08-04-11 01:03 PM
116 1234 ...
tools
    Oh wow . We are already dividing the community ?

As small as it is ?
    Great plan.
    No, the community divided itself. They are all always welcome to come back over from the dark side...
    The community didn't leave them .. they left the community.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-02-11 at 08:23 PM.
    08-02-11 08:21 PM
    I dunno... as bizarre as this is I can't really criticize you for trying to sell more Playbooks. Why don't you just apply to work at Best Buy or something, are you old enough?
    08-02-11 09:16 PM
    I feel like this suggestion borders on stalking of some kind. Can you stalk a product? It makes me uncomfortable to think that someone would do this.
    lol thats funny. thanks for the laugh.
    08-02-11 09:19 PM
    I will continue to infome the interested of how the PB works so well for me as well, I will continue to be amused with how people follow in heards towards whats thought to be cool. The cycle is the cycle, RIM has a winner on there hands. Time will prove that along with some updates, of that i'm sure.
    I do update in store units if they need it and I'm in the store, aswell I like to ask the staff about the product, by being inquisitive and commenting on what I know, they don't even know they just learnd a lesson. Thats it, thats how I feel comfortable contributing.
    08-02-11 09:43 PM
    I think the fact that fans of BB need to come up with these ideas (very simple ones mind you) and are willing to do them shows how sad a state RIM is in.

Why cant RIM do this? Cause they are inept right now and cant figure out how to sell to consumers. RIM...stick to Enterprise that is where your money is. Let Apple and Google do the consumer angle.
    08-02-11 09:54 PM
    I'm in neither group, does that mean I'm really not a PB owner at all?

If there were a third group it'd be the one who accepts the playbook for what it is and realizes all the apps and toys are fun and selling points but fade away quickly and leave you only using the core functionality which is strong and effective.

Or maybe I just don't exist after all.
    Insync likes this.
    08-02-11 10:01 PM
    I think the fact that fans of BB need to come up with these ideas (very simple ones mind you) and are willing to do them shows how sad a state RIM is in.

Why cant RIM do this? Cause they are inept right now and cant figure out how to sell to consumers. RIM...stick to Enterprise that is where your money is. Let Apple and Google do the consumer angle.
    Agreed and good question - the fact is they simply can't - hence, this thread. Honestly they should pull the retail stuff if they can't handle it, as it's doing them more harm than good, but until then, just trying to save them some embarrassment.
    08-02-11 10:14 PM
    [HTML][/HTML]
    Those who whine endlessly about RIM and lack of features and apps on PlayBook thinking somehow this will pressure RIM to fix it, and those who chip in to do something about it.

If you are in the first category, you are truly not helping to get what you want, you are making it less likely as you help destroy the public view of this device. Whining and complaining, besides being annoying, doesn't do anyone any favors, including the hands that feed us.

Yes it needs further development, yes it could use more apps, yes the retail push is a disaster, yes the CEO's need to be replaced. But sitting here complaining can do nothing but damage the rep of RIM and PlayBook and give reviewers a feast for negative publicity.

Here's what you can do to help. If you have the urge to complain in the forums, how about using that energy productively instead. It will help us all to get what we want, including those who may be stockholders!

This is not a new idea, there are other threads, but I am starting a new clean one.

The primary problem at the retail outlets seems to be sleeping PlayBooks that nobody knows how to wake up, along with hidden gestures and bezel swipes that nobody has a clue exist. So the demo units sit there with a black screen.

Attached is a nice landscape display aid, explaining the gestures, compliments of the hard work of "togardergrosse" along with some pics of them deployed at the local Blackberry displays at Best Buy and Staples.

Buy a document holder at Staples or Office Depot, it might cost you ten bucks but so what - it's your contribution to the future of your PlayBook.

Walk in with it in a shopping bag, and simply place it next to the PlayBook it's easy- mission accomplished, and thank you for using your energy in a positive way! If there is already one there, you will know there is a fellow Crackhead in your neighborhood that beat you to it.

...and be sure to report back here to encourage others to do the same...

The more PlayBooks are sold, the more resources RIM will have to devote to improving it, and the more app developers will be likely to support it. Simple concept.
    08-02-11 10:16 PM
    [HTML][/HTML]
    At futureshop i bad nothing but positive comments from the sales associates.
    Good to hear...
    08-02-11 10:25 PM
    How about we drop it.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-02-11 10:26 PM
    Gladly......
    08-02-11 10:27 PM
    I'm doing my part by taking it everywhere I go.

Just today, a man came up after seeing me with my PlayBook and ask if you can make calls with it. I showed him the App and was impressed.

I've had my 64GB for a few weeks now, some have ask if it's the new iPad? LOL The others love the 7" size/design, I tell them it's THE reason why I sold my iPad One. As for the rest I'm not surprised that they don't even know it exist.

This is RIM's problem, MARKETING. The commercial with Thor was a mess, it's too loud and it didn't really focus on the PlayBook's strengths and TBH it seemed to be more of a TV Spot for the movie. RIM need to KEEP IT SIMPLE, I don't get why the other commercials seems to be LOUD and ALL OVER THE PLACE?!?!

OP keeps bringing up Best Buy, what I don't get is did Apple partnered up with them because up here they have a section at every location. The iPad 2's are displayed nicely and well organized, while the other Tablets are just thrown together, it's a mess. RIM needs to throw some money at Best Buy.
    08-02-11 10:42 PM

OP keeps bringing up Best Buy, what I don't get is did Apple partnered up with them because up here they have a section at every location. The iPad 2's are displayed nicely and well organized, while the other Tablets are just thrown together, it's a mess. RIM needs to throw some money at Best Buy.
    If I saw your post two days ago, I would have agreed with you. But the Best Buy in Coquitlam just upgraded their entire tablet display units and now have all of the tablets in what looks like a custom designed display with each tablet that is currently available on display and (gasp!) working properly.

Ipads do still have their own entire section - with four or five ipads on display and usually a rep that hovers solely in that section. I figure Apple is paying for it - afterall, they have money than the US Goverment so I figure they can afford to spend some.

The Playbook and Xoom has two devices on display. The Galaxy Tab has one. Some Asus or Acer (not sure which) had one or two. Even the accessory aisle for the tablets received new displays - they look much neater and well stocked. Before, quite frankly, was a disaster - a kindergarten classroom was cleaner.

So maybe there is hope that how the devices are displayed will be rectified as at least this Bestbuy has dramtically improved over what it was.
    08-03-11 12:31 AM
    First, I'm honored that blackjack93117 really took it to the next level. I thought the idea of making a banner for gesture swipe is only a small project for him. (or for some people)
    And to be honest, I truly respected how he, as a member of CrackBerry Nation, turn his anger and frustration towards RIM to a positive and constructive way. ( And some found it to be crossing some line, that's normal)
    But again, I am impressed how RIM can have 'loyal' customer despite of what they have been doing now.
    If you guys read at this thread carefully, he did mentioned about this:
    The more PlayBooks are sold, the more resources RIM will have to devote to improving it, and the more app developers will be likely to support it. Simple concept.
    And to look at this thread (or act), I believe RIM should be proud, and shameful at the same time. A simple thing (to put a display on how to awake the PB from sleeping) that actually should be there, the very moment RIM put PB on display.
    Oh well, Summer isn't over yet.
    And for PB sold in stores here, I experienced that all the sales rep really know the PB well so to put such display is unnecessary.
    For people who thinks that putting the display aid would be useless since the store manager could put it on the trash bin, here is some thought:
    1. As long as the display is in there, it will gives information to potential buyer about the bezel gesture.
    2. Before they throw it away, I believe they will at least read and hence, they have the adequate knowledge to promote it.
    3. If by chance, you have the opportunity to talk to the manager/rep in store first, the chances for no 2 to be happened is unlikely.

Do what you think best folks..
    08-03-11 12:37 AM
    I think I am lucky now that I am none of the two kinds of owners: there are the third kind, the owners getting salvation from above and finally get rid of the professional grade tablet -whatever that may means in rim,talk - mine sold yesterday for $400. I pity the buyer, god forgive me of my sin
    08-03-11 12:58 AM
    I think I am lucky now that I am none of the two kinds of owners: there are the third kind, the owners getting salvation from above and finally get rid of the professional grade tablet -whatever that may means in rim,talk - mine sold yesterday for $400. I pity the buyer, god forgive me of my sin
    I'm a gamblin' man and I'm in it for the long haul! Come of RIM you shady pieces of shiznit
    08-03-11 01:00 AM
    Reminds me of the former Governor of The Bank Of England, Eddie George who declared that "There are only three types of Economists. Those that can count, and those that can't!"

Bankers, who were being addressed, are not known for having a sense of humor.

They didn't laugh.
    08-03-11 05:50 AM
    If RIM would communicate when we can expect features to be added to the Playbook, or communicate anything at all about the Playbook like why we are waiting, I might be more inclined to do something. But RIM's apparently lack of interest in addressing the features of this product or communicate anything to the early adopters and developers is proportional to my interest in helping them sell units. They put in some effort and I'll put in some and actually start recommending the device. Right now I tell people it has great potential, but wait till RIM finishes it.
    08-03-11 09:35 AM
    It says a lot when people think that they can do a better job of marketing RIM's products than RIM itself. No confidence.
    08-03-11 09:40 AM
    All this time, the carriers are doing the marketing. No official rim retail shops. No wonder they got no clue in marketing, retail marketing.
    And due to this, rim dont know know how to talk to retail customers/end users. What they know of customers are carriers and bes users.
    Hence the arrogance.
    08-03-11 09:45 AM
    I've read enough reviews and comments about the PlayBook to make anybody's eyes crossed. Not ONCE have I read one where the poster didn't extoll the virtues of the iPad and/or Android tablet of some kind. So I'll stick to my broad generalization as it pertains to my experience, thanks.
    You obviously haven't read mine.
    08-03-11 10:47 AM
    It says a lot when people think that they can do a better job of marketing RIM's products than RIM itself. No confidence.
    High confidence in the product, zero confidence in the marketing...that's all it says. Can't fault the product or the designers for the poor marketing department...INCLUDING as lnichols says above - the poor communication to the customer or potential customer. In spite of that I still love my PlayBook and wish it to succeed, and to help in any way I can to get everyone all the apps and features they could ever ask for . Is that a crime?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-03-11 at 10:58 AM.
    08-03-11 10:53 AM
    What about us who just complain a little about the basic functionality of the device and who don't whine all the time about getting new apps and native email? Ie- customizing home screen and bookmarks have been my main beef. I would like native email and Android Player, but I don't complain about it. Don't we get a little slack?
    08-03-11 11:10 AM
    just two catagories? how about those who have other tablets, and just notice what isnt here, that should be....the phones kick ****, why not just use that OS? and when the tablet OS is fully baked give us the download? leaving the misspells because my tour would have the spellcheck option. also auto capitalization, and a way to pedictivly move the cursur......
    08-03-11 11:21 AM
    What about us who just complain a little about the basic functionality of the device and who don't whine all the time about getting new apps and native email? Ie- customizing home screen and bookmarks have been my main beef. I would like native email and Android Player, but I don't complain about it. Don't we get a little slack?
    Why is it considered whining to want functionality that was promised? Many of us bought the Playbook because we were led to believe this functionality would be available.
    kbz1960 and FF22 like this.
    08-03-11 11:38 AM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD