Iphone and Ipad are probably the two most desired consumer electronics in China..they are seen everywhere, in subway, in restaurant,cafe..recently, i noted a growing base of bb users. in the past, when i traveled in subway, i only saw people carrying Iphone, nokia and many smaller local brands..now, everyday i see some people carrying bb..these are not office workers carrying office bb, these are folks carrying bb as a personal phone..most of them don't use BIS because the cost is prohibitive relative to income..they just use it to text and wap browsing..they find bb fresh..and more and more are jumping to bb..I think RIM needs to get its act together more to capture this huge market. it needs to take down BIS cost, it needs to provide chinese support (aka playbook, where is chinese input support?)..it needs to change its mindset of only bringing in old bb to china, it needs to bring in current bb to china..it is a market for rim waiting to explode..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Dapper37 likes this.
    05-27-11 03:19 AM
    bb without BIS ??? = junk
    05-27-11 04:26 AM
    ...I think RIM needs to get its act together... it needs to take down BIS cost...
    BIS pricing is not set by RIM, it's set by the carriers. Maybe China has to make like the rest of the worlds carriers and absorb the cost of BIS and incorporate it into the price. Considering some carriers may have a 4G network, surely the infinitesimal cost of running a BIS per contract could be absorbed.
    05-27-11 04:39 AM
    How much costs BIS in china?

In austria you get unlimited BIS with 1GB for thetering/surfing outside BIS for around 10-20�, which is a lot. (Austria is one of the test markets with very low costs for consumers)

You can get all inclusive data plans for around 20� (1000min, 1000sms, 1gb), so 10� more just for bb is huge...

05-27-11 04:45 AM

In austria you get unlimited BIS with 1GB for thetering/surfing outside BIS for around 10-20�, which is a lot. (Austria is one of the test markets with very low costs for consumers)

You can get all inclusive data plans for around 20� (1000min, 1000sms, 1gb), so 10� more just for bb is huge...

India is cheaper mate.
    The BB sales here are off the charts.
    We get unlimited BIS for $10 and if you want unlimited tethering then you pay $20.
    Also you get the unlimited BIS plan for $8 on Pre-Paid connection.
    05-27-11 05:10 AM

An additional 10� just for BIS? Your CARRIER is ripping you off. RIM charges your carrier a fraction of that.
    05-27-11 08:30 AM
    India is cheaper mate.
    The BB sales here are off the charts.
    We get unlimited BIS for $10 and if you want unlimited tethering then you pay $20.
    Also you get the unlimited BIS plan for $8 on Pre-Paid connection.
    indonesia is also a bit cheaper with various BIS package as low as $6-7/mo
    05-27-11 08:49 AM
    indonesia is also a bit cheaper with various BIS package as low as $6-7/mo
    Hehe with gprs speed 64kbps..best one cost about $15per mo.
    05-27-11 10:51 AM
    I'm not so sure the BIS will ever be affordable in China due to that fact that China is still a communist country that would want control over their residents' communications devices and communicatons. Rim will not hand over codes for their NOC servers to any government, look at the middle east as an example. They can alter some apps or communications perhaps like texting that can be monitor by the government but will not allow any government to dictate their political terms to Rim's on that particular governments accessibility to Rim's servers. Sad but true for the country, good for Rim.
    05-27-11 11:30 AM
    Iphone and Ipad are probably the two most desired consumer electronics in China..they are seen everywhere, in subway, in restaurant,cafe..recently, i noted a growing base of bb users. in the past, when i traveled in subway, i only saw people carrying Iphone, nokia and many smaller local brands..now, everyday i see some people carrying bb..these are not office workers carrying office bb, these are folks carrying bb as a personal phone..most of them don't use BIS because the cost is prohibitive relative to income..they just use it to text and wap browsing..they find bb fresh..and more and more are jumping to bb..I think RIM needs to get its act together more to capture this huge market. it needs to take down BIS cost, it needs to provide Chinese support (aka playbook, where is Chinese input support?)..it needs to change its mindset of only bringing in old bb to china, it needs to bring in current bb to china..it is a market for rim waiting to explode..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and providing usefull information. New's has been coming in recently about RIM partnerships in China that covers some of your concerns. I hope they get where they need to be as well.
    The BlackBerry Partners Fund was launched in China 6 to 9 months ago. They are supplying Chinese start ups with money to do exactly whats needed. Look them up!
    05-27-11 11:58 AM
    How much are data plans for other phones? In line with bis or less?
    05-27-11 12:40 PM
    Hehe with gprs speed 64kbps..best one cost about $15per mo.
    BIS never limited to 64kbps dude, it depends on your BTS traffic and your signal quality
    05-28-11 01:44 AM
    since the no of bb users in china is not that large, so bbm is not that useful there and also they would prefer using sms over the emails
    thats what the situation i saw there
    05-28-11 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD