Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE vs BlackBerry PlayBookAndroid AuthorityMany are comparing the Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE to the BlackBerry PlayBook, to the extent that some are saying that buying a PlayBook is actually a better deal than buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 because of the great functional features that the PlayBook ...

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-tab-8-9-lte-vs-blackberry-playbook-39379/
    12-21-11 09:11 PM
    I've always felt that PB was better than any android tablets. I own an Atrix 4G and am pretty well versed in the Android world, but to be blunt, android tablets simply aren't as solid and stable as PB's or iPads. For some reason none of these device manufacturers have honestly delivered on hardware that's really properly optimized for Android. Nothing I love more than seeing my co-worker's safari browser beating the **** out of my gingerbread browser even though I have more RAM and dual core processor. And Samsung are freaking delusional thinking their tablets actually deserve the price tags they've been putting on them.
    12-21-11 09:19 PM
    I myself have come from owning a playbook. I sold it for the same reasons many people gave up on the tablet. I tried all sorts of tablets, you name it, I've tried it. Acer Iconia, Galaxy tab 7.0 plus, Asus Transformer, back to an Acer Iconia a100, then even tried the Xoom. Just sold the Xoom today and went to Office Depot and got my Playbook back. 32gig for 249$. How I missed it. Android is cool for app support I must say but the hardware and software just don't run as smooth as a Playbook in my opinion. Try opening a 1080p video in the android browser.... Now, try that on your Playbook
    12-21-11 09:49 PM
    RIM is a few quality apps and an OS update away from having the best tablet on the market. And thats no blackberry fanboy bias with this being my first BB product ever. Hopefully they can do the right thing
    12-21-11 09:50 PM
    That is good news to hear. Hope that this translates to more people adopting the PB.
    12-21-11 10:36 PM
    I always try other tablets when I visit stores and my impression is always the pb is better.

In my opinion, no current tablet can match the swiping-OS in the pb. It's the little harbinger
    Jeovex, kbz1960 and recompile like this.
    12-21-11 11:14 PM
    I've compared the two, and for most things, the Samsung 8.9 has the edge. Read the article, it seems to agree. Misinformation is not going to popularize the Playbook.
    Last edited by Unsure2; 12-22-11 at 12:23 AM.
    12-22-11 12:13 AM
    They compared specs in that article. The user experience is what counts to an owner. As an owner I'm having a great experience.
    12-22-11 12:37 AM
    Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE vs BlackBerry PlayBookAndroid AuthorityMany are comparing the Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE to the BlackBerry PlayBook, to the extent that some are saying that buying a PlayBook is actually a better deal than buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 R4i because of the great functional features that the PlayBook ...

Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE vs BlackBerry PlayBook
    Thank you for information sharing, I am interested!
    Last edited by zhikim528; 12-22-11 at 12:53 AM.
    12-22-11 12:49 AM
    I've compared the two, and for most things, the Samsung 8.9 has the edge. Read the article, it seems to agree. Misinformation is not going to popularize the Playbook.
    Yes it does say it has "some" edge not "the" edge. Shouldn't spread misinformation .

TO me its a landmark review because it is a serious and fair objective spec by spec comparison, even giving the playbook some wins it deserves, rather than:

"playbook isn't android and has no native email, does not have as many apps, and where is the home button and I can't press the power button and what's with this funky swiping stuff - this is a POS."

AND>>> this is an Andriod site. keep in mind....Android Authori-tayyy!

Playbook is a playah!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-22-11 at 02:59 AM.
    RicThot, BERaddict and kbz1960 like this.
    12-22-11 12:49 AM
    I wish RIM would create something like the galaxy note... so very tempted with the digitizer technology...
    Angelo_Campher likes this.
    12-22-11 02:01 AM
    RIM is a few quality apps and an OS update away from having the best tablet on the market. And thats no blackberry fanboy bias with this being my first BB product ever. Hopefully they can do the right thing
    I couldn't agree more.
    12-22-11 02:06 AM
    Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE vs BlackBerry PlayBookAndroid AuthorityMany are comparing the Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE to the BlackBerry PlayBook, to the extent that some are saying that buying a PlayBook is actually a better deal than buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 because of the great functional features that the PlayBook ...

Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE vs BlackBerry PlayBook
    I'm sorry, but this one crappy, misleading article doesn't yet mean anything. The article is very poorly written, has little factual information or logic, and doesn't actually explain anything. There's no direction, summary, or even major points. It seems like the guy listed the specs, picked one which sounded like it had higher numbers, and then listed it as better without any thought to real life applications, practicality, or actual importance. You think the average consumer knows the practical performance difference between a 1 ghz processor and a 1.5 ghz processor?

Also, why compare the LTE model of an 8.9" tablet, rather than comparing the wifi only model of the similar 7" or 7.7" models?

Until I see more major sites with similar findings, I'd have to say that this article is just the work of a lazy or uninformed author, rather than real proof that the PlayBook's future is really starting to change.
    yestoeverything likes this.
    12-22-11 02:44 AM
    I'm sorry, but this one crappy, misleading article doesn't yet mean anything. The article is very poorly written, has little factual information or logic, and doesn't actually explain anything. There's no direction, summary, or even major points. It seems like the guy listed the specs, picked one which sounded like it had higher numbers, and then listed it as better without any thought to real life applications, practicality, or actual importance. You think the average consumer knows the practical performance difference between a 1 ghz processor and a 1.5 ghz processor?

Also, why compare the LTE model of an 8.9" tablet, rather than comparing the wifi only model of the similar 7" or 7.7" models?

Until I see more major sites with similar findings, I'd have to say that this article is just the work of a lazy or uninformed author, rather than real proof that the PlayBook's future is really starting to change.
    I have tried the 10" and 7" plus tab, and I have to say that qnx is zippier, even air apps work better in qnx (the 2.0 beta). I am eagerly waiting for february...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-22-11 02:54 AM
    I have tried the 10" and 7" plus tab, and I have to say that qnx is zippier, even air apps work better in qnx (the 2.0 beta). I am eagerly waiting for february...
    I agree that the PlayBook is pretty stable and zippy, but my main point was that the article in this thread not only has no real meaning, but shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place because of its poor quality. At the end of the day, the PlayBook is still missing some basic functionality that give the Galaxy Tab an automatic win in some areas. Until RIM can fix those things, the tides haven't even begin to turn yet.
    Liptonice likes this.
    12-22-11 03:08 AM
    define the missing items that give the galaxy this auto-win, because from where I sit, the sammy android tabs are over-priced, cheaply made, and not very solid in the performance department. To date, none of the Android OS's take very effective advantage of the hardware they sit in, including 4.0 when compared to QNX or iOS. Take a look at the phones. Apple's safari browser on an i4 single core processor still runs smoother than an android browser on a tegra 2 dual core. that's not what I'd call polished to a high sheen. Don't call me an Apple advocate either, my devices are clearly marked at the top of this post
    12-22-11 04:04 AM
    define the missing items that give the galaxy this auto-win, because from where I sit, the sammy android tabs are over-priced, cheaply made, and not very solid in the performance department. To date, none of the Android OS's take very effective advantage of the hardware they sit in, including 4.0 when compared to QNX or iOS. Take a look at the phones. Apple's safari browser on an i4 single core processor still runs smoother than an android browser on a tegra 2 dual core. that's not what I'd call polished to a high sheen. Don't call me an Apple advocate either, my devices are clearly marked at the top of this post
    I'm not talking about theoretical hardware advantages here. I'm not sure how you can assess that Android devices don't use their hardware effectively or how the iPhone is relevant in this comparison. I'd also have to disagree with your assessment of the Galaxy Tabs (the second generation that is), most people (and reviews also) say they are fine pieces of hardware, and many consider the Galaxy Tab series one of the best, if not the best Android tablets you can get.

Regardless, what I'm saying is that the PlayBook's lack of basic software functionality and and lack of rich third party app support are the things that give the Galaxy Tab an automatic win. If I had to pick a tablet for someone who just wants basic functionality, I regrettably would not be able to recommend the PlayBook because it does not have as many viable, practical options as the other platforms do. The biggest omission is email/PIM functionality - the Galaxy Tab does it and the PlayBook does not. That is the biggest automatic win.

The rest is mainly 3rd party app support. The importance of certain apps varies depending on who you ask, but right now, most of the killer apps are just not available for the PlayBook. That's another automatic win.

Going back to the article specifically, part of the poor research in the article is demonstrated when the author mentions that the Galaxy Tab doesn't have a MicroHDMI output. Certainly it doesn't, but there is a HDMI adapter available for it, meaning that you do have that option available. But the author didn't know about it, didn't mention it, and just automatically gave the advantage to the PlayBook. He also didn't mention that the Galaxy Tab has a USB adaptor available for external storage and external USB accessories, while the Playbook does not (yet?) have such an option, and that's another feature that's important to some people, especially those that got 16GB PlayBook's and think they may need more space. There are lots of different ways the two tablets could have been compared, but the author didn't compare the two properly.

IMO, a proper comparison of two similar tablets should include:

Size/Weight/General aesthetics
    General and specific hardware comparisons
    General and specific actual performance comparisons
    Price to value ratio
    Connectivity options
    General and specific software functionality comparisons
    Intended market of each tablet

And maybe a few other things that are all missing from this article. If the article was done properly, it would likely be a few pages, not a few paragraphs.
    12-22-11 04:37 AM
    Human nature is such that we love to kick others when your down, then shove their head under water two more inches. I, for see that now the PB is in many more hands the tone will start to change as the the media won't want to isolate it's readers by dissing a well loved product. Ownership numbers, do they really indicate whats the best product, most of you kids are too young to know about the VHS vs Beta history, but Beta was hands down a better video technology but slick marketing for VHS killed it. That is why RIM must learn marketing is everything, then with a better product, you gain then keep customers. McDonalds marketing strategy of only positive happy ads, and early on aimed at children, (whine, whine, nag, nag, MOM take me to McDonalds!!) was and is perfect for building and keeping market acceptance. Apple plays nothing but hip, slick, happy, cool young people doing simple things on their products, upbeat and ground breaking music, that's what draws people to ipad, for sure nothing technical, just, hey, this ipad will make my life fun and happy.

Michaelaw
    12-22-11 05:13 AM
    I wish RIM would create something like the galaxy note... so very tempted with the digitizer technology...
    I believe I have Galaxy Note waiting to be opened come sunday. My wife always seems to get me the things I fawn over and I've been fawning and hinting ever since its release this side, so much so that when I walk by a store which has it on display I drag her along and ask about the price and fiddle with it.
    12-22-11 05:21 AM
    I believe I have Galaxy Note waiting to be opened come sunday. My wife always seems to get me the things I fawn over and I've been fawning and hinting ever since its release this side, so much so that when I walk by a store which has it on display I drag her along and ask about the price and fiddle with it.
    Lucky you to have such a caring wife. Anyway, I have played around with it at several stores and I must say that the note-taking feature works flawlessly. I am still delaying my purchase because I want to try out a new stylus I bought from Dagi and is still waiting for a rumored special stylus for the playbook launched on February. IMHO, 5" is a bit too small for a decent notepad and the OS, android 2.3, is rather laggy compared to qnx..
    12-22-11 07:44 AM
    As one poster said.....for me also it is all about the user experience and I get the one I prefer on the playbook. The rest will come but first and formost I love the UI experience.
    RicThot likes this.
    12-22-11 08:05 AM
    I agree that the PlayBook is pretty stable and zippy, but my main point was that the article in this thread not only has no real meaning, but shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place because of its poor quality. At the end of the day, the PlayBook is still missing some basic functionality that give the Galaxy Tab an automatic win in some areas. Until RIM can fix those things, the tides haven't even begin to turn yet.
    the point isn't about the legitimacy of the article. its about the narrative. right or wrong... someone has said something positive about the playbook in a direct comparison to a galaxy tab.

Previously the narrative has been... "the playbook is a complete and total POS with no redeeming factors at all."

So any ray of light is a sign of a possible change in that.
    12-22-11 08:15 AM
    Love the size of the note its the perfect pocketable browser.

The digitizer is rather slow on it.
    12-22-11 08:17 AM
    While I agree with Android being far inferior than the QNX OS PB has (not counting App selection), this article doesn't really say much! It is not much of a review, anyone can do a better job by comparing specs alone.
    12-22-11 08:30 AM
    the point isn't about the legitimacy of the article. its about the narrative. right or wrong... someone has said something positive about the playbook in a direct comparison to a galaxy tab.

Previously the narrative has been... "the playbook is a complete and total POS with no redeeming factors at all."

So any ray of light is a sign of a possible change in that.
    Right, but the problem is that the one website that's said something positive, hasn't actually said it the right way as also mentioned by conix67 in the quote below (emphasis mine). On any other major site, such an article would get torn to pieces because it doesn't actually have any factual information, and isn't even a proper comparison to begin with.

What I'm saying is that we haven't seen any of these rays of lights from anywhere else, meaning that the general public perception hasn't changed much, if at all. Yes people are buying the PlayBook because it's cheaper now, but it's still missing many things that prevent it from being an all-around great buy for the average consumer. When RIM fixes those things and holds on to their lower price point, the PlayBook will a really bright ray of light lol.

While I agree with Android being far inferior than the QNX OS PB has (not counting App selection), this article doesn't really say much! It is not much of a review, anyone can do a better job by comparing specs alone.
    12-22-11 09:38 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD