I've had my 32GB PlayBook for a couple of weeks now and wanted to give my thoughts, and compare my experience with the PB to that of my experience with the iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the HP Touchpad. Please, no bashing of those other devices, they're all awesome in their own regards.

Anyway, I think the PB is the best of all, and not only because I'm a BB person through and through. It's just the truth. The graphics, power, size, build quality and usefulness are top notch. I find it just perfect for everyday stuff, and for me that doesn't even include Angry Birds (yet ). Email and web, some apps (just downloaded news360, it's super) and the look and feel are perfect for me.

That said, I've already had problems with the unit not charging (or charging verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly). Twice it's been "dead" even when it was turned off previously, and I had to move the charger to 2 different outlets before it would even begin to charge. Once charged, it's fine. But this has been worrisome. Also, pushing the power button is a major hassle and it actually hurts when using the convertible case...which I do. But I know that's been beaten to death here in many other threads.

I also have the other 3 devices mentioned above. The iPad 2 is a very nice device. However, my biggest gripe: the screen resolution. It's awful for the price they're charging. The PB is far superior, in my experience thus far. Other than that, we all know about the iPad 2. I prefer the PB's size, as well.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is truly a great device as well, I find myself using that one and the PB most of all, because it's Android and I am used to the look-and-feel of that OS. It's smooth, albeit not as fluid as some of the others but it's reliable, mine has the 3G capability, screen is very nice, feels good and I think I have a good alternate should the PB ever completely fail.

As for the Touchpad, haven't had enough time with it yet but to be honest, despite all the problems and whatever, it's not a bad device. And HP has released a couple of OS updates, although I don't think any more will be forthcoming.

So, in conclusion what do I think? The PB is my favorite. It's just what any BB user and lover should be using, and although I haven't installed any 2.0x leaks and haven't even looked at a lot of the previews, I can't wait to see what it holds in store for the future of this great device.
    02-09-12 05:23 PM
    That's my opinion too!

I have 3 Tablets (2 Android and BB) each device was purchased for a reason and (at the time application) but the PB is the one I take with me everyday. Reason, its my R&R companion, whether I am on lunch-break or overnight at a hotel - it contains everything I need, movies, books, games (I'm not a big gamer these days!) tools like WP and a damn good little camera!

Anyone can knock BB (or just about any other technology product) but you can't beat this little PB for build-quality and portability!

It's a pity the new CEO at BB doesn't get off his 'bottom' and have his staff read and report back what people have been saying about this awesome product all along - maybe they need to shout about it a bit more?

Enjoy the ride...

Terry
    andy957 and Alberta Blue like this.
    02-09-12 05:50 PM
    Glad you've realized how good a tablet it actually is. The charging thing bothers me though. That's not a common issue. Is it still doing it? Have you done a reset since you've gotten it?
    02-09-12 05:53 PM
    On your not charging issue.

I had that when I first got my 32GB unit also, previous 16gb unit charged fine with the usb cord and rapid charging dock. When I called BB I was told to do a debrick(something to do with the OS falsely reporting the battery, so it wouldn't allow it to charge) and if that didn't solve the issue to return it for a new unit.

To make a long story short, After the debrick my PB has been charging fine ever since. Might want to try that.
    02-09-12 05:56 PM
    You should not need to push the power button all that often but a faulty charger should be addressed. But is it the charger or the port on the pb? When moving it between sockets is it maybe that the usb got jostled better or worse that helped or was it really the socket.

Rim will send you a need ac adapter if you call them and report a problem. The pb will not charge well or readily from a computer's usb port - it will barely provide sufficient power. Similarly, a bb phone ac charger is not very effective.

The rapid charger is nice but if not seated fully, will give a false indication of charging (lightning bolt) but not actually be charging.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    02-09-12 05:57 PM
    @homer, thanks for that. So how does one do a "de-brick"? I'd like to try that first before calling them.
    02-09-12 06:03 PM
    You should not need to push the power button all that often but a faulty charger should be addressed. But is it the charger or the port on the pb? When moving it between sockets is it maybe that the usb got jostled better or worse that helped or was it really the socket.

Rim will send you a need ac adapter if you call them and report a problem. The pb will not charge well or readily from a computer's usb port - it will barely provide sufficient power. Similarly, a bb phone ac charger is not very effective.

The rapid charger is nice but if not seated fully, will give a false indication of charging (lightning bolt) but not actually be charging.
    Thanks for your info. Initially when I tried to charge (never at computer, always through electrical outlet, and always using the charger that came with the PB, not with a phone), and wasn't able to even get the device to turn on while plugged in, I unplugged from the socket and moved the cord to another outlet. The device booted but the battery icon was red, obviously, and the lightning bolt was flashing but after about 10 minutes it was still completely red (had not moved one fraction of a millimeter). So I tried in yet another outlet and finally it started to charge; took almost an hour for it to charge fully.

I'll see about homer's "de-brick" suggestion and otherwise I'll call RIM and find out what to do next.
    02-09-12 06:06 PM
    @homer, thanks for that. So how does one do a "de-brick"? I'd like to try that first before calling them.
    I would first start by making a complete backup via desktop manager(desktop server now?). Then turn off your PB and plug it into your PC with DM running, When the popup comes up asking if you want to look for new updates(I think that's the option, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), choose yes. It basically reloads the factory OS and puts the PB back to factory specs. You will have to go back through the setup process. After that, reload your backup.
    02-09-12 06:09 PM
    I probably should make a thread also with personal comparisons , because i have a ipad 1 , HP Touchpad , Blackberry Playbook , and recently bought the ASUS transformer Prime with keyboard dock (upgraded with ICS)

I agree with you the Playbook is my favorite , i use it more than anything else. So much so i am mounting it in my car for even more use.

doing a comparison between the sheer amount of devices i have would probably be a good read. hmmm maybe i will.

Stay tuned for a lengthy Comparison.

kbz1960 and andy957 like this.
    02-09-12 06:16 PM
    doing a comparison between the sheer amount of devices i have would probably be a good read. hmmm maybe i will.

Stay tuned for a lengthy Comparison.

Hmm....I challenge you to a comparison ...wonder who has the most toys. LOL
    02-09-12 06:57 PM
    Nice balanced post.

I haven't tried any other tablets but i was surprised by how quickly i took to typing on the pb. I had tried my hubby's iphone and wondered how he ever managed without a physical keyboard and yet a month after getting my pb it's my go to device for everything.

My hubby is looking at getting a samsung galaxy tab and i'm curious to see how different an experience it will be.
    02-09-12 08:11 PM
    If the battery was in the RED, it would take more than an hour to charge it, I believe. I think de-brick and then see what's what.
    02-09-12 08:22 PM
    I bought about 1 week ago and I like it so far. i own an ipad 2 also. The two devices are very different. outside safari I don't use other apple app, but i use a lot of 3rd parties app. On the otherside i use more blackberry app or preinstall stuff. Also you need less app on BB PB why? because the browser handle flash. vevo, tou.tv, anime are easy example. What PB need? More app like dropbox would be welcome. The ipad cameras are both a bad joke the pb's one can be useful. mail.app suck it's poorly design , the calendar, contact app are way too basic. With 2.0 the i won't think to use my ipad for anything else then games. Ipad is a good reader/browser and game center. I prefer my PB for daily work. There a lot more utility preloaded.

PS adobe reader need to be updated
    PB need things like sftp, ftp, samba, ssh , vnc to connect to server!
    02-09-12 08:30 PM
    Basically, it boiled down to a Kindle Fire or a PB. I chose the PB cause hardware wise it's simply more bang for the buck at $199. I have an Android phone and larger stay at home tablet and wanted to replace my B&W Kindle and that's the one thing that I am waiting for more than anything else; the Amazon Kindle app. For now, I'm carrying both the PB and my Kindle. I am currently using the PB as a mobile web browser on my commute to and from work (wifi tethered via my phone) and to watch movies on.
    Once I have the Kindle app I'll put my Kindle up for sale and I will be a happy camper.
    Last edited by rustypixel; 02-09-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling boobo
    02-09-12 08:33 PM
    Love the playbook, theeeee best tablet

I have two now, giving one to my boss...
    02-09-12 08:37 PM
    Bdm should prompt you to "update" when you connect the "dead"playbook to a usb port.
    02-09-12 08:39 PM
    because the browser handle flash. vevo,
    Ah, Vevo! Insignificant as it may be, I love that app! I can't play some YouTube videos on my iPad because it doesn't support Flash, and as a Lady Gaga fan (no comments please), her videos are on Vevo and look awesome on the PB.

I echo others' sentiments here, that it's a great device. I would also love to see a Skype app, that would make it perfect for me.

And I agree, the cameras (both of them) are worlds better than the iPad's.
    02-09-12 09:04 PM
    I've had my iPad 2 since the day it came out and have had the Playbook for a week. IMO don't get me wrong the iPad is a great novelty device but the Playbook is so much better in other areas. The web browsing is MILES better than the iPad. The cameras well no comparison and Flash that was a game changer for me. I couldn't believe that I was able to stream Hockey Night in Canada last Saturday.
    Last edited by testerdennis; 02-09-12 at 09:23 PM.
    02-09-12 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD