To be fair Sony has dropped permanently prices on its tablet, i have seen discounts on Samsung Galaxy tablets. Apple is one that does not need to do any "significant" discounting.
    Which one of those have you seen drop to $200?
    01-21-12 05:23 AM
    I randomly read/ear/saw some figures about estimated sales.
    Can't be taken as a *real* statistic, but the number I have in head for 2011 is around a million PB shipped. Let's see what will append after 2.0 gets released ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-21-12 at 05:58 AM.
    01-21-12 05:25 AM
    To be fair Sony has dropped permanently prices on its tablet, i have seen discounts on Samsung Galaxy tablets. Apple is one that does not need to do any "significant" discounting.
    They did it with phones ... stock clearance.
    01-21-12 05:29 AM
    I have one my mom has one my sister has one my brother inlaw has one. We all love them and i dont leave without it. Matter of fact my case is also my wallet. We all cant put them down. what i hate is best buy said they stopped selling them and brook stone said the same thing about the cases. what we have is what we have. once they sell out we will just sell ipad cases.
    Last edited by igotberryfever; 01-21-12 at 07:17 AM.
    01-21-12 05:51 AM
    Huh? Why do you think RIM lowered the price?

As much as I like my PB, I would not have bought it if the price didn't drop.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    I always intended to buy one for Christmas, even at regular price. However once they went on sale once I reasoned they would again during the Boxing Day sales. Not everyone bought them solely because they were on sale.
    igotberryfever likes this.
    01-21-12 07:08 AM
    I don't think anyone's been saying "it hasn't been selling" since November. Let's hope the price permanently settles at a happy medium.
    whether we want it or not, after all the hyperbole dies down, the only "happy medium" the masses will accept is $300 and under. Latest news is that interest in the Kindle Fire which was the first mainstream sub-$200 'tablet' to hit the shelves is starting to fizzle out. On top of that, both Google and Asus are releasing $200-$250 tablets this year. With quad-core processors. The playbook will have to accept a similar price niche or die. They don't hold enough brand name loyalty to demand their old prices ever again for this particular tablet. As much as I'm abso-F-ing-lutely delighted with the QNX swipe gesture UI on this tablet, that's a feature appreciated by those with a refined eye for innovation not shared by the general public who are hardly tech savvy.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 01-21-12 at 09:43 AM.
    Toodeurep and Harley Kid like this.
    01-21-12 09:33 AM
    I just ordered my fourth from the BlackBerry store. By the way, sale ends February 4 according to the banner on the BlackBerry store Web site. Wonder if that is the realease date for OS2?
    What page did you see that on? shopblackberry.com shows the sale ends January 28th.
    01-21-12 09:58 AM
    At the sacrifice of profits on hardware, the last couple months have no doubt generated some momentum for RIM, ... IMHO.
    Unfortunately, it's not merely a "sacrifice on profits"; at current prices, RIM is literally paying people buy the PlayBook. They are losing money on each sale, which is why the pricing is unsustainable for the current PlayBook hardware. RIM just doesn't have the cash to sell unprofitable hardware for an extended period of time in an attempt to buoy is market share. That being said, if they can create a hardware package that they can profitably sell for the low-pricing we've seen recently, they may have something. But it won't be this current hardware.
    Last edited by Economist101; 01-21-12 at 10:09 AM.
    01-21-12 10:05 AM
    I have yet to see a PB in the wild now down here in Miami, but I went to Mr. chow in South Beach last week and saw a ton of new Bolds. I was pleasantly surprised.
    01-21-12 10:22 AM
    Unfortunately, it's not merely a "sacrifice on profits"; at current prices, RIM is literally paying people buy the PlayBook. They are losing money on each sale, which is why the pricing is unsustainable for the current PlayBook hardware. RIM just doesn't have the cash to sell unprofitable hardware for an extended period of time in an attempt to buoy is market share. That being said, if they can create a hardware package that they can profitably sell for the low-pricing we've seen recently, they may have something. But it won't be this current hardware.
    If they are in fact losing money on each sale, I am not surprised. The pricing for the hardware when compared to other tablets of equal caliber feels like RIM is undercutting the market to sell PlayBooks. That translated to me buying one...

Hopefully they settle on a price structure that is fair for them and the consumer, even if it is not on this iteration. I believe the word of mouth and 'new' interest in the device is shooting holes through the bad media reviews since launch.

Even if this ends up being a failed test bed for QNX on BB10 phones, I'm glad to take advantage of the price drop and be along for the ride - wherever we end up!
    01-21-12 12:16 PM
    With the Fire at $199 and quad-core tablets apparently coming at $249, it is increasingly difficult to see RIM making a profit on the Playbook. But, the Playbook manufacture costs are probably dropping, too. RIM may pull a rabbit out of the hat, yet. Meanwhile, consumers are the winners.
    01-21-12 02:40 PM
    Quad core or dual core doesn't really matter. I don't think the PB needs a quad core any more than a Windows 7 phone needs dual core. They work superb and at many times, faster than what the competitors have with better hardware (I have yet to see a tablet or phone that runs as buttery smooth as my PB and Focus and as stable) Unfortunately that's how manufacturers sell products, bells and whistles will always sell better than solid hardware/software combos. General consumers gobble that up. No different than someone just having to have that 12 Megapixel point and shoot camera because its the biggest number, even if it is a waste.

People need to stop comparing the PB to things like the Fire. Fire is a glorified e-reader with a locked down Android OS (Remember now, most consumers don't care about root and custom roms) That would be like comparing it to the Kobo Vox, people don't look at it and think tablet, they think e-reader. PB should be compared to "real" tablets like the iPad and Galaxy Tab because it is a tablet first just like them.

RIM has an issue, they want to have their products in everyone's hands but still carry the enterprise mentality and have no clue how to reach the general public (just look at the horrendous PB adds) The next PB is going to be priced against the next iPad and other major brand name tablets, not the low end tablets. Although excellent products Blackberry is not the same calibre that Apple and Android are in the consumers eyes. They will alienate the core consumers till they are backed into a corner like they did with the PB.

Who knows maybe they will get smart this time. I sure hope they do. Personally I would have no issues dropping $500 on a tablet as long as the hardware is sound and software is up to par with what I need.
    01-21-12 03:27 PM
    I agree - the amount of cores does not really guarantee how good a product works. OS2 beta is really smooth and very usable. More than many other tablets.

But a hardware refresh is only a matter of time and maybe bring 2 more cores ;-)

To the main topic: I really wish RIM would officially put the playbook in sale in germany. I got mine from amazon.uk for a reasonable 260€. But an offical sale would be very cool. At least I would get one for my mother to enable video chat :-)
    01-21-12 04:53 PM
    I've been going back and forth as to whether I should get a second PB. A little over a week ago I was in a Staples to pick up a couple of things and on impulse decided to go ahead and do it. So, I shuffled over to where they had the tablets and looked for a sales person.

It only took a moment to flag down a sales guy (which is one reason I like Staples, a little better than average service). The guy had a friendly smile and seemed eager to help, but when I asked about a 64gb PB, his body language instantly stiffended. He then asked if I was sure about my choice of tablet. I told him I was very sure and asked him why he was questioning my choice. He told me that since no one was buying them, they probably wouldn't be around much longer. After assuring his that I was quite confident that him concerns were unfounded, he said he'd be right back and went to get my PB.

It took him quite a while to return and I began to fear that there might be a problem. When he finally did reapear, the first thing I noticed was that he was empty handed. I also noticed a sort of sheepish embarrassed look on his face. As he approached, I asked if there was a problem. He kind of looked down at his shoes and said "I'm so sorry. We're all sold out."
    I just received my 5th one, I now have two for myself, couldn't resist picking up a 64G for $299. Also picked up a new charger on sale from Walmart.....
    01-21-12 06:21 PM
    I always intended to buy one for Christmas, even at regular price. However once they went on sale once I reasoned they would again during the Boxing Day sales. Not everyone bought them solely because they were on sale.
    You may be right but when it was on sale it became a no brainer. Like for me I've always wanted one but at the "regular" price it was basically an unecessary expense. But when the price dropped, I bought 2 of them. Now I am looking to buy more however at the moment they're sold out. Still waiting for the shipments to come through. So basically IMO RIM did the right thing by "taking a hit" financially with the PB sales but ensured that more PB end up in user's hands.
    01-21-12 06:40 PM
    Yes on shopblackberry.com this morning. I wish i had pulled a printscreen.
    It's the same on the Canadian site. The banner on the main page of the site has a different end date than the text on the PlayBook page. I wonder if they have decided to end the sale early because they are selling better than expected. I also wonder if they are going back to the previous normal price. Maybe they have a different "deal" in mind starting the middle of next week.
    01-21-12 08:16 PM
    I just received my 5th one, I now have two for myself, couldn't resist picking up a 64G for $299. Also picked up a new charger on sale from Walmart.....
    WOW, I can't imagine having 5 of them. What do you use them for?
    01-21-12 08:18 PM
    not being bias, I have 4 tablets.

1. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16GB
    2. Blackberry Playbook 16GB
    3. HP Touchpad 32GB
    4. Velocity Micro Cruz T301

I prefer to take the blackberry with me every day, the extra features of being on the internet all the time, with the Bridge link to my phone, reading my emails on my playbook, along with calendar functions take the cake. Then with the bonus of being able to install most Android apps makes it even better. Using PhoneMyPC, I can get to my Home and Work PC with 2 clicks. The battery life easily makes it through the day, which is another HUGE bonus. Last but not least, being able to plug the playbook easily into any large flatscreen TV with an HDMI input, to either work or play with a huge monitor puts it over the edge.

I would take the Playbook over any tablet.
    I have 3 of the same tablets too except the velocity one. I take the PlayBook everywhere I go and use it every day. It's the device I use most all day long!
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-21-12 08:37 PM
    You and few other die hard RIM fans willing to purchase PB at whatever price won't make a difference at all. To OP, of course people are buying PB now, but even with deep discount, more people still choose others over PB.

Again, everyone around me at work who purchased PB recently, the sole reason was the discounted price and flash support, AND they had BB. None of them were considering purchasing PB before it went on sale.
    01-21-12 09:04 PM
    You and few other die hard RIM fans willing to purchase PB at whatever price won't make a difference at all. To OP, of course people are buying PB now, but even with deep discount, more people still choose others over PB.

Again, everyone around me at work who purchased PB recently, the sole reason was the discounted price and flash support, AND they had BB. None of them were considering purchasing PB before it went on sale.
    To be honest, Ive always wanted the playbook, and I could not justify paying $500 for one. Then again, I personally cannot justify spending $500 on ANY tablet. As a personal leisure expense, theres really no reason for me to buy a tablet bcz I could live without one, probably like most people, even though I love having one around.
    Flexin likes this.
    01-21-12 09:39 PM
    I would have to disagree. Here in Vancouver it seems like tonnes of people are buying this thing! When they were at 200$ people snatched them up. When they did the all three for the same price, people snatched them up. Out of my friends and family i have one, uncle has one, a couple of my buddies have one. even my grandma bought one!

This device is amazing in my opinion, i really love the multi-tasking and would say that is the best os to date. There are a few kinks that still need to work out and i think once 2.0 is released everything will be smoothed over. The android market will fill the app gap. Also the new remote controlling with your bb is an amazing concept. Not to mention being able to type with your bb keyboard on your PB. Wow that is amazing if you ask me, being able to use my 9900 keyboard on my bb? Fantastic.

I would like to congratulate rim on what i consider to be an outstanding product!
    Thankyou RIM
    I agree. I had to make dozens of calls and hunt for week before I could find one in stock back in Nov when they were on sale for $199
    01-21-12 09:41 PM
    Quad core or dual core doesn't really matter. I don't think the PB needs a quad core any more than a Windows 7 phone needs dual core....
    People need to stop comparing the PB to things like the Fire. Fire is a glorified e-reader with a locked down Android OS ....
    Personally I would have no issues dropping $500 on a tablet as long as the hardware is sound and software is up to par with what I need.
    The point is that the $199 Fire has set the bottom of the range for 7" tablets, and those $249 quad-core tablets apparently soon appearing are going to set the top of the range. That makes it hard for RIM to sell the Playbook at a profit. You may be willing to pay $500 for a Playbook while similar tablets go for <$250, but most people won't.

BTW, I've compared them, and the Playbook and Fire are very similar in their hardware and feel. Not surprising since the design and production of both were outsourced to the same company--Quanta. Screens are almost identical. Playbook has better sound, more RAM and more storage. The Fire is way ahead in the software department, with just about everything that the Playbook lacks.
    01-21-12 10:15 PM
    i just hope the momentum of the sales keep going even after the ipad 3 comes. but since it wont play flash i could care less go playbook !!!!!
    01-21-12 10:54 PM
    The point is that the $199 Fire has set the bottom of the range for 7" tablets, and those $249 quad-core tablets apparently soon appearing are going to set the top of the range. That makes it hard for RIM to sell the Playbook at a profit. You may be willing to pay $500 for a Playbook while similar tablets go for <$250, but most people won't.

BTW, I've compared them, and the Playbook and Fire are very similar in their hardware and feel. Not surprising since the design and production of both were outsourced to the same company--Quanta. Screens are almost identical. Playbook has better sound, more RAM and more storage. The Fire is way ahead in the software department, with just about everything that the Playbook lacks.
    Does not really matter to me if it was a Playbook or any other tablet for $500. Not really into all that brand stuff, if its good its good. I agree that at $500 the PB is on the expensive side but folks have to remember who RIM targets, $500 is not bad for Mr. Business man. Yes they had a laughable campaign for everyone but that vanished almost as soon as it launched. RIM at its core is for enterprise customers and havent the foggiest what the world outside of that want. They will go bigger and better with the next one but the pricing is probably going to still be geared towards that market. Besides no one will moan when the next iPad comes out about price and will still give their first born to have it. If Apple has proven one thing it's price doesnt matter. People may get more out of Android or even QNX but iOS is still king.

It really all comes down to choice but I don't think its a good comparison when people put the Playbook up against the Fire. I think its better compared to say the 7" Galaxy Tab or something like that. The Fire is an e-reader first and tablet second. If we are going to compare apples to apples then compare the Fire with the Nook or Vox. Maybe we will see some better similarities once 2.0 launches and all those droid apps make the PB another Cc of every other tab. If they had sold this with honeycomb no one would have thought twice about the cost. If I recall the Galaxy Tab was pretty pricey a year ago too. we can all keep our fingers crossed that RIM gets it right next round, they really do have an excellent system here.
    01-22-12 12:10 AM
    I am a long time Palm user, and have one of their WebOS phones, and really like that particular OS. So, when Palm/HP came out with their tablet, I thought I would like it. Of course, when I tried it, I found it bulky and slow, so I looked around at what else was out there. The Playbook was by far the one I was most impressed with, but I just didn't feel that $500 was in my budget for one.....

When the Kindle Fire came out, I bought one before trying it. It took me about a half hour with it to realize I absolutely hated it, and I sent it back. Then, the HP fire sale happened, and I missed out on THAT....

When I saw the Playbook on Black Friday sales, I was very interested, but I was not going to deal with crowds, so I let it go, figuring that it was not meant to be.

Imagine my surprise, then, when right before Christmas, both Best Buy and Staples had the thing for $199! I ordered one for me and one as a gift for my sister (she really wanted the HP tablet, but never got one either).

I love mine, and she was totally thrilled with hers. I prefer the 7" form factor to the bigger tablets (more portable, easier to hold), and she does also. Interestingly enough, the Playbook interface is not terribly different from the WebOS interface, so it was pretty easy to get used to. (I even can use my old folding Palm Bluetooth keyboard with the Playbook when I want to use it as a surrogate laptop! (It works fine, in case anyone has one lying around.))

I'm looking forward to the updated OS, as I use a few different email accounts for work and home, and the integrated mail will be very convenient.

I think that RIM has an excellent product here which can succeed if they keep the price down in the $300 range AND they realize that the target market for these is not just enterprise users....Once they get a larger audience on board, then they can expand their devices and range of prices for them, too.

I'm really pleased with mine....
    Fenrir26 and alan510 like this.
    01-22-12 12:28 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD