Lots and lots of reporting, lots and lots of BST, heartache, and agony.

How about some plain English ?

When you are creating folders and moving icons from folder to folder,
    the System Dock is like your icon clip board. Always leave at least one
    icon
    in this dock. Period. Full Stop. RIM: stop what you are doing
    and fix immediately. It is in 2.1 and is a DEFCON #1 issue with horrible
    user impact. Doc Neutron

Following this simple rule will keep you from permanently loosing icons
    and forcing a total wipe to regain them.
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 10-22-12 at 06:18 AM. Reason: More info
    FF22, Heavens1, BlazorBoy and 4 others like this.
    10-21-12 10:14 PM
    OK Doc...please slow down a little, take a deep breath, now exhale. Is that a little better? Now please explain this horrible consequence of having no icons on the dock. I think we've already heard about nothing but folders there but not what you're saying.
    10-22-12 12:49 AM
    The post is meaningless to me if the OP is not specific. Please be specific. It helps us all.
    10-22-12 01:03 AM
    What doc is saying is that if you remove all the icons from the dock, then go back and try to put one on the dock, it disappears and you get an array index error. This was a known issue from the beta that transferred to an issue on the release (though I did not know that and messed up my PB by removing all the dock icons and thus, found this issue)
    So in order to avoid this, always keep one icon on the dock at all times.

In order to fix it you have to wipe the PB or just move all icons to the tray, have them disappear then reboot the pb and they show back up (though this didnt work for me so not sure how well this really works)

If I can find the thread about this issue I will come back and link it
    Found it: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-dock-748064/
    PatrickMJS and Heavens1 like this.
    10-22-12 01:11 AM
    This is a horrible oversight by RIM. 2.1 is qnx. This is crunch time. There are no rooms for mistakes and a mistake was made.
    esk369 and beemaabeemababy like this.
    10-22-12 01:17 AM
    This is old news and RIM has known about it for many months. Just saying. Tell Michael Clewely and his response will be "why would anyone do that "? "I just fail to understand why anyone would do that "
    10-22-12 01:22 AM
    This is old news and RIM has known about it for many months. Just saying. Tell Michael Clewely and his response will be "why would anyone do that "? "I just fail to understand why anyone would do that "
    HUMAN NATURE. Folks do things they were not intended to do all the time and GOOD error checking routines in programming should catch such things. So, his is an example of STUPID responses and the error, one of STUPID programming!

And OP, a great title for the thread.
    10-22-12 09:36 AM
    Lots and lots of reporting, lots and lots of BST, heartache, and agony.

How about some plain English ?
    Thanks doc.
    If that doesn't work for some people let them try it for themselves and see what happens again thanks for the psa.

When you are creating folders and moving icons from folder to folder,
    the System Dock is like your icon clip board. Always leave at least one
    icon
    in this dock. Period. Full Stop. RIM: stop what you are doing
    and fix immediately. It is in 2.1 and is a DEFCON #1 issue with horrible
    user impact. Doc Neutron

Following this simple rule will keep you from permanently loosing icons
    and forcing a total wipe to regain them.
    10-22-12 11:32 AM
    The only reason I'm adding my 2 bits is because there was a thread back in july I think where a very uncool person did this to their pb and then started a thread telling people to replicate what he did without explaining what the end result would be resulting in a few people messing up their units.
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with doc's thread here but its advice well heeded.
    Btw I was not one of those unfortunate souls who got sucked into bricking my pb mama Dimatteo didn't raise no fool.:-)
    Zildjian71 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-22-12 11:41 AM
    What doc is saying is that if you remove all the icons from the dock, then go back and try to put one on the dock, it disappears and you get an array index error. This was a known issue from the beta that transferred to an issue on the release (though I did not know that and messed up my PB by removing all the dock icons and thus, found this issue)
    So in order to avoid this, always keep one icon on the dock at all times.

This worked for me. Saved me a wipe.

In order to fix it you have to wipe the PB or just move all icons to the tray, have them disappear then reboot the pb and they show back up (though this didnt work for me so not sure how well this really works)

If I can find the thread about this issue I will come back and link it
    Found it: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-dock-748064/
    This worked for me. Saved me a wipe.
    10-22-12 06:54 PM
    I had been trying to set up a second PB to be approximately like my first one and I got
    in too big a hurry and cleared out my Dock and lost my Browser. I did note the message
    in the upper left with the phrase "array" in it and this triggered my memory and once I
    searched on "array" in this Forum, there it was....whoa ! Hats off to all who have worked
    on this issue so very hard. How do we know, for example, arsenic is a poison ? We
    owe it to those who suffered and died and those who reported on it. After reading some
    of the posts here, it occurred to me: what if I had this really awesome pic I slaved and
    slaved on to make into a PB wallpaper. I might very well try and see it "full screen" by
    clearing out all icons from my Dock ! Doc Neutron
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    10-22-12 08:32 PM
    So after reading both threads, thank you to those who lived to tell...and I won't duplicate your experiments.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    10-23-12 01:38 AM
    Its a shame that someone posted that people do this earlier without saying what it did. A very sick joke.
    10-23-12 02:06 AM