I really like the PlayBook. It's a slick piece of hardware with a pretty nice looking OS.

But it has crashed twice on me today.

I just pulled it out to look at an email function. It's bridged and the Bridge icons are active (in colour) but when I tap them, it does nothing. None of the bridge apps work. The buttons do their little animated thing when I tap them but that is all. Nothing launches.

It even says I have new messages, but won't let me open the mail app to look.

Do I return it or stick it in a drawer until all these bugs are fixed?
    05-03-11 08:13 PM
    Are you sure it's the Playbook or might there be a problem with your phone?
    05-03-11 08:13 PM
    How can I tell? My phone does everything it is supposed to, no updates available for Bridge.
    05-03-11 08:17 PM
    Haven't had that problem. I've had two issues. One is when inputting my device password to unlock as I'm on BES to get into mail, it will open the app and then a large orange colored screen with the word "password" written vertically and a little horizontally will show up. If I close the Mail window and try again it works. The second is on occasion the notification icons won't go away. I think this has been mentioned before.
    05-03-11 08:17 PM
    I really like the PlayBook. It's a slick piece of hardware with a pretty nice looking OS.

I just pulled it out to look at an email function. It's bridged and the Bridge icons are active (in colour) but when I tap them, it does nothing. None of the bridge apps work. The buttons do their little animated thing when I tap them but that is all. Nothing launches.

What a coincidence, my windows 7 computer crashed today too! I'm thinking of putting it away until microsoft can guarantee it won't crash again.
    05-03-11 08:20 PM
    My notification icons sometimes go away, but the little red star is always by the email icon.
    05-03-11 08:20 PM
    What a coincidence, my windows 7 computer crashed today too! I'm thinking of putting it away until microsoft can guarantee it won't crash again.
    Microsoft has 100,000+ hardware combinations to support in their OS. Rim has what, a dozen? Can it be that hard to make the stuff work?

This is my first full day with the PB and it has gone haywire at least three times, crashed when I was showing it to someone...

Not a good start.
    shimojunk and ElSteve9 like this.
    05-03-11 08:22 PM
    I don't get the red star on my email icon. Not when I first bought it and not now after the update. Only the notification icon in the upper left corner.
    05-03-11 08:23 PM
    Apparently we were supposed to know that even though this is a "Professional" tablet we are supposed to know that this is a beta device that is not ready for prime time.
    ElSteve9 likes this.
    05-03-11 08:25 PM
    It seems like your PlayBook is bringing you a lot of frustration. Maybe you should just return it and move onto something else.

I don't think you'll attract much help with your thread title, but best of luck.
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 05-03-11 at 08:29 PM.
    05-03-11 08:27 PM
    I don't get the red star on my email icon. Not when I first bought it and not now after the update. Only the notification icon in the upper left corner.
    Sorry, it's a white star on a red dot

Strange. I wonder why you don't get it.
    05-03-11 08:28 PM
    It seems like your PlayBook is bringing you a lot of frustration. Maybe you should just return in and move onto something else.
    I like the PB. Much more than the iPad. I thought the size would be a limitation but it's one of the things I really like about it.

I just want it to work as intended.
    05-03-11 08:29 PM
    Apparently we were supposed to know that even though this is a "Professional" tablet we are supposed to know that this is a beta device that is not ready for prime time.
    Well if I am a beta tester, where's my free PB?
    05-03-11 08:31 PM
    Nope, rebooted the PB, again, and it works now.

Red/white star still stuck on messages icon.
    05-03-11 08:33 PM
    Do you mean on the Messages icon in the Bridge window, or the yellow envelope in the notification area at the top left of the screen. That I have.
    05-03-11 08:40 PM
    Microsoft has 100,000+ hardware combinations to support in their OS. Rim has what, a dozen? Can it be that hard to make the stuff work?

This is my first full day with the PB and it has gone haywire at least three times, crashed when I was showing it to someone...

Not a good start.
    My MacBook Air locked up today and spontaneously booted me out of Safari
    How many hardware combinations does Apple have to support?
    05-03-11 08:40 PM
    Do you mean on the Messages icon in the Bridge window, or the yellow envelope in the notification area at the top left of the screen. That I have.
    The white messages icon in the BlackBerry Bridge section.
    05-03-11 08:50 PM

Not a good start.
    You DO realize that by purchasing the PB so soon, you are an early adopter? As such you should expect a lot of hiccups. Version "one" of just about anything is prone to issues. For example, every few years (4 or 5?) car mfgrs come out with new body styles. the first year of the newest body will have some issues that will get ironed out during later production runs (not that the general public hears about the minute details), and in subsequent model year runs. It's better to wait for the second model year, following the release of a newly redesigned vehicle body.

So what I'm saying is you've got a double-whammy going--both a new model, AND an early production unit. The software isn't fully baked. I'm betting you knew all that, yet you are comparing RIM's issues with the PB to MS, which keeps the same OS for more than a few years, so they have plenty of time to tweak it. Shall we even get into the debacle, AKA Vista??
    05-03-11 08:59 PM
    I've never seen that on mine. What the heck!
    05-03-11 09:02 PM
    Some playbooks have that. My last one did and my current one doesnt. Its very strange.
    05-03-11 09:02 PM
    05-03-11 09:07 PM
    You DO realize that by purchasing the PB so soon, you are an early adopter? As such you should expect a lot of hiccups. Version "one" of just about anything is prone to issues. For example, every few years (4 or 5?) car mfgrs come out with new body styles. the first year of the newest body will have some issues that will get ironed out during later production runs (not that the general public hears about the minute details), and in subsequent model year runs. It's better to wait for the second model year, following the release of a newly redesigned vehicle body.

So what I'm saying is you've got a double-whammy going--both a new model, AND an early production unit. The software isn't fully baked. I'm betting you knew all that, yet you are comparing RIM's issues with the PB to MS, which keeps the same OS for more than a few years, so they have plenty of time to tweak it. Shall we even get into the debacle, AKA Vista??
    I bought an early build of the first model year of my car, so far it hasn't crashed itself.

I upgraded to Windows 7 months after it came out and there were dozens of updates and fixes for it. It crashes more than Vista ever did for me.

I understand that the PB is a new model, but what I don't understand is how it falls short of so many basic features.
    05-03-11 09:10 PM
    In other news...my PlayBook hasn't crashed once.
    05-03-11 09:17 PM

All part of being an early adopter...
    05-03-11 09:22 PM
    @op just watched the vid, did you try a hard reset? today when bridged it worked fine but no icons were there, just titles, hard reset fixed it, may do the same for you, also delete the pairing on your bb and pb and repair, worth a try..
    05-03-11 09:26 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD