Today's lesson ? BACK UP EARLY. BACK UP OFTEN. Last night , out of the blue, my 32GB PB dropped out of warp speed and had a full on o/s crash complete with the dreaded flashing red led symptom. Full re-install. LUCKILY I had a fairly recent back up from Dec. 22nd which saved me HOURS of rebuilding time. Lesson learned for me. How about you ?
    01-17-12 02:54 PM
    box.net .
    01-17-12 02:58 PM
    Box is good for files. Helps nothing with savegames, app config and settings.

I do backups whenever I have a chance. My laptop is toast so I need to rely om friends. I used to do them every weekend.
    01-17-12 05:09 PM
    Today's lesson ? BACK UP EARLY. BACK UP OFTEN. Last night , out of the blue, my 32GB PB dropped out of warp speed and had a full on o/s crash complete with the dreaded flashing red led symptom. Full re-install. LUCKILY I had a fairly recent back up from Dec. 22nd which saved me HOURS of rebuilding time. Lesson learned for me. How about you ?
    Very sorry to hear that and thanks for the reminder (backing up now...)
    how is the unit?
    01-17-12 05:10 PM
    I learned the painful lesson of backing-up often...after my first hard drive crash
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-17-12 at 05:28 PM.
    01-17-12 05:26 PM
    Yeah, learned that lesson years ago. Spending a few minutes backing up can save you several wasted hours...too bad my Playbook doesn't always play nice in the back up department...
    01-17-12 06:00 PM

I do backups whenever I have a chance. My laptop is toast so I need to rely om friends. I used to do them every weekend.
    That's very, ahem, nice to know!
    oldtimeBBaddict and Lhendr like this.
    01-17-12 06:02 PM
    How do i back up my playbook?
    01-17-12 06:26 PM
    You'll need the Blackberry Desktop Software installed on your computer and the usb cable that came with your Playbook. Just open the Desktop Software & plug in your Playbook (which should be turned on). Once your computer recognizes your Playbook the Back up button should be available in Desktop Software. Choose a location, click "Back up" and you should be good to go.
    01-17-12 06:41 PM
    Thanks a lot. I'm going to get on this right away.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-17-12 06:54 PM
    Good Luck getting your appdata to backup! Most of us have had a problem getting it to backup!
    01-17-12 07:20 PM

That's very, ahem, nice to know!
    Some celebrate Carnival every weekend.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    01-17-12 07:25 PM
    Backing up now!
    01-17-12 07:29 PM
    Ive been able to backup my 16gig once out of prob 8 tries.. it hasent been able to backup my app data since.. now on my 32 gig I have yet to be able to backup anything accept settings and media lol.. only stuff i care about is the app data :/ kind of a bummer.. and unless thers been recent fixes i have tried just abut every suggestion on forums lol
    Also i did try the first 2.0 beta for a couple hours when it was newish and my pb randomly crashed.. did a hard reset and no joke it restarted back on 1.7 with only the stock apps lol... just a fyi.. havent heard of it happening to anyone else but reason enough to want a successfull app data backup imo
    Last edited by Alt-F4; 01-17-12 at 07:40 PM.
    01-17-12 07:35 PM
    I could get Media & Settings to back up under a custom setting but couldn't get AppData to back up. At the suggestion of another member I just kept pushing Back Up after each failed try. On the 7th attempt it finally backed up. Don't know why & am not suggesting it would work for anyone else or that anyone would want to spend that much time on it. We should be able to back up our AppData without a hassle. RIM needs to address this issue and soon.
    01-17-12 08:41 PM
    been there done that. yep, now i'm a true belever in backups
    01-17-12 09:00 PM
    I've been backing up since I got my 9800 1 year ago, got my PB Dec. 19 and have backed up every week since with no problems...until a couple of days ago. It wouldn't back up at all, I kept at and finally got everything to back up in the custom settings, it took a little longer but it worked. I wish I knew why all of a sudden it didn't work. I actually am backing up my 9800 right now and am going to do my PB when it's done. Why do it so often? I figure it's easier to reload from the back up than reload from scratch.

Edit: Just finished backing up my PB and it did it without a hitch just as before. I don't understand it but I like it!
    Last edited by Bob314; 01-17-12 at 09:25 PM.
    01-17-12 09:18 PM
    Call me a back up freak...I am using 2 PCs and a Mac for all my mobile devices back up weekly. There are 2 external HD 1T each, one for PCs backup and one for Mac.
    01-17-12 09:54 PM
    I seem to be the one of the few (who post, anyway) who has no issues backing up my PB. I do a back-up of my PB and Torch every weekend. Oddly enough, I've never needed to use a back-up for an issue. Oops -- I probably shouldn't have said that...
    ~ecm
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-17-12 09:56 PM
    My PlayBook hasn't backed up since June. I don't have the recipe app that some people have identified as a problem, but I do remember trying to delete native AOL or Hotmail app (didn't let me) early on. I just purchased a 64GB with the sale and am giving my 32GB to my husband, so I decided it was time to deal with the backup problem. Last night, in the middle of the night, I called the Playbook Technical Support line at (877) 644-8410. A very helpful person answered and quickly realized I needed to be bumped to the next level. The second person worked with me for about 2 hours: updated BB Desktop, tried various things. In the end he said to drag-and-drop all my files from PB to PC (which is how I've been backing up my files since June) and that someone else would call me back today because his shift would be over. Another person called me back at exactly the agreed time and he also spent a long time. He logged into my computer and watched the errors (can't back up full or custom), looked at Desktop Manager log files, and in the end I emailed him the log files and sent a report from my PlayBook. You can only send the report if you already have an incident number, so you have to call support first. Report is sent from the PB by going to the Help icon and clicking Support Tools in the upper right.

The tech said he'll call me back today and hopes to have a solution after the analysis of the Desktop Manager logs and PB report, which he sent "upstairs" . He said they're very seriously looking into this issue and really want to resolve it. You may be able to spend a lot less time with tech support if the tech can't solve your problem and you tell him/her you want to send them your DM logs and PB report, if he doesn't ask. The more data they get, the better chance they have of identifying the problem.
    modine likes this.
    01-18-12 01:55 AM
    I wish Blackberry protect work on playbook. Anyone knows why it's only on phone?
    01-18-12 04:52 AM
    Thanks, please keep us updated. It's been June since my Playbook backed up successfully as well.
    01-18-12 08:05 AM
    Besides the recipe app (Presidents Choice????), another implicated is the XXX-maps on device gps program. The programs are not really at fault as the Rim software apparently cannot handle either the size of the files or number of files these apps use/create.

But suggestions which have SOMETIMES helped is to turn off wifi and bt and turn on developers' mode (security settings)
    01-18-12 10:19 AM
    I've had my 64gb playbook for about 2 weeks now, and have never once been able to successfully backup. =( I have probably tried about 2 dozen times and it always has an error saying to make sure its connected. it backed up my settings once, which was only like 1.5mb, other than that, it will not backup at all. very frustrating.
    01-18-12 11:02 AM
    Good Luck getting your appdata to backup! Most of us have had a problem getting it to backup!
    I've found that if I have bluetooth and wifi enabled on the PB I cannot back it up. Turning those connections off while plugged into the laptop will increase your backup success rate.
    01-18-12 11:16 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD