There is evidence that they (RIM) said early summer, BUT those announcements were before the announced delay of BB10 phones.

So it's all tied together because the OS isn't ready. Remember, the PB is the gateway OS to BB10 and there for, the reason for the delay of BB10 is because the OS isn't 100% ready and what they have done with the BB10 OS is copy the PB OS, the PB OS isn't ready to be updated as of yet because it doesn't meet their standards.

So for anyone that wants to nitpick that the speculation was for early summer/July 31st, that sums it up for you...

It's not that RIM failed to deliver, but when you actually step back for a moment and look at the time line, everything is hinging on the PlayBook OS. So if they pushed back the timeline of the phones because the OS wasn't up to par as of yet when it was announced, step back and see where it stems from.
    08-03-12 09:43 AM
    There is evidence that they (RIM) said early summer, BUT those announcements were before the announced delay of BB10 phones.

So it's all tied together because the OS isn't ready. Remember, the PB is the gateway OS to BB10 and there for, the reason for the delay of BB10 is because the OS isn't 100% ready and what they have done with the BB10 OS is copy the PB OS, the PB OS isn't ready to be updated as of yet because it doesn't meet their standards.

So for anyone that wants to nitpick that the speculation was for early summer/July 31st, that sums it up for you...

It's not that RIM failed to deliver, but when you actually step back for a moment and look at the time line, everything is hinging on the PlayBook OS. So if they pushed back the timeline of the phones because the OS wasn't up to par as of yet when it was announced, step back and see where it stems from.
    True, but surely RIM should do away with this garbage of 'by early summer' stuff. And even if the OS2.1 was delayed because of BB10 pushout, THEN COMMINICATE THAT TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! Even if RIM come out today and announce that OS2.1 will only come out by 8/31, I can live with that because it will stop this useless bickering and speculation and we all can go to the beach until then.
    08-03-12 09:53 AM

If this is indeed the case then I find it difficult to believe that BB10 handsets will be ready in January.
    08-03-12 10:02 AM
    True, but surely RIM should do away with this garbage of 'by early summer' stuff. And even if the OS2.1 was delayed because of BB10 pushout, THEN COMMINICATE THAT TO THEIR CUSTOMERS! Even if RIM come out today and announce that OS2.1 will only come out by 8/31, I can live with that because it will stop this useless bickering and speculation and we all can go to the beach until then.
    While I agree with your point, I also think that people spend too much time focusing on the negative. Are you really not going to the beach because 2.1 isn't out yet? My PlayBook worked great yesterday, it works great today, and it will work great tomorrow.. ...regardless if it has 2.0, 2.1 or 10.0 on it. While I (like most people) would like the improvements and additional functionality that 2.1 and BB 10 will bring, I certainly haven't stopped living (or using my wonderful tablet) because they aren't here yet.
    08-03-12 10:04 AM
    Are you really not going to the beach because 2.1 isn't out yet?
    It's a figure of speech about summer time, dude!
    08-03-12 10:06 AM
    I'm running beta 2.1, and even though I know it's a beta release, using it I don't think of it as a beta release. It seems virtually bug free, certainly less buggy than the last official release that I ran, and the android player is soooooooo much better than in the last official release. So as far as I'm concerned, the beta was ready for prime time the day it was released.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-03-12 10:06 AM
    I thought the OS was done mostly, and that they were working on building the 'platform' around it and integrating code/parts to make the "platform"
    08-03-12 10:08 AM
    2.1 predicates on other features as well, and BB10 is being developed (at this state) completely separately than PB OS 2. The dev BB10 that you see is the lead in (though the official BB10 OS that RIM is using is WAY ahead of that), PB 2.1 has more to do with enterprise than anything prior. Mobile Fusion is tied to this release.
    08-03-12 10:08 AM
    Does it not make sense for RIM to push the 2.1 update on the release day of the 4G (August 9)? The maintenance update we just got could be doing a little prep work behind the scenes for 2.1 so that when it arrives it's as good as it could be. 4G comes a week after the minor update. The enhancements that come in 2.1 could only help the sales of the 4G, so why not release it the same day?

Obviously they wouldn't release it if it were ready, but if it is ready, I could see the 4G release date as a good day to push 2.1.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    08-03-12 10:10 AM
    You beat me to the punch.
    What many are failing to grasp is that the playbook community is anxious and still keeping high hopes RIM will follow through and fill in some of the holes; we take their word when statements are released because, quite frankly, it is good business to say what you are going to do and then do what you say. It falls in line with having good PR and integrity.

Making an announcement that includes a schedule or time frame, then not doing it, severly makes a withdrawal from the faith and good credit bank account. If the original statement was "by early summer but if and only if ____________" it would cover their collective rear-ends but that statement is not on record. To just dismiss another missed time frame with a reason that is formed out of thin air is not a wise move because you essentially give the statement maker carte blanche to break all promises as long as a follow up excuse is manufactured.

In other business sectors such practices are severely frowned upon. A few slips are forgiven as human error, but even the crackberry team on the podcasts acknowledge that RIM has built a legacy over the last 3 or more years of this very error.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-03-12 at 10:16 AM.
    08-03-12 10:13 AM
    As time goes on, there is less and less complaining because there are fewer and fewer of us hanging around to complain.

We all expect to be disappointed.

I have been thinking that I have some personality defect that I continue to hang around and wait for RIM to deliver. There is definitely something wrong with me. The smart move is to move on and don't look back.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-03-12 12:09 PM
    As time goes on, there is less and less complaining because there are fewer and fewer of us hanging around to complain.

We all expect to be disappointed.

I have been thinking that I have some personality defect that I continue to hang around and wait for RIM to deliver. There is definitely something wrong with me. The smart move is to move on and don't look back.
    I reckon it's human nature to hang around.

It's the "I can't believe they'd do it to me AGAIN!!!" response... psychologists probably have a big word for it... and so you hang around to prove to yourself that they won't.

Recall that Peanut's cartoon where (every year) Lucy pulls the football away just as Charlie Brown is about to kick it? Charlie Brown is us!
    mzceetee and llamax like this.
    08-03-12 12:18 PM
    This pretty much sums up every person waiting on anything from rim, They have only proven time and time again the only thing that they can keep is to be coming up with new lines and new excuses as to why they cant actually make anything work on time like every other company.
    Since Heins took over earlier this year, RIM has actually had a great record of actually meeting its targets.

This is the first one I've seen in a while that didn't get met, and it was a pretty soft target to begin with (what window does "early summer" represent, anyway? The half-way point would be August 4, so presumably anything before then could be "early" summer). I'm hoping we're just looking at a week or two's delay, and I can live with that.

OP makes a reasonable point; that 2.1 is being delayed by some of the same things that necessitated the pushback of BB10 to early next year. Truth is, we'll never know.
    08-03-12 01:53 PM
    Since Heins took over earlier this year, RIM has actually had a great record of actually meeting its targets.
    BB10? Heins delayed that.

What was actually released?
    kevinnugent, rcm1301 and ajp558 like this.
    08-03-12 02:11 PM

And the reason they didn't dispell the early summer impression was ...???

Come on, these folks are supposed to be pros, or at least becoming more professional post-Mike/Jim. I own a business way smaller and less sophisticted than RIM, but we are also #1 in our market. If there is an expectation out there that I am aware of and I'm going to do something that doesn't live up to that expectation, I'm smart enough to deal with that up front and proactively. I don't bury my head in the sand and ignore the situation. It's called "managing expectations". It's called "respecting loyal clients". It's called "smart business".

When you, as a user, have to be the one defending RIM like this, with no word from RIM to the entire Crackberry user community, it's a joke. It's unprofessional. It's disrespectful. It speaks poorly of the new CMO. And it doesn't bode well for quality execution in the future.

- R.
    08-03-12 02:20 PM

This is the first one I've seen in a while that didn't get met ...
    Umm, no. BB10 delay, remember? Not soft, not unimportant.

- R.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-03-12 02:24 PM

This is the first one I've seen in a while that didn't get met, and it was a pretty soft target to begin with (what window does "early summer" represent, anyway? The half-way point would be August 4, so presumably anything before then could be "early" summer). I'm hoping we're just looking at a week or two's delay, and I can live with that.

OP makes a reasonable point; that 2.1 is being delayed by some of the same things that necessitated the pushback of BB10 to early next year. Truth is, we'll never know.
    Not only that, but the "early summer" prediction comes from a leaked RIM slide that was never meant to be public. You can't blame RIM for not making that date.....though I wish they had.

So far, since Heins has been CEO RIM has made every release promise EXCEPT BB10 by the end of the year.
    08-03-12 02:38 PM
    Recall that Peanut's cartoon where (every year) Lucy pulls the football away just as Charlie Brown is about to kick it? Charlie Brown is us!
    RIM vs BB user?
    JeepBB, mzceetee and llamax like this.
    08-03-12 02:45 PM
    RIM vs BB user?
    Now add some other peanuts character standing on the sideline, telling us (charlie brown) while we are flat on our back staring at the sky, "well, nobody ever said Lucy was going to actually let you kick the ball this time!"

But.... Though..... Lucy......just...... Did.

Again.
    rcm1301 and JeepBB like this.
    08-03-12 02:47 PM
    If you don't like BB jump ship and join up with the Apple or Google group. The BBPB is a fine device particularly at the current low prices. But it is what it is. If it doesn't do what you want get something else and phone back once in a while and tell us how much better off you are. Since BB OS 2.1 is still in beta understand why they wont release it to the general public BB users. Heins has been CEO for only a few months and deserve a chance to see if he can produce up to the game he talks.
    08-03-12 03:50 PM
    If you don't like BB jump ship and join up with the Apple or Google group. ...
    And if you don't like the posts, don't read them.

- R.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-03-12 04:13 PM
    Well there is the off chance they meant Indian Summer. That is around October up here.

Seriously I agree with you.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    08-03-12 04:19 PM
    And if you don't like the posts, don't read them.

- R.
    +1. Well said.

I would add, also, that I paid RIM for a product and won't let them win by bailing out and going and giving yet another company a pile of my money. Rather, I will continue to hold RIM to its promises and remind them of same.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-03-12 04:20 PM
    While I agree with your point, I also think that people spend too much time focusing on the negative. Are you really not going to the beach because 2.1 isn't out yet? My PlayBook worked great yesterday, it works great today, and it will work great tomorrow.. ...regardless if it has 2.0, 2.1 or 10.0 on it. While I (like most people) would like the improvements and additional functionality that 2.1 and BB 10 will bring, I certainly haven't stopped living (or using my wonderful tablet) because they aren't here yet.
    you are a few of RIM users who don't need any update because regardless what RIM gave to you, it works great and you don't need more
    08-03-12 04:22 PM
    If you don't like BB jump ship and join up with the Apple or Google group.
    Huh? So you think we are not allowed to be even critical towards it's own product? That's very narrowminded of you.
    08-03-12 04:36 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD