01-27-12 05:54 PM
72 123
tools
    I would have to disagree. Here in Vancouver it seems like tonnes of people are buying this thing! When they were at 200$ people snatched them up. When they did the all three for the same price, people snatched them up. Out of my friends and family i have one, uncle has one, a couple of my buddies have one. even my grandma bought one!

This device is amazing in my opinion, i really love the multi-tasking and would say that is the best os to date. There are a few kinks that still need to work out and i think once 2.0 is released everything will be smoothed over. The android market will fill the app gap. Also the new remote controlling with your bb is an amazing concept. Not to mention being able to type with your bb keyboard on your PB. Wow that is amazing if you ask me, being able to use my 9900 keyboard on my bb? Fantastic.

I would like to congratulate rim on what i consider to be an outstanding product!
    Thankyou RIM
    01-20-12 03:19 PM
    Hopefully your optimism will reflect in the sales numbers for the next quarter!
    anon(3896606) and crackman22 like this.
    01-20-12 03:27 PM
    im totally with you on that one.

all this bashing is going on and the whole time im thinking those ppl are crazy. i am a lifer when it comes to blackberry/rimm. i have a huge collection of old bb starting from the 8700r.

the 9900 and pb are a deadly combination of force and power.

and with all the new stuff coming we are on top of the world.

go canucks go
    01-20-12 03:36 PM
    Only going to increase after 2.0 drops!

go bruins go
    crackman22 likes this.
    01-20-12 03:42 PM
    I don't think anyone's been saying "it hasn't been selling" since November. Let's hope the price permanently settles at a happy medium.
    Last edited by Lead_Express; 01-20-12 at 04:51 PM.
    crackman22 likes this.
    01-20-12 03:51 PM
    Myself, my sister-in-law and my nephew have all bought playbooks in the last 3 weeks. Thats 3 in one family.
    01-20-12 04:04 PM
    And 4 in mine. My daughter, her 2 children and me. They don't answer their mobiles but they sure do with video chat.
    djmm2 likes this.
    01-20-12 04:46 PM
    I've been going back and forth as to whether I should get a second PB. A little over a week ago I was in a Staples to pick up a couple of things and on impulse decided to go ahead and do it. So, I shuffled over to where they had the tablets and looked for a sales person.

It only took a moment to flag down a sales guy (which is one reason I like Staples, a little better than average service). The guy had a friendly smile and seemed eager to help, but when I asked about a 64gb PB, his body language instantly stiffended. He then asked if I was sure about my choice of tablet. I told him I was very sure and asked him why he was questioning my choice. He told me that since no one was buying them, they probably wouldn't be around much longer. After assuring his that I was quite confident that him concerns were unfounded, he said he'd be right back and went to get my PB.

It took him quite a while to return and I began to fear that there might be a problem. When he finally did reapear, the first thing I noticed was that he was empty handed. I also noticed a sort of sheepish embarrassed look on his face. As he approached, I asked if there was a problem. He kind of looked down at his shoes and said "I'm so sorry. We're all sold out."
    Last edited by justincase1911; 01-20-12 at 05:48 PM.
    01-20-12 05:12 PM
    not being bias, I have 4 tablets.

1. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB
    2. Blackberry Playbook 16GB
    3. HP Touchpad 32GB
    4. Velocity Micro Cruz T301

I prefer to take the blackberry with me every day, the extra features of being on the internet all the time, with the Bridge link to my phone, reading my emails on my playbook, along with calendar functions take the cake. Then with the bonus of being able to install most Android apps makes it even better. Using PhoneMyPC, I can get to my Home and Work PC with 2 clicks. The battery life easily makes it through the day, which is another HUGE bonus. Last but not least, being able to plug the playbook easily into any large flatscreen TV with an HDMI input, to either work or play with a huge monitor puts it over the edge.

I would take the Playbook over any tablet.
    01-20-12 05:51 PM
    ... He told me that since no one was buying them, they probably wouldn't be around much longer.
    He kind of looked down at his shoes and said "I'm so sorry. We're all sold out."
    Bwahahahahahaha! Beautiful.... and maybe he's gone and picked one up for himself now too.
    01-20-12 05:52 PM
    Not sure about now but over the holiday season it was almost impossible to find one here in southern Sask.
    crackman22 likes this.
    01-20-12 05:57 PM
    I bought my 16gb back in october for $300+tax. When the prices went down, i bought a 64gb for myself, 64 gb for my dad and gave the 16gb to my mom.

Now my mother can't seem to put it down and my father finds it much better than his iPad2 in terms of productivity. I laughed when he said the iPad is only good for Angry Birds. And I can videochat with them too!

My class is only 66 people and there are 4 PB users, 4 iPad2 users and an Acer tablet user. Pretty good ratio, methinks.
    mikeyplaybook66 and djmm2 like this.
    01-20-12 06:00 PM
    Hopefully your optimism will reflect in the sales numbers for the next quarter!
    BTW, when are those out? Any idea?
    01-20-12 06:17 PM
    I think the quarter ends around the end of Feb, so the results should be out early March.
    01-20-12 08:31 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    not being bias, I have 4 tablets.

1. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB
    2. Blackberry Playbook 16GB
    3. HP Touchpad 32GB
    4. Velocity Micro Cruz T301

I prefer to take the blackberry with me every day, the extra features of being on the internet all the time, with the Bridge link to my phone, reading my emails on my playbook, along with calendar functions take the cake. Then with the bonus of being able to install most Android apps makes it even better. Using PhoneMyPC, I can get to my Home and Work PC with 2 clicks. The battery life easily makes it through the day, which is another HUGE bonus. Last but not least, being able to plug the playbook easily into any large flatscreen TV with an HDMI input, to either work or play with a huge monitor puts it over the edge.

I would take the Playbook over any tablet.

I agree .. and travel with mine all over the world
    Berryuman likes this.
    01-20-12 08:36 PM
    I think the quarter ends around the end of Feb, so the results should be out early March.
    hmmm... sounds like the $299-for-any-size sale till Feb 4th, the upcoming Dev Con, the OS2 release, etc. is all strategically planned so they can publish some solid numbers during the next quarterly results call...
    01-20-12 08:45 PM
    I would have to disagree. Here in Vancouver it seems like tonnes of people are buying this thing! When they were at 200$ people snatched them up. When they did the all three for the same price, people snatched them up. Out of my friends and family i have one, uncle has one, a couple of my buddies have one. even my grandma bought one!

This device is amazing in my opinion, i really love the multi-tasking and would say that is the best os to date. There are a few kinks that still need to work out and i think once 2.0 is released everything will be smoothed over. The android market will fill the app gap. Also the new remote controlling with your bb is an amazing concept. Not to mention being able to type with your bb keyboard on your PB. Wow that is amazing if you ask me, being able to use my 9900 keyboard on my bb? Fantastic.

I would like to congratulate rim on what i consider to be an outstanding product!
    Thankyou RIM
    Huh? Why do you think RIM lowered the price?

As much as I like my PB, I would not have bought it if the price didn't drop.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    01-20-12 08:52 PM
    I don't think there's ever been doubt the Playbook will sell well at $200. The problem is, that price is unsustainable for RIM.

It is interesting that in spite of the firesale price and the obvious demand, some retailers have stopped selling the Playbook. Did RIM stop giving them stock, or, are sales of the Playbook at that price undercutting sales of more expensive tablets on which the stores make more profit?
    01-20-12 08:54 PM
    hmmm... sounds like the $299-for-any-size sale till Feb 4th, the upcoming Dev Con, the OS2 release, etc. is all strategically planned so they can publish some solid numbers during the next quarterly results call...
    RIM's supposed to be giving a report to its board in January, so we may get some information quite soon...
    01-20-12 08:56 PM
    Hard to find the 64 GB ones, but lots of 16GB ones available at Future Shop in Vancouver (Broadway store).
    01-20-12 09:03 PM
    Research In Motion - Investor Events
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-20-12 09:43 PM
    We have 6 now in our immediate family...all bought after they used my first 16GB both bridged to my PB and on my high speed broadband connection at home. Interesting is that they werent impressed in the store...but with the internet properly enabled and a few quality apps and media on it, it sold itself. I so wish Rim would law down some demo units in stores with some good apps and a quality internet connection so people can experience this thing as it should be. The in store experience could really be improved and would do wonders for sell through.
    peter9477 and taylortbb like this.
    01-20-12 10:14 PM
    The fire sale is certainly helping sales... I would not have purchased at original prices. That said, I would never purchase an iPad for the reason of high prices. A coworker peaked my interest when he talked about buying a 16gb PB for his brother for $200 as an Xmas present, and he was genuinely impressed.

I held off at Xmas, though the CES coverage of OS 2.0 and $299 price for a 64gb PB has me typing this from my own 2-day old PlayBook. Majority of PB retailers in Calgary are sold out of 64gb models and most that I visited were sold out of ALL models, with nothing to offer. A couple smaller mobile phone retailers that were out of stock said they could not get anymore in, though they wish they could because of the demand due to price drops. I am curious to see some sales numbers from the holidays and the current sale.

Regardless of the price reductions, I doubt they would be selling out everywhere without word of mouth validating that this is a solid device with very capable software. It is not without its flaws, and even if RIM disappoints with OS 2.0 - they have still moved a lot of devices into consumers hands that will be hungry for Applications. This will no doubt motivate developers, even if only Android developers to consider repackaging their Droid apps to supplement their existing Android Marketplace sales.

At the sacrifice of profits on hardware, the last couple months have no doubt generated some momentum for RIM, ... IMHO.
    01-21-12 12:14 AM
    Then with the bonus of being able to install most Android apps makes it even better.
    I dont have the os 2 beta but im eagerly awaiting os 2.0 official... when you so most, are you really saying over 50% of the android apps are useable on the Playbook with the android player???
    01-21-12 04:54 AM
    Huh? Why do you think RIM lowered the price?

As much as I like my PB, I would not have bought it if the price didn't drop.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    To be fair Sony has dropped permanently prices on its tablet, i have seen discounts on Samsung Galaxy tablets. Apple is one that does not need to do any "significant" discounting.
    01-21-12 05:15 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD