When converting a video for PB playback, I have been using Handbrake with the IPAD settings. My question is would it be better to covert the video on the AppleTV2 preconfigured settings for when the playbook is connected to my TV? ( this setting uses a 1280 resolution over the 1024 of the Playbook/ Ipad) Or is not enough difference to matter? If I did use the 1280 setting would the PB knockdown automatically to 1024?
    02-12-13 09:58 PM
    Most videos should not need to be converted to be played on the PB. The PB supports most video formats. What is not supported are some of the audio codecs that some videos contain- typically AC3 audio. There are programs that will convert the audio to a supported format while leaving the video alone. The advantages of doing it this way are twofold- first, the audio conversion process can be done in about seven or eight minutes for a two hour video as opposed to the one to two hours that it takes to do a full video conversion such as Handbrake does, and second,. converting video almost always will result in some loss of video quality. The programs I'm thinking of that will convert the audio only are Xvid4PSP (free on the net) or Streaming now, a paid app in app world.

Finally, you could always buy Kalemsoft Media Player in app world, which will play virtually any video that you can throw at it regardless of the audio or video codecs used.
    02-12-13 10:52 PM
    Because its a mirror I think you can only get 1024 at best but I could be wrong.
    02-12-13 11:57 PM
    Most videos should not need to be converted to be played on the PB. The PB supports most video formats. What is not supported are some of the audio codecs that some videos contain- typically AC3 audio. There are programs that will convert the audio to a supported format while leaving the video alone. The advantages of doing it this way are twofold- first, the audio conversion process can be done in about seven or eight minutes for a two hour video as opposed to the one to two hours that it takes to do a full video conversion such as Handbrake does, and second,. converting video almost always will result in some loss of video quality. The programs I'm thinking of that will convert the audio only are Xvid4PSP (free on the net) or Streaming now, a paid app in app world.

Finally, you could always buy Kalemsoft Media Player in app world, which will play virtually any video that you can throw at it regardless of the audio or video codecs used.
    I use a similar method but use two programs one is called OJOSoft Audio Converter and the other is MKVmerge. Takes about 2 mins total to convert audio in an mkv file. There is a tutorial somewhere once forums to do this.
    02-13-13 12:46 AM
    I use Magicdvdripper for my DVD conversions and the Apple TV setting is the best I've found and the one that the company itself recommends. There are many, many formats that will work, but some have a better quality than others. My video files usually come in at 1.5g. I could convert them smaller (500mb or so), but with a 64g PlayBook its not a problem.
    koxmoz likes this.
    02-13-13 01:53 AM