As nice as BB10 is having or not having it doesn't, in my eyes, make my PB any less of a device. Irrespective of OS I can still get my emails, browse the web, play a few games etc.

It's functionality is not lessened at all, my Z10 is a great device, and I enjoy using both as is.
    True - but it will get to a point where certain sites wont work - or videos or music wont play becasue of the codec is not supported, app's won't be updated etc.

And if the above is true then that point could be rapidly approaching
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-13 06:01 AM
    Play book os 10 fall of 2013 . If thats what they say it means it will never happen. I love my Pb with its age I doubt any further support, if playbook gets the new os I will be very surprised.
    Why wouldn't the PB get "PB10"? Same OS as Z/Q10. TH said all existing PBs will be updated. Remember, QNX is the OS. PB2.1, BB10 are essentially UIs. (i.e. software).
    03-05-13 06:06 AM
    They used the PB as a testbed for QNX and the Z10 and now they've abandoned it Or done the absolute minimum required to support it, instead of cultivating that same user base to buy the Z10 and further Blackberry devices. The goodwill Blackberry could have gotten from having a BB10 PB update done early would have been huge... now it's all slowly simmering disappointment all over the net.
    FF22 and zynks like this.
    03-05-13 06:09 AM
    I can't slate slate the guy for jumping ship..... but there is no way we have kept BB afloat....

I use my playbook most days when out working - the single most useful feature is the the print to go app - I use this all the time to print paperwork off my laptop for meetings and just to save the walk to find a printer when I need access to a copy of something. Plus the bridge to my curve 9360 work phone is excellent - hate the idea of having my contacts and calendar on the tablet so keep all that on the curve.

BUT I'd be amazed if I ever see BB10 on it - I've had my playbook for over a year and its been available for almost 2 years - lets face it this thing is ancient in technology terms. I don't believe a word they say in respect of the PB, if they truly believed that it was coming there wouldn't be the slash and burn pricing.

I also have an asus transformer tab ft100 - it was updated to Ice cream sandwich but no chance of anything else (officially) - but it still does what I wanted it to when I bought it - and it actually still does it really well after 2 years. The asus gets used at home by everyone - the playbook never comes out of my laptop case at home. Its all the about the apps or lack of them....

What I have found is that I prefer the 10" screen size for documents so am also looking at the note 10.1 - love Jelly bean on my personal S3.

BB10 on my playbook would be great - but it really isn't going to change much on it, I think we should be looking at BB10 (lite) if anything (which will be very similar to os2.1 imho) and if it is 8 months away my pb will likely be covered in dust as it will have reached its end of life for me by then.
    brianatbb and DPSydBerry like this.
    03-05-13 06:11 AM
    True - but it will get to a point where certain sites wont work - or videos or music wont play becasue of the codec is not supported, app's won't be updated etc.

Given I have an old Windows XP laptop at home that is used for web browsing while watching TV and XP is what 10 or 11 years old, I reckon there's a bit more life in the PB yet
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 06:12 AM

The above are not true. Sites will work. Codecs added. "BB10" app player added. Anything that runs on a Z10 can run on a PB as the OS for both devices are the same, namely, QNX. The only difference will how suites of processes are handled because of the lower specs of the PB meaning perhaps that the "hub" won't be present on "PB10". Browser and app support should be supported as they run on QNX which is the same QNX OS found on Z/Q10 phones.

After all this time, it still appears that many do not recognize that QNX is BB's new OS. "PB2.1" and "BB10" are UI packages running on QNX. The developer alpha ran "BB10" with hardware essentially the same as the PlayBook's. It wasn't optimal but the PB doesn't have to run a phone nor does it need the hub. "BB10" browser, "BB10" app player and "BB10" keyboard all will run on the PB or any QNX equipped OS.
    axllebeer and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 06:44 AM
    They used the PB as a testbed for QNX and the Z10 and now they've abandoned it Or done the absolute minimum required to support it, instead of cultivating that same user base to buy the Z10 and further Blackberry devices. The goodwill Blackberry could have gotten from having a BB10 PB update done early would have been huge... now it's all slowly simmering disappointment all over the net.
    Don't worry. PB10 will come in due course. As far as cultivating a user base, BB has been successful as far as this QNX fan is concerned. Can't wait to get my hands on a Z10. QNX is a superb OS. I'm just itching to try the latest UI (BB10).
    03-05-13 07:02 AM
    Enjoy the substandard droid OS. It's stability pales in comparison with OS 2.0 and bb10.
    Would be really awesome if people didn't bash other platforms
    anitajj, seamonky and axllebeer like this.
    03-05-13 07:16 AM
    the single most useful feature is the the print to go app
    Well, you think that's what it is

lets face it this thing is ancient in technology terms.
    1. There is a newer PlayBook. and

2. How exactly are you inhibited by the 'acient tech'? I think people love to say tech is dated for the sake of saying "tech is dated". What is the technology phsyically incapable of running that you want to run?

I don't believe a word they say in respect of the PB, if they truly believed that it was coming there wouldn't be the slash and burn pricing.
    They slash and burn the old WiFi model that had a big retail inventory problem. Haven't seen them slash and burn the LTE product that is more narrowly distributed. And what's to say they won't do a relaunch?

BB10 on my playbook would be great - but it really isn't going to change much on it, I think we should be looking at BB10 (lite) if anything (which will be very similar to os2.1 imho) and if it is 8 months away my pb will likely be covered in dust as it will have reached its end of life for me by then.
    Personally, I'd wait and see what comes on it before leaping to conclusions
    03-05-13 07:21 AM

In my fairly recent tablet-shopping spree (well 'comparison' spree), I could not find any tablet that played an AVI (divx / xvid) movie file without conversion hassle. I found codec support generally SO bad in other tablets (as well as puny storage space for the price point I could afford) that I figured I might as well stick with my 60Gb iPod for the amount of cash I'd otherwise be spending. Unfortunately, the Playbook didn't flash up in searches for tablets supporting AVI (why???) so ultimately I didn't buy anything (my iPod could play movies okay - just a small screen).

I was given my first Playbook and was amazed that I could play 90% of my movies without doing a thing to them. Seems the Playbook somehow became Blackberry's best-kept secret - which is sad.
    uncle_numpty and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 07:29 AM
    Good luck with whatever you decide. I am not done with my playboook yet, still gets used everyday and does what i need it too. I did sell my BB7 in favour of an android phone, this was only as i didnt want to part with �500 for a Z10, and the Bold was starting to play up a bit
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    03-05-13 07:56 AM
    In my fairly recent tablet-shopping spree (well 'comparison' spree), I could not find any tablet that played an AVI (divx / xvid) movie file without conversion hassle.
    As an aside on this, I use Handbrake. It's free, it's easy and it's really fast. TV shows and movies convert often in a few minutes and you can queue them up. I usually use the old iPhone format (480 x 360) ... lower res but it saves space and I find it looks ok on the small screen.
    03-05-13 08:24 AM
    I personally am here to stay. I like my PB and use it every day. I would like an update to 10 but if it does not come so be it. I am and continue to use my PB. It does what I want it to do and works for me. At the end of the day is that not what we all want, sorry if you do not agree just my two cents...
    QERNB and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 08:31 AM
    Enjoy the substandard droid OS. It's stability pales in comparison with OS 2.0 and bb10.
    I haven't found that true in my case. I don't have a Z10, but my BB9.99 PlayBook becomes very unstable once I open more than a few apps, as it doesn't manage memory very well. It closes apps on it's own (not caches, but completely quits and you start over from scratch), apps won't open (stuck on BB screen) or open then immeiately quit, graphic elements bleed over from one app to another, etc. I realize the Z10 has more memory and an arbitrary 8 open apps limit to avoid the problem, but still that seems like a workaround.

On the other hand, Android caches running apps as needed, in effect giving near-inifinite memory. Just for fun, I tried opening nearly every app in my app drawer, and switched between them all without any problems whatsoever. The nice thing is cached apps are saved in their running state (versus quitting like on the PlayBook), so when I switch back they're exactly as I left them. There's no need to manually manage memory or worry about how many apps you have open, and no noticable speed or stability penalty. You just use your phone, and it works. Android manages the memory for you.

The only time I've encountered a problem with Android was when I foolishly listened to "expert" advice and installed a task killer app that supposedly closes unnecessary background tasks. It apparently closed my "unnecessary" clock app overnight lol, and my alarm never went off. Once I read up more on how it all works, I removed those things and "let android be android" as they say, and it's been flawless.
    rnhld and wpgteacher like this.
    03-05-13 08:47 AM
    I haven't found that true in my case. I don't have a Z10, but my BB9.99 PlayBook becomes very unstable once I open more than a few apps, as it doesn't manage memory very well. It closes apps on it's own (not caches, but completely quits and you start over from scratch), apps won't open (stuck on BB screen) or open then immeiately quit, graphic elements bleed over from one app to another, etc. I realize the Z10 has more memory and an arbitrary 8 open apps limit to avoid the problem, but still that seems like a workaround.

On the other hand, Android caches running apps as needed, in effect giving near-inifinite memory. Just for fun, I tried opening nearly every app in my app drawer, and switched between them all without any problems whatsoever. The nice thing is cached apps are saved in their running state (versus quitting like on the PlayBook), so when I switch back they're exactly as I left them. There's no need to manually manage memory or worry about how many apps you have open, and no noticable speed or stability penalty. You just use your phone, and it works. Android manages the memory for you.

The only time I've encountered a problem with Android was when I foolishly listened to "expert" advice and installed a task killer app that supposedly closes unnecessary background tasks. It apparently closed my "unnecessary" clock app overnight lol, and my alarm never went off. Once I read up more on how it all works, I removed those things and "let android be android" as they say, and it's been flawless.
    I haven't tried it but I would imagine that if one were "dumb down" the PB in the "general" tab to "pausing" open applications that the PB would keep open a lot more apps. While it might be a useful feature to have under some circumstances, the true strength of the PB's OS lies in multitasking. I am generally set to the default behavior but often set to "showcase" when I have processes running that I'm cross referencing. Learning to fully exploit multitasking takes some time because we all came from the "in out", "one thing at a time" paradigm and old habits die hard.
    03-05-13 08:59 AM
    OK. Just tried to see how many processes I could run while set to "paused".

Browser
    Contacts
    Bejeweled
    Weather
    Calculator
    Compass
    App World
    Evernote

Nine apps not including the UI. Didn't bother trying any more but just a mix of big and small, native and third party. QNX is amazing. The PB can do all this with relatively modest processing hardware. Just checked and bringing up the keyboard to write this post (predictive text and all) booted the contacts app. So, eight apps in all practicality.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-05-13 09:17 AM
    I haven't tried it but I would imagine that if one were "dumb down" the PB in the "general" tab to "pausing" open applications that the PB would keep open a lot more apps. While it might be a useful feature to have under some circumstances, the true strength of the PB's OS lies in multitasking. I am generally set to the default behavior but often set to "showcase" when I have processes running that I'm cross referencing. Learning to fully exploit multitasking takes some time because we all came from the "in out", "one thing at a time" paradigm and old habits die hard.
    I've played with those settiings (pause, default, showcase) and it didn't seem to have any effect. What I find inconvenient though is how BB10 closes the app, rather than caching it, so you have to start over when you open it again. In Android, that paradigm doesn't exist: everything is in effect "open," you never need to relaunch anything.

I realize "multitasking" is a controversial issue, but Android obviously does multitask in it's own way since I still get my emails, IMs, PlayStore downloads, etc. while browsing the web or whatever. And music of course plays in the background too, notifications arrive from various apps, etc. Android apparently keeps priority *processes* alive, while caching the app itself, so to some extent I assume it's up to the developer how well an app "multitasks."

Again not bashing the PlayBook, I enjoy mine. It's more pleasant to swipe and slide than tap and click, and the built-in apps (messages, calendar, etc.) seem more professional to me than the Android versions. But now that I'm straddling the BB/Android divide with a PlayBook and Droid, I'm learning to appreciate the cool things about Android too
    03-05-13 09:29 AM
    Enough is enough I've been with my playbook since day one and it has never got much better everytime you click on cracks berry its just blackberry 10 this blackberry 10 that and nothing to look forward to on the playbook I think it's days are about finished so time to move mine on and try another tablet to many rumors and promises that never came true its us loyal playbook owners that's kept rim going but now they don't seem interested in the playbook.
    R.I.P
    PlayBook
    If PB owners had kept RIM going they wouldn't have had to slash the price by 60-80pct to sell the measly 1.5 million units they manufactured. the Bb10 update for the PB won't arrive till the end of 2013 so f you want to get something else, now is the time.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD
    03-05-13 09:37 AM
    Would be really awesome if people didn't bash other platforms

Keep in mind this is 'fanboy' heaven....BlackBerry...can do no wrong here....Heins can do no wrong....Playbook is the single greatest 'tablet' in existence (tongue inserted firmly in cheek)..and just wait for os2....os2.1...os2.1336....0s2.1566...os10.....

Did you notice that when some people where pointing out problems with their z10s....the first comments were....wait for the os update....ffs

If the guy is tired of waiting HES tired of waiting.....so give it a rest with the pile on......and if os10 is coming to the playbook in Autumn....it may as well be never for some....and to others..it will be business as usual. Waiting, waiting, hoping, hoping.
    03-05-13 09:53 AM
    I believe he said bye to them on the last good bye thread.
    He did, and still he posts his "Goodbye, and I mean it this time" threads here instead of the "Leaving BB" sub forum. His last thread he claimed he was leaving because RIM lied about the BB10 update being released by end of Feb, which of course they never did.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 10:27 AM
    Play book os 10 fall of 2013 . If thats what they say it means it will never happen. I love my Pb with its age I doubt any further support, if playbook gets the new os I will be very surprised.
    I remember the same comments about 2.0 never coming, 2.1 never coming and then "BB10 is never coming". BB has stated it several times now that BB10 will be available for the PB, so it will.
    sad_old_man and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 10:35 AM
    Keep in mind this is 'fanboy' heaven....BlackBerry...can do no wrong here....Heins can do no wrong....Playbook is the single greatest 'tablet' in existence (tongue inserted firmly in cheek)..and just wait for os2....os2.1...os2.1336....0s2.1566...os10.....

Did you notice that when some people where pointing out problems with their z10s....the first comments were....wait for the os update....ffs

If the guy is tired of waiting HES tired of waiting.....so give it a rest with the pile on......and if os10 is coming to the playbook in Autumn....it may as well be never for some....and to others..it will be business as usual. Waiting, waiting, hoping, hoping.
    You're right, this IS a fanboy site, but there is also a lot of good constructive criticism that is tactfully debated and discussed. That being said, constant bashing is just as tiresome as blind fanboyism, evidenced by your post history. Thankfully you're here to remind us what a piece of crap the PB and BB is, with a little " I love my PB" thrown in just for balance, right?
    mk2234 and bungaboy like this.
    03-05-13 11:00 AM

Never a truer word have I heard. The guy is just pissed by the way RIM treat there customers and let's be honest boys and girls you can't blame him. I went through this exact phase and naively posted my frustrations on this forum in the expectation that I would receive helpful comments only to received exactly the same bombardment of even more frustrating comments regarding a new update that will fix everything.

Well I have two Z10s and I don't even care if, when or whatever happens to bb10 on my pb because it will definitely not be updated because IT WORKS for me as it is. If it isn't broken don't fix it.

Also RIM have not learned anything whatsoever. They released the Z10 supposedly as a financial savior of the company and I gave my first one to my son because they released bb10 with an error in the coding meaning it wouldn't function correctly with Gmail, amongst several other sites. Amazingly a few short weeks after its release it received an update and hey presto! It now works perfectly but how many new users have they pissed off in the process that have returned their Z10s. All of them lost potential customers,

Don't harass the member, try to understand his frustration and harass RIM instead. Won't do you any good but it will make me feel better.
    03-05-13 11:10 AM
    Why on earth do you think, for one iota of a nanosecond, that we care. Sorry, but, I wouldn't have missed you or known you were gone.

The Nexus 7 battery is lousy BTW.

Bye.
    Don't wanna sound harsh or anything, but I too see little reason to be bothered about this.

Now if Bla1ze, Big Bad Worlf, pkcable or any of the many, many useful posters in here said they were leaving, then we would be sad.

That said, enjoy your new device.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-05-13 11:20 AM
    Also RIM have not learned anything whatsoever.
    Really? Absolutely, positively nothing whatsoever? In any way shape or form? Such drama! Such sweeping statements!

To me, statements like this are as ridiculous as claiming everything is perfect in every way.
    bungaboy and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-05-13 11:20 AM
186 1234 ...