Radio is the big one for me, and it's the default music streaming service for me as they appear to have software for every platform (including my TV!).
    12-30-12 10:40 AM
    I think I can get it for my phone, although when I search it on my PlayBook's App World, no results come up.
    12-31-12 07:05 AM
    Apollo (Pandora client) is one I use all the time.
    12-31-12 08:03 AM
    I think I can get it for my phone, although when I search it on my PlayBook's App World, no results come up.
    Which program is that?
    12-31-12 09:41 AM
    Which program is that?
    Slacker Radio.
    01-01-13 07:29 AM
    Slacker Radio.
    Isn't it pre-loaded on PB OS?
    01-01-13 09:40 PM
    Isn't it pre-loaded on PB OS?
    Seems not with OS2. Somethings went missing during the update.... I mean, even when I wiped my playbook after.a memory problem, and it loaded up, the general BlackBerry new app dissapeqred, although it was there upon first load up (since bought). I guess things just disappear......
    01-02-13 07:26 AM
26 12