But I wanted to know how its browser does on Google Docs and Gmail. Do any of you experience any problems with these sites? Also, how's the over-all battery life; has it held up well after long hours and months of use?

Thanks.
    05-10-12 03:04 AM
    Do some research. There's a wealth of info out there, and in here that will help you make an informed decision. That's what I did, and when I decided I was going to buy the PlayBook, at that time is when I joined so that I could tie up some loose ends that I may have missed from my several month study of the PlayBook. This method works like a charm...there are no surprises, and it has kept me from posting those chihuahua chomping at the ankle like threads on how the PB sux, or missed the boat, or I bought and just found out there is no netflix, so RIM must be a fail, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Your local library or the www is your friend.
    kbz1960 and hpjrt like this.
    05-10-12 05:32 AM
    for Gmail and google docs its pretty much the best browser to use that isnt on a full desktop or laptop.

for battery life, im 7 months into ownership. last night i was on 100% charge. i plugged it into the HDMI, Bridged over Bluetooth, wifi on to the home network, watched 3 and a half hours of video. battery was at 62% when i was done. i only remember thins because at the time i was impressed. battery life is something that always impresses me on the PB. unless im reading. for some reason battery seems to drain quicker reading a book than watching a movie
    05-10-12 05:43 AM
    But I wanted to know how its browser does on Google Docs and Gmail. Do any of you experience any problems with these sites? Also, how's the over-all battery life; has it held up well after long hours and months of use?

Thanks.
    Gmail has some problems using the browser. If you use the mobile version you cannot send attachments. If you use the full version it is slow and if you use the HTML version there are problems addressing mail.

With regard to native email, with the latest update the issue of not being able to view all folders/labels has been resolved but you can only send mail from the Gmail account. If you have set up other email accounts within Gmail then you are rather stuck.

Hope this helps
    05-10-12 05:44 AM
    i expect a thread anytime soon called " im thinking of buying a playbook, but will it bring world peace and eat pollution"
    05-10-12 05:51 AM
    Gotta go with what works for ya my friend. Most of us here love our PBs and think it's the most underrated tablet in the market. Its positves:
    Size and portability
    Beautiful user interface
    Stable full of potential OS
    Great design,love the speakers facing you
    Good battery life
    Recorded video playback is crystal clear
    Lots of other goodies
    Negatives:
    The app ecosystem, mainly lack of the big 5
    05-10-12 05:55 AM
    i expect a thread anytime soon called " im thinking of buying a playbook, but will it bring world peace and eat pollution"
    I know right
    05-10-12 05:57 AM

Thanks.
    gmail works well with pb browser. for google docs I use docs to go (android edition) which works beautifully with google docs.

do not hesitate. playbook is dirty cheap and it is awesome tablet

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    05-10-12 06:07 AM
    gmail works well with pb browser. for google docs I use docs to go (android edition) which works beautifully with google docs.

this is true, the best wat to look at it is not what it doesnt do, compared to much more expensive items, but at what it DOES do at THAT price.

Its worth the money even if you just use it as a web browser and games platform.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-10-12 06:14 AM
    With regard to native email, with the latest update the issue of not being able to view all folders/labels has been resolved but you can only send mail from the Gmail account. If you have set up other email accounts within Gmail then you are rather stuck.

Hope this helps
    What?

I have 3 gmail, a yahoo, roadrunner, and a hotmail(think that's livemail now? but my address is still hotmail) account on my PB and I can send from anyone of them. When you compose all you have to do is scroll up a bit(to the very top of the compose page) and choose the account you want to send from. Otherwise it sends from the default, either one you set as default, or the first email address you setup on the PB(first email setup sets its self as default).
    Last edited by homer1475; 05-10-12 at 06:19 AM.
    05-10-12 06:16 AM

Gmail does NOT work 'well with pb browser'.

See my earlier post.
    05-10-12 06:16 AM
    Works fine for me
    05-10-12 07:09 AM
    What?

I have 3 gmail, a yahoo, roadrunner, and a hotmail(think that's livemail now? but my address is still hotmail) account on my PB and I can send from anyone of them. When you compose all you have to do is scroll up a bit(to the very top of the compose page) and choose the account you want to send from. Otherwise it sends from the default, either one you set as default, or the first email address you setup on the PB(first email setup sets its self as default).
    I don't doubt it. That is NOT, however, what I said. I said that if you are forwarding mail to Gmail from another account, you cannot send from that account using the native email.
    05-10-12 08:01 AM
    Works fine for me
    How are you using it? Please explain.
    05-10-12 08:06 AM
    How are you using it? Please explain.
    If using the browser version of Gmail, it should redirect you to the HTML5 friendly version. Which by the way is excellent, very smooth, didn't have issues when I was playing with that. Although I personally simply prefer to use the native mail client. Multiple emails can be attached and you have that offline access, but to each their own right.
    05-10-12 09:21 AM
    Gmail has some problems using the browser. If you use the mobile version you cannot send attachments. If you use the full version it is slow and if you use the HTML version there are problems addressing mail.

Rubbish - gmail does not stop other native email accounts working

I have 5 email accounts on my PB:
    • Gmail
    • POP3 via ISP - main business account
    • IMAP via ISP - main personal account
    • Yahoo - other account
    • LinkedIn

ALL Email Accounts work fine - and do not hinder any of the other email accounts working, and it is really easy to swap from one account to another (and even easier to swap from one calendar, or combination of calendars, to another)

I have set up two other PlayBooks, which both have a combination of 2 gmail accounts, AOL account, and POP3 ISP account - no problems on these PlayBooks either

Haseleyman - I am not trying to be rude - but I think you have a weird support error here (or usability error)
    05-10-12 10:13 AM
    Rubbish - gmail does not stop other native email accounts working

I have 5 email accounts on my PB:
    • Gmail
    • POP3 via ISP - main business account
    • IMAP via ISP - main personal account
    • Yahoo - other account
    • LinkedIn

ALL Email Accounts work fine - and do not hinder any of the other email accounts working, and it is really easy to swap from one account to another (and even easier to swap from one calendar, or combination of calendars, to another)

I have set up two other PlayBooks, which both have a combination of 2 gmail accounts, AOL account, and POP3 ISP account - no problems on these PlayBooks either

Haseleyman - I am not trying to be rude - but I think you have a weird support error here (or usability error)

Well, you are being a little rude but you are also being a little dim. You fail to understand what I am saying. Which is (again):

If you use Gmail to send from your other email addresses (you set this up within gmail. Nothing to do with PB) then you CANNOT send from those addresses from your PB native email Gmail setup.You can only send from the Gmail account.

This problem is not unique to the PB. The problem is the same with the iPad BUT you can work around this with the iPad by setting Gmail up as IMAP. Because PB doesn't properly implement IMAP (sigh) then it doesn't work .

I hope this now clarifies things for you. Apology accepted.
    05-10-12 01:58 PM
    If using the browser version of Gmail, it should redirect you to the HTML5 friendly version. Which by the way is excellent, very smooth, didn't have issues when I was playing with that. Although I personally simply prefer to use the native mail client. Multiple emails can be attached and you have that offline access, but to each their own right.

Do you mean basic HTML version? If so, see if you can successfully use the 'auto address' function from your contacts in the 'to' field. It doesn't work for me.

or

If you are using the Gmail mobile version, try adding an attachment.
    05-10-12 02:04 PM
    Well, you are being a little rude but you are also being a little dim. You fail to understand what I am saying. Which is (again):

If you use Gmail to send from your other email addresses (you set this up within gmail. Nothing to do with PB) then you CANNOT send from those addresses from your PB native email Gmail setup.You can only send from the Gmail account.

This problem is not unique to the PB. The problem is the same with the iPad BUT you can work around this with the iPad by setting Gmail up as IMAP. Because PB doesn't properly implement IMAP (sigh) then it doesn't work .

I hope this now clarifies things for you. Apology accepted.

Oh, and here is a link showing you how you can do this on an iPad but not PB (grrrrr...)

Solved: Gmail, iPad, iPhone, and multiple from addresses - Modern Nerd
    05-10-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD