Bye bye!!!!
    03-05-13 05:43 PM
    I wonder if anyone here has gone through what Symbian users went through as Nokia promised, kept promising, and then didn't deliver.

The first Symbian^3 devices, touted to be the best yet, were released in late 2010. UI and functionality updates were promised "soon" but the first update came a year later (Qwerty keyboard, finally!) and then the UI update came in late 2012, two years after launch. By that time, a newer lineup of Symbian^3 devices had come out that supported a newer version of the OS. The older devices could only run a stripped-down version that had major features left out.

That sounds like what's going to happen with the Playbook. Ironically, Nokia dumped Symbian to Accenture in 2011 and ran into the arms of Microsoft and Windows Phone. Symbian users have been stuck with a trickle of middling updates while major bugs are still left open because there's no one left to work on the OS. Nokia also had Meego, a Linux-based OS that was supposed to have replaced Symbian. That was late, incomplete and Nokia decided to wash its hands off the whole thing by releasing the N9 and leaving potential customers with a device forever stuck in beta.

I hope Blackberry has learned this lesson - if you can't get software development right, the fast update cycles of the tech industry will kill you. Your hardware will be a generation or two behind the cutting edge on release and your devices won't have much of a lifespan in the market.

Blackberry is also making a big gamble with BB10 and the Z10 by not requiring BIS/BES. Carriers don't have to pay the network access fees that makes up a big chunk of Blackberry revenue.
    Bakamushi likes this.
    03-05-13 07:19 PM
    You havnt tried the new jelly bean tabs then. Never once saw a cbekerboard on my note 10.1
    Stability has nothing to do with checkerboarding. I cannot however vouch for the stability of the new android to any flavor of QNX as I have had limited time with a newer android tablet. The transformer ia mostly stable but notheless I have had it crash when I used it not unlike my playbook. I am looking forward to the BB10 update although dreading the possible limitations due to BB10 loving to eat up ram. I suppose ram is there to be used so one could argue not utilizing ram is wasteful as well. We will see.
    03-05-13 07:20 PM
    I wonder if anyone here has gone through what Symbian users went through as Nokia promised, kept promising, and then didn't deliver.

The first Symbian^3 devices, touted to be the best yet, were released in late 2010. UI and functionality updates were promised "soon" but the first update came a year later (Qwerty keyboard, finally!) and then the UI update came in late 2012, two years after launch. By that time, a newer lineup of Symbian^3 devices had come out that supported a newer version of the OS. The older devices could only run a stripped-down version that had major features left out.

That sounds like what's going to happen with the Playbook. Ironically, Nokia dumped Symbian to Accenture in 2011 and ran into the arms of Microsoft and Windows Phone. Symbian users have been stuck with a trickle of middling updates while major bugs are still left open because there's no one left to work on the OS. Nokia also had Meego, a Linux-based OS that was supposed to have replaced Symbian. That was late, incomplete and Nokia decided to wash its hands off the whole thing by releasing the N9 and leaving potential customers with a device forever stuck in beta.

I hope Blackberry has learned this lesson - if you can't get software development right, the fast update cycles of the tech industry will kill you. Your hardware will be a generation or two behind the cutting edge on release and your devices won't have much of a lifespan in the market.

Blackberry is also making a big gamble with BB10 and the Z10 by not requiring BIS/BES. Carriers don't have to pay the network access fees that makes up a big chunk of Blackberry revenue.
    Don't see the parallel here. In order for this to work BBOS would have had to have had an overhaul promised and not delivered. I believe os7 was that overhaul and it was delivered. Then os1, os2, BB10. I think that's called not failing to deliver. Blackberry is doing quite well on the update/upgrade front. In fact I would argue they are doing better now thab ever before.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 07:24 PM
    One should not confuse support for a premier device (Z10 and Q10) and support to an older device, which is what the PlayBook is now. Yes, the PlayBook was not a marketing success but I give full marks to BB for continuing to provide support and upgrades, albeit in the background relative to the work being done on BB10 for the Z10 and Q10.

If I had wanted a bleeding edge tablet, I would not have sought out a heavily discounted two year old PlayBook. I wanted a good solid reliable, fast and _stable_ tablet that lets me communicate and work on the go. All the other features are a bonus and much appreciated, but not central to my list of needs. Those requiring the full range of apps now should indeed be looking elsewhere.

To the OP, I say adieu and bonne chance.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 07:46 PM
    Because it was suppose to - the real issue is that you should have had a larger pan on the shelf below it. Or you could have put less filling into the pie. Speaking of which, I have two frozen apple pie innards in my freezer waiting till I make a crust and bake them. I have an apple tree and sliced, sugared and did the rest of the prep and froze them inside a pie tin in the shape of a pie.
    Live and learn. The smoke detectors work.
    The crust was fantastic. A blend of white and almond flour, ice cold butter and water.
    The end result was good. The lasagna was good too.

My house is normally gluten and dairy free. While the cats away...the mouse has a party.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 08:02 PM
    Can I have your apps?
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 08:07 PM
    One should not confuse support for a premier device (Z10 and Q10) and support to an older device, which is what the PlayBook is now. Yes, the PlayBook was not a marketing success but I give full marks to BB for continuing to provide support and upgrades, albeit in the background relative to the work being done on BB10 for the Z10 and Q10.

If I had wanted a bleeding edge tablet, I would not have sought out a heavily discounted two year old PlayBook. I wanted a good solid reliable, fast and _stable_ tablet that lets me communicate and work on the go. All the other features are a bonus and much appreciated, but not central to my list of needs. Those requiring the full range of apps now should indeed be looking elsewhere.

To the OP, I say adieu and bonne chance.
    to
    I think that Blackberry wanted to be a Leading Edge Tablet and i think the Playbook Build is a leading edge tablet. Unfortunately they hit a few bumps along the way and misjudged consumer opinion and demand for what they were selling and its been catch up ever since. Blackberry would never say to someone ...The playbook is 2 years old and you should go elsewhere for a better tablet experience. They would (and should) fight to keep every playbook owner satisfied, because its 1.5 to 2 million customers and no corporate entity is going to ignore or write off that many customers. They would do so at their own peril. JMO
    uncle_numpty likes this.
    03-05-13 08:11 PM
    Live and learn. The smoke detectors work.
    The crust was fantastic. A blend of white and almond flour, ice cold butter and water.
    The end result was good. The lasagna was good too.

My house is normally gluten and dairy free. While the cats away...the mouse has a party.
    Wow, a party and I was not invited. And, boy, did you ever abandon that gluten free environment. You'll probably have to post a sign "Gluten containing products baked here!" Is the epi-pen ready?
    03-05-13 09:11 PM
    I have a Ipad Mini, a Nexus 7 droid, a 64 G PlayBook bought day 1, a Ipad 2. All have their place and I do want a OS10 for PlayBook soon..

CCBubba
    axllebeer and amjass12 like this.
    03-05-13 09:20 PM
    lol ok bye!
    03-05-13 11:33 PM
    I don't care about you or your devices. Bye!
    03-06-13 03:48 AM
    The crippling of BlackBerry Bridge between BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry PlayBook is an error on the part of BlackBerry management. This feature made the smartphone and tablet duo unbearable for smartphones running BlackBerry OS 5/6/7.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10[/QUOTE]

i like to think that it has been temoprarily crippled.. noone in blackberry management (who is in the right frame of mind) would have seen how succesful the feature was and decided to eliminate it with the itnroduction of bb10.

It must be a technical thing they r working on, with an update to bridge (hopefully soon) that will bring all of that functionality back!!... oh and hopefully bb10 comes to the playbook soon also!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-06-13 06:20 AM
    Well if the OP is getting rid of his Playbook then so will I...NOT!!! I think the OP should start a movement demanding BB10 for the Playbook. He and his followers can all sit around a campfire holding hands while singing Kumbaya...

bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 06:55 AM
    Hey if you're going to get rid of your Playbook, can I have it?
    03-06-13 06:56 AM
    It must be a technical thing they r working on, with an update to bridge (hopefully soon) that will bring all of that functionality back!!... oh and hopefully bb10 comes to the playbook soon also!!
    <tongue in cheek>Cos they never had +2 years to notice that this small part of the OS functionality wasn't working</tongue in cheek>
    03-06-13 07:23 AM
    Even at my age I am always willing to learn so please bestow upon me this sacred knowledge that you have about JUST WHAT RIM has learned in the past two years. Do they listen to their customer base more = No, do they communicate their intended problem rectification to customers more = No.

I am now VERY intrigued to learn how they have changed?
    Do you read the blackberry blog?....if you did you would realize that they do indeed listen.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 07:41 AM
    Do you read the blackberry blog?....if you did you would realize that they do indeed listen.
    Listen and understand?

Or

Listen and ignore?
    03-06-13 08:13 AM
    Listen and understand?

Or

Listen and ignore?
    Give it a read and you would see that its listen and understand,quite a number of fixes that come with updates are from feedback
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 08:44 AM
    Give it a read and you would see that its listen and understand,quite a number of fixes that come with updates are from feedback
    In that case could they please listen to this plea from the heart.

"EMPLOY PEOPLE WHO CAN READ FASTER SO THAT THEY CAN FIX THE PROBLEMS FASTER"

Mind you having said that it only took them three weeks to fix an inherent gmail problem that they released the Z10 with on board. To that I say we'll done.
    03-06-13 09:06 AM
    Cos they never had +2 years to notice that this small part of the OS functionality wasn't working
    Cos every technical glitch in an entirely new operating system just takes a wave of the ol' geekwand and tapping two magic pocket protectors together three times to fix right?
    sad_old_man and eldricho like this.
    03-06-13 09:13 AM
    Cos every technical glitch in an entirely new operating system just takes a wave of the ol' geekwand and tapping two magic pocket protectors together three times to fix right?
    What if it's not entirely new?
    03-06-13 09:42 AM
    You are aware that BlackBerry has eliminated the requirement of a BIS or BES data plans for BlackBerry OS 10 smartphones, right? The subscriber base will be significantly reduced as current subscribers move to BlackBerry Z10 et. al.

The crippling of BlackBerry Bridge between BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry PlayBook is an error on the part of BlackBerry management. This feature made the smartphone and tablet duo unbearable for smartphones running BlackBerry OS 5/6/7.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    PB doesn't have BB10 yet. BB management knows what they are doing. They know far more than we will ever know. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its an error. I'm looking forward to what bridge actually becomes.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 10:16 AM
    PB doesn't have BB10 yet. BB management knows what they are doing. They know far more than we will ever know. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its an error. I'm looking forward to what bridge actually becomes.
    It's took a while for me to stop laughing at that. That's the funniest comment I've ever seen posted with reference to 'BB management. I will immediately stop drinking brandy and swap to whatever it is that your drinking.

Ha ha ha ha its hilarious to say the least! Are you related to any members of the Monty Python team by the way?
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-13 10:25 AM
    A Bridge to NOWHERE.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-13 10:57 AM
186 ... 23456 ...