I just picked up a Q10 and want a tablet. I am a Verizon customer and don't have mobile hotspot on my account. I was planning on disabling Verizons wifi hotspot block on my Q10 via the engineering screens and buying a tablet. I was thinking a iPad mini or Nexus 7. The only thing I want to do with the tablet is for mobile internet surfing. How well does bridge work with BB10 and a Q10, and how good is the browser on the Playbook. One really important question, does the browser have reader mode like the BB10 browser? Does it freeze and pause or is it glitchy and buggy?
    03-03-14 11:35 AM
    Man, just forget the PlayBook. It's so long in the tooth now it's not even really worth it unless you can grab one for like $25. There is nice Android tablets out there for $150 get one of them. If you get a PlayBook, you'll just end up wishing you had of gotten something else and there's already enough bitter PlayBook owners out there, no need to add your name to the mix. Just being dead honest with you, it'll be fun for 3 days.
    howarmat, q649 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-03-14 11:45 AM
    There is a little use from the BB Playbook, but the usability is slowly declining as time goes on. Yes, the browser is flash based, but is slow, and the flash version is old, so some websites are just saying the playbook's version is too old. Expect no more system updates. Expect no more/limited app updates. If it meets your needs, and you find it at a good price, then by all means, go for it. I still use mine almost daily, but it's starting to get long in the teeth. Yes, the ability to send/receive BBM/text messages over the bridge connection is a nice feature, but that's about where bridge stops being super usefull. (other than being able to use your phone as a remote control of your playbook)
    03-03-14 11:58 AM
    Man, just forget the PlayBook. It's so long in the tooth now it's not even really worth it unless you can grab one for like $25. There is nice Android tablets out there for $150 get one of them. If you get a PlayBook, you'll just end up wishing you had of gotten something else and there's already enough bitter PlayBook owners out there, no need to add your name to the mix. Just being dead honest with you, it'll be fun for 3 days.
    Plus 1
    03-03-14 12:04 PM
    Have to agree on the PlayBook avoidance. I had my trusty Pearl 3G and PlayBook combo, then BB9320 and PlayBook combo. Was super happy with those combinations.
    But now that i've had the Q10 for over a week, I have to admit that I never realized how slow the PlayBook is. The UI on Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1925 just spoiled me. I love the PlayBook, but it's obviously pretty much had it's best days behind it.
    Am thinking about that Dell Venue Pro 8.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jope28; 03-03-14 at 12:27 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:10 PM
    Thank you for the advice, I guess playing in the engineering screens is where I am headed. I will have to look at the Nexus 7 and see what I think.
    03-03-14 12:27 PM
    Thank you for the advice, I guess playing in the engineering screens is where I am headed. I will have to look at the Nexus 7 and see what I think.
    Ive got a brand new PB super cheap and I think it is worth the money!!
    It works good with my Q10. HDMI is great, Videos, Music...everything works fine!
    You cant buy any other lag free tablet than a PlayBook (for that money)! Android tablets are much worse(quality, specs..) for the money you have to pay to get a PB.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    03-03-14 12:35 PM
    Ive got a brand new PB super cheap and I think it is worth the money!!
    It works good with my Q10. HDMI is great, Videos, Music...everything works fine!
    You cant buy any other lag free tablet than a PlayBook for that money! Android tablets are much worse for the money you have to pay to get a PB.
    The pb is far from lag free but if the OP just wants free surfing from a larger screen at no extra cost depending on the carrier bridge will do that but the OP must realize it might be much slower than they may like to put up with.
    03-03-14 12:48 PM
    BBRY has actually been upgrading bridge to work better with the PB, so it is not totally forgotten. Maybe Q10Bold can elaborate more on that. Sure the PB is dual core and most android tabs are quad core. There is bound to be a little difference but for browsing I am totally satisfied with the PB. Right now, I think it is the best MOBILE desktop browsing experience you can get outside of a Windows 8 Pro tablet. I have a Nexus 7 2012 updated to KitKat and the only flash browser I can get to work is Puffin. That runs flash off servers so the speed is quite slow. Now the apps situation is another story but I have found most of the ones I need/want. Build and sound quality is exceptional.
    mh1983 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:56 PM
    BBRY has actually been upgrading bridge to work better with the PB, so it is not totally forgotten. Maybe Q10Bold can elaborate more on that. Sure the PB is dual core and most android tabs are quad core. There is bound to be a little difference but for browsing I am totally satisfied with the PB. Right now, I think it is the best MOBILE desktop browsing experience you can get outside of a Windows 8 Pro tablet. I have a Nexus 7 2012 updated to KitKat and the only flash browser I can get to work is Puffin. That runs flash off servers so the speed is quite slow. Now the apps situation is another story but I have found most of the ones I need/want. Build and sound quality is exceptional.
    Sorry but I have a Toshiba Encore win 8.1 tablet and the browsing speed blows my pb away. In fact I was charging my Toshiba and was using my pb and it only took seconds to realize why I retired it. I can't stand to browse on it. Maybe others have much more patience than I do.
    03-03-14 01:11 PM
    Sorry but I have a Toshiba Encore win 8.1 tablet and the browsing speed blows my pb away. In fact I was charging my Toshiba and was using my pb and it only took seconds to realize why I retired it. I can't stand to browse on it. Maybe others have much more patience than I do.
    I can't decide between that Toshiba or the Dell. The HDMI is making lean towards Toshiba though.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-03-14 01:16 PM
    Well, we need to compare apples and oranges. PB can't compete with that Toshiba, hardware or pricewise. It is more a mini-laptop. We are talking <$200 tablets, more closer to $150. LOL.
    03-03-14 01:27 PM
    Playbook is great, but make sure you divest yourself of that stupid "apps" culture and adjust to using web sites again, like we did before the "app" buzzword was created.
    03-03-14 01:39 PM
    I have a playbook right now from at least 1.5 years ago.

It's not worth it unless you can get one for sub 100. I am looking at getting an iPad mini simply due to the apps and form factor. Not really a fan of the android os and tablets.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 01:52 PM
    Not worth it at any price. Get a Nexus 7 or off-brand Android tablet instead.
    03-03-14 02:35 PM
    I owned a PB for about 2 years now and rarely use it anymore except to listen to some music (I love its speaker). For me, it's better to get a Nexus 7 (2013).
    03-03-14 02:41 PM
    Just got rid of mine for a Samsung Note 8: GREAT move ...
    03-03-14 02:52 PM
    Whoa! Whoa! Different strokes for different folks ! Stop telling half the story! I Love my pb in fact I got a 64g for a $100 and I took it because a 64g memory card is almost the same price and I can surf the web play music take pics and do so much and when I pair it with my Q10 running 10.2.1 with updated bridge its fascinating just last night I was surfing the web on bridge through the Origami browser and it was pretty good just like a desktop I couldn't tell the difference you can check and send emails etc . Playbook still rocks ! Come on John Chen one last big PB update1
    03-03-14 02:54 PM
    Well, we need to compare apples and oranges. PB can't compete with that Toshiba, hardware or pricewise. It is more a mini-laptop. We are talking <$200 tablets, more closer to $150. LOL.
    Well then. Lets compare in 3 years when the Toshiba will be selling for that lol. I paid less for it than I did my pb but there is no reason the browser is so slow other than BBRY doing nothing for it.
    03-03-14 03:01 PM
    Getting the regular wifi PB version is a bit slow on browsing . If you really do decide to get a PB, get the LTE version, You get a little faster browser. Though the pricetag on it may not be worth it. I got one for $150 on Amazon and im using mine with the LTE speed. I would recommend a better Tablet for the price, but im quite happy with my purchase. I use it for browsing and music.
    03-03-14 03:05 PM
    Love my PB had it since the expensive beginning.

The browser on Bridge is slow by todays standards but oin WiFi its cool. I love the HDMI out. We use it for movies in remote hotes when we travel.
    Love the UI.
    I do understand the nay sayers point of view but.....

If you can get it cheap.........Just do it.
    03-03-14 03:11 PM
    You get alot of negative PlayBook stuff spilling out on these forums sometimes as most feel let down with the promise of BB10 on the PlayBook that never materialised..

But it's still a decent tablet. With great stable OS, Screen and Speakers. If you invest some time setting it up and installing the top 5-10 Apps from BlackBerry World you will have a good productivity Device as well! Good for Multitasking. The choice is yours!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-03-14 04:03 PM
    You get alot of negative PlayBook stuff spilling out on these forums sometimes as most feel let down with the promise of BB10 on the PlayBook that never materialised..

But it's still a decent tablet. With great stable OS, Screen and Speakers. If you invest some time setting it up and installing the top 5-10 Apps from BlackBerry World you will have a good productivity Device as well! Good for Multitasking. The choice is yours!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    Yeah, it's OK but for browsing it's not very good unless you turn everything off or use mobile sites. If browsing were the main reason to have it I would say no. For the things you listed it does alright with.
    03-03-14 05:47 PM
    I've got two PlayBooks (my expensive original, and a very cheap backup that I picked up for c100) and it is still an excellent sidekick for my Q10 (bridged) - it all depends what you want to use a tablet for...

On a daily basis I use my PlayBook for reviewing PDF's & Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and (limited) browsing and I still think it is a brilliant tablet. And for playing a Scrabble type game if I commute on the train.... The browsing is not as fast as on my Q10 but certainly not horrendous. I did a backup, security wipe, and restore on my main PlayBook last summer as it was getting a bit laggy - 8 months later it's still super responsive

I used to have an iPad and an iPad Mini (it was a work thing) and I absolutely hated the lack of IOS multi-tasking - don't have any recent Android Tablet experience so can't comment on them

A friend in the US picked up a new boxed PlayBook for c.$100 last summer (think it had previously been an unwanted gift and had just sat in someone's cupboard for a year), but she had to search hard to find it - not sure if there are many new PlayBooks still out there

Hope this helps
    03-03-14 11:44 PM