Really? A e-reader? It is comments like yours that get many in the CrackBerry community riled up. Can you stream music, record video, watch movies, take pictures and edit them, play games, create and edit business documents, or browse the internet with one of the best mobile browsers (with Flash) with an ereader? EXACTLY!
    Yes, actually the Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox and Nook Colour can all do most of those things and have FAR better app support.

Docs to Go on the PB is pretty poor IMO, and the PDF reader is mediocre.

I don't stream stuff so I couldn't care less about that. The Video app on the PB is awful because there is on way to organise the videos. Very frustrating.

The browser is excellent, but you can't organise your bookmarks, which is a major flaw IMO.

In terms of games the PB is excellent. It has some really great reading apps too.

But it is sorely lacking in terms of productivity.

The really silly thing is that you've just unloaded on me, and I LIKE the device a lot! But I'm not a fanboy. I have no particular loyalty to any brand because that's stupid. I bought a product and want my monies worth. And the Playbook is not what it could or should be. RIM made a fantastic tablet, but they're killing it with a lack of proper support.
    Last edited by sashlon; 08-04-12 at 10:46 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-12 10:44 PM
    Sick of the lack of "feature adding'' updates. I can't even add a person to a meeting in the calendar or archive email. Or grab a picture, send to Email. So over coming to Crackberry trying to find out when more features will be added.

Pre ordered Galaxy Note 10.1 today. Decent features only a few days away!
    08-05-12 04:01 AM
    Sick of the lack of "feature adding'' updates. I can't even add a person to a meeting in the calendar or archive email. Or grab a picture, send to Email. So over coming to Crackberry trying to find out when more features will be added.

Well you will be joining a growing group of people I believe. The playbook sales speak to this. The launch price of the lte playbook tells me RIM hasnt learned its lesson either.

I find the pulling of the recent playbook update to be another tidbit of evidence that RIM is no longer competent to do the job. How catastrophic, to not only release a minor featureless "maintenance" update weeks after we were actually lead to believe 2.1 would be released, but it be such a dismal failure they had to pull it.

I think Thorsten means well, but I have come to the conclusion that the company under Balsillie "dumb" and Lazaridis "dumber" destroyed so much integrity and effectiveness at the company with bad decisions and arrogance, plus acting as enablers for the development and execution side of the company to degenerate into almost total ineffectiveness, that Thorsten or anyone else would have to almost gut the company like a fish to repair it. Meaning, you would kill the patient before you cured the disease. By the time you implemented the changes necessary to fix what was wrong with RIM, they would fall so far behind the competition they could never ever catch up. . Stick a fork in blackberry, it's done.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-05-12 at 05:03 AM.
    ..Steve.., FF22, rcm1301 and 1 others like this.
    08-05-12 05:00 AM
    Gotta love how with any other tablet no one even expects an update.

PB?

GIVE ME 2.1 YESTERDAY! NO OTHER TABLET HAS SOME OF THESE COMPABILITIES BUT I WANT THEM NOW!!!! I HATE YOU RIM!!!! YOU SUCK!
    08-05-12 05:55 AM
    I bought a playbook on the day they dropped the price to 300 for the 64 gb model. You do realize if you keep up with the apple bs of releasing a new product every year you would have spent over 2400 dollars on 3 different I pads! Missing deadlines sucks but what makes me not so worried about it is for 300 dollars I have a device that is getting updated and they are not just pushing out a new device and asking us all to pay 800 bucks for it! The only downside is the apps and to tell you the truth. I really don't have a problem. My playbook does everything I want it to!
    And you would have made back $2100 due to their brilliant re-sale values.
    08-05-12 07:24 AM
    Well you will be joining a growing group of people I believe. The playbook sales speak to this. The launch price of the lte playbook tells me RIM hasnt learned its lesson either.

I find the pulling of the recent playbook update to be another tidbit of evidence that RIM is no longer competent to do the job. How catastrophic, to not only release a minor featureless "maintenance" update weeks after we were actually lead to believe 2.1 would be released, but it be such a dismal failure they had to pull it.

I think Thorsten means well, but I have come to the conclusion that the company under Balsillie "dumb" and Lazaridis "dumber" destroyed so much integrity and effectiveness at the company with bad decisions and arrogance, plus acting as enablers for the development and execution side of the company to degenerate into almost total ineffectiveness, that Thorsten or anyone else would have to almost gut the company like a fish to repair it. Meaning, you would kill the patient before you cured the disease. By the time you implemented the changes necessary to fix what was wrong with RIM, they would fall so far behind the competition they could never ever catch up. . Stick a fork in blackberry, it's done.
    I don't normally quote the whole message, but twins needs repeating. You Sir, are reading my thoughts.
    ..Steve.. likes this.
    08-05-12 07:27 AM
    But yet you guys are still here, and on CrackBerry cheering the demise of BB all the while they are trying to fix the things you don't like
    08-05-12 07:50 AM

I have to say after owning two Android tablets (HTC Flyer and Nexus 7) and Playbook, that my experience with both platforms is mixed.

I am loving my Nexus 7 but wish the build quality and features were better. Jelly Bean is now a really good experience with some exceptions. The biggest is true multitasking, which does come into place from time to time. The problem with the Flyer and MANY other Android tablets is that there is no post sale support. Google releases new Android versions regularly but odds are that your phone/tablet won't get one. Yes. There is developer activity for many devices. I know that these guys try hard but most dev-made upgrades (not based on an existing build) don't work like they should. So, enjoy your Samsung now but don't expect Samsung to support it six months from now. Sad but true.

Your are also right that Playbook's updates are not great. Plus, each of the last two upgrades was screwed up in some way with the last one being pulled. I question how RIM can be relied on to release a good BB10 experience if it screws up minor updates like this. But, there is something about Playbook and RIM that I don't want to give up on. I think the end will not pretty but I will be there to see it!
    08-05-12 07:57 AM
    RIM used to be pretty good at rolling out updates and the product experience does get better and better with those updates. Now they are downsizing and at the same focusing on the most important product they ever developed, i can totally understand why their pace has slowed down this year.

You know, I have been thinking about jumping ship to SGSIII, it's an awesome device does many simple things brilliantly. But when I think about the way I have used my BB as a productivity and life management device, I don't see how SGS3 can easily replace my BB9810 (not to mention the companion device PB). The biggest thing for me is I don't want to consolidate all my email/calendar accounts into Gmail, if I don't have to. BB gives me this option and I love it. This is why I am willing to wait until BB10 and see how it turns out.
    08-05-12 10:05 AM
    On another note, I don't think people should be forbidden to talk about the shortcomings of RIM devices. Nothing is perfect and BB does have so much to catch up on many things. Denial is not the solution.

If I like to have an awesome text editor on PB, I should be allowed to talk about it. If I don't how could those app developers know there is a demand there?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-05-12 10:12 AM

carriers set the price,not rim.
    08-05-12 10:21 AM
    I've never had an issue with updates on the PlayBook. Here's how to find out of a major problem is in fact a major problem. It'll end up on mainstream news

You'll have to realize that OS updates are BOUND to fail for SOME. There is no OS update in which EVERY single user experiences flawlessly. The PlayBook has received in total 11 updates to the operating system. It'll continue to be supported with further updates.

I put OS 2.0.1.668 on my PlayBook and I had absolutely no issues, it actually ran a bit better than 2.0.1.358, After a short while I reverted back to 2.1 Beta simply because of the updated Android Runtime and a few other features. Also I needed the beta to test out some webworks apps I'm developing.

Remember that a forum is only representative of a small minority of the total community. Chances are that we PlayBook users on all the PlayBook forums combined in the world, we probably represent less than 20 percent of the entire 1.3+ million user base.
    08-05-12 10:51 AM
    carriers set the price,not rim.
    The final shelf price, but that is based on what rim says it needs to make a profit.

If, in the case of an unlocked tablet tied to no carrier, then....
    08-05-12 10:54 AM

The blame for the colossal RIM failures should be placed where it really belongs - the Board of Directors. They are responsible for the sad performance of the two co-morons and for replacing them with another vanilla CEO. Like so many other tech failures (HP and Kodak come to mind) the board could have done so much - instead they 'slept while RIM was burning". They deserve to be fired!
    08-05-12 11:04 AM
    The blame for the colossal RIM failures should be placed where it really belongs - the Board of Directors. They are responsible for the sad performance of the two co-morons and for replacing them with another vanilla CEO. Like so many other tech failures (HP and Kodak come to mind) the board could have done so much - instead they 'slept while RIM was burning". They deserve to be fired!
    Weeeeeell.... Yea i am going to have to say you are right. Or, admit blame was to be shared. One group did it, the other group permitted it.

I get so bummed out when I think of where RIM could be now if those co-morons had been run off a few years ago and all the damage to the blackberry brand name had not been done.
    08-05-12 01:59 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD