Well ill say you should Wait, but if you cant be patient then good luck with your new platform.. just have it in mind that all tablets out there have their own draw backs
    03-06-13 11:04 AM
    LOL, "Goodbye cruel world..."
    03-06-13 11:06 AM
    A Bridge to NOWHERE.
    Curious as to why you believe the bridge would lead nowhere. Are you implying that BB has no plans to implement full bridge functionality on the Z10/Q10 phones? Do you have specific knowledge or information that the full bridge suite is technically and/or economically unfeasible? Perhaps you have insight into the thought processes of management or the abilities of BB's engineers or the limitations of QNX technology? What is the reasoning behind your declaration?
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 11:10 AM
    It's took a while for me to stop laughing at that. That's the funniest comment I've ever seen posted with reference to 'BB management. I will immediately stop drinking brandy and swap to whatever it is that your drinking.

Ha ha ha ha its hilarious to say the least! Are you related to any members of the Monty Python team by the way?
    Perhaps a legendary business executive with a proven track record of forming and leading multi-billion dollar, multi-national corporations like yourself ought to get out of your armchair, put down your coffee and show them the way!

Stand aside Thorsten - Sad Old Man is here to turn BlackBerry into a trillion dollar enterprise with his vast skills and experience that far exceed all in the mobile industry!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 11:32 AM
    I
    i like to think that it has been temoprarily crippled.. noone in blackberry management (who is in the right frame of mind) would have seen how succesful the feature was and decided to eliminate it with the itnroduction of bb10.
    This has all the earmarks of "couldn't get everything done and make the launch date" vs. deliberately crippling. They probably took the features that most people use (particularly based on who the first buyers are) and put them first in their backlog. Hopefully more are coming.

I'd be pissed about the no-email bridging if I was using a Z10 at work, but wouldn't care about it at all if I was using it at home.
    03-06-13 11:37 AM
    This thread is going nowhere...
    03-06-13 11:55 AM
    yep... just people complaining about stuff lol. Not like we all on CB didn't know this. You'd think the PB was completely useless...when it's the opposite. It fits my needs for a tablet. Bridge is the only let down as of late if you're coming from OS7, but tethering is still there and that's most important (For me atleast) it means i can make good use of my 6GB shared data plan!

@OP, put it up for sale on CB, surely someone will take it off your hands.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 12:05 PM
    Curious as to why you believe the bridge would lead nowhere. Are you implying that BB has no plans to implement full bridge functionality on the Z10/Q10 phones? Do you have specific knowledge or information that the full bridge suite is technically and/or economically unfeasible? Perhaps you have insight into the thought processes of management or the abilities of BB's engineers or the limitations of QNX technology? What is the reasoning behind your declaration?
    Just a suspicion. Bring out a brand new phone and remove a powerful feature that was raved about and touted by Rim when introduced. So either they have dropped it or once again introduced a new device which is missing important features in a rush to get something out there.

And their response to inquires led to a very vague blog response that was as useless as the new "improved" bridge.
    JeepBB and sad_old_man like this.
    03-06-13 12:27 PM
    Just a suspicion. Bring out a brand new phone and remove a powerful feature that was raved about and touted by Rim when introduced.
    To be fair though, at the time "Bridge" could have been construed as a stop gap measure to deal with serious shortcomings that have since been addressed on both PlayBook and Z10. Remember, it was designed to enable emailing, calendar, contacts and work/home parameters.

Both PlayBook OS 2.1 and BlackBerry 10 have native email, contacts and calendar ... and they have built in BlackBerry balance support and encrypted email. PlayBook 1.0 did not, hence the promotion of bridge. In addition, BlackBerry 10 has BBM.

I could be mistaken about this, but I'm pretty sure there was no BES type management of PlayBook 1.0, whereas both PlayBook 2.1 and Blackberry 10 have this with BES 10 and/or Mobile Fusion.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 12:39 PM
    Just a suspicion. Bring out a brand new phone and remove a powerful feature that was raved about and touted by Rim when introduced. So either they have dropped it or once again introduced a new device which is missing important features in a rush to get something out there.

And their response to inquires led to a very vague blog response that was as useless as the new "improved" bridge.
    TH stated that profitability in the tablet space was "difficult". I would tend to agree and therefore BB launched full force into its new handsets. Unfortunately for PlayBook owners, we're just going to have to wait a while because the full effort must be placed on the handsets. How to figure out restoring the full suite of bridge capabilities is going to be tricky as the "hub" is much more integrated and self contained than the tasks, memos, etc., were on the legacy OS. However, BB is no doubt fully aware that the existing bridge to legacy OS is a compelling feature and very popular with PlayBook/BBOS owners so I would think that work is being done to include more "BB10" to "PB10" bridge features. Seems like a no brainer but we're almost certainly going to have to wait until PB10 drops - and it will drop according to TH - to see what we get. Hopefully, we'll see it soon. In the mean time, I just want to get my hands on a Z10 never mind the bridge which is probably how BB management is also looking at things.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 12:49 PM
    To be fair though, at the time "Bridge" could have been construed as a stop gap measure to deal with serious shortcomings that have since been addressed on both PlayBook and Z10. Remember, it was designed to enable emailing, calendar, contacts and work/home parameters.

Both PlayBook OS 2.1 and BlackBerry 10 have native email, contacts and calendar ... and they have built in BlackBerry balance support and encrypted email. PlayBook 1.0 did not, hence the promotion of bridge. In addition, BlackBerry 10 has BBM.

I could be mistaken about this, but I'm pretty sure there was no BES type management of PlayBook 1.0, whereas both PlayBook 2.1 and Blackberry 10 have this with BES 10 and/or Mobile Fusion.
    Yes and no. If you had a BBOS handset, you weren't missing any features at all. No native email, etc., was and still is a way of keeping confidential information off your PlayBook. For existing BBOS owners it's a great feature. However, for the general market it wasn't. It'll be interesting to see what PB10 brings to our PlayBooks.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-06-13 01:06 PM

The fact staring me in the face is that they removed a terrific feature. As I speculate about it, the other side similarly speculates that removal was a temporary move or other features take its place - they do not - where's shared Memos if nothing else. I don't need the same emails coming separately on both my phone and my pb. I don't need two calendars. In other words I don't believe it is coming back. I want to make it my personal goal to inform potential purchasers of this absence and not to take anyone's word that it will possibly/potentially/questionably return either "just around the corner, soon or in 60 days!" I'm still waiting for Search on a webpage, the ability to rename or move around bookmarks and access to an easier QUESTION MARK!

As far as Bridge being a stop-gap measure, creating it could not have been a small feat. At least, I think it is a fairly complex concept and was wonderfully executed. I sit in the living room with my pb and I get messages directed to the bbphone sitting upstairs on my desk. I can look up Memos and my calendar is there - that "ain't" no stop-gap.

Maybe we need to create on of those online petitions about Bridge.
    JeepBB and sad_old_man like this.
    03-06-13 03:10 PM
    If this is true - it's just ruined my day and whilst I won't be getting rid of my PB - i'm gonna start taking a furtive look at other tablets.

I've rapidly come to the conclusion the BB management team does not know it's arse from it's elbow. Sure the PB's not been a money earner for them ( but they've got to hold their hand up for that ) but autumn 2013 - c'mon. That's gonna be the final nail in the PB coffin. BB's antipathy for their own userbase would be OK if they had over 50% of the mobile market, but you'd think they'd be trying everything to keep and expand their userbase form the low percentage it is.

The slow down in software produced for the PB has now truly started and it will only get worse as developers move to BB10 and away to other platforms.
    Besides for Ipads how many tablet manufatures support their tablets for as long and as well as BB has done with the PB?

Not a lot!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-06-13 03:16 PM
    It's took a while for me to stop laughing at that. That's the funniest comment I've ever seen posted with reference to 'BB management. I will immediately stop drinking brandy and swap to whatever it is that your drinking.

Ha ha ha ha its hilarious to say the least! Are you related to any members of the Monty Python team by the way?
    And I've been called condescending. Good on you old man. Monty python? Really? haha. Nice one. Real topical. People gotta step up their game. I drink beer. haahah.

I'd quote you in my sig as a continual reminder of how out of touch you are with reality but already got someone else who beat you to it.

I'm glad you found it humorous. Its good to laugh. But you start seeming like a crazy sad old man when you don't know what you are talking about. Do you honestly believe BB won't exploit QNX capabilities on its devices? Nevermind, go sip some brandy.
    03-06-13 03:31 PM
    The fact staring me in the face is that they removed a terrific feature. As I speculate about it, the other side similarly speculates that removal was a temporary move or other features take its place - they do not - where's shared Memos if nothing else. I don't need the same emails coming separately on both my phone and my pb. I don't need two calendars. In other words I don't believe it is coming back. I want to make it my personal goal to inform potential purchasers of this absence and not to take anyone's word that it will possibly/potentially/questionably return either "just around the corner, soon or in 60 days!" I'm still waiting for Search on a webpage, the ability to rename or move around bookmarks and access to an easier QUESTION MARK!

As far as Bridge being a stop-gap measure, creating it could not have been a small feat. At least, I think it is a fairly complex concept and was wonderfully executed. I sit in the living room with my pb and I get messages directed to the bbphone sitting upstairs on my desk. I can look up Memos and my calendar is there - that "ain't" no stop-gap.

Maybe we need to create on of those online petitions about Bridge.
    You must have something better to do no? Do you know an extremely large number of people who bridge? Do you let them know there isn't another platform that perform the same fuctions? Maybe if they love bridge so much the should stick with their BBOS device. Do you own a Z10 yet and this so something you were looking for? Or you just have that much time on your hands?

You should start a petition. It would be entertaining.
    03-06-13 03:38 PM
    I have and Ipad and a playbook. The Ipad has a nice picture tube. It also confirmed how much I hate the Apple operating system. The lack of true multi tasking and that darn button. It reminds of the pull my finger app. I love the Z10 and am hoping that the apps get better but the Z10 is a communication device and does so many things that are difficult to do on the apple products. People say the BB10 is hard to learn. Have you tried and android device? Anyhow, I wouldn't mind a bit of Playbook love from Blackberry since I did pay full price for it.
    03-06-13 03:39 PM
    Originally Posted by 3hb78ftg
    yep... just people complaining about stuff lol. Not like we all on CB didn't know this. You'd think the PB was completely useless...when it's the opposite. It fits my needs for a tablet. Bridge is the only let down as of late if you're coming from OS7, but tethering is still there and that's most important (For me atleast) it means i can make good use of my 6GB shared data plan!

@OP, put it up for sale on CB, surely someone will take it off your hands.
    I have 2 Playbooks.The first one died and the 2nd is going strong. I do a lot of remote tech support in the Caribbean and all of my customers at the banks use BB so while I connect from my computers I can give them additional instructions via BBM. Hey OP if you don't want your Playbook you can give it to me. I will put it to good use for you.

In the meantime...

Time to say goodbye-img-20110419-00335.jpg
    03-06-13 03:50 PM
    The fact staring me in the face is that they removed a terrific feature. As I speculate about it, the other side similarly speculates that removal was a temporary move or other features take its place - they do not - where's shared Memos if nothing else. I don't need the same emails coming separately on both my phone and my pb. I don't need two calendars.
    Your point is very valid. I just wonder if it's better solved by something else than BRIDGE? For example, my iPod, my iPhone, my Mac and my PlayBook all share the same email account and the same contacts and the same calendar. They do it by way of being connected to iCloud? Could a BIS and/or BES like feature enable devices to share similarly between multiple BlackBerry devices owned by the same person or issued by the same user in a company? I certainly find the arrangement I have now of sharing over the cloud to be a lot easier (and less battery draining) than connecting two devices via Bluetooth.

I'm not anti-bridge, but I really didn't use it much, particularly once the PlayBook got a lot of its functions. I think I used it a few times to control the PlayBook from my couch, a couple of times to view a slide someone sent me, and once or twice to connect the PLayBook to the web when there wasn't wifi. But that's just me. I couldn't quite get around the speed loss or battery drain.

I'm sure it wasn't a "light feature". Just probably a lot easier than the combined task of creating a native mail client, contacts app, calendaring solution and bbm that could be managed and encrypted.
    03-06-13 03:53 PM
    Your point is very valid. I just wonder if it's better solved by something else than BRIDGE? For example, my iPod, my iPhone, my Mac and my PlayBook all share the same email account and the same contacts and the same calendar. They do it by way of being connected to iCloud? Could a BIS and/or BES like feature enable devices to share similarly between multiple BlackBerry devices owned by the same person or issued by the same user in a company? I certainly find the arrangement I have now of sharing over the cloud to be a lot easier (and less battery draining) than connecting two devices via Bluetooth.
    I can't imagine how storing my information in "the cloud" could have less impact on the battery then the current(BBOS)bridge setup. What concerns me more is the data use retriving this information that is already on my phone.
    As it is now I can use the PB to email anywhere I have a carrier connection on my phone. Blackberry says if I buy a Z10 then I should just set up the native email on the PB. Well native email doesn't work unless I'm in an area with wifi. Has that changed with the Z10. If it hasn't then native email on the PB is useless outside of wifi.
    Maybe BB has some plans for the future but unless/until they tell me what they are I won't switch.
    03-06-13 04:58 PM
    Keep in mind this is 'fanboy' heaven....BlackBerry...can do no wrong here....Heins can do no wrong....Playbook is the single greatest 'tablet' in existence (tongue inserted firmly in cheek)..and just wait for os2....os2.1...os2.1336....0s2.1566...os10.....

Did you notice that when some people where pointing out problems with their z10s....the first comments were....wait for the os update....ffs

If the guy is tired of waiting HES tired of waiting.....so give it a rest with the pile on......and if os10 is coming to the playbook in Autumn....it may as well be never for some....and to others..it will be business as usual. Waiting, waiting, hoping, hoping.
    I am compelled to ask why you bother to be here?
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    03-06-13 05:16 PM
    Sorry but as a complete Newby having just got my playbook today I thought this was were you came for help with your playbook. I'll see if I can find another BlackBerry forum site thanks.
    NOT! You came here to troll and whine! If you wanted help you just have to ask.

So bye, bye to you too. (Don't think, for one iota of a nanosecond, that we care. We won't miss you or know you are gone either.)

Toodles.
    03-06-13 05:30 PM
    There is great help here - ask me - I provide it!
    What time does the noon whistle sound?
    03-06-13 05:34 PM
    From F2: There is great help here - ask me - I provide it!

Can I order an apple pie, but hold the apples and I'll have blackberries in it please!
    03-06-13 05:35 PM
    I can't imagine how storing my information in "the cloud" could have less impact on the battery then the current(BBOS)bridge setup. What concerns me more is the data use retriving this information that is already on my phone.
    As it is now I can use the PB to email anywhere I have a carrier connection on my phone. Blackberry says if I buy a Z10 then I should just set up the native email on the PB. Well native email doesn't work unless I'm in an area with wifi. Has that changed with the Z10. If it hasn't then native email on the PB is useless outside of wifi.
    Maybe BB has some plans for the future but unless/until they tell me what they are I won't switch.
    All my native email accts on the PlayBook update through Bridge connection to internet when I don't have wifi...
    03-06-13 06:04 PM
    Damn!! This is one long goodbye thread. If OP staying this long to read all the thread, might as well keep the playbook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-06-13 07:01 PM
186 ... 34567 ...