Hi all,

I'm a newcomer here. I just got a second-hand Curve 9300 and I'm loving it. In a couple of months I'm looking to invest some money in a new phone and Tablet. For my phone I'm getting a BB (either 9810 or 9900, haven't decided). I'm very interested in the Playbook (especially it's price).

I was wondering if some people who have 1 would share some thought on it with me. I'm not a business man, and I live in Australia. I'd mainly be getting a tablet to have a more portable 'computer' (I'm sick of lugging my laptop around). I'm really intrigued by the 'bridge' concept, and I like to have stuff that is a little 'different'.

So please, fill me in on your Playbook experience/advice/info

Thanks in advance
    02-02-12 12:50 AM
    Welcome, friend.
    There's plenty of opinions around here.
    Seems like it's a "love it or hate it" deal.

Personally, I think it's an awesome device. My husband, mr. "why did you buy that thing and what do you need it for" couldn't put it down last night when I showed him "million dollar baby" on it. Even though we have the movie, and a large tv screen, he preferred to put his game on hold, to watch my little PB.

Show me the money!!
    sashlon likes this.
    02-02-12 12:56 AM
    Well, posting on a BB site, you're going to get a lot of partisan opinions...

Including this one The Playbook is already a pretty good device, and given the sale prices, it's a screaming deal. Excellent user interface, and even in its current state the "Blackberry Bridge" works very well for browsing messages, calendar, and tasks off the phone.

With the updates that are coming in the next couple of weeks, it's going to be an absolutely dynamite device. One thing I can say, with confidence (since I've got the latest developer preview loaded on mine), is that the Playbook will have absolutely the BEST mobile browsing experience.

Oh, and I'll also say that I've used my laptop a LOT less...
    sashlon, cdelcampo216 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-12 01:27 AM
    Well, posting on a BB site, you're going to get a lot of partisan opinions...
    lol True, but this is where the users are
    02-02-12 01:31 AM
    It want to know the cons too.

How is the:

Web browser
    Music player
    Apps
    Android Player
    02-02-12 01:34 AM
    What do you imagine yourself using it for most times? Is there anything you absolutely need?
    Answers to these questions would help weed out opinions and focus more on facts.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-02-12 01:37 AM
    l love my playbook I rarely use my sony netbook computer i can use my playbook and i take it with me everywhere I go ,I use my BB torch 9850 /Playbook blackberry bridge and I always have internet using my phone ...get one you will be happy and its a great tablet...
    02-02-12 01:39 AM
    What do you imagine yourself using it for most times? Is there anything you absolutely need?
    Answers to these questions would help weed out opinions and focus more on facts.
    Mainly a mobile web device. Documents. Media storage (probably mainly video), some games and maybe presentations.
    02-02-12 01:43 AM
    i have a blackberry curve (got it just over a year ago) and i wanted a tablet. But i didn't have a large budget. i wanted a Motorooa xoom 3g but they were about �350 in the UK and i couldn't justify it. So, when i saw that the blackberry playbook was �169 in the UK i took the plunge and got one. l have had it a few weeks, what do i think?

i think overall it is a brilliant piece of kit.

i wondered if 7" screen would be too small. in fact the resolution is very good (and better than many others). the size is great as i actually do carry it about with me (about the size of an A5 notebook)

The hardware quality is very high with a good spec on the processor, screen etc

The size of the touchscreen keyboard is good and better than many

The swipe system and multi-tasking is very good, having multiple applications open.

The camera is a good one for quick photos.

The playbook is light and easy to carry about.

Problems?

The connection to the internet via the curve is no better than the curve's internet access (which for me can be slow and intermittent)

There are fewer apps on the playbook at the moment (but we are all hoping for more soon). Each person has different areas they want - i want adobe photoshop.

I currently can't get a bluetooth keyboard to connect to it properly.

so, would i buy it again if i had another chance? Definitely. I am hopeful that apps and bluetooth will improve after os2 release next month and i strongly suspect that the price will go back up after it comes out!!
    Lhendr and sashlon like this.
    02-02-12 01:45 AM

How is the:

Web browser
    Music player
    Apps
    Android Player
    Web browser- Best of any tablet out there.
    Music Player- Basic functional player. No frills
    Apps- Not nearly as many as some other platforms but some quality apps are out there.
    Android Player- TBD The next OS is to be released this month with the android player built in. Those of using the beta software can see app world being populated with more android apps everday. As far as what apps will be available I don't think anyone can say. The quote was 1000's of apps.

As a non-business casual user with a BB phone the PB just can't be beat. My opinion of course.
    Lhendr, sashlon and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-12 01:47 AM

How is the:

Web browser
    Music player
    Apps
    Android Player
    Web browser--as I said before, with the coming update, fantastic. Quick, good rendering, FLASH... could use some better bookmark management

Music player--good. 7digital runs the Music Store, and it's pretty good, but I'm not sure if it's available in Australia. Stereo speakers give the PB excellent sound for such a device.

Apps--the weak point. But way better than at the start, and improving daily. Skype is the one we want most... keeping fingers crossed. Overall, not great but getting better.

Android Player--Surprisingly good. Many apps work quite well. Lots of cheap crap, too, but it's one way to improve selection. I'll be interested to see which other ones become available in the coming months.
    sashlon likes this.
    02-02-12 01:49 AM
    browser is fast.
    native music player is fine with me but some are complaining.
    apps are available but not as many as iOS and android but what you basically need would be there.
    android i think is coming with OS2.
    sashlon likes this.
    02-02-12 01:51 AM
    I love the PlayBook. The music player doesn't have any tone controls though. Certainly not a deal breaker.

You should by the 32GB I have for sale in Marketplace and save some mone :-)
    02-02-12 03:02 AM
    As a dedicated Mac user I thought that the only tablet worth buying was an iPad - I was WRONG! I've used and iPad and it is very good, lots of apps etc ..... but the PB is a much better machine - well built, true multitasking, slick touch gestures, amazing screen and the price at the moment can't be beaten. Okay, there are far fewer apps but I don't play games on mine and I've got all the apps I need.
    I love my Macs (desktop + 2 laptops) - but the PB is a superb machine.
    02-02-12 04:05 AM
    You should by the 32GB I have for sale in Marketplace and save some mone :-)
    Tempting, but I wont have the $$ for a couple of months, and I want a 64gb. I'm a bit greedy when it comes to storage lol
    chealyjazz and Harley Kid like this.
    02-02-12 04:11 AM
    you should get one as soon as possible as we all anticipate a price increase after OS 2.
    02-02-12 05:38 AM
    I currently can't get a bluetooth keyboard to connect to it properly.
    Obviously you are trying the wrong Bluetooth keyboards. Are you looking for a mini-keyboard or a closer to full-size keyboard?
    02-02-12 05:40 AM
    Man, check out the deal that Optus is running at the moment on their $49 plan. You get a 9860 PLUS a Playbook thrown in for free!

That is good value.
    02-02-12 05:48 AM
    Obviously you are trying the wrong Bluetooth keyboards. Are you looking for a mini-keyboard or a closer to full-size keyboard?
    Yes, I'm going to second that. I've been able to pair mine with a couple of different keyboards with no problem.
    02-02-12 09:34 AM
    I'm gonna try and give you the most unbiased opinion I can. I own both an iPad and the PlayBook.

With the current sales going on, the PlayBook is a better deal. I bought the PlayBook at full price and actually am happy I spend my money on that than an iPad (I was given an iPad a few weeks later as a gift). I use the PlayBook about 3 to 1 over the iPad because it is more comfortable to use.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. I never use email on the iPad, so for me that has nothing to do with my opinion, plus the PB will have a better email experience in a couple weeks (based on videos and reviews I've seen). I know my opinion isn't exactly helping you decide, but I wanted to let you know that you won't be wrong either way you go here. Both tablets are very nice and each has their own advantages. As a BlackBerry owner, the bridge may be the deciding factor for you, and for good reason.

Figure out your budget ($499 vs $250ish). Also, decide if you need it NOW or if it can wait a month or two. The new iPad is rumored and expected to be released next month. That will either give you a better option for the same price, or give you the same option (iPad 2) for an even cheaper price. The PlayBook is most likely in the same boat, but probably to a lesser extent. The 1.5ghz processor as opposed to the 1.0 won't be a dramatic difference, but the price may reflect the difference. Ask yourself is owning a tablet today( vs a month or two from now) worth an extra $100-$150?
    02-02-12 10:11 AM
    It also depends on portability! Are you wanting to take your tablet with you quite a bit? I use my tablets on the road every day so. I have had both ipad and now own the playbook and honestly you get sick of the size of the ipad! The playbook is just so much easier to take around... That's my own personal opinion but it's true. If you use it a lot at home and for movies like yousaid ipad could be better. You won't be disappointed at all though if you go with the playbook..

Enjoy whatever I get and let us know your thoughts.
    Snap51 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:28 AM
    With stores have VERY excellent return policies, I would suggest buying one and if it doesnt fill your needs simply return/exchange it for another brand.

It is a great device. Compact yet not to small. Adding a wireless keyboard makes it very funtional and with all the improvments coming in os2.0 its will only get better.
    02-02-12 10:33 AM
    Web browser - Decent browser, found it a bit faster than the ipad2's safari

Music/video player - your basic player but does the job. for someone who's not an
    audiophile the sound is decent. Video quality and the camera i find better than ipad. Easy to upload music to is as well. I have a mac and the desktop manager software easily takes care of loading the pb with my playlist (from itunes) and pictures/videos that i have

Apps - not that many apps compared to apple and android

Things that i liked:

1. the size. At almost half the ssize of the ipad2 it was easy to travel with this thing. It fits on my jacket pocket and hides easier than the bigger ipad 2. also found that typing on it was easier compared to the ipad.

2. Pairing with BB phone.
    Last edited by faceless_el; 02-02-12 at 12:53 PM.
    02-02-12 12:50 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a newcomer here. I just got a second-hand Curve 9300 and I'm loving it. In a couple of months I'm looking to invest some money in a new phone and Tablet. For my phone I'm getting a BB (either 9810 or 9900, haven't decided). I'm very interested in the Playbook (especially it's price).

I was wondering if some people who have 1 would share some thought on it with me. I'm not a business man, and I live in Australia. I'd mainly be getting a tablet to have a more portable 'computer' (I'm sick of lugging my laptop around). I'm really intrigued by the 'bridge' concept, and I like to have stuff that is a little 'different'.

So please, fill me in on your Playbook experience/advice/info

Thanks in advance
    Welcome to the Forum.

This being the forum for the Playbook, you would get all the experiences of people by performing a search of the topic of choice. By the way, did you get to watch the intro video?
    Anyway, with your post asking for experiences, I will assure you that you will get a wide variety of responses. Having said that, I am curious to find out what it is, specifically, you are looking for. At the end of the day, we can all tell you how it works for us but what is important is how you want/expect the Playbook to work for you.

Kindly be a little more specific as to your expectations/question.
    If you can, kindly elaborate on what you mean by wanting a more portable computer. We all have computers, but we don't all use them for the same purpose. So it would be better if we knew what you use your laptop for mainly. Also, are there non-negotiables? (i.e. very specific needs/requirements that you have in a "portable computer")

Hope to read your response, so I/we can provide more relevant information for you.

Cheers!
    02-02-12 01:08 PM

How is the:

Web browser
    Music player
    Apps
    Android Player
    Web browser crashes quite often, wifi connection is very pokey, app selection extremely poor, other than that it's ok. It is an ok device if you use your BB with it because it doesn't drain your BB's battery very much when you bridge to it but if you don't use BB with it I'd rather get a Jesus pad.

PS: my wifi connection seemed to have gotten more pokey with each "official" Update - it use to work fine on the original o/s but I can't seem to revert back to that one.
    02-02-12 01:11 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD