With the PlayBook launching in the UK tomorrow (albeit via an exclusive one day early launch for Carphone Warehouse). This marks the last day where I get to be among the elite few hundred PB users in the UK; with my ever so rare imported PlayBook. No longer will I be able to observe peoples faces as they are amazed by this unknown technology and ask "what is that?".

So ends my final day of exclusivity.

I love my PlayBook.
    smcaul, pkcable, bjw408h and 1 others like this.
    06-14-11 04:34 PM
    meh maybe the bbc will make some content apps after the release. i do like my top gear, dr who, and bbc world news.
    chiefbroski and Just Me like this.
    06-14-11 04:40 PM
    I'm happy �-- see!
    I don't care if I'm among 10's or 10's of thousands that own this awesome little machine.... more people to video chat to lol.
    Just kidding about the video chat part. But good on them for being able to get their hands one one.... the more the merrier... and good for RIM too
    nmcgregor1 likes this.
    06-14-11 04:45 PM
    Im sure after the UK release there will be plenty of people asking what it is. I do not have faith in the marketing.
    bjw408h, tharrison4815 and cfoxx like this.
    06-14-11 04:55 PM
    No longer will I be able to observe peoples faces as they are amazed by this unknown technology and ask "what is that?".

Honestly, here in the US nobody even asked me 'what's that'?
    People here are used to using/seeing iPads and this is just another tablet 'thing'.
    06-14-11 05:25 PM
    People in UK have not seen any other tablets? Find this hard to believe!
    06-14-11 05:33 PM
    People are always asking me if my PB is an ipad. I tell them that it sure isn't as the PB has access to the full internet. Then I demonstrate the PB for them and they are instant fans.

Got to hand it to Apple though. They're great marketers.
    06-14-11 05:39 PM
    People in UK have not seen any other tablets? Find this hard to believe!
    Non that have the classy look of the PB
    06-14-11 06:22 PM
    I'm happy �-- see!
    I don't care if I'm among 10's or 10's of thousands that own this awesome little machine.... more people to video chat to lol.
    Just kidding about the video chat part. But good on them for being able to get their hands one one.... the more the merrier... and good for RIM too
    aww was looking forward to your username so i could add you to my video chat
    06-14-11 07:46 PM
    aww was looking forward to your username so i could add you to my video chat

muahahahaha
    06-14-11 07:49 PM
    People are always asking me if my PB is an ipad. I tell them that it sure isn't as the PB has access to the full internet. Then I demonstrate the PB for them and they are instant fans.

Got to hand it to Apple though. They're great marketers.
    And they are about to get better with the 7 inch they have on the way. Maybe by years end.
    06-14-11 07:58 PM
    If Apple updates their OS, they might well be on to something.
    06-14-11 08:06 PM

Honestly, here in the US nobody even asked me 'what's that'?
    People here are used to using/seeing iPads and this is just another tablet 'thing'.
    Had plenty of people in the US wonder what it was. It's obviously smaller than the ipad and it's not even shaped the same and has completely different corners...
    06-14-11 08:08 PM
    And they are about to get better with the 7 inch they have on the way. Maybe by years end.
    What grade of sandpaper comes with the 7 inch?
    06-14-11 08:23 PM
    I understand your sadness. I bought my Scion xB when they only had a limited release. Quickly debadged it and had tons of people trying to figure out WTF it was. It was a fun time, especially when there was a dozen of us rolling together. The looks on people's faces were priceless.

I get quite a few questions about my PB. The completely clueless will ask if its an iPad, even tho I can tell they know its not. It's their only frame of reference. I get a lot f people asking if ts the Galaxy Tab, since the size is the same. Believe it or not, I've actually had a few people ask if it was the Playbook and they all got a little excited when they found out it was. I've also shown it to several iPad owners that love the smaller, more portable size. I think its funny that SJobs condemned the whole 7 inch market, cuz they would probably sell a ton more and its right up their alley since they are just resizing their phone...
    06-14-11 08:56 PM
    here in Jakarta, when people saw my playbook, these are what most of them ask :
    1. What is that?
    2. What can it do? ( or what is the advantage )

and the last and most annoying question :
    3. Why don't you get an iPad?
    06-14-11 09:27 PM
    meh maybe the bbc will make some content apps after the release. i do like my top gear, dr who, and bbc world news.
    Top Gear App = Best idea to date

In the meantime check out the free "Car and Driver Time Trial" app.
    06-14-11 10:25 PM
    Don't worry - average people still won't know what you have in hand - maybe ask "is that an iPad?"

And considering the low sales numbers, it won't change quickly.

So - smiiile
    06-14-11 10:29 PM
    I have had 3 or 4 people ask...is that an ipad??? Its a little annoying to me that people are so easily led like sheep. I let one guy play with it & thought I was going to have to fight him to get it back, I needed to go!!!
    06-14-11 10:29 PM
    Don't worry - average people still won't know what you have in hand - maybe ask "is that an iPad?"

And considering the low sales numbers, it won't change quickly.

So - smiiile
    Happened to me too - "did you get an iPad" I had to quickly correct that impression , it was embarrassing. This will change - people will be asking iPad 3 owners - is that a Playbook?
    06-14-11 11:28 PM
    why do you even care what others will be using?for me its my life and i could care less what devices others are using. if i like the device i will buy and use it. if i don't like, then not going to buy it.simple as that.also when you say elite what does that mean?there can be no such thing.its not like you have the power over other people.its leaves me clueless to see where folks make up things like this.
    06-14-11 11:31 PM
    With the PlayBook launching in the UK tomorrow (albeit via an exclusive one day early launch for Carphone Warehouse). This marks the last day where I get to be among the elite few hundred PB users in the UK; with my ever so rare imported PlayBook. No longer will I be able to observe peoples faces as they are amazed by this unknown technology and ask "what is that?".

So ends my final day of exclusivity.

I love my PlayBook.
    Hehe.... I think I an the only one with PlayBook in Brunei. So far I have not seen anyone, nor have the shops started to sell here. Assume I can enjoy this exclusive position for a bit longer
    06-14-11 11:57 PM
    why do you even care what others will be using?for me its my life and i could care less what devices others are using. if i like the device i will buy and use it. if i don't like, then not going to buy it.simple as that.also when you say elite what does that mean?there can be no such thing.its not like you have the power over other people.its leaves me clueless to see where folks make up things like this.
    Don't worry I'm not being serious. I just wanted to come up with a fun way of saying "the PlayBook is out tomorrow!!!!". I'm actually quite excited to see how the market behaves here compared to the US, and I can finally get myself some accessories without more importing.
    06-15-11 12:13 AM
    People are constantly asking me what my Playbook is because they've never seen them over here in the UK, and hardly anybody owns one!

And after the launch tomorrow... I don't expect this to change.
    06-15-11 05:47 AM
    One day last week I happened to show my dad an email attachment on the Playbook. He too has a BB smartphone. My sister then pulls out her ipad. My dad was not that impressed. He asked me what's that, when I told him it was a Blackberry Playbook, he was stunned. Since then he was itching for one and finally this past Sunday he went and bought one. He is more set up than I am, with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. To my dad, the Playbook was more business oriented and the ipad just a toy. I been loving my Playbook ever since it was released.
    06-15-11 04:09 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD