I reckon it's human nature to hang around.

It's the "I can't believe they'd do it to me AGAIN!!!" response... psychologists probably have a big word for it... and so you hang around to prove to yourself that they won't.

Recall that Peanut's cartoon where (every year) Lucy pulls the football away just as Charlie Brown is about to kick it? Charlie Brown is us!
    I suppose that it depends on your expectations. The Playbook has had one really major OS upgrade and is going to have a significant one in 2.1, even if we are not sure when yet. That is pretty poor if you are comparing it to iOS, where you can expect a major revision each year and know that your device will be able to run at least a few upgrades. However, most Android tablets never get an OS upgrade or have to be rooted in order to do so. I much prefer what RIM has done with the Playbook, and I don't think that it's a shock thaty a large number of layoffs will delay software releases.
    08-03-12 04:36 PM
    Huh? So you think we are not allowed to be even critical towards it's own product? That's very narrowminded of you.
    Not to mention futile. Some consumers are more descriminating than others. Consumer A may say "here is my money, give the product and I don't care what it really does." Well, most of us aren't in that category. Many of us say "I like what you are advertising, here is my money, THAT's the product I want" and if the product delivered isn't what the seller promised, we have a legit complaint.
    08-03-12 04:51 PM
    This pretty much sums up every person waiting on anything from rim, They have only proven time and time again the only thing that they can keep is to be coming up with new lines and new excuses as to why they cant actually make anything work on time like every other company.
    "LIke every other company?" Which ones do you mean? Microsoft? Apple? Think back to the Longhorn and Copeland projects. Longhorn had to be rewritten from scrap and it turned out to be Vista. Copeland was eventually scrapped and replaced by a BSD kernel. I also seem to remember game consoles not meeting promised dates. It's one thing to criticise RIM for missing delivery dates, it's another to claim that RIM is exceptional in this regard.

PlayBook owner, Ubuntu user
    08-03-12 08:29 PM
    This pretty much sums up every person waiting on anything from rim, They have only proven time and time again the only thing that they can keep is to be coming up with new lines and new excuses as to why they cant actually make anything work on time like every other company.
    Friday night and Imma changing my Nic to Turbo_SourPuss

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzINc8fTDhE&feature=related[/YT]
    08-03-12 08:43 PM
    Man, I used to think the old Storm forums here on CB were nuts. But at least they weren't full of noobs telling people to STFU for being critical of RIM.
    dynot likes this.
    08-03-12 08:44 PM
    PB OS to BB10 is like BBOS7 to PB OS...different product..therefore:
    1. PB OS is just a transitional, beta OS evolving into BB10 as a finished product
    2. No developers wants to devote efforts to make apps for a transitional OS
    3. RIM will concentrate on the finished product, BB10, rather than updating PB OS which will be redundant (perpetual beta) anyway
    4. Hence we will not see anything revolutionary in wifi PB with existing OS (base 2.x) until its updated to BB10 OS (if it can be updated?)
    5. Wifi PB is indeed a beta test since the target OS is not PB OS, it is BB10 (which may be called PB OS 3.0 or whatever)
    6. What we can do now is just sit and pray and enjoy the laggy buggy OS 2.x until times comes for BB10
    08-03-12 09:53 PM
    4. Hence we will not see anything revolutionary in wifi PB with existing OS (base 2.x) until its updated to BB10 OS (if it can be updated?)
    Has there been any official word on this? That would truly make it redundant. Otherwise I would sell mine while they are still worth something and wait for Playbook with BB10.
    08-03-12 10:05 PM
    as for update to 2.1 or 2.x...no official word makes me think that it is true...we are 3-4 months away to BB10 launch..so the focus is now surely on BB10..why would RIM devote on this interim hardware/software?

as for possibility of updating PB wifi to BB10...i am not sure. we may go the way lumia 900..no update to windows 8...its up to the hardware requirement.

as beta test sure wifi playbook only leaves $$$ of losses and utter disappointment.
    Last edited by sportline; 08-03-12 at 10:19 PM.
    08-03-12 10:17 PM
    Hopefully RIM's pulling resources from OS2.1 development to work on regular BB10...
    Last edited by greatwiseone; 08-04-12 at 02:17 AM.
    08-04-12 02:05 AM
    as for update to 2.1 or 2.x...no official word makes me think that it is true...we are 3-4 months away to BB10 launch..so the focus is now surely on BB10..why would RIM devote on this interim hardware/software?

as for possibility of updating PB wifi to BB10...i am not sure. we may go the way lumia 900..no update to windows 8...its up to the hardware requirement.

as beta test sure wifi playbook only leaves $$$ of losses and utter disappointment.
    Sadly, I'm beginning to think this might be the truth of the matter. I'm doubting more and more that RIM will ever deliver BB10 to the pb. Too much talk and diversion and not enough results. I feel pretty let down really. I love the pb feel and UI, but its just an ereader now. I hope they deliver, but I'm not counting on it.
    dynot likes this.
    08-04-12 02:44 AM
    I'm certainly not expecting any major OS upgrade until BB10, or whatever it'll be called on the PlayBook. Minor updates like this week's 2.0.1.668, yes; a major update like 2.1, no.

Just my hunch, nothing more concrete than that. Like others have said; why divert resources on OS2.x, when they'd be best used to polish BB10.
    08-04-12 02:49 AM
    Sadly, I'm beginning to think this might be the truth of the matter. I'm doubting more and more that RIM will ever deliver BB10 to the pb. Too much talk and diversion and not enough results. I feel pretty let down really. I love the pb feel and UI, but its just an ereader now. I hope they deliver, but I'm not counting on it.
    I'm not sure where you get that from, unless you're just generally pessimistic about RIM's ability to deliver BB10, period.

Couple of things to remember: if RIM delivers BB10 handsets, they'll get it out for the PB. Remember that the PB represents pretty much the same hardware, without the phone bits.

Secondly, if RIM reaches a point where they're not confident in being able to launch at all, they could call Microsoft and wave a white flag.

I'm still confident that they can pull this off.
    08-04-12 04:23 AM
    I hate to rain on everybody's parade... But if this is truly a delay in release because RIM has shifted their focus to bb10... And Thorsten has admitted bb10 release has been delayed until January 2013 (which means actually later than that)... Do the math. There will be no 2.1 this year.

I am now willing to bet this recent "minor" pb update is, in fact, just a placebo meant to sooth the nativesnas they grow more restless. Other platforms are releasing new devices ane gaining marketshare while RIM loses market share and delays everything.
    08-04-12 07:28 AM
    There is evidence that they (RIM) said early summer, BUT those announcements were before the announced delay of BB10 phones.

So it's all tied together because the OS isn't ready. Remember, the PB is the gateway OS to BB10 and there for, the reason for the delay of BB10 is because the OS isn't 100% ready and what they have done with the BB10 OS is copy the PB OS, the PB OS isn't ready to be updated as of yet because it doesn't meet their standards.

So for anyone that wants to nitpick that the speculation was for early summer/July 31st, that sums it up for you...

It's not that RIM failed to deliver, but when you actually step back for a moment and look at the time line, everything is hinging on the PlayBook OS. So if they pushed back the timeline of the phones because the OS wasn't up to par as of yet when it was announced, step back and see where it stems from.
    You mean RIM isn't meeting a perceived deadline? You mean people are resorting to speculation because we haven't heard enough? You mean when they said summer they really meant summer 2013? Didn't we already have this conversation?

Nothing (new) to see here.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-04-12 07:50 AM
    Man, I used to think the old Storm forums here on CB were nuts. But at least they weren't full of noobs telling people to STFU for being critical of RIM.
    Keep fighting the good fight guys! lol

The 2.1 OS was never promised so I'm not sure why anyone would blame RIM.

As for holding RIMs feet to the fire to make PB better, it was released over a YEAR ago lol either you're not getting the message or RIM doesn't care. The RIM doesn't care bit doesn't hold up unless you're blind to all the change that's happened. Not sure if I'd call it massive change but significant for sure.

Personally if I worked at RIM I doubt I'd take any advice from the chronic whiners here on CB.

Anyway I guess its not just the noobs anymore
    08-04-12 08:01 AM
    It's a figure of speech about summer time, dude!
    Sorry, I guess I have never heard that expression used before.
    08-04-12 09:19 AM
    Really? A e-reader? It is comments like yours that get many in the CrackBerry community riled up. Can you stream music, record video, watch movies, take pictures and edit them, play games, create and edit business documents, or browse the internet with one of the best mobile browsers (with Flash) with an ereader? EXACTLY!
    08-04-12 09:32 AM
    Keep fighting the good fight guys! lol

The 2.1 OS was never promised so I'm not sure why anyone would blame RIM.

As for holding RIMs feet to the fire to make PB better, it was released over a YEAR ago lol either you're not getting the message or RIM doesn't care. The RIM doesn't care bit doesn't hold up unless you're blind to all the change that's happened. Not sure if I'd call it massive change but significant for sure.

Personally if I worked at RIM I doubt I'd take any advice from the chronic whiners here on CB.

Anyway I guess its not just the noobs anymore
    Evidently you haven't completely digested all that rim is experiencing right now. The impression you are giving off is that all is great with RIM and the complainers have no grounds to stand on.

RIM is no longer even in the top 5 of handset manufacturers in the world (fact recently covered in the mags). The reported an actual loss last quarter. Market share is shrinking. More third party IT users are dropping blackberry products in favor of bring your own phone policies. Ticker RIMM is embarassingly low, at about 5 times trailing earnings. Finally, bb10 was delayed, forcing rim to cancel all holidays and leaves and make a ruke that drvs must work nonstop until the OS is released,.a move of obvious desperation.

I would say rim IS ignoring and has ignored.complaints from the customer base for years and that is why they are where they are at now.

By the way... No company in this sector uses the word "promise" when discussint releases so I don't know what a company has to do to earn this description of "having promised" but it is well documented that rim reps.made the statement "early summer" at the recent blackberry world..Google it or look at links posted right in these forums.

RIM's legacy now is unquestionably one of delays and decreasing market share.
    dynot, ..Steve.. and kevinnugent like this.
    08-04-12 10:14 AM
    Evidently you haven't completely digested all that rim is experiencing right now. The impression you are giving off is that all is great with RIM and the complainers have no grounds to stand on.

RIM is no longer even in the top 5 of handset manufacturers in the world (fact recently covered in the mags). The reported an actual loss last quarter. Market share is shrinking. More third party IT users are dropping blackberry products in favor of bring your own phone policies. Ticker RIMM is embarassingly low, at about 5 times trailing earnings. Finally, bb10 was delayed, forcing rim to cancel all holidays and leaves and make a ruke that drvs must work nonstop until the OS is released,.a move of obvious desperation.

I would say rim IS ignoring and has ignored.complaints from the customer base for years and that is why they are where they are at now.

By the way... No company in this sector uses the word "promise" when discussint releases so I don't know what a company has to do to earn this description of "having promised" but it is well documented that rim reps.made the statement "early summer" at the recent blackberry world..Google it or look at links posted right in these forums.

RIM's legacy now is unquestionably one of delays and decreasing market share.

The problem is BB10 is the priority like it or not. I happen to not like waiting but it isn't going to change and honestly I hope it doesn't since that would only delay BB10 even more. BB10 is basically what everyone wants and needs here, we just have to accept that it takes a lot longer than Mike and Jim led us to believe.

I don't remember the early summer comment, but maybe its because whenever they give a date it isn't credible. I mean if you know that they have been ignoring customers for years, bought a PlayBook and still believe that they will release updates when they say well I think its a perfect match
    08-04-12 10:59 AM
    I mean if you know that they have been ignoring customers for years, bought a PlayBook and still believe that they will release updates when they say well I think its a perfect match.
    I assume that's an insult but I will ignore it.

The reason we all believed all we were told about the Playbook is because THAT was to be the device that mike and jim used to prove that RIM could still "do it", and stop their streak of missed deadlines and broken oromises. BB10 wasn't even in the cards at the time, as qnx was already suppose to be the bomb and when the playbook came out it was suppose to "be all that and a bag of potatoe chips".

Well, over a year later and yet a renewed streak of missed deadlines and broken promises tell us that nothing changed. Fact is, now we are past the "wait and see them prove themselves" stage, they had that oppurtunity plus a few more (remember 60 days scheduked? Android by end of that summer?)... Its just foolish to keep handing them a blank check and say "cheat me again please."

Thorsten said that one of the problems. That he was going to f was the execution stage of its products. His legacy already now is letting bb10 get delayed among other misses.

Proof positive all I am saying about rim is correct? Look no further than the market share dynamics and thr stock price.. Yet all they keep saying is "coming soon."
    08-04-12 11:31 AM
    Not was not an insult per se.

Just about everybody on the planet knows what has been going on at RIM. Why make all of us re-live it again and again?
    08-04-12 11:56 AM
    I'm just going to say what many have already said; the fact that BB10 was delayed is separate. Do RIM think the average consumer is going to hear about that and think, "ohhhh, tough times at RIM, probably won't get 2.1 now", no, they're going to think "good thing 2.1 isn't delayed!". If BB10 being delayed means 2.1 is delayed (which it really shouldn't), then they need to stop expected everyone to assume and understand and say "Unfortunately, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 will also be delayed for a short period of time.".

It's one thing to have the OS delayed, but seriously brainwashing ourselves into thinking that they told us it was delayed is getting a little too Double-Think for me, do you have THAT much sympathy for RIM? Just tell us that the OS is delayed and get your things together.
    rcm1301 and anon(4018671) like this.
    08-04-12 12:25 PM
    I'm just going to say what many have already said; the fact that BB10 was delayed is separate. Do RIM think the average consumer is going to hear about that and think, "ohhhh, tough times at RIM, probably won't get 2.1 now", no, they're going to think "good thing 2.1 isn't delayed!". If BB10 being delayed means 2.1 is delayed (which it really shouldn't), then they need to stop expected everyone to assume and understand and say "Unfortunately, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 will also be delayed for a short period of time.".

It's one thing to have the OS delayed, but seriously brainwashing ourselves into thinking that they told us it was delayed is getting a little too Double-Think for me, do you have THAT much sympathy for RIM? Just tell us that the OS is delayed and get your things together.
    I really like the Orwellian references there. Perfect. �There never was a time frame given for 2.1�.... �It is delayed due to BB10�...

... �2+2=5�

Am i the only one that has noticed a dichotomy with the current excuses given by the cheering section? If no time frame, deadline or release date has been given, then how can it be "delayed", whether due to bb10 or the phase of the moon or what the entrails of an owl reveal?
    rcm1301, ..Steve.. and zethaaron like this.
    08-04-12 04:20 PM
    Exactly, don't get me wrong I absolutely love my PlayBook, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to care that BlackBerry could do with just coming out and saying sorry guys, it's going to be a little longer.
    08-04-12 07:05 PM
    I bought a playbook on the day they dropped the price to 300 for the 64 gb model. You do realize if you keep up with the apple bs of releasing a new product every year you would have spent over 2400 dollars on 3 different I pads! Missing deadlines sucks but what makes me not so worried about it is for 300 dollars I have a device that is getting updated and they are not just pushing out a new device and asking us all to pay 800 bucks for it! The only downside is the apps and to tell you the truth. I really don't have a problem. My playbook does everything I want it to!
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    08-04-12 08:37 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD