The guys running the 2.1Beta report they got a 3Mb update that seems to have been the Flash security patch. Everyone else got a 300-500Mb update that seems to have done rather more than patch the Flash vulnerability.
    Let me spell it out in plain language for you. The 348MB (approximate size) of the 2.0.1.668 release was the ENTIRE system image which included the 3MB Adobe patch. Every release, except perhaps one, has been the full system image not a differential patch. The 2.0.1 beta likely already contained all the functional enhancements with the exception of the Adobe patch. Have critical thinking skills gone the way of the horse and buggy?
    08-07-12 02:42 AM
    We'll be lucky to see 2.1 released in 2013. My confidence in RIM is near zero because they never seem to learn. "Failure is not an option" is missing from the approach the company takes to the development and delivery of its products.
    So, not much has changed even after the leadership change at the top regarding certain fundemental business concepts......like on time delivery. LOL. I'm sure others struggle with that as well. However, we're talking about a struggling company that so far has only delivered more promises of a new, different, and quality Blackberry experience.....TBA.......later. But, the 4G LTE Playbook is here. Hooray. Again, I hope it sells millions and single-handedly bring RIM back........and the BB10 devices and platform will become "icing on RIM's cake.
    08-07-12 03:09 AM
    Let me spell it out in plain language for you. The 348MB (approximate size) of the 2.0.1.668 release was the ENTIRE system image which included the 3MB Adobe patch. Every release, except perhaps one, has been the full system image not a differential patch. The 2.0.1 beta likely already contained all the functional enhancements with the exception of the Adobe patch. Have critical thinking skills gone the way of the horse and buggy?
    I think I said that.

Many people have reported changes to the way their PB now operates (playlists sorting properly in the music player for example) that shows 668 contained a lot more than a simple flash patch. I don't blame RIM for trying to make 668 an "added value" update by giving us more goodies than just the patch, it was a nice gesture...

Have reading comprehension skills gone the way of the horse and buggy?

RIM's statement is that the update was to cure Flash vulnerabilities, which is true (I accept that the huge build contained the patch) but is something they could have likely done with the same small patch that the Beta guys got.

As to the reason for the update pull being down to 1.07 refusniks - that's just laughable!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-07-12 at 03:11 AM.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    08-07-12 03:09 AM
    As to the reason for the update pull being down to 1.07 refusniks - that's just laughable!
    Laughable is one way to describe the situation. If there was a Dooms Day clock for Research In Motion the hands would be positioned at 5 minutes to midnight. All the cash in the bank. All the assets in their portfolio (patents, real estate, raw materials, etc.). None of this will matter if nobody has any confidence in the company or the brand. I really thought things were going to change under the guidance of the new Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins. Sadly, I was naive.
    08-07-12 04:35 AM
    However, we're talking about a struggling company that so far has only delivered more promises of a new, different, and quality Blackberry experience.....TBA.......later.
    I do not think Thorsten gets how serious the credibility gap between the words uttered by management and the reality for their customers (carriers, organizations and end-users).
    08-07-12 04:41 AM
    Laughable is one way to describe the situation. If there was a Dooms Day clock for Research In Motion the hands would be positioned at 5 minutes to midnight. All the cash in the bank. All the assets in their portfolio (patents, real estate, raw materials, etc.). None of this will matter if nobody has any confidence in the company or the brand. I really thought things were going to change under the guidance of the new Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins. Sadly, I was naive.
    I think the expression might be "gallow's humour"?

I do actually feel some sympathy for RIM, and it must sometimes feel like everything they do blows up in their face. I really do want to see BB10 on my PB one day, so I want RIM to succeed, but this isn't their finest hour.

My guess is that RIM tried to overcome the disappointment of many over not getting the public release of 2.1 by now that they took the opportunity of the flash vulnerability to issue an update that contained some of what (likely) is in 2.1.

As I said, it was a nice gesture from them.

However, going into non-communicative denial (how many days did it take RIM to announce this?, and even denying that 668 ever existed according to B1aze's front page article!), and issuing laughably implausible reasons behind the pull does nothing for their credibility.

As with all RIM statements, there is truth in there somewhere. Yes, the flash vulnerability was addressed in 668... amongst all the other stuff they didn't mention.

Similarly, I'm sure it's true that 1.07 refusniks have been badly affected by 668 (though why said people, having ignored 1.08, 2.0 & 2.0.1 should suddenly decide to embrace the future having ignored it thus far is beyond me ). But for RIM to claim that they pulled the update solely out of concern for the 1.07 people is, truely, laughable.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-07-12 at 06:54 AM.
    08-07-12 04:54 AM
    Haven't beenon these threads/forums in a long while - except for two posts last week. Is it not odd how threads on anything related to rims products come down to debate on their future stability, direction or lack thereof, financial situation, and finally their product & delays of launch?!
    08-07-12 06:39 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD