Last month Google announced that Netflix was nowavailable on ARM-based Samsung Chromebooks*thanks to the use of HTML5 video — and now the streaming service has outlined its larger plans to eventually move to the format for all computers. Currently, Netflix primarily uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in when streaming video to web browsers, but Netflix's Anthony Park and Mark Watson*point out in a blog post*that the current solution really can't stand. Plug-ins don't play well with with most mobile browsers, they can be cumbersome for users, and perhaps most importantly, Microsoft itself may not develop a*new version of Silverlight beyond the current release.The solution is HTML5 video, but that relatively young technology requires further development to meet the needs — and DRM requirements — of a service like Netflix. According to the blog post, Netflix has been collaborating on three W3C initiatives that together will provide the required functionality for streaming video services. Dubbed the "HTML5 Premium Video Extensions," they include an extension that will allow the company to handle its delivery streams via JavaScript, another that will allow DRM encryption (perhaps thebiggest obstacle for HTML5 video's broad adoption), and a cryptography extension that will allow Netflix to make sure any communication between its JavaScript code and servers remains secure.According to Netflix, the Chrome OS version of Netflix uses the first two extensions in the suite already, but the third hasn't been built into Chrome at the moment so Netflix is using its own plug-in instead. Once Google builds that third extension into the browser, however, the door will be open for Netflix to start testing HTML5 video on a wide array of computers.
    Hopefully Google releases the new extension very soon so I can start streaming on my Playbook!

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/42...to-html5-video
    04-16-13 03:24 AM
    Once google builds? So did they build the other two extensions? Will this be released so other browsers can use it? I have a feeling we are moving from a Microsoft controlled area to now a google controlled area.
    04-16-13 04:15 AM
    At this point your best hope of Netflix would be to get an Android tablet You either live with the Playbook as it is or you get something else. Don't put too much hope in anything RIM puts out these days.
    04-16-13 04:58 AM
    Netflix who cares... use a playstation 3 will ya.
    04-16-13 09:14 AM
    ps3? id rather my wii I would like to have netflix its not a deal breaker as I'm still using my playbook as we speak
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-16-13 09:19 AM
    ps3? id rather my wii I would like to have netflix its not a deal breaker as I'm still using my playbook as we speak
    never mind the wii or the ps3 or xbox--my roku unit kicks ****
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-16-13 02:07 PM
    I don't find any of these work well on the bus.
    04-16-13 03:50 PM
    I don't find any of these work well on the bus.
    pffft shows what you know! I carry my ps3, 17" hd monitor and a battery wherever I go so I can watch my movies! :P
    Azeron, Carl Estes and nappp like this.
    04-16-13 05:01 PM
    pffft shows what you know! I carry my ps3, 17" hd monitor and a battery wherever I go so I can watch my movies! :P
    oh your .."that guy" lol
    04-16-13 06:07 PM
    I recall when we were discussing using the pb for videos and someone said they would never use anything but their 55inch whatever and I replied that TSA might object to my carrying it on the plane!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-16-13 07:06 PM
    Iheartradio, and hulu already blocks the playbook's browser from using there service even though we are paying subscribers, and so will netflix. It's not fair by a longshot. Change.org. Sign petitions to let these companies know that we are I big part of there user base and they need to support us BlackBerry users.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    04-16-13 07:23 PM
    At this point your best hope of Netflix would be to get an Android tablet You either live with the Playbook as it is or you get something else. Don't put too much hope in anything RIM puts out these days.
    I agree with you. Use what you got or buy something else. I am still flabergasted at the I support blackberry...i buy shares posts...(lol) .

Wake up....the fat lady is singing....the sky is falling...the ship is sinking...all hope is lost.......move on...nothing to see here.....
    04-16-13 08:00 PM
    I agree with you. Use what you got or buy something else. I am still flabergasted at the I support blackberry...i buy shares posts...(lol) .

Wake up....the fat lady is singing....the sky is falling...the ship is sinking...all hope is lost.......move on...nothing to see here.....
    Yeah cause this guy MUST work for BlackBerry to know what is happening ( face lowering into palm and shaking head in confusion) wow.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:19 PM
    Too bad it's not that easy to carry that, your TV, all the cords and controllers everywhere you go.
    04-16-13 11:14 PM
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
    04-17-13 09:08 AM
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
    Insanity is when you become a danger to yourself and/or others. What Albert is describing is idiocy. In the meantime, this whole "Netflix on the Playbook" thing is wore out. I hope it does come one day, but it really has no effect on my everyday life of entertaining myself. I still utilize my Playbook every single day and still love it. Viva BlackBerry!
    04-17-13 03:05 PM
    I love my Playbook and use it everyday. I could care less if Netflix comes to Playbook or not.
    nappp and jamesharmeling like this.
    04-17-13 03:51 PM
    I love my Playbook and use it everyday. I could care less if Netflix comes to Playbook or not.
    Theres hope for Netflix on the Playbook afterall!-caring.png
    04-17-13 06:07 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caring.png 
Views:	833 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	152182
    Yep. That's one of my pet peeves. Another one is "These ones" or "Those ones". My mom made sure that she raised her boys to speak English and not some variation thereof. Now that I've got kids, they suffer what I suffered: "Say it right!". Lol!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-17-13 08:12 PM
    I agree. Thank your Mom for me.
    jamesharmeling and Carl Estes like this.
    04-18-13 04:41 AM
    Theres hope for Netflix on the Playbook afterall!-capture.png Their is hope after all!
    05-24-13 11:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1870 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	164796 Their is hope after all!
    Cool! Thanks for the heads up!
    05-24-13 11:12 AM
    Hate to burst the bubble, but Netflix support gives that same boilerplate statement each time I ask the question. It's great that they offer to note our BB support requests, but I don't know if they're going anywhere. (I hope to be proved wrong!)

Most of the Netflix support agents that I've chatted with also said they have Blackberries. I found that a little strange.
    05-24-13 11:30 AM
    Would be hard to lug the PS3 on the Street Car going downtown
    05-24-13 11:32 AM
    this article basically says "blah blah blah blah blah nothings changed it still won't work on playbook"

why did this even bother getting posted? Who care about a new something or other that can't be used or applied TODAY. There are HOW MANY articles already about people b**ching and moaning to put netflix on PLAYBOOK but not a single article or bar file will work on playbook. This was a waste of time completely
    08-03-13 09:09 AM
32 12