I emailed BBC Iplayer Support asking if/when support for the Playbook would be available, here is their response -

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand that you would like to know when BBC iPlayer downloads may become compatible with Blackberry Playbook.

It does not currently support any of the protected formats we use for mobile downloads, without which downloads cannot be offered. We aim to make BBC iPlayer Mobile available via a wide range of devices now and in future so download support may be available in future.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

So, the door is left ajar rather than being firmly shut............

Andy
    06-28-11 03:28 PM
    I emailed BBC Iplayer Support asking if/when support for the Playbook would be available, here is their response -

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand that you would like to know when BBC iPlayer downloads may become compatible with Blackberry Playbook.

It does not currently support any of the protected formats we use for mobile downloads, without which downloads cannot be offered. We aim to make BBC iPlayer Mobile available via a wide range of devices now and in future so download support may be available in future.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

So, the door is left ajar rather than being firmly shut............

Andy
    What? iPlayer works flawlessly in the browser. What's the point of asking this?
    06-28-11 04:16 PM
    Because if the PlayBook had an app, then it could support downloading programmes and keeping them for 30 days like on the desktop app.

Oh, and the HD playback wouldn't stutter like it does in the browser at the moment.

Interestingly, I have been onto RIM support about iPlayer playback issues and there was a hint that there might be some collaboration going on to get an app available. But please, that was just what was inferred - don't take it as fact.

As it stands, I think that the PlayBook is having some trouble with the BBC codecs at high quality, which is why BlackBerry support has been calling me each day this last week to discuss it and let me feed them back information.

Hopefully this will get sorted soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 04:44 PM
    i sat and watched top gear in hd last night with no issues, no noticeable lag or checkerboarding due to compression

ive also watched an episode of "not going out" in standard definition through the bridge browser (connected to my Curve 3G) which worked fine, aside from a slightly longer buffer time at the start
    06-28-11 05:20 PM
    The website does work fine on the PB but I agree it would be better being able to download the programs and then watch them on you device without having rely on the3G signal or the need for wifi. I did have issues at the beginning with iplayer but that seem to be related to my wifi which looks like that has now been resolved.
    06-29-11 02:59 AM
    As mentioned by another poster it is downloading and watching later that is a problem, watching "live" works fine.
    06-29-11 01:48 PM
    Hi

I was watching live or replay programs with no problem until 4 days ago, now live bbc on iplayer just hangs after about 10 seconds, if I reload, it will play again for 10 seconds and thats it.
    Yet all replay non live programs work perfectly, and the same for youtube or any other streaming, it is only live BBC.

It says I have insufficient bandwidth, but I have the top BT infinity 40mb package, and BBC live iplayer works on my netbook or desktop.

Any ideas? especially why it would just stop all of a sudden 4/5 days ago?
    01-03-12 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD