I was thinking of buying a kindle e-reader, then wondered if I would get more functionality out of tablet. I do have the kindle app on my Bold, but it's a pretty tiny screen!

I don't play games anymore, wondering what exactly the PlayBook can do, other than browsing web, playing media, and email. What do you use it for? I browsed a bit for a similar thread to answer my question, but didn't easily find one.

I'm thinking I might utilize something like an iPad, but I just can't do Apple...

How can I tell the difference between the different generations of PB when shopping?
    09-22-12 01:16 PM
    Other than amount of storage (16, 32, 64GB), all PlayBooks are the same. The PlayBook is my most used tablet, and I own a bunch of Android tablets and an Ipad 3. The PlayBook at their current prices are the greatest bargain by far in the tablet market. Do not hesitate to buy one.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    09-22-12 01:26 PM
    You can try typing "convince playbook" or "consider playbook" in the search and you will be able to read some reasons to or not to buy a Playbook.
    09-22-12 01:26 PM
    If you over think you are doomed. Just do it! the PB is great for a lot of things and I use mine almost 24/7. I have the OEM mini keyboard too and this combo along with the excellent bridge feature is totally a winner in *MY* book.
    You can read up on the PB and mini keyboard below..
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-22-12 01:29 PM
    My PlayBook can be yours for $50. Purchased 8/01/2012 / 16gb. I just don't use it.
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-22-12 01:35 PM
    My PlayBook can be yours for $50. Purchased 8/01/2012 / 16gb. I just don't use it.
    Put it up in the Market Place, and we can talk about it..

http://forums.crackberry.com/marketplace-f14/
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-22-12 01:38 PM
    PM me and we can talk
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-22-12 01:45 PM
    My 74 year old mother-in-law loves her new playbook.

She has never even had an email acount and is new to all of this, her favorite thing to do is look at photo's on her familys facebook accounts. She also enjoys reading books on it, listen to music over the dual front facing stereo.

HershL ..... You think that you will not use it for games but let me tell you KID's of all ages love games, my Mom-in-law was into "those mad birds" (angry birds) but since she tried Chimpact I believe thats her favorite now.

When I bought my first PlayBook I had no plans on even keeping it, I was going to play with it and then sell in on Ebay.

Well now I have 2 and would never give them up.

Your doing the correct thing and asking questions before you buy but at the current price point I don't think anyone could go wrong in purchasing one.

Hgouck, jafobabe, DC506 and 1 others like this.
    09-22-12 01:48 PM
    PM me and we can talk
    LOL ME first!
    09-22-12 01:54 PM
    I've had PB since release. Cannot go a day without it. First thing in the morning uses PB to check the weather, especially that school is back in session. And of course the emails. This is when bridge makes me love PB even more. Just a week ago finally bought my 13 yr old daughter the ipad 3 she has been longing for. I have no idea how to navigate his thing. I swipe and swipe to wake it. She said "no, you have to use the home button ". My response, a simple "oh". I guess to each their own. I am so used to my PB and my daughter to hers
    esk369 likes this.
    09-22-12 02:15 PM
    Read the threads here. If the Playbook will do what you need it to do, it is a great value and very well built. If it won't, I would wait for the small iPad, even if you don't want an iPad, it will cause other tablet manufacturers to react.
    09-22-12 03:32 PM
    Here is a good thread with the info you are looking for....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-737936/
    09-22-12 03:40 PM
    Well, I'm a huge fan of the playbook but I would say for you to get the kindle. I have had both a playbook and an e reader and a tablet certainly works as an e reader, but it's better used as a stand in as opposed to long term e reader. The comparison would be like reading on your computer to reading a book. The refresh rate on a computer/tablet can make your eyes tired which can lead to a head ache from straining your eyes. An e reader that uses e ink has no refresh rate so is much easier to read for long periods of time.
    The best thing you can do is to stop by a staples or something to do a direct comparison.
    I accidentally broke my e reader and I want another one cause my playbook just doesn't cut it for long periods of time.
    09-22-12 04:55 PM
    I've had PB since release. Cannot go a day without it. First thing in the morning uses PB to check the weather, especially that school is back in session. And of course the emails. This is when bridge makes me love PB even more. Just a week ago finally bought my 13 yr old daughter the ipad 3 she has been longing for. I have no idea how to navigate his thing. I swipe and swipe to wake it. She said "no, you have to use the home button ". My response, a simple "oh". I guess to each their own. I am so used to my PB and my daughter to hers
    Lol! I can so relate. My granddaughter thinks it's hilarious that I keep trying to swipe her iPhone & iPad to wake them up. As for me, I don't need no stinkin' button.
    jafobabe and Manic99 like this.
    09-22-12 05:23 PM
    Thing is you can get that ereader or you can get the PlayBook. PlayBook has tons of books quickly becoming availabl on it but then you can do so much more. In addition to games I also check the weather, I use the Crackberry app, I use those coupon apps like groupon, internet, email, with bridge when I am home I use BBM, I watch videos, etc.

And I got it cheap. Cheaper than some ereaders.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    esk369 likes this.
    09-22-12 05:28 PM
    I pretty much use it for everything (watching movies/series/YouTube videos, reading, playing music, writing.. etc)
    09-22-12 06:42 PM
    Save your time and get a Nook to use for reading it can't be beat. Other than that one issue PlayBook is very nice for everything else unless you need an app to do everything.
    09-22-12 07:03 PM
    The playbook hardware is awesome, price is awesome, just be prepared to see the message "sorry, your device is not supported".

This device was rolled out with some AMAZING potential, im just still kinda waiting for it to all be realized.
    09-23-12 10:00 AM
    I was thinking of buying a kindle e-reader, then wondered if I would get more functionality out of tablet. I do have the kindle app on my Bold, but it's a pretty tiny screen!

I don't play games anymore, wondering what exactly the PlayBook can do, other than browsing web, playing media, and email. What do you use it for? I browsed a bit for a similar thread to answer my question, but didn't easily find one.

I'm thinking I might utilize something like an iPad, but I just can't do Apple...

How can I tell the difference between the different generations of PB when shopping?
    The only disadvantage of playbook being an ereader is it's heavier. But think of the muscles you build while reading dozens of book.
    09-23-12 11:32 AM
    I get a lot of use out of my nexus 7 but the truth is if I am reading for pleasure, I turn it off and use my kindle - to my mind no tablet reading app is as easy on the eyes as a dedicated ereader - even more so now the kindle paper white is coming out.
    09-23-12 11:39 AM
    Thanks everyone.

I'm convinced the eReader is the best for reading a book, but the playbook sounds so cool, and I found. 64GB one today @ Office Depot for $220, so, until summer comes and I have more reading time, I will bond with my new Plabook

Now all I have to do is figure out what my WiFi password is, can't remember!

If I end up getting a new BBphone with the new operating system, will it work with the PB?
    DC506 likes this.
    10-09-12 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD