Hi all,
    In December, I bought the BB High capacity charger from the Crackberry site. I'm in Toronto, so I used it right away with the north amer plug and I love the charging speed. It worked for about a month, but now its dodgy. I frequently have to jiggle the north american plug piece to get it to send juice thru the plug to the playbook. If I don't touch it after that, it charges fast and fine, but if the cord moves the wall plug end in the slightest, the feed quits. I bought it because I'm going to the UK this year and want my PB with me and would use the UK plug, but it would be loose too. Is there a way I can physically take it into a BlackBerry store in Toronto for exchange? I hate to have to send it thru the mail. Thx.
    03-15-13 09:17 AM
    Hi all,
    In December, I bought the BB High capacity charger from the Crackberry site. I'm in Toronto, so I used it right away with the north amer plug and I love the charging speed. It worked for about a month, but now its dodgy. I frequently have to jiggle the north american plug piece to get it to send juice thru the plug to the playbook. If I don't touch it after that, it charges fast and fine, but if the cord moves the wall plug end in the slightest, the feed quits. I bought it because I'm going to the UK this year and want my PB with me and would use the UK plug, but it would be loose too. Is there a way I can physically take it into a BlackBerry store in Toronto for exchange? I hate to have to send it thru the mail. Thx.
    I'll be interested in the answer to this as well.

I called Blackberry to find out about their warranty protection for the Z10, and a senior rep told me 'We just make them, we don't sell them'. He went on to tell me that any warranty support, whether for repair or replacement, has to go through the 'Point of Sale Entity'. So if you buy a Z10 on contract with Telus, you have to go through Telus to get any warranty work done. Same if you buy it outright through Future Shop. Some here have said that if you call Blackberry directly and get the right rep, they may help you, but the guy told me in no uncertain terms that this is not their official position.

This is why I intend to buy my Z10 from a big box store.
    03-15-13 09:31 AM
    My first experience with Rim and Warranty work was the Travel Rapid Charger. They claimed the item was NOT warrantied and to deal with the store I purchased it from. In my case, the springloaded pin at the pb end was not at full height. So jiggling was required. Ultimately after a phone run-around and being sent the wrong charger and NO warranty, as a gracious gesture, they sent me another rapid charger for free.

So, yours is problematic at the wall end of things? The springloaded pins can sometimes be freed by working with them and some electrical lubricant. If the wall plug, you can get those 3-prong, clover cords from other joints.
    03-15-13 10:10 AM
    so are you saying I should ask Crackberry store online here, cause that's where I bought it. Also, I'm surprised the company responded that way since I've heard rave responses about how good BB is about supporting the playbook - has thischanged?
    03-15-13 10:11 AM
    Hi F2, its hard to explain - its where you slide the country plug device (ie: the UK 3prong piece) onto the wallplug that doesn't seem to fit snugly.
    03-15-13 10:20 AM
    Hi all,
    Crackberry store has great service. Do it through them. BlackBerry will not warranty items from other stores.

Posted via CB10
    castoridae likes this.
    03-15-13 10:26 AM
    [The springloaded pins can sometimes be freed by working with them and some electrical lubricant

Actually, I have this exact problem w/ a $5.00 charger for my iPod. The white pin is crooked, so what brand lub would I use - I only have bicycle chain lub right now. The PB charger I bought cost about $50.00, so huge difference.
    03-15-13 10:27 AM
    [QUOTE=QuantumQnx;8132135]Crackberry store has great service. Do it through them. BlackBerry will not warranty items from other stores.

That makes it much easier, thx!!
    03-15-13 03:56 PM
    [The springloaded pins can sometimes be freed by working with them and some electrical lubricant

Actually, I have this exact problem w/ a $5.00 charger for my iPod. The white pin is crooked, so what brand lub would I use - I only have bicycle chain lub right now. The PB charger I bought cost about $50.00, so huge difference.
    Do NOT use bicycle chain stuff!!!!! NO!!!!

There's a variety of electrical contact sprays I'd guess. They are special but not very pricy.

Back to the original..... if you got it from Crackberry, you might contact them.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-15-13 04:57 PM
    I'll be interested in the answer to this as well.

I called Blackberry to find out about their warranty protection for the Z10, and a senior rep told me 'We just make them, we don't sell them'. He went on to tell me that any warranty support, whether for repair or replacement, has to go through the 'Point of Sale Entity'. So if you buy a Z10 on contract with Telus, you have to go through Telus to get any warranty work done. Same if you buy it outright through Future Shop. Some here have said that if you call Blackberry directly and get the right rep, they may help you, but the guy told me in no uncertain terms that this is not their official position.

This is why I intend to buy my Z10 from a big box store.
    They were probably not clear in describing the process, but it is the carrier branded to the phone that does the warranty, facilitated by the store you bought it from. For example, if you buy a Rogers phone you need to get Rogers to fix it, not BlackBerry. If you do not use the phone on Rogers, neither Rogers nor anybody else will fix it under warranty.
    03-15-13 09:33 PM
    They were probably not clear in describing the process, but it is the carrier branded to the phone that does the warranty, facilitated by the store you bought it from. For example, if you buy a Rogers phone you need to get Rogers to fix it, not BlackBerry. If you do not use the phone on Rogers, neither Rogers nor anybody else will fix it under warranty.
    Oh, I think they were perfectly clear in describing the process. It's just what you said. The point is this - I am trying out a Nexus 4 right now. I purchased it from RFD, so I have no receipt. I had an issue with the phone hanging when I tried to do some of the pre-programmed swipe gestures. I called Google, they spent two minutes talking to me, and RMA'd it. The replacement should arrive on Monday.

As much as there is to dislike about Apple, they have a similar return/warranty policy. If the phone is under warranty, just take it to them and if a repair/replacement is required, they do it.

Lenovo works the same way.

Blackberry says 'Sorry, we're not behind you. Talk to the people you bought it from'. This opens you up to all kinds of hassles, like the one you desribed, where you might have a legitimate warranty claim but you're not going to get anything done.

To be honest, this is ridiculous. They want to win back customers? Start with an open and robust warranty policy, especially because this is a brand new piece of hardware running brand new software!
    Last edited by mset; 03-16-13 at 04:45 PM.
    03-16-13 04:15 PM
    I think what a lot of people are missing with carrier branded phones is that BlackBerry says we will sell you a million phones at a discount off list, but you provide the service infrastructure. BlackBerry may still provide the warranty parts, just the carrier has to do the service and repair.

In the case of the PlayBook, it was sold through normal retail channels and BlackBerry provides excellent service to the end user, probably above and beyond what you would get from Apple if you didn't have Applecare.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    03-16-13 06:42 PM
    Do NOT use bicycle chain stuff!!!!! NO!!!!

There's a variety of electrical contact sprays I'd guess. They are special but not very pricy.

Back to the original..... if you got it from Crackberry, you might contact them.
    TheiPod chrgr I got from Amazon, so will contact them. This is what I would try the lube for. I may have electical lube - I need to examine all cans to see.

For the inernat. HS chargerr, I will contact crackberry, where got it from. thx
    03-18-13 02:38 PM