12-04-12 06:25 AM
37 12
tools
    The playbook was a disaster because it had a bare bones os with no ecosystem. Double edged sword. Would the PlayBook have done better if it launched with BlackBerry10? Of course it would have, it would have done better with 2.1 even. So now that Rim has the OS and are working on the ecosystem, one would have to think that a second gen PlayBook would fair much better than its os1 counterpart did.

Hiens has said it before "BlackBerry10 is not just a mobile or Tablet" os"
    Sounds to me like there are indeed plans for a tablet. My hunch is we will all know a bit more come Jan 30
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-02-12 03:52 PM
    By saying BlackBerry OS 10 is a mobile computing platform for more than tablets does not imply the BlackBerry PlayBook will ever receive BlackBerry OS 10, only that devices other than tablets will receive BlackBerry OS 10. In fact, he said it is not strictly for mobiles (smartphones and standard wireless telephones).
    12-02-12 04:09 PM
    I am not sure of the origin of the "pb will get bb10." Whether in a speech or interview or wherever but I think it was said. And I believe that it is intended EXCEPT that if the bb10 phones turn out to be a bust, then I would guess all bets and betas are off and wishes may not make it so. Otherwise, I do expect we will get a pb version of bb10. So everybody go out and buy the new phones when they are released whether you need/want one or not!
    12-02-12 05:13 PM
    How much does rim make from appworld? Can't they sell at a slight loss and make it up via apps movies and music downloads?
    12-02-12 05:44 PM
    Tablet is a big part of the eco system plan but right now RIM need to release phones when its time to repackage and resell the playbook .Thor will speak about it.But right now its about the phones its that simple.
    12-02-12 07:10 PM
    So with the 4G PlayBook "coming soon to the U.S" per BlackBerry.com does anyone really think that Rim is not working on a tablet version of BlackBerry10 right now? Of course they are
    Frank Boulben said BB10 was coming to PlayBook along with BBM I can think of a few more Rim employees who stated BBM is coming to PlayBook. So why doesnt anyone believe it? Its not like they have to build a whole new OS from the ground up,the code is already there. BlackBerry10 looks absolutely amazing and i see it doing well
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-02-12 08:13 PM
    Well, I don't think RIM wants to think about tablets until they have had a decent launch on BB10 on the phones. They can't commit on bringing devices with such low profit margins. It's really hard to compete on the tablet market unless there are some services tied to them...
    12-02-12 09:23 PM
    BBM on the PlayBook will be a service. I doubt very much we will get it for free. RIM needs to get people talking about BlackBerry10 and people need to see it. Launching BB10 on Playbook puts it into the hands of 2 million marketers of BlackBerry10 for RIM.
    12-03-12 01:28 AM
    Mentioning the PB or tablets would not be consistant with being "laser focused". He's just trying to keep the message simple and consistent.
    12-03-12 05:32 AM
    Frank Boulben said BB10 was coming to PlayBook along with BBM I can think of a few more Rim employees who stated BBM is coming to PlayBook. So why doesnt anyone believe it? Its not like they have to build a whole new OS from the ground up,the code is already there. BlackBerry10 looks absolutely amazing and i see it doing well
    Do you have links to those quotes?
    12-03-12 05:44 AM
    In addition to a variety of RIM employees confirming to me, personally, on probably six different occasions, that it will be on the way post-launch, we have a variety of public interviews where RIM execs have mentioned it as well.

Here's a post where I link to one from Thorsten which ought to address most of the concerns. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/#post7712242

Obviously some people will say "yeah, but that was more than an hour prior to this other thing where he sounded more ambiguous about it!". Sure, whatever... why even bring that up when obviously nobody can say with absolute certainty whether we'll get it at any time up to the moment we each have BB10 installed in our PlayBooks? (I can just imagine this discussion still carrying on when half of us have updated, and the others are worrying whether RIM will definitely keep the update server running long enough for them to get it too!)

I like F2's point above: there's no guarantee about this unless RIM's survival is assured, and that won't happen until after BB10 launches and sales go well enough. Still, as far as their intention goes, it could not be more clear.
    Desktoper likes this.
    12-03-12 08:26 PM
    Thanks Peter.
    You do say the article was published on Sep 28, 2013 which lead me to believe you were psychic. Now I realize it was a typo.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-04-12 06:25 AM
37 12