I received my 32Gb Playbook as a Christmas gift along with a host of accessories, the least of which being a rapid charger and convertible case. I asked specifically for the PB and had a serious hunch it was coming in all along. I spent a good week on CB researching what I could and couldn't do with the machine before I had it, mostly so I wouldn't have to noob around with the UI and technicalities.

Fast forward to the 25th: I'm turning the machine on and a bit annoyed that I have to download a giant update. I'm happy that I happen to be in an area with wifi but imagine those other poor schleps who received this amazing gift in a house with wired-only internet. Alas...

Come today I've now got OS 2 dev. beta loaded, a few basic apps running, and a copy of Xilisoft set to convert videos with poorly (as per PB standards) coded audio to something functional. I'm a swiping machine, have my 9800 bridged, and showing off my PB at work constantly. I feel I'm being annoying but care not... I've got a new favourite toy.

THEN last night I realize something: bridging to my phone allows me to use just about every app I have. I don't need to use "bridge browser" to access the net. I check that my wifi is disconnected and pray that I didn't accidentally hit "tethering on". Heck no! I scour through CB and finally find an old thread about apps running off my 3G data plan!

I run it through my head: I don't need to pay for or add on a tethering plan to use my PB outside a wifi area. I don't need to pay for an extra data plan to hook my PB up to some 3G signal. Heck no! So long as my phone is around (which might as well be sewn into my body) I have full access to the internet, as far as I can tell. I don't need appworld on the move, though it would be nice, but yes... this post is just my way of screaming at the top of my lungs that I am so very very happy with my PB. It's the best thing I own and thank you CB for helping me realize it!
    01-03-12 08:06 AM
    Success!

Welcome to Crackberry - thanks for posting your delight. Happy you have become enlightened.

Now you must enlighten me as to what tl;dr means - I keep seeing it thinking it's a typo lol
    01-03-12 09:37 AM
    ....there are folks today who know quite a bit about Blackberry, good and bad, but dang it, if you mention Bridge to most people who don't have a Playbook, they stare at you clueless. That is the one feature RIM failed in really promoting.

Welcome OP!
    01-03-12 09:41 AM
    Now you must enlighten me as to what tl;dr means - I keep seeing it thinking it's a typo lol
    tl;dr = Too Long, didn't read

Just internet slang for "blah blah blah whatever, dude". Useful in many forums when seeing posts of (for example) meandering rants as to the faults of a particular product/company/CEO, or just when someone posts another stock-analyst "news" post.

Enjoy!
    01-03-12 10:14 AM
    tl;dr = Too Long, didn't read

Just internet slang for "blah blah blah whatever, dude". Useful in many forums when seeing posts of (for example) meandering rants as to the faults of a particular product/company/CEO, or just when someone posts another stock-analyst "news" post.

Enjoy!
    ahh thanks... useful acronym.
    01-03-12 10:19 AM
    Fast forward to the 25th: I'm turning the machine on and a bit annoyed that I have to download a giant update. I'm happy that I happen to be in an area with wifi but imagine those other poor schleps who received this amazing gift in a house with wired-only internet.
    Welcome!
    Now a tablet with wired-only internet?
    01-03-12 11:05 AM
    Welcome!
    Now a tablet with wired-only internet?
    that's when you have a 9900 or 9810 or whatever with os 7.1 with wifi hotspot
    01-03-12 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD