My playbook has given up the ghost, and I phoned Currys today as I took out 'whatever happens' insurance and I was informed that I am entitled to an instant replacement and as they no longer sell playbooks it will be something of similar spec.

I'm now so glad that I put all my photos on it up to skydrive.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'm hoping they will tell me my options when I call them tomorrow so I can do a bit of research and ensure its the right decision.

Nush
    08-17-13 03:29 PM
    My playbook has given up the ghost, and I phoned Currys today as I took out 'whatever happens' insurance and I was informed that I am entitled to an instant replacement and as they no longer sell playbooks it will be something of similar spec.

Anyone have any suggestions, I'm hoping they will tell me my options when I call them tomorrow so I can do a bit of research and ensure its the right decision.

Nush
    If you got it during the �129 off then you may be struggling. I think by something of similar spec, they may mean price. Until you know that it's difficult to advise you but don't be pushed by the salesperson! Take your time and if it means having to pay a little extra then you can always go back another day. We will be here to give any advice we can on any make of tablet. Good luck.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-17-13 03:37 PM
    if no PlayBook is available then a Nexus 7 or Ipad mini should be options to replace with maybe
    08-17-13 03:42 PM
    IMHO, for 129 pounds the best option is the lenovo A2109
    08-17-13 09:15 PM
    If you got it during the �129 off then you may be struggling. I think by something of similar spec, they may mean price. Until you know that it's difficult to advise you but don't be pushed by the salesperson! Take your time and if it means having to pay a little extra then you can always go back another day. We will be here to give any advice we can on any make of tablet. Good luck.
    Listen to that gnome he knows what he's talking about. I rather add extra money to get a decent substitute instead of being force to take the "equal value" tablet. For what you pay for Playbook, in terms of quality, you are not going to get an equal value tablet.
    08-17-13 09:49 PM
    IMHO, for 129 pounds the best option is the lenovo A2109
    Not this cheap in US and is running Android 4. Here if you want a 9" tablet the Nook HD+ at $149 is something to look at. True no cameras but has a much better screen and better reading options than most tablets. Also add in $25 to get the HDMI adapter. Currently run Android 4 but is open to upgrades even if Barnes and Noble does not furnish.
    08-17-13 09:59 PM

Nush
    I would get a new generation Nexus 7.
    The 16GB version is �199.99 but it would be worth it to you to pay the difference if they will allow that.

The display on the Nexus and your existing Playbook are both better than on the Lenovo.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    08-18-13 06:07 AM
    The a2109 has worse display but It has GPS, hdmi output and microsd slot. Moreover, you'll probably lose the instant replacement if you buy anything more expensive than 150 pounds.
    08-18-13 07:22 AM
    By the way, you can unlock lenovo a2109 bootloader.

Unlocking the A2109 Bootloader - Lenovo Community
    08-18-13 07:26 AM
    By the way, you can unlock lenovo a2109 bootloader.

Unlocking the A2109 Bootloader - Lenovo Community
    08-18-13 07:28 AM

Nush
    Another alternative of course would be to contact bb support and get your pb replaced. A close friend of mine bought a pb on the same deal as you with Currys an when the pb went faulty bb picked it up from his home, repaired it and returned it FOC within 7 days? Worth trying if you like your pb.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-18-13 07:40 AM
    Another alternative of course would be to contact bb support and get your pb replaced. A close friend of mine bought a pb on the same deal as you with Currys an when the pb went faulty bb picked it up from his home, repaired it and returned it FOC within 7 days? Worth trying if you like your pb.
    Agree. I believe they still have tons of stock to replace your unit.
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    08-18-13 07:47 AM
    Get an iPad mini... Yeah, it's more expensive, but it has the best build quality on the market, and the best customer service.

The best part? You'll have access to hundreds of thousands of quality apps that have no equivalent on a Nexus7 or any other Android tablet.

I used to have a 7 inch Android tab, and never used it much. When I got an iPad, I realized why I didn't use it much, and what I had missed out on...
    08-18-13 07:47 AM
    I have 43 brand new 64GB playbooks I purchased from Curry's I am happy to send you one at cost.
    08-18-13 07:54 AM
    Ok, this requires some explaining... WHY did you get 43 Playbooks?!?
    08-18-13 07:58 AM
    I have 43 brand new 64GB playbooks I purchased from Curry's I am happy to send you one at cost.
    What a superb forum this is! All members please take note. This is why we are all here!
    gdg521 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-18-13 07:59 AM
    I got to remember you in case I am not ready to move on after my PlayBook dies.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 08:23 AM
    I got to remember you in case I am not ready to move on after my PlayBook dies.

Posted via CB10
    But you have me Mr cat?
    08-18-13 08:34 AM
    Yes, although we can speculate, why? And how much was your cost, please?
    08-18-13 10:09 AM
    I'd like to know, how much is that!?
    08-18-13 10:22 AM
    But you have me Mr cat?
    Your 8 playbooks won't last as long as his 43.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 10:24 AM
    The a2109 has worse display but It has GPS, hdmi output and microsd slot. ...
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    You can get HDMI out on the Nexus 7 using a micro USB to SlimPort adapter but there is no microSD slot. Knowing that, I don't know if I would buy it now.
    Guess I'll stick with the Playbook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 10:33 AM
    PlayBook God Achievement unlocked

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 11:15 AM
    Why ask? If more people stopped doubting what other members said in these forums, you never know we may start behaving better towards each other. I don't know this member but at this moment in time he has given me no reason to doubt his word. Would you rather berate him for no reason so that he leaves the forum and sells them on ebay, therefore depriving needy members of a cheap replacement pb?

Until any member gives you cause to disbelieve him then treat him/her/it with the respect you would expect from the forum yourself!

Should they give you cause and then just let me know!!!!!!!!!!
    Carl Estes and eldricho like this.
    08-18-13 11:20 AM
    amazon were selling the 64gb playbook for around 112 at the end of last week.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 11:36 AM
42 12