12-27-13 04:51 PM
26 12
tools
    I have seen the Playbook Rapid Charger on sale at a few outlets. How better does it perform than the stock charger? It states that it charges 2X faster but have people actually experienced this result? Seems bulky and wondering if it's worth paying the extra $50 or so?

Posted from My Mobile App
    09-10-12 11:33 AM
    I recommend everyone with a playbook to buy the rapid charger. it does charge much faster and it reduces wear on the usb port. I would say I can get at least a 30% charge in an hour.
    jafobabe, rrrebo, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    09-10-12 11:35 AM
    I use the Rapid Charger with the magnetic end ALL the time. It saves wear on the USB port and you can never accidently plug it in upside down.

So, yes it is worth the money.

You can surf around for better prices, as some places have them BNIB for around $30-40.
    09-10-12 11:37 AM
    What they^ said.
    09-10-12 11:50 AM
    What they^ said.
    What he^ said...
    09-10-12 11:55 AM
    and it looks well cool too
    09-10-12 11:58 AM
    Agree with the above. But unless someone can indicate differently, the PB can't be in a case to engage the charger. But well worth having.
    09-10-12 12:05 PM
    What they all ^ said. Works ok in my case as well.
    09-10-12 12:07 PM
    You can definitely use the rapid charger in a case. If it's a journal type case you'll have to open it, but the magnetic end pulls itself right in to the appropriate place & charges really quickly. I love mine - don't know how I lived without it. You can't charge using the rapid charging DOCK while using most cases.
    09-10-12 12:14 PM
    You can definitely use the rapid charger in a case. If it's a journal type case you'll have to open it, but the magnetic end pulls itself right in to the appropriate place & charges really quickly. I love mine - don't know how I lived without it. You can't charge using the rapid charging DOCK while using most cases.
    I should clarify - I meant you can't use at least the included case with the Dock.
    09-10-12 12:20 PM
    I have seen the Playbook Rapid Charger on sale at a few outlets. How better does it perform than the stock charger? It states that it charges 2X faster but have people actually experienced this result? Seems bulky and wondering if it's worth paying the extra $50 or so?

Posted from My Mobile App
    You won't see the battery charge twice as fast with the rapid charger. With the rapid charger you would be able to use it while still maintaining the same charge rate. If you were to use it while charging with the USB charger you would see the charge rate drop dramatically. In standby the rapid charger is just a little faster.

I would still recommend one even if you don't use it while charging. Easier to plug in and saves the USB port from wear.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-10-12 12:24 PM
    Do not buy the rapid charger for $50 anywhere. I have picked up one for $20 at Radio Shack months ago and another for just $15 a few weeks ago. If you do a lot of heavy gaming it comes in very handy. Too many places have it way overpriced though. Save yourself some money and go to Radio Shack. It's one of the few things worth walking into the store for.

The magnetic plug is also great if you tend to get tripped up over cables. I've heard a few horror stories of people screwing up the USB port that way.
    09-10-12 01:23 PM
    the dock sucks. rarely does it actually charge despite indicating that it is. there's a thread about how one pin (left most?) seems to be too recessed partly due to a weak spring but mainly due to a poor mass production line. the thread details separating the case and resoldering the recessed pin in a higher position. the rapid charger cable works very well compared to the dock though. I have both.
    09-10-12 04:27 PM
    I have both the dock and the rapid travel charger (both use the magnetic 3-pin end). No wear and tear on the USB port.

The dock is really cool for an office desk or night stand, but does not fit a Playbook with a case. The travel one is handy because the 3-pin plug has access for charging, with or without a case.

Shop around for prices. Like the others mentioned....$12 to $25 prices can be found.
    09-10-12 05:20 PM
    The rapid charger seems to be the best deal. I had the dock and finally gave up on it due to the poor connection that developed over time. It's looks nice though.
    09-10-12 11:07 PM
    If you live in US, check your local Radioshack. Got one for $15 the other week.
    09-10-12 11:32 PM
    You won't see the battery charge twice as fast with the rapid charger. With the rapid charger you would be able to use it while still maintaining the same charge rate. If you were to use it while charging with the USB charger you would see the charge rate drop dramatically. In standby the rapid charger is just a little faster.

I would still recommend one even if you don't use it while charging. Easier to plug in and saves the USB port from wear.

Agree with rapid charger recommendation. As to charging rate the difference from 5% to full charge may be as I believe the Guru once said about 20% faster. In the initial charging stage the rapid charger is charging over 9 watts or 2.4 or so amps as compared to perhaps 1.8 amps with the standard charger. So if you are traveling and only have an hour to get more charge this may be a considerable help. Also like the gamers point that if you move the PB the rapid charger will just turn loose but the USB unit might break something.

Would be interesting to compare charging curves for the two devices which can be done with Battery Guru data. PB has a CSV viewer app which allows one to look at data but I am still struggling to get the data into an Excel 2010 spreadsheet for better analysis.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-11-12 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Replace disallowed word, correct numbers
    09-10-12 11:34 PM
    I live in Canada but travel to the US quite a bit. At home they want $70 for three rapid charger. I wasn't willing to pay that. While in the US I stopped into Radio Shack and picked up two rapid chargers... one for me and one for the wife. I absolutely love it! No more wear and tear on the USB port, easy to attach... it just pops into place... and it charges quickly. RIM should have shipped the PlayBook with the rapid charger instead of selling it as an extra.
    Hawnz and homer1475 like this.
    09-11-12 12:00 AM
    I got the charging dock a few days ago.....seems fine,paid approx 30% of its retail price delivered so a good deal.Again i bought it to save the micro usb port.
    09-11-12 05:08 AM
    1800 amps with the standard charger.

My whole house has 200 amp service. Where do you plug in a 1800 amp charger?
    09-11-12 10:38 AM
    Looks like I was up too late. Will go back to post and edit. Must have been thinking of milliamps. Thanks for pointing out error. Sure it wont be my last,
    09-11-12 02:01 PM
    Run away and sell all blackberry you own or fill it up with games and mp3 s and have a nice night table alarmclock cause that is all its good for.
    12-27-13 04:00 PM
    Lasts about 1 month then takes 20 minutes to fiddle the playbook onto it to charge. Must have batterry guru on to figure out if the piece of crap is charging or not. BLACKBERRY IS THE WORST!
    12-27-13 04:02 PM
    Got onsale for $9.99 and still feel ripped off. BLACKBERRY IS A POORMANS APPLE!
    12-27-13 04:03 PM
    Got onsale for $9.99 and still feel ripped off. BLACKBERRY IS A POORMANS APPLE!
    Assume you are talking about the dock charger. Clean contacts carefully and check to be sure they are all same height. See posts by RotorWrench on maintenance of dock charger. Perhaps you should have bought the Rapid Travel Charger which is easier to use and less susceptible to problems. Tben your iration would be less perhaps improving your health.
    12-27-13 04:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD