As I'm new to the Blackberrysphere, here's something that I'm not quite clear on.

I see posts about BB 10 that say it will come to the PB - but all the talk is about OS 2.1 for the Playbook.

Will the version jump from 2.1 to 10 ? - or have I misunderstood the relationship between OS2.1 and BB10

TIA
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-21-12 02:14 AM
    The current version is 2.0

There is a beta available of 2.1 which most people say is stable and ready for release (I've been running it for a while without a hitch)

As far as we know BB10 will be the next release, whether they make 2.1 official beforehand is anyone's guess. If you don't want to wait I'd suggest heading over to https://developer.blackberry.com/register/ and putting in your pin, that signs you up for the beta and you can run 2.1 straight away
    09-21-12 02:19 AM
    I'm not in a rush to upgrade just trying to understand

To put it another way, will BB10 be "Playbook 3.0" ?
    09-21-12 03:14 AM
    Just to add to your surprise, BB10 is very different from the PB OS. They are both OS's, and that's where the comparison ends. Have you ever seen that US show where they help a family because their house is a mesh. In that show they take down the old house and build a new house in its place. That's how the OS's compare. Just search for leaked movies and you'll see. I saw it live too and it is amazing. Agonizing wait....
    09-21-12 03:19 AM
    I always tought the BB10 was the PB OS but with other name the videos shows the same OS on youtube.
    Thank you Have_a_nice_day
    09-21-12 03:40 AM
    I'm not in a rush to upgrade just trying to understand

To put it another way, will BB10 be "Playbook 3.0" ?

BB10 will be the OS for the PlayBook & the phones. They can't go OS 3.0 because the phones have "been there, done that".
    09-21-12 04:39 AM
    Regarding the version number, we assuming it will be 10.x across the board. The Dev Alpha has 10.0.6 currently, and we're expecting an update to that shortly. No reason yet to assume anything about the PlayBook BB10 update other than that it will at some point pretty much match, so maybe 10.1.x will be on it. Minor details though... the only important thing to know is that BB10 will be on the PlayBook, period.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-21-12 09:48 AM
    Yeah. The tablet OS pretty much has gone 1.0, 2.0, 2.01, and hopefully 2.1.

BlackBerry phones have gone through many different OS versions, most recently BB6, BB7, and BB7.1.

To start fresh with the new QNX OS on phones, the completely revamped phone OS is BB10, which will also be heading to the PlayBook.

Easiest way to think of it is BB10 on the PlayBook = OS 3.0.
    esk369 and Terry1100 like this.
    09-21-12 09:58 AM
    I am in no way as tech savy as most on here, but the way I understand it is as follows.
    When the PB came out it was sporting the new OS known as QNX, it was announced shortly after that that the newer phones would also be using QNX for the OS. Rather than continue with the incremental OS version like 6.0, 7.0 etc and because it was a completely new OS they decided to call the new QNX OS on the phones BB10.
    Now there are a lot of new features coming with the new BB10 OS such as cascades for example. These features will be made available for the PB as well (or we hope) once the new BB10 phones are released. At that time I am assuming they will rename the PB OS from 2.0, 2.1 to BB10.
    So in short I think QNX on the PB was the test for the future phones. And these small updates we receive for the PB are little tools that will help make the transfer to BB10 smoother if and when that happens.
    stanet12 likes this.
    09-21-12 10:03 AM
    Love the title for this thread! It should be stickied.

My 2 cents, the 4G PlayBook gets BB10, the wifi only gets the 2.1 beta forever
    09-21-12 10:09 AM
    Just to add to your surprise, BB10 is very different from the PB OS. They are both OS's, and that's where the comparison ends. Have you ever seen that US show where they help a family because their house is a mesh. In that show they take down the old house and build a new house in its place. That's how the OS's compare. Just search for leaked movies and you'll see. I saw it live too and it is amazing. Agonizing wait....
    They're not that different at all underneath. PBOS is RIm's first foray into an OS built on top of QNX. BB10 will be built on the same platform, but with more APIs, features and a better UI.

It will be a huge leap from the current phone OS though.

Here's a (very rough and not meant to be taken literally) comparison.

BBOS - MS DOS
    PBOS - Windows vista
    BB10 - Windows 7
    sagec likes this.
    09-21-12 10:14 AM
    Thanks all- so if I've got this right

Playbook users will get 2.1 (soonish)

BB10 will bring the operating systems in line - Phone and Tablet (at some point in the future)
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-21-12 10:17 AM

BB10 will bring the operating systems in line - Phone and Tablet (at some point in the future)
    LOL ....soonish....... there's one rim hasn't thought to use yet. I can see the marketing campaign ...
    09-21-12 10:21 AM

Just so... (and some more text to make it 10 chars.)
    09-21-12 10:22 AM
    As I'm new to the Blackberrysphere, here's something that I'm not quite clear on.

I see posts about BB 10 that say it will come to the PB - but all the talk is about OS 2.1 for the Playbook.

Will the version jump from 2.1 to 10 ? - or have I misunderstood the relationship between OS2.1 and BB10

TIA
    Understandable confusion my friend and welcome to the realm of blackberry.

The playbook currently is running it's own custom OS, called Playbook OS. IT's based on an earlier version of the QNX Kernel, which is at the core of the entire platform.

We have received over the course of the year, updates to the Playbook OS, and version 2.1 will be the next major one.

However, likely 2.1 will be the last one.

BB10 itself is a different Operating System. Yes it is is built around the QNX kernel as well, but it's a newer version and it was built from the ground up. Because of the hardware compatibility, Playbooks will be able to use this OS as well.

Most of us playbook owners look at the playbook as a "beta" unit. A test platform for the QNX system and where RIM went to test what they could really do with a modern system.

Now that BB10 is approaching completion, it will be the platform that RIM focuses on, moving the playbook off it's own Playbook OS onto BB10 will mean that all "current" Blackberry devices will exist within the one BB10 architecture.
    09-21-12 10:25 AM

I think you are a little confused. PB 20, 2.1 have the exact same core as BB10. If you said BB7 and BB10 were nothing alike that would make sense.
    09-21-12 10:29 AM
    It's like the magician said "nothing up my sleeves folks", and sure enough there was nuthin' up his sleeves.
    09-21-12 02:01 PM
    Love the title for this thread! It should be stickied.

My 2 cents, the 4G PlayBook gets BB10, the wifi only gets the 2.1 beta forever
    if this is the case BSR, I will be shocked and dismayed. Why would two matching devices have seperate releases...?

although strange is a common thing in these parts.
    09-22-12 02:42 AM
    To make it easy, consider PBOS 1 to be BB8, PBOS2 to be BB9, and everything comes back together with BB10.

That was never the original plan of course.
    09-22-12 03:07 AM
    2.1 is simply a patched update fixing known issues. It may bring one or two minor updates. It will generally fix a bunch of security issues and performance issues.

For example RIM suggest that flash not be used until the patch is released in full... yet is unable to roll out a minor patch fix. Should be used to this now.

Patched updates should be rolled out faster and as soon as reasonably possible once issues come to light. Serious security issues should not go unpatched whilst BB10 is still being developed.

Will this be the last patch, I doubt it.
    09-22-12 03:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD