I now have hundreds of photos and would like to put them in separate folders, so I don't have to keep paging thru all of them to get to recent ones, middle ones, etc.
    Is there a way to create folders in the photos file?
    Many thanks
    12-07-13 01:34 PM
    I would assume, that a good file manager/explorer (I use the free version of "Ghost Commander", but there are countless others), could let you create new folders in your pictures folder. I haven't tried this myself,but it works in the documents folder and in the video folder, so I think it should work in the pictures folder as well. A file manager/explorer will be obviously also helpful when placing the pictures in the newly created folders (the built-in one is a joke, to put it mildly).
    12-07-13 01:40 PM
    I now have hundreds of photos and would like to put them in separate folders, so I don't have to keep paging thru all of them to get to recent ones, middle ones, etc.
    Is there a way to create folders in the photos file?
    Many thanks
    Ghost Commander is convenient with the two panes. I have found it to be more labor intensive with Files and Folders. The folders will appear as albums on your picture app.
    12-07-13 04:04 PM
    Ghost Commander is convenient with the two panes. I have found it to be more labor intensive with Files and Folders. The folders will appear as albums on your picture app.
    Ok, so I downloaded Ghost Commander, but how do you create the folders & move pics?
    I can't find folders or choices that let me create a folder & move pics
    12-07-13 04:31 PM
    Ok, so I downloaded Ghost Commander, but how do you create the folders & move pics?
    I can't find folders or choices that let me create a folder & move pics
    make dir at the bottom
    12-07-13 04:37 PM
    Also note that you can make multiple selections.
    12-07-13 05:07 PM
    Also note that you can make multiple selections.
    Ok, so I did manage to create one file, but when I look in the right side pane it only lists a jumble of downloads. So how do I call up my pictures file?
    12-07-13 06:07 PM
    Ok, so I did manage to create one file, but when I look in the right side pane it only lists a jumble of downloads. So how do I call up my pictures file?
    Your pictures should be under Camera.

On the left panel have your folder you want to use selected
    On the right panel have camera selected.
    On the right panel select one or more of your images,
    Select move on the bottom.
    A selection bar will appear on the screen with the folder selected on the left pane.
    Tap OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    castoridae likes this.
    12-07-13 06:53 PM
    Your pictures should be under Camera.

On the left panel have your folder you want to use selected
    On the right panel have camera selected.
    On the right panel select one or more of your images,
    Select move on the bottom.
    A selection bar will appear on the screen with the folder selected on the left pane.
    Tap OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    So, I've found out that it's better to move than copy, but then the photos disappear from you photo folder and are just in the ghost commander?
    What does that mean?
    I tried and found that I can still access them, even when wifi is turned off, so not online - where are they?
    12-07-13 07:30 PM
    The Blue at the top of the pane tells you which pane you're working with. You can change panes by tapping the top of the pane or any file or folder in the pane. Create a folder, here in the left pane, by tapping MkDir on the bottom toolbar. After you create your folder in the left pane, you can multi-select pics to move. Tapping on the left side of a file (here where the thumbnails show) will allow you to open the file, while tapping on the right side will allow you to select or multi-select files for action. Here, I've selected three pics. Then tap Move on the bottom toolbar and a dialogue appear asking if you want to move the selected pics to tthe open folder, here on the lefty. Tap OK, and the pics will then be moved into the selected folder.

Note that you can go into settings (swipe down from top, then choose application, then settings) and change the size of thumbnails to make things a bit easier. In settings, choose thumbnail size, then change the number that appears. Mine are set to 450 here, and the thumbs are considerably larger than default.

Is there a way to put photos into separate folders on playbook?-img_20130629.png
    jpash549 likes this.
    12-07-13 07:41 PM
    So, I've found out that it's better to move than copy, but then the photos disappear from you photo folder and are just in the ghost commander?
    What does that mean?
    I tried and found that I can still access them, even when wifi is turned off, so not online - where are they?
    They're in whichever folder that you've moved them to. They'll show up in the Pictures app in an album with the name you chose when making your folder to move them into.
    12-07-13 07:43 PM
    When you want to send pictures from a specific folder by attaching to an email:
    1) as usual tap the paper clip then select pictures from the choices of docs etc . You will see all the pictures in the PB with the most recent last.
    2) Tap the little eyeglass icon in th upper right. Then enter the name of the folder (album, directory) you want and you will be able to select from that folder.
    castoridae likes this.
    12-07-13 08:01 PM
    The previous post works with docs etc. With the PB you can keep Ghost Commander open so you can get to the right folder. Somehow I hadn't figured this convenient way of working before. It is going to help me with uploading to Box.
    castoridae likes this.
    12-07-13 08:33 PM
    The Blue at the top of the pane tells you which pane you're working with. You can change panes by tapping the top of the pane or any file or folder in the pane. Create a folder, here in the left pane, by tapping MkDir on the bottom toolbar. After you create your folder in the left pane, you can multi-select pics to move. Tapping on the left side of a file (here where the thumbnails show) will allow you to open the file, while tapping on the right side will allow you to select or multi-select files for action. Here, I've selected three pics. Then tap Move on the bottom toolbar and a dialogue appear asking if you want to move the selected pics to tthe open folder, here on the lefty. Tap OK, and the pics will then be moved into the selected folder.

Note that you can go into settings (swipe down from top, then choose application, then settings) and change the size of thumbnails to make things a bit easier. In settings, choose thumbnail size, then change the number that appears. Mine are set to 450 here, and the thumbs are considerably larger than default.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130629.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	227962
    OMG!! I. Was creating folders and moving all my pics out of my camera file and into command ghost
    But I just managed to move a whole folder of pics from there back to camera!
    So you can move whole folders!
    Thank you so so much!!
    12-07-13 09:19 PM
    OMG!! I. Was creating folders and moving all my pics out of my camera file and into command ghost
    You're not moving anything into Ghost. You're just moving files or folders around in the Playbook's file system. Ghost simply lets you access this file system to move, copy, paste or delete files, etc.
    12-07-13 09:38 PM
    1) as usual tap the paper clip then select pictures from the choices of docs etc . You will see all the pictures in the PB with the most recent last.
    2) Tap the little eyeglass icon in th upper right. Then enter the name of the folder (album, directory) you want and you will be able to select from that folder.
    Actually to easily attach pics to an email you can also use Ghost Commander. Just select the pic or pics you want to attach and then press and hold on the pic (or on one of the pics if you multi select). From the pop up menu, choose "Send to...", then choose "Messages". Messages will open in the compose view with the chosen pic(s) attached. The only caveat is that all selected pics must reside in the same folder.
    jpash549 likes this.
    12-07-13 09:45 PM
    You're not moving anything into Ghost. You're just moving files or folders around in the Playbook's file system. Ghost simply lets you access this file system to move, copy, paste or delete files, etc.
    Yes but my right pane is e titled '/sdcard/DCIM/Camera' and both sides of yours is '/Accounts/1000/shared camera
    I only have shared camera in one pane, so the pics got removed from my photo file, but then I copied them ba
    Ck to camera.
    So how did you get shared camera on both panes?
    12-07-13 09:56 PM
    Does this create the named folder?
    12-07-13 09:58 PM
    Ok, I just figured it out - it's 'synchronize panels' in location
    12-07-13 10:03 PM
    Yes but my right pane is e titled '/sdcard/DCIM/Camera' and both sides of yours is '/Accounts/1000/shared camera
    I only have shared camera in one pane, so the pics got removed from my photo file, but then I copied them ba
    Ck to camera.
    So how did you get shared camera on both panes?
    You hit the wrong button from Ghost's homescreen. With the sdcard pane highlighted in Ghost, hit "Home" on the bottom toolbar. This will take you back to Ghost's homescreen in that pane. Here, select "Blackberry Media" (you must have selected Local Storage previously- that takes you to the Playbooks android file system). "Blackberry Media" will take you to the Playbook's media folders, including the camera folder.
    12-07-13 10:10 PM
    Ok, I just figured it out - it's 'synchronize panels' in location
    That'll work too.
    12-07-13 10:10 PM
    Also note that tapping the folder icon with an arrow in it, at the top of the pane, will take you up one level in the Playbook's folder structure.
    12-07-13 10:16 PM
    Does this create the named folder?
    No. The folder is created in Ghost Commander. I was trying to point out a way of using the search function in the selection box accessed from the paper clip. I am showing it for the video section but it would also work. for docs, music or pictures. You can access first level folders by name or search for key words. This is useful in getting email attachments or for sending to the cloud.
    Attached Thumbnails Is there a way to put photos into separate folders on playbook?-uploadfromtaptalk1386477509277.jpg  
    castoridae likes this.
    12-07-13 10:45 PM
    besides using Ghost Commander, abundantly described here (and I have it), there is a variety of native file managers, of which "Files and Folders" which sports a slideshow capacity. Brilliant, fast, cool.

A critical issue with the PB that none of these alternate filemanagers will solve, anyhow, is the pathetic unability of native apps, using the native file picker, to actually handle subfolders.

I mean, whenever you use the native mail app, or say the (very efficient) Smart Office 2 app to create complex MS files, as soon as you want to insert a photo in a doc (or email), you get the basic, flat file picker, which'll have you waiting until ALL the photos are scanned, and the you mus scroll forever to find yours, no folder indicated.

Only by using a ported android app can you reach folders, like for instance what has been described for emails above…

This alone prevents the PB to be an usable platform for picture handling, other than for slideshows with File & Folders.
    castoridae likes this.
    12-08-13 09:45 AM
    Actually, Files and Folders is probably the worst of the file managers for what the OP wants to do. , Besides the hassle of having to navigate back and forth to move files, which is true of many managers, F&F seems alone in not having a true cut and paste function. Rather, what F&F calls cut and paste seems to actually involve copy, paste, and then the deletion of the original file. This is not a big deal when moving a few small files, but can be a major hassle when moving a lot of files or moving any large files. Try moving a one gig video file in Ghost and F&F. Hit "move" in Ghost Commander and the whole process takes less than a second. Hit paste in F&F, and the process takes close to 15 minutes. Why the developers of F&F chose to do things this way, I have no idea. It's not an android versus native thing, since the native air browser has true cut and paste.
    12-08-13 10:30 AM
40 12