Means nothing when Crackberry users are here for phones also. Maybe they have no need, cant afford a Playbook?
    This is a spin. Limit your data to the playbook forums and you may have something. But you don't.
    If CB users are an indication of who is purchasing tablets, I personally wish that Rim pulls the playbook out off the general consumer market.

Make it that professional tablet and the whining will stop. I don't need fluff or bells or whistles. I still believe that the original intent of the playbook was to appeal to the business community, but Rim figured they'd get fancy and changed direction.

Forget the useless apps, forget android, forget netflix, forget about apple.

Fix what you have now and I bet you can make a professional grade tablet.
    09-30-11 12:29 AM
    You do realize that market share and volume sold are absolutely relevant to economics, right? At any rate, I can't remember the last time I used the term "market share." Feel free to find it in my history, but it will likely take a while. As for making purchases, no, I don't look at "market share" or units sold. But to be fair I've never claimed any product was better or worse than any other. I just look at what's selling and what isn't. Obviously, people are buying lots of iPads. They're not buying lots of PlayBooks. This isn't news, though many on these forums consider any mention of PLayo
    I get that they are a part of economics, I just don't know what motivation an individual has in posting it. I guess it's informative for the forum. I've felt in the paste 'market share' or units sold has been correlated to whether a product is good or not which I don't agree with.

A "tablet" market has yet to be established if you're looking at sales. If consumers were interested in "tablets," and the PlayBook is one of the best out there, then I'd expect it to sell more. But it doesn't, which suggests to me there isn't much of a market. If you look at the PlayBoo as compared to the other non iPad tablets, it's doing fine. But RIM didn't get in this to ship 200K units quarter, and I don't think anyone with a clue disputes this.
    I agree with you. Sounds like from the last conference call they had they were thinking they'd being doing a lot better. Hopefully for them 2.0 will helps sales. In the long term maybe things will turn around. Don't think RIM planned or plans on supporting the Playbook for the short term.

Actually if you look at the numbers iPad 2 demand is swinging upward; it's supply that's improved, not demand that's dropped (at least based on the numbers produced thus far). There has been more advertising, but I don't' think anyone expects a company to advertise a product that isn't well supplied, which describes the first 2-4 months of every iPhone/iPad launch. In fact, in the quarter before last there were 4.7 million units sold; last quarter there were 9.3 million sold. Estimates for the quarter ended last month range from 10 million to as many as 14 million, but we'll know for sure next week.
    Thanks for that info. Makes sense. I guess that goes back to the first point of being informative.
    09-30-11 12:31 AM
    You know why the PlayBook doesn't sell? Because no one knows about it. Plain and simple.

I love Blackberry products. And I didn't even know RIM had a tablet in the market til I got active on these forums. A month - month and a half ago.
    09-30-11 12:48 AM
    You know why the PlayBook doesn't sell? Because no one knows about it. Plain and simple.
    I think if you gave the average customer an honest appraisal of the PB compared to iPad2, explaining the accompanying ecosystems, and priced as it was at launch, most people would pick the iPad.
    09-30-11 07:05 AM

I love Blackberry products. And I didn't even know RIM had a tablet in the market til I got active on these forums. A month - month and a half ago.
    This a HUGE part of the problem. I mean HP went out but before they did, i saw their commercials a few times a a day. I see APPLES commercials a few times a day, and Samsungs. I may see a Playbook/Blackberry once a week. I understand advertising cost money, but the old saying is you "Gotta spend money to make money." I think RIM needs to embrace this saying and maybe even make it the company slogan. Until RIM makes the effort to bring in customers, sales will be limited.

I agree with the others who say RIM/Blackberry should have their people make appearances in stores to promote the PB, and help sale them (once again costs money). RIM should offer sales training classes on the PB to retailers, that could help bring in money if they charged for it. In the Oil and Gas industry anytime i go to a class for stuff we have to pay for it, why cant rim do? If you educate the people selling your product on the product they are able to better push the device. People are more likely to a buy a product from a sales person who knows the device and educated on it.
    09-30-11 08:12 AM
    I think if you gave the average customer an honest appraisal of the PB compared to iPad2, explaining the accompanying ecosystems, and priced as it was at launch, most people would pick the iPad.
    I keep saying it is ridiculous to even compare them - Its like comparing apples to blackberries. One is large and red with a smooth skin, the other is small dark and a bit more bitter and has little seeds. One has the use of making apple fritters and cider, among other specialty applications, one has the use of making blackberry smoothies among other specialty applications. They both make pies - some like apple pies some prefer blackberry pies.

Some people like apples hate blackberries, some like raspberries, hate apples. Apples are more popular, more commonly available, sell better. That doesn't mean there is not a niche market for blackberries.

Because apples sell better does not mean that blackberries will disappear from the farmer's market.

They have different form factors, different uses. This comparison stuff is nonsense, whether comparing features or sales figures.
    Neither is "better"than the other. One is better for some things - the other is better for other things.

If Blackberry made a 10 inch tab and a 7 inch tab, would we be debating which is "better", and using sales figures to make that determination?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-30-11 at 11:21 AM.
    ScoobsDM likes this.
    09-30-11 11:14 AM
    Well obviously as of right now Playbook wouldn't sell as much as iPads. Cause like we've established earlier, there's an iPad market out right now. Not a tablet.

But definitely if people knew about it, it would be selling more than it is now.

I hope once OS 2.0 comes out. They start marketing it. Maybe that's why they're not wasting money advertising it right now,
    09-30-11 09:22 PM
    Well obviously as of right now Playbook wouldn't sell as much as iPads. Cause like we've established earlier, there's an iPad market out right now. Not a tablet.

But definitely if people knew about it, it would be selling more than it is now.

I hope once OS 2.0 comes out. They start marketing it. Maybe that's why they're not wasting money advertising it right now,

I cannot argue with that...
    09-30-11 09:31 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD