So I dithered about upgrading and now it's gone...so will all of us who missed it now have to wait until 2.1? Am confused about when THAT'S expected. Would have liked to have a flash update, which I heard was part of this pulled update.
    08-06-12 07:53 AM
    So I dithered about upgrading and now it's gone...so will all of us who missed it now have to wait until 2.1? Am confused about when THAT'S expected. Would have liked to have a flash update, which I heard was part of this pulled update.
    2.1 was suppose to be out by now, RIM botched yet another release projection. As for the .668, I missed it too but its a blessing because there were so many issues being reported that they pulled it. It was.causing browsers to crash, some experienced insane levelS of battery drain and some had their playbook heat up so bad it was dangerous to the hardware. RIM actually had to pull it.
    sagec likes this.
    08-06-12 08:51 AM
    RIM didn't botch the release projection...
    08-06-12 08:56 AM
    If the 668 release was intended to address Flash issues, then I have to presume that another will follow as soon as rim figures out what the problems were with the recalled version. Or if 2.1 is close, they could wait. Clearly, they need a more expansive beta testing system to avoid such potential problems in the future or they need lots of logs from devices that ran into the problem. I guess that's one reason to release at the early part of a work week so there's folks working that can act fast.
    08-06-12 09:15 AM
    Yes they did.

If the 668 release was intended to address Flash issues, then I have to presume that another will follow as soon as rim figures out what the problems were with the recalled version. Or if 2.1 is close, they could wait. Clearly, they need a more expansive beta testing system to avoid such potential problems in the future or they need lots of logs from devices that ran into the problem. I guess that's one reason to release at the early part of a work week so there's folks working that can act fast.
    I must admit impatience for 2.1. Sms bridge texting has been one of my two biggest entrees on my "gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!" List.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-06-12 at 09:27 AM.
    sagec and UKCatFan3 like this.
    08-06-12 09:25 AM
    if you say so...
    08-06-12 09:25 AM
    2.1 was suppose to be out by now, RIM botched yet another release projection. As for the .668, I missed it too but its a blessing because there were so many issues being reported that they pulled it. It was.causing browsers to crash, some experienced insane levelS of battery drain and some had their playbook heat up so bad it was dangerous to the hardware. RIM actually had to pull it.
    Yes they did.

I must admit impatience for 2.1. Sms bridge texting has been one of my two biggest entrees on my "gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!" List.
    if you say so...
    This is quite interesting considering a date was never set, they gave a vague timeline that people have been dissecting ever since. There are many many versions of 2.1 that have been tested, and what is being waited on would be the Enterprise customer sign off (since the enterprise EA is the main feature they are waiting for) and of course Mobile Fusion/BDS release.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-06-12 09:31 AM
    Thanks for your input. Must confess that if I had updated and I had been one of the ones with problems, it would have been a nightmare as I am working on my Playbook a good portion of each day, particularly since I got my BB keyboard and don't have to contend with the virtual one anymore...
    Guess that's why I always hang back from updates- to read the reviews! I like a tried and tested product.....
    08-06-12 09:36 AM
    Yes they did.

I decided to pass on the "missed deadline" issue. I am looking forward to the better Android experience - separate windows.
    08-06-12 09:45 AM
    The "early summer" release date for OS 2.1 was announced at the BlackBerry World conference over three months ago. It's a vague enough deadline that even RIM could abide by---so, today being the official middle of summer, I hereby declare the deadline officially botched.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-12 12:06 PM
    The "early summer" release date for OS 2.1 was announced at the BlackBerry World conference over three months ago. It's a vague enough deadline that even RIM could abide by---so, today being the official middle of summer, I hereby declare the deadline officially botched.
    At this juncture, this is impossible to really and honestly deny... What is bothering me, tho, is what it says about the state of rim, the fate of the 2.1 upgrade and rim's future now, since they can't even get a "minor" update to be solid enough to be considered reliable, resulting it in having to be pulled a few days after dropping.

If a hospital patient is incapable of walking, it would be foolhearty to assume he or she is well enough to run.
    08-06-12 01:42 PM
    Thanks for your input. Must confess that if I had updated and I had been one of the ones with problems, it would have been a nightmare as I am working on my Playbook a good portion of each day, particularly since I got my BB keyboard and don't have to contend with the virtual one anymore...
    Guess that's why I always hang back from updates- to read the reviews! I like a tried and tested product.....
    Wish I had waited too. I did the upgrade and battery drain was insane. My PlayBook went from fully charged to dead in 10 hours while in standby mode. Prior to the update I could go several days. I tried the hard reset suggested by others to no avail. I had to do a wipe and go back to the prior version to fix the problem. Working fine again now. I'll wait a little while before the next update. Once burned......
    08-06-12 03:24 PM
    The sad part about this latest little failure is that even diehard bb fans like me are starting to think it's time to stick a fork in it. I don't want an iPhone or Android, I want an amazing BB10 on my pb and on a new phone next year. Seriously starting to doubt it will happen. Praying they'll come thru but something's not right here.
    08-06-12 04:03 PM
    The sad part about this latest little failure is that even diehard bb fans like me are starting to think it's time to stick a fork in it. I don't want an iPhone or Android, I want an amazing BB10 on my pb and on a new phone next year. Seriously starting to doubt it will happen. Praying they'll come thru but something's not right here.
    I am the same as you. I feel like the faithful old horse that RIM now flogs the crap out of...
    08-06-12 04:26 PM
    Can't you folks cut rim a little slack? Uh, a bit more. More..... Eh, cut the rope! On belay, climb, climbing, cut the rope, fallinggggggggggggggggggggggggggg................. .
    UKCatFan3 and JeepBB like this.
    08-06-12 05:20 PM
    Can't you folks cut rim a little slack? Uh, a bit more. More..... Eh, cut the rope! On belay, climb, climbing, cut the rope, fallinggggggggggggggggggggggggggg................. .
    Lol! Yeah, pretty sure there's not much rope left either.
    08-06-12 05:24 PM
    Wish I had waited too. I did the upgrade and battery drain was insane. My PlayBook went from fully charged to dead in 10 hours while in standby mode. Prior to the update I could go several days. I tried the hard reset suggested by others to no avail. I had to do a wipe and go back to the prior version to fix the problem. Working fine again now. I'll wait a little while before the next update. Once burned......
    Wonder what is so special about your PB?

I have a PB64. After the .668 upgrade, it is like a new machine...snappy quick, GPS locks quick, Wi-Fi is fast, I can switch between wi-fi source without having to toggle the wi-fi on/off, Android apps run faster, battery life is better and the boot up time is quicker.

As a bonus, I found a great navigation app called OSMand. Tried it out in the weekend out-of-town. It can reroute without wi-fi...awesome. Today I have built a car mount so I can drive around with my Playbook!!!

I am having loads of fun with it. Really sorry to hear you have a problem.
    08-06-12 05:45 PM
    Wonder what is so special about your PB?

I have a PB64. After the .668 upgrade, it is like a new machine...snappy quick, GPS locks quick, Wi-Fi is fast, I can switch between wi-fi source without having to toggle the wi-fi on/off, Android apps run faster, battery life is better and the boot up time is quicker.

As a bonus, I found a great navigation app called OSMand. Tried it out in the weekend out-of-town. It can reroute without wi-fi...awesome. Today I have built a car mount so I can drive around with my Playbook!!!

I am having loads of fun with it. Really sorry to hear you have a problem.
    That is the 64 Thousand Dollar Question. Obviously, a number of folks ran into this problem and rim pulled the OS. So Rim needs to get their hands on problematic pb's or the logs (wherever those might be stored) and figure out what the problem is? Sideloaded Android, another "Manual email sync" type issue? One particular app? The wrong/right combo of apps? BT to some device?

I had the Manual email sync issue - pb lost 30% or more overnight in Standby. It also did run warm.
    08-06-12 05:56 PM
    More than likely will see a update this week possibly even tomorrow they have to have something ready for the 4g launch.

Before anyone kicks me down the CrackBerry steps I just want to say this is IMHO.
    08-06-12 06:50 PM
    The kid that was suppose to do all the recursive testing on 668 was new to rim. After seeing his verizon 4g lte phone, he ditched the testing and just emailed his boss from Paris that it was done.
    08-06-12 07:14 PM
    The kid that was suppose to do all the recursive testing on 668 was new to rim. After seeing his verizon 4g lte phone, he ditched the testing and just emailed his boss from Paris that it was done.
    I kind of said something similar yesterday. The ONE person they have beta testing this stuff must have vacation.
    08-06-12 09:13 PM
    RIM released the .668 update to fix a security issue found with Adobe Flash. Unfortunetly the update gave issues for people who hadn't updated since PB OS v1.07

Due to issues for people running OS 1.07 the update was pulled.

What would you prefer? RIM being quick to fix a POTENTIAL security issue, or, be like Apple. They have a KNOWN security issue & have told people, don't worry we will fix the problem on iOS6
    08-06-12 09:44 PM
    RIM released the .668 update to fix a security issue found with Adobe Flash. Unfortunetly the update gave issues for people who hadn't updated since PB OS v1.07

Due to issues for people running OS 1.07 the update was pulled.

What would you prefer? RIM being quick to fix a POTENTIAL security issue, or, be like Apple. They have a KNOWN security issue & have told people, don't worry we will fix the problem on iOS6
    Hmmm.... not too sure about this.

The guys running the 2.1Beta report they got a 3Mb update that seems to have been the Flash security patch. Everyone else got a 300-500Mb update that seems to have done rather more than patch the Flash vulnerability.

Many people have reported changes to the way their PB now operates (playlists sorting properly in the music player for example) that shows 668 contained a lot more than a simple flash patch. I don't blame RIM for trying to make 668 an "added value" update by giving us more goodies than just the patch, it was a nice gesture... but unfortunately, hidden amongst the goodies was a serious problem that was sufficiently serious that RIM pulled the whole update.

And, whilst RIM aren't 'fessing up what those problems were, they must have been serious or RIM wouldn't have pulled the update knowing the embarrassment they'd face and reputational damage to their competence they'd suffer.

As I said in another post, I've never seen a previous build pulled, despite the inevitable issues (for some) that resulted from each one.

I don't, myself, believe that all this kerfuffle is down to a (surely very?) few 1.07 refusniks.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-07-12 at 01:58 AM.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    08-07-12 01:53 AM
    More than likely will see a update this week possibly even tomorrow they have to have something ready for the 4g launch.

Before anyone kicks me down the CrackBerry steps I just want to say this is IMHO.
    Well, your opinion is better than someone tossing in a negatve Apple or Android comment.......quickest way to drop a cool thread into the crapper, be named Nimrod for a day and end up either defending one of the three devices for much ado about nothing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-07-12 02:07 AM
    We'll be lucky to see 2.1 released in 2013. My confidence in RIM is near zero because they never seem to learn. "Failure is not an option" is missing from the approach the company takes to the development and delivery of its products.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-07-12 02:36 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD