Here is a link to an interview Mr. Heins gave to CNET 2 weeks ago (but RIM just retweeted it this morning).

RIM CEO: We'll win back users with BlackBerry 10 (Q&A) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

He focuses on the idea of mobile computing versus the current concept of smartphones with apps on a grid.

He also mentions how they're going to reveal tantalizing tidbits about BB10 as the launch date progresses.

Then he goes all cagey saying "Hmmm... we're thinking about it" in response to her question about the role of tablets in BB10.

But I see that as "he'll time the announcement to get the most sizzle" possible.

Then he also says the exact date of BB10 product availability is dependent on the carriers but will be "pretty close" to the launch date. Pretty close could be a couple of weeks but not a couple of months as some others have suggested. I'm willing to take him at his word. He is all about under-promising and over-delivering.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 12-03-12 at 06:34 PM. Reason: To fix "retweeted" from the autocorrect
    12-01-12 11:03 AM
    I don't like that answer about the tablet question.
    12-01-12 11:31 AM
    I too am a tad disconcerted by that answer but I guess that's Thorstein's way of trying to save the excitement of the announcement for the actual announcement itself.
    12-01-12 11:55 AM
    Given the ridicule the PB suffered at the hands of the media, it makes sense to downplay its existence or future until the status of the phones is secure in the marketplace. Then when the time is right, and people are asking "wouldn't it be great if there were a tablet with this fantastic BB10 OS on it?", step forward Thorsten Heins to say "well, yes, it would be great, and there is such a tablet".
    SK122387, spike12, Snap51 and 1 others like this.
    12-01-12 03:19 PM
    I'd love a 10" tablet from RIM. I've been really happy with my PlayBook and would buy a bigger version or even a newer version of the 7" PlayBook with updated specs and screen.
    PatrickMJS, SAM18 and Qaxl like this.
    12-01-12 03:23 PM
    I'd love a 10" tablet from RIM. I've been really happy with my PlayBook and would buy a bigger version or even a newer version of the 7" PlayBook with updated specs and screen.
    _______

I don't call a 10 inch tablet mobile computing. One might as well get a more powerful notebook.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-01-12 03:28 PM
    He cannot compromise at this point. IF (big if) BB10 does spectacularly well in the quarter it is released, then RIM will have room to think about going ahead and upgrade the PlayBook OS.

We all hope this is the case. Otherwise, some of us will feel defrauded, after buying PlayBooks by the handful.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    12-01-12 05:08 PM
    Here is a link to an interview Mr. Heins gave to CNET 2 weeks ago (but RIM just retested it this morning).

RIM CEO: We'll win back users with BlackBerry 10 (Q&A) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

He focuses on the idea of mobile computing versus the current concept of smartphones with apps on a grid.

He also mentions how they're going to reveal tantalizing tidbits about BB10 as the launch date progresses.

Then he goes all cagey saying "Hmmm... we're thinking about it" in response to her question about the role of tablets in BB10.

But I see that as "he'll time the announcement to get the most sizzle" possible.

Then he also says the exact date of BB10 product availability is dependent on the carriers but will be "pretty close" to the launch date. Pretty close could be a couple of weeks but not a couple of months as some others have suggested. I'm willing to take him at his word. He is all about under-promising and over-delivering.
    I watched that interview. I interpreted the interviewer's question as 'Are you going to release a BB10 tablet?', not 'Is the Playbook going to be upgraded to BB10?'. It makes sense that Thor is a bit noncommittal when it comes to releasing a BB10 tablet, considering the failure of the Playbook.

If news of their latest patent is correct, RIM is looking at having the smartphone as the 'drop-in brains' of a keyboard-and-screen kind of 'terminal' unit. Possibly this 'tablet' will instead resemble a notebook computer, but all the brains will be in the smartphone, which is then inserted into this portable device.

So Thor's answer to the interviewer's question could have been odd, simply because the interviewer asked the 'wrong' question. Maybe the question should have been 'will BB10 feature in any mobile computing devices besides tablets and smartphones?'
    12-01-12 05:37 PM
    "
    But, what's it going to look like? I mean, you've got smartphones, you'll probably have a BlackBerry 10 tablet...
    Mmm.
    Is that a "yes"?
    We're thinking about it.
    "

With Google and Amazon selling competent tablets at cost, RIM would be... unwise to release a new one. Unless of course they have a spare billion or two to try to buy tablet market share by selling at a loss for a tablet life cycle.

Oh right, they tried that already.

All efforts must go toward trying to establish profitability with BB10 phones. Perhaps a goodwill BB10 release for old Playbooks next summer if things are going well and it can be done cheaply. Don't count on it though.
    CairnsRock and Drew808 like this.
    12-01-12 06:40 PM
    Part of the discouragement is all the little kiddies (read presumptuous users) who take a suggestion in a press release or interview and turn it around into a promise, which happens a lot around here.

Yes, in this household, we love our PlayBooks, but we've already upgraded our old phones to Torch 9860s and won't see a BB10 device for a while, so BB10 for the PlayBook not happening or further delayed is also discouraging.

But either way we'll still be BlackBerry faithful because everything else has too many deal breakers to look at.

Not holding our breath any longer and getting back to the rest of life.
    12-01-12 06:55 PM
    I love the 7 inch its so easy to carry around, but a ten inch version of the PB for the house would be great.
    12-01-12 07:06 PM
    Hi Patrick, thanks for thread, thats been bothering me too.

Here,s what I,m surmising IMHO of course:

RIM would like to have another tablet, but the competitive environment with Apples domination due its iTunes and App ecosystem, Kindle and Google selling at cost, plus the Playbook net book loss, makes it a very tough nut to crack.

They may have to adopt the Windows and Google model of liscensing BB10 to Asus and the likes, and let them tough it out. That approach may be 2014 business as BB10 will need 2013 to establish credibility.
    12-01-12 08:11 PM
    I too am a tad disconcerted by that answer but I guess that's Thorstein's way of trying to save the excitement of the announcement for the actual announcement itself.
    You're characteristically optimistic. I'd suggest that it's more like Thorstein's way of saying " Um we are praying BB10 saves our company and if it does we will look at retro fitting our now irrelevant tablet".

With this whole iPad mini thing going on, it's extremely more frustrating that RIM bungled the Playbook so bad.
    Drew808 likes this.
    12-02-12 12:10 AM
    "

With Google and Amazon selling competent tablets at cost, RIM would be... unwise to release a new one. Unless of course they have a spare billion or two to try to buy tablet market share by selling at a loss for a tablet life cycle.

All efforts must go toward trying to establish profitability with BB10 phones. Perhaps a goodwill BB10 release for old Playbooks next summer if things are going well and it can be done cheaply. Don't count on it though.
    Praise sanity. Perfectly correct. With their phone business staring down oblivion it's arrogant to assume they even care about the rounding error that is the Playbook.
    12-02-12 12:12 AM
    Praise sanity. Perfectly correct. With their phone business staring down oblivion it's arrogant to assume they even care about the rounding error that is the Playbook.
    Not to mention the fact that RIM's profits have always came from phones that have attached service fees. Time to focus soely on profit building there. Talking about tablets right now would probably scare investors.
    rfkuehn likes this.
    12-02-12 12:20 AM
    Why is it that the RIM critics here do not have and use the product?

I don't give the opinions of non users much credibility. Not saying they don't have a right to their opinions just that I take them for what they are, baseless and inexperienced.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-02-12 12:46 AM
    He noted there will probably be different SKU's for different colors. In other words at some point we should be expecting atleast one other color of blackberry 10 device than the presumed first black devices.
    12-02-12 10:09 AM
    My feeling - BB10 for the pb will come or will not come. Don't count on it.

As others have hinted or stated, if the bb10 phones are not very successful, we may never see bb10 for the pb. Rim may just never get there.

Now, I do wonder what would be considered a successful bb10 phone launch and sell-through. I would guess that there will be initial pent up demand for the New and Glamorous. But will that be 500,000 sales to their 70-80 Million subscribers or 4 million or 10 million sales. I don't see it matching iphone sales - those folks are fanatics. So, crossing fingers, I hope they are successful. But, I for one, have no update (if Verizon even offers them) until March 2014. Also, unless they improve cursor placement (edit, copy, select) over the current pb method, I will not be very interested. I can easily place the cursor where I want it with my 9930 and easily fix a typo. No such luck (might be me) with the pb's editing blue arrows!

My take - solely my take.
    12-02-12 10:46 AM

I don't give the opinions of non users much credibility. Not saying they don't have a right to their opinions just that I take them for what they are, baseless and inexperienced.
    My PlayBook and iPad.
    Thor cagey about role of PB in BB10-imageyxh.jpg
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    12-02-12 11:18 AM
    "
    But, what's it going to look like? I mean, you've got smartphones, you'll probably have a BlackBerry 10 tablet...
    Mmm.
    Is that a "yes"?
    We're thinking about it.
    "

If Heins is serious about BB10 being a mobile computing platform and not just a smartphone OS, then a tablet is a given. Not competing in a segment that your competitors are in is far worse than competing and failing.

BB10 on the PB is also a given IMO. But it won't happen right away. Right now the focus needs to be BB10 on mobile phones. Heins knows this, and this is obviously where the companies focus is.
    12-02-12 11:24 AM
    I don't post often but I need to jump in here. I'm old... read that as "I will never get used to a touch screen". But I'm not naive. I see where this is going. When keyboards go, along with my wonderful trackpad, the only reason, for me, to have a Blackberry phone will because of the bridging capabilities to my Playbook. No Playbook = no bridging = no need for a Blackberry phone. I expect that I'm very much in the minority over this.
    12-02-12 11:31 AM
    There will be BB10 tablets because there has to be. Its 2012 not 2001.
    peter9477 and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-02-12 12:21 PM
    No Playbook = no bridging = no need for a Blackberry phone. I expect that I'm very much in the minority over this.
    Right.

PlayBook is great. And when you have it, have a Blackberry mobile makes sense.

The physical keyboard is a good reason to have a blackberry mobile.

I have the chance to have a dev alpha, and I can say that it's a wow mobile. The virtual keyboard is great, the multi language support is perfect. So you can choose now a blackberry for its virtual keyboard.

The dev alpha works better than the PlayBook, the Web browser is very nice. And have the blackberry 10 os on PlayBook will transform it.

I haven't yet seen the bridge between PlayBook and bb10, but I hope that rim will continue to offer this feature.

Nicolas - PlayCloud developer
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-02-12 12:33 PM

Um... Don't assume. I'm typing this on my PlayBook. I'd love for it to get bb10, but put on business glasses. The PlayBook launch was a big mess that he's cleaning up. Someone else's mess.

Why would Thorsten pile more money into a struggling platform right now. RIMwill sell more phones with BB10 in a quarter than PlayBook have sold in 6.

Be logical
    12-02-12 01:43 PM

The dev alpha works better than the PlayBook, the Web browser is very nice. And have the blackberry 10 os on PlayBook will transform it.

I haven't yet seen the bridge between PlayBook and bb10, but I hope that rim will continue to offer this feature.

Nicolas - PlayCloud developer
    If just the browser and email gets upgraded to the BB10 versions, I will be happy. PlayBook OS 2.1 is pretty much a BB10 Lite now isn't it? Without 'peek & flow' UI
    BB Bridge might not be needed for a PB & BB10 phone, everything might sync as one, and bridge is only needed for BB7 phones.
    12-02-12 02:26 PM
37 12