Web browser - Decent browser, found it a bit faster than the ipad2's safari

Music/video player - your basic player but does the job. for someone who's not an
    audiophile the sound is decent. Video quality and the camera i find better than ipad. Easy to upload music to is as well. I have a mac and the desktop manager software easily takes care of loading the pb with my playlist (from itunes) and pictures/videos that i have

Apps - not that many apps compared to apple and android

Things that i liked:

1. the size. At almost half the ssize of the ipad2 it was easy to travel with this thing. It fits on my jacket pocket and hides easier than the bigger ipad 2. also found that typing on it was easier compared to the ipad.

2. Pairing with BB phone.
    I think if you are going to respond you should either check your facts or be more truthful to the op because having both the ipad2 and the Playbook there is NO WAY the Playbook browser is faster than the ipad2...that being said you can say the iPad cannot display flash content which is a big drawback IMO.
    02-02-12 01:19 PM
    I think if you are going to respond you should either check your facts or be more truthful to the op because having both the ipad2 and the Playbook there is NO WAY the Playbook browser is faster than the ipad2...that being said you can say the iPad cannot display flash content which is a big drawback IMO.
    Needs a little clarification. I agree that the browser on the current 1.x release versions of the OS IS a problem. It's a little buggy, and because WiFi won't connect at higher than 11Mb/s it IS a little "pokey".

HOWEVER, the OS 2.0 upgrade is coming in a matter of (several) days. In the last Developer Preview, WiFi finally started connecting at 802.11n speeds (i.e. upwards of 65Mb/s). The browser, in my experience, has been very stable, very smooth, and renders remarkably well. Current benchmarks show the PB browser in the .7111 preview to be better than just about every other mobile browser, and better than most desktops.

If anything, the 2.0 release version should be even better.
    02-02-12 01:25 PM
    I just don't get it, perhaps I'm very naive. Why would anyone want a playbook when they have a blackberry? I can do just about everything I'd need to on my 9930. Yes, the playbook would have a bigger screen, that's the only difference I get.
    02-02-12 01:41 PM
    I love my Playbook, and it's true that it doesn't have an app selection of 140k
    But I get most of what I need, and hopefully after OS 2.0 update later this month I will be completely covered.

For News:

* News360 (Great app, that aggregates more than 5000 different news sources around the web, English-speaking)
    * GeeReader (is a touch optimized Google Reader client, it is fantastic on the PlayBook, you can choose which feeds to ad, like BBC News - Business, Reuters, WSJ.com, Breaking news, USA TODAY.com, and many Tech sites and blogs like AllThingsD, BGR, Crackberry, BerryReview.com, BlackBerry Cool, BlackBerryEmpire, Gizmodo, The Verge, etc)

For File Management:

* Files & Folders (a file explorer & manager with integrated Box.net, Dropbox, Google Docs, ZIP, E-mail send feature) There are other good apps for this purpose like My File Manager or AIR Browser,

For cloud free storage:

* Box for BlackBerry PlayBook (I enjoy my free 50GB of online storage, this is great for files under 100MB)
    * BlueBox for BlackBerry PlayBook (If you like Dropbox better than Box, or you need to upload files with bigger size than 100MB, you'll love this app, and you can integrate it with your Blackberry smartphone)

For agenda planning and follow-up:

* Groovy Notes for BlackBerry PlayBook (interactive personal diary right on your PlayBook, works great for me)

For password storing and password protect:

* Remember It Password App (helps you store and organize all your important information easily and securely)
    * Password Wallet (Even though I store all my passwords on Remember It Password App, I like a lot Password Wallet to store my important websites and login credentials to sites.

For protection of sensitive files and documents:

* File Shield (protecs your sensitive documents, photos, videos and files from prying eyes, great app)

For weather tracking:

* Weather (PlayBooks native weather app powered by AccuWeather.com is my favourite)
    * WeatherEye HD (Another great weather app powered by The Weather Network, totally worth it)

For file annotation and file mark up:

* Jotsy (great app for file annotation, supports PDF format and is currently on Beta, but the app will be full released on the 15th a February) check it out,

For access to a remote desktop app:

* Splashtop Remote Desktop HD (Streams video and audio from your PC or Mac, it's great and recently a new remote control has been released, I haven't used so I really can't give my opinion on the new one, buy many people claim is better.

For note taking and recording on your PlayBook:

* Evernote (Best note-taking app)

To keep control of your Personal finances:

* Personal Finances (This app has been updated constantly, and getting better and better with every improvement, you should check it out)

For Time apps and Alarm setting:

* Today's Alarm Clock
    * FlipClock
    * Bed-Buzz

For Sports News:

* Score Mobile (Best sports app ever, not much left to say about that)
    * Goal.com (Great app for Soccer fans worldwide)
    * MLBPA (Great news app for baseball fans)

For market news:

* StockPulse
    * Stocks
    * Gold Live!
    * Currency

For social networking:

* Facebook
    * Twitter

Yes we don't have Skype, but we have our own video chat,
    Yes we don't have the Kindle app, but we have the Kobo Books app and many e-pub book readers,
    I don't have complains on the music player, but I would be nice to be able to buy songs and movies here in Mexico through my PlayBook,

and I LOVE MULTI TASKING, my PlayBook makes me happy even though I'm aware that it could still improve in many content areas.
    02-02-12 01:48 PM
    I just don't get it, perhaps I'm very naive. Why would anyone want a playbook when they have a blackberry? I can do just about everything I'd need to on my 9930. Yes, the playbook would have a bigger screen, that's the only difference I get.
    That "bigger screen" makes viewing ANYTHING easier. Web pages, e-books, photos or videos... The list goes on.

Can't play "Need For Speed" on a phone, either *

(*PS, I know how frivolous that sounds, but it speaks to the power of the device)
    thecsman likes this.
    02-02-12 01:51 PM
    Welcome to the Forum.

This being the forum for the Playbook, you would get all the experiences of people by performing a search of the topic of choice. By the way, did you get to watch the intro video?
    Anyway, with your post asking for experiences, I will assure you that you will get a wide variety of responses. Having said that, I am curious to find out what it is, specifically, you are looking for. At the end of the day, we can all tell you how it works for us but what is important is how you want/expect the Playbook to work for you.

Kindly be a little more specific as to your expectations/question.
    If you can, kindly elaborate on what you mean by wanting a more portable computer. We all have computers, but we don't all use them for the same purpose. So it would be better if we knew what you use your laptop for mainly. Also, are there non-negotiables? (i.e. very specific needs/requirements that you have in a "portable computer")

Hope to read your response, so I/we can provide more relevant information for you.

Cheers!
    Thanks for your reply. I've been reading a lot of threads on here about PB. However, a lot of the time threads are started by people who either love or hate something. I'm after some more balanced info.

My main interest in the PB would be a highly mobile Media device (mainly movies), web browsing, documents, and the odd game. I might one day use it for presentations.

I did ask some more specific questions in a later post; web browser, media player, apps.

Basically, I just want something more mobile and convenient than my laptop, and I'm getting a new BB phone in a couple of months and I was drawn to the PB mainly because of the 'bridge' concept and its high portability.

I wont get an iPad. As far as tablets go, my choice is PB or a Samsung.
    02-02-12 02:39 PM
    Sashlon, I would add my USD$.02, but you have already gotten excellent advice here.

The PB is not quite a business machine, and not quite a replacement for your laptop. But for what you want, this is the perfect tablet for you...soon to get even better.

I have two of them, and they are not at all like the iPad.
    sashlon likes this.
    02-02-12 02:54 PM
    all tablets are gonna have some good and bad about them..........just do your research and choose based on mostly what you will want and need it for........i just picked up a playbook today on sale for $199 while it's lasting for a limited time, this tablet is very good looking, also i got it to go with my curve 9360 and for the bridge feature as well as the new and upcoming 2.0 os......can't wait. but i would recommend it highly, forget what the iphoners and androiders might say, in the end, it's your decision. good luck
    02-02-12 03:02 PM
    BB for the win. If you say your getting a BB phone as well, IMO i dont see any other option. But whatever forum you go into Im sure you will get more biased info for whatever that forum is for. Do some research and decide for yourself. It certainly is a great device, and will only get better.
    02-02-12 03:11 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a newcomer here. I just got a second-hand Curve 9300 and I'm loving it. In a couple of months I'm looking to invest some money in a new phone and Tablet. For my phone I'm getting a BB (either 9810 or 9900, haven't decided). I'm very interested in the Playbook (especially it's price).

I was wondering if some people who have 1 would share some thought on it with me. I'm not a business man, and I live in Australia. I'd mainly be getting a tablet to have a more portable 'computer' (I'm sick of lugging my laptop around). I'm really intrigued by the 'bridge' concept, and I like to have stuff that is a little 'different'.

So please, fill me in on your Playbook experience/advice/info

Thanks in advance
    I just bought a PB. Arrived yesterday. The quality of its construction has no equal in the tablet world. The screen is excellent. But know before you buy that the software is a serious work in progress. The OS is wonderful: snappy, intuitive, "tight," but the lack of apps is a drag - as of today. If you like Netflix, Hulu, Slingplayer (for a Slingbox), then you may be disappointed. If you have lots of music and movies to load onto the thing and have need for some quality office solutions along with a few apps - you'll love it. If you are looking for a content consumption device like the Kindle Fire - look elsewhere.

Personally, I was really nervous about buying one but having spent some quality time yesterday getting to know the machine, and bearing in mind there is a serious OS upgrade days away, I could not be happier with my purchase. The Playbook is indeed different and has mountains of untapped potential. Hopefully that potential will start to be tapped shortly.

I will say if you have or are going to buy a Blackberry phone, a PB makes a TON of sense and now is a great time to buy.

Hope this helps.
    sashlon likes this.
    02-02-12 08:10 PM
    Thanks to everyone for your input

I'll be interested to find out what improvements/changes come with OS2.
    02-03-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks to everyone for your input

I'll be interested to find out what improvements/changes come with OS2.
    Threads get buried pretty quick once they are off the 1st page.

Here is a thread I've worked on that has a list of confirmed features. Have a look! There is also video links that jump straight to the point in the video where that featured is demonstrated to give you a better idea.

Features Thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-693566/
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-03-12 at 03:17 PM.
    sashlon likes this.
    02-03-12 03:10 PM
    It want to know the cons too.

How is the:

Web browser
    Music player
    Apps
    Android Player
    Web browser- Works great & runs fantastic. It's very quick, & it supports FLASH!!! It could use better bookmark management, Hopefully with the update this will be fixed!

Music player-- It's good. It's not iTunes, but the stereo speakers truly give the PlayBook excellent sound for a device it's size. Surprisingly good sound!

Apps--This is by far the weakest area for the Playbook. It is improving daily. There are some apps that I don't understand why RIM charges for, ie: Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, just to name a few. What most users want is to see Skype come on board. Overall, it's not great but getting better everyday. Just don't expect to see it boom to where the Apple APP store is.

Finally:

Android Player--I HAVE NO IDEA since I never side loaded it I am interested to see what is actually going to be available with the release of OS 2. I WANT FREE ANGRY BIRDS!!! & Texting for non-BBM or phone users.

I am very happy with this device. The only accessory that I am TRULY looking forward for and have already put my money aside for is the Keyboard/Case combo. It's going to complete the PlayBook experience for me!

sashlon likes this.
    02-03-12 03:21 PM
    Threads get buried pretty quick once they are off the 1st page.

Here is a thread I've worked on that has a list of confirmed features. Have a look! There is also video links that jump straight to the point in the video where that featured is demonstrated to give you a better idea.

Features Thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-693566/
    That's awesome, thanks
    02-03-12 03:21 PM
    I got a 32 playbook, and I'm loving it. If you are getting a blackberry phone you should deffinatly get the playbook. The browser is fast, but the apps are pretty sad. Apart from the apps the playbook is a really good deal.
    02-03-12 04:59 PM
    It is a great bit of kit.
    The apps seem expensive when compared to USA prices, obviously I cannot comment on Aus prices as I have not seen these. As an example I offer EA Monopoly, its �10, whereas if I remember correctly its only US$3 or 5, and Angry Birds is �4.99 v US$4.99, which is probably equivalent to �3. It may not have a million fart sound apps, but I have found whatever I have needed. I would recommend AIR Browser for your document browsing as it seems better than the onboard stuff.
    Browser is as good as my lap top. It does "checkerboard", but my lap top does need a second or two on some sites, so no great problem.
    Music player is as good as the BB handsets, speakers are excellent. Lets be honest, the only difference from an iPod is the lack of 'star ratings', but that is the same with all non-Apple devices I think. It syncs well with iTunes, which is all I need.
    I have not used Android apps on it as I don't dare root the device.
    I use mine a lot when on the train, its great for media consumption on the go as it also fits really well into a jacket or coat pocket, and on long train journeys I can easily get 8hrs of film viewing from it.
    Off thread slightly, but it renewed my faith in RIM as I have had a problem with my handset. I showed it a friend and he was blown away with how good it was. I would recommend it, but I have not used an iPad, although from what I have heard, a large number of people prefer the PB when they have tried it v an iPad.
    02-03-12 05:21 PM
    Thank you to everybody who answered in this forum. Although I was not the one who posted this question, I know I was going to ask the same question and I'm glad I found this one first. I must say you have all convinced me to buy the Playbook compared to all the other tablets available in the market today. I already have a Blackberry phone, and the Bridge option is a very attractive feature for me. I am extremely excited to pick up my Playbook before OS 2 is released and I can get it at a cheaper price.
    02-03-12 07:17 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a newcomer here. I just got a second-hand Curve 9300 and I'm loving it. In a couple of months I'm looking to invest some money in a new phone and Tablet. For my phone I'm getting a BB (either 9810 or 9900, haven't decided). I'm very interested in the Playbook (especially it's price).

I was wondering if some people who have 1 would share some thought on it with me. I'm not a business man, and I live in Australia. I'd mainly be getting a tablet to have a more portable 'computer' (I'm sick of lugging my laptop around). I'm really intrigued by the 'bridge' concept, and I like to have stuff that is a little 'different'.

So please, fill me in on your Playbook experience/advice/info

Thanks in advance
    Welcome,
    You have come to the right place!
    I know that bridge with a BB7 phone is the best!
    You have made the right choice!
    I almost know you will not regret your decision.
    Hope you enjoy your 'future' PlayBook!
    02-03-12 07:21 PM
    PB excitement wearing off. Maybe it was the newness, annoyance at Shopblackberry incompetence, RIM's indifference in lack of providing an email app, or the tiny screen. But I fired up the iPad the other night and realize why it's the flagship of tablets.
    02-03-12 09:12 PM
    PB excitement wearing off. Maybe it was the newness, annoyance at Shopblackberry incompetence, RIM's indifference in lack of providing an email app, or the tiny screen. But I fired up the iPad the other night and realize why it's the flagship of tablets.
    blah blah blah,

have fun with your pad, have fun with your home button
    02-03-12 10:01 PM
    blah blah blah,

have fun with your pad, have fun with your home button
    LOL. I'm not offended and take that as well intended. I tried to like PB better, and it is pretty good. But it's just not quite there yet as iPad is (to me anyway).
    02-03-12 10:23 PM
    web browser is great, as close as you can get to desktop functionality.
    the music player is decent, not too flashy but gets the job done.
    apps are not bad, the main complaint is that there are not many, however there are over 400,000 apps for apple and android, way too much in my opinion.
    then again OS2.0 will attract more developers and so will the new playbook, and ultimately the BB10 phones, so apps shouldn't be too much concern

great user interface with the swivels, great size ( for typing and for portability)

i think it comes down to this : if your getting a BB, get the playbook, the other tablets will either not do bridge functionality or will cost you another data plan

and id go for the 9810 personally, it leaves you less jealous about larger touch screens on other phones and it still has the keyboard.
    02-03-12 10:53 PM
    I will be 100% honest with you.

This is a PRO blackberry site... so anything you hear must be taken with that in mind.
    I would not want you to spend your money based on all the great things we say if you dont at least take into consideration that we ALL LOVE our PBs.

With that said, i will also mention that i own an iPhone 4 bc at the time it was the better choice and i am very stingy on how i spend my money. with THAT said... i just bought my 4th 32GB playbook (1 for me and 3 for family) and have also told at least 5 other people to buy playbooks. I honestly believe that right now the playbook is the best tablet on the market, with NO exceptions. I wont go into details bc im sure everyone else already mentioned them... but do your own research.

Look at the positive and negative reviews, even though most of the negative reviews are just not accurate, and make your choice. It is YOUR money, I would buy another one without question, but it is your choice
    02-03-12 11:24 PM
    Tempting, but I wont have the $$ for a couple of months, and I want a 64gb. I'm a bit greedy when it comes to storage lol
    Words of wisdom I only wish I had followed myself. I purchased my PB 16GB as soon as they dropped the price just below that of a used car! I have tinkered and "test drove" most of the tablets out there and this one (other than its storage capacity) confirms what I had thought ... This little piece of hardware smokes them! Bridging it with my torch and I have the best of both worlds. Of course, you will find a hater or troll that will claim the PB is a POS and you should buy brand X. The ONLY way I would trade mine, is for another PB with a larger amount of storage.
    02-03-12 11:24 PM
    a playbook is like a $5 footlong every day lol
    02-03-12 11:27 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD