I have a z10 and I thinking of buying a PlayBook since you can do many things if you pair PlayBook with another BlackBerry device.

As far as I know, PlayBook is the only one like this that you can do more if you pair it with another device. Lumia phones and lumia tablet doesn't work this way. Ipad and iPhone too. And of course those Samsung devices.

So what can I do with PlayBook as stand alone and what I can do with it pairing it with my z10?

Is it still worth buying?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 04:42 PM
    Don't unless you will use it as a chopping board or something. Other than that, don't buy it
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    12-02-13 04:50 PM
    I have a z10 and I thinking of buying a PlayBook since you can do many things if you pair PlayBook with another BlackBerry device.

As far as I know, PlayBook is the only one like this that you can do more if you pair it with another device. Lumia phones and lumia tablet doesn't work this way. Ipad and iPhone too. And of course those Samsung devices.

So what can I do with PlayBook as stand alone and what I can do with it pairing it with my z10?

Is it still worth buying?

Posted via CB10
    First of all, the PlayBook is a 2011 release, but was designed sometime around 2009-2010. Here's the spec sheet (you'll understand once you see the specs).

The PlayBook works like ANY OTHER tablet out there. There is no "what can it do on its own". The only issue you may have is not finding the apps you need. This is not going to become any better as the PlayBook is EOL and won't get BB10.

Next topic: What can it do Bridged to a Z10.

Bridge features:
    • Internet sharing - it will use your Z10's data plan over a bluetooth connection (but remember you could just set the Z10 as a mobile hotspot so this feature is not particularly special);
    • Remote control - you can use your Z10 to operate the PlayBook over bluetooth (you even get to see a mouse pointer on the PB's screen);
    • Remove keyboard - you can use the Z10's keyboard to type on the PlayBook;
    • BBM - You can access BBM chats to individuals (Groups not supported. Channels not supported. Updates not supported) from your phone on your PB;
    • SMS - same as BBM, you can read/reply to SMS on the PlyaBook;
    • File access - you can open files from your Z10 on your PlayBook;
    • Open on - you can tell your Z10 to open stuff on the PlayBook (I really mean stuff - from links to files);

For more of my honest input on the PlayBook, you can check here: http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...5/#post9588631

Don't unless you will use it as a chopping board or something. Other than that, don't buy it
    Thinking of buying PlayBook-facepalm1.jpg

If you were trying to be funny, I'm sorry to let you know you did not manage to achieve such goal.
    Bigsigh08, AWB70, kbz1960 and 3 others like this.
    12-02-13 04:54 PM
    Regarding BBM channels, now that Blackberry has a desktop site you can edit your own channels via the browser:thumbup:
    Also worth noting that although The Playbook is eol, we think anyway Doesn't mean that bridge will not see future improvements. The problem with bridge is that BB10 phones weren't enabled but more features are coming back gradually it would seem.
    If you want a bigger screen and don't do lots of crapps there's nothing wrong with a pb and they're are a bargain 2nd hand at the minute because all the tech sheep have to have the next thing for bragging rights and are giving them away.

I have a Z10 and still prefer to do my surfing and work on the Playbook when sitting in the house. Even with the bigger screen of the z its still a bit heavy on the thumbs and eyes. I reckon a Q and playbook would be a pretty neat combination with the best of both worlds.
    Playbook, when used often enough you'll notice feels a bit like the a bb10 beta, more like bb10 than bbos anyway.
    12-03-13 04:25 PM
    Check out this thread if you haven't already done so

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-872108/
    12-05-13 07:22 AM
    Go ahead and buy a PlayBook, you won't regret it
    12-05-13 07:37 AM
    Ironically Thor has done us all a favour by his zany idea that tablets don't have a future. You can now pick them up dirt cheap and get a z10 just as cheap to go with it!
    No need for phone insurance, you can just get another.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 10:05 AM
    I bought mine a few weeks ago, the 64gb for 90 euro.
    Didnt expect much, but i like the way how the software works.
    When you open a few apps, you can swipe from one to the other without closing them.
    Never seen that on my Android.
    The apps are poorly, just a few in BBworld.
    And now i like the challenge to do more with my Playbook then my Asus Infinity TF700.
    12-05-13 10:19 AM
    When you open a few apps, you can swipe from one to the other without closing them.
    And now i like the challenge to do more with my Playbook then my Asus Infinity TF700.
    I bought mine too few weeks ago the 64gb version. I like how you can upload or attach any file in the browser or email client like Android. I love the HD video recording and the ability to upload it to youtube from the browser. It is however, very slow compare to my Android phone but for basic Web, email and video use is pretty good.
    12-05-13 12:51 PM

The Air browser is about the only 'must have' app and it's an Android port. (Maybe Origami browser as well but not as good as many have said and no longer being updated.)

But the BlackBerry Bridge features are priceless.

You'll see that the browser supports Flash. Does your Android device do that?
    12-05-13 03:06 PM
    DON'T buy one right now! The Playbook OS is stuck at beta-testing state! I love the hardware of the playbook but you can't do much with the Playbook OS. Its not pleasant to use! Apps don't get updates at all and Facebook app doesn't even work properly.
    If its $50 then maybe YES.
    12-05-13 05:18 PM
    DON'T buy one right now! The Playbook OS is stuck at beta-testing state! I love the hardware of the playbook but you can't do much with the Playbook OS. Its not pleasant to use! Apps don't get updates at all and Facebook app doesn't even work properly.
    If its $50 then maybe YES.
    I agree that the playbook is an old hardware and outdated OS, I disagree with you that you can't do much with the playbook. For people like me that apps from the appstore is not important but what you can do with the playbook. I do a lot of things, I can watch videos, surf the Web, listen to music, attach or upload anything. The playbook has been very useful for me but if you are looking to get apps, yes you will be disappointed
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-05-13 05:39 PM
    I'm tempting to buy 64 GB Playbook... really

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-05-13 11:33 PM
    I just bought two 64GB PlayBook. I have a 32Gb that I'm v giving my little brother and one of the 64GB for my mom. We're all BlackBerry users and my mom lives outside the US where Internet connections Are unreliable. So having net on the PlayBook with her phone was one of the major reasons why I decided to get her a PlayBook.
    So if after doing your research you still think that the PlayBook is a good fit then by all means buy it.
    I'm happy with the one I have now and only got a new one because I needed the extra space

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-05-13 11:42 PM
    In my mind the PlayBook 64GB is still easily worth $125 - 150 for a new or high-quality refurb. People who don't know what to do with it for lack of apps are morons ...
    12-06-13 08:54 AM
    My Dolphin browser don't support flash.
    The Original browser does support flash, the name is "browser" strange but true :-)

The Air browser i can try on the playbook, use it as android port is new to me...
    12-06-13 01:03 PM
    As a Canadian, I was so proud of Blackberry when they were conquering the world. I bought a 64gb Playbook well over a year ago. It had the best specs for the price at the time, since the price had already come down a lot. Playbook OS2.0 was already available. It was the first real mobile computing device I ever owned. I also bought BlackBerry's bluetooth mini-keyboard and leather cover, their rapid charging stand, their HDMI cable, and a Microoft bluetooth mouse because BlackBerry never made one. I really, really wanted to love it.

It's a piece of **** in so many ways. It has the worst instructions, and lack of instructions, of any device out there, and BlackBerry support for it is just as bad. If it weren't for forums like the ones here on Crackberry.com, most people could never find out how to use 80% of its functions. It won't run the new BlackBerry OS10 because it has only 1 gb of RAM, and they can't seem to figure out a way to use any of the other 64 gb of memory it has to supplement the RAM. It won't even run BlackBerry Messenger, their most popular and signature application.

The worst part is that sometimes when you turn it off, it doesn't turn off, the back light stays on behind a black screen and it freezes. Then you can't really turn it off and you can't turn it back on, until the battery is totally dead, and I mean so dead that it has to sit on my BlackBerry rapid charging stand for fifteen minutes before it'll even register as 1% charged. I completely regret buying it and would not recommend it to anyone.
    cjenniti likes this.
    12-06-13 03:23 PM
    As a Canadian, I was so proud of Blackberry when they were conquering the world. I bought a 64gb Playbook well over a year ago. It had the best specs for the price at the time, since the price had already come down a lot. Playbook OS2.0 was already available. It was the first real mobile computing device I ever owned. I also bought BlackBerry's bluetooth mini-keyboard and leather cover, their rapid charging stand, their HDMI cable, and a Microoft bluetooth mouse because BlackBerry never made one. I really, really wanted to love it.

It's a piece of **** in so many ways. It has the worst instructions, and lack of instructions, of any device out there, and BlackBerry support for it is just as bad. If it weren't for forums like the ones here on Crackberry.com, most people could never find out how to use 80% of its functions. It won't run the new BlackBerry OS10 because it has only 1 gb of RAM, and they can't seem to figure out a way to use any of the other 64 gb of memory it has to supplement the RAM. It won't even run BlackBerry Messenger, their most popular and signature application.

The worst part is that sometimes when you turn it off, it doesn't turn off, the back light stays on behind a black screen and it freezes. Then you can't really turn it off and you can't turn it back on, until the battery is totally dead, and I mean so dead that it has to sit on my BlackBerry rapid charging stand for fifteen minutes before it'll even register as 1% charged. I completely regret buying it and would not recommend it to anyone.
    I don't find the instructions available as bad as you seem to. The Help available using the Help icon, Discover Now 2.0! and the BB Knowledge Base is pretty good. Would agree that searching the Knowledge Base is not easy and BB did not provide an easy entry to it. The Crackberry forum certainly provides a lot of information. Wonder what percentage of Playbook owners use it or even are aware of its existence.

Most of us are disappointed that BB 10 did not arrive on the PB after having our hopes built up.

Can't comment on your view of BB support for the PB since I have never contacted them. As far as screen freeze have had once in a while when it trips over a running app but have been successful in turning off with the button. Happens with my Windows 7 lap top occasionally also.
    12-06-13 04:09 PM