Best Buy had Mall Security arrest me when I tried this today, they didn't think it was such a great idea to be messing with their stuff.
    I had to wonder if anyone would hauled away for leaving a bag in store as a terrorist
    08-03-11 03:07 PM
    Any entity (corporations are composed of PEOPLE, believe it or not) that can produce an awesome device like the PlayBook which makes my life more efficient and gives me more freedom is my aggregate FRIEND and I will support furthering of the friendship ....there were no promises, only mentions of schedules and huge assumptions made that they would be met, in the midst of all the turmoil...give my friends a break. Point is the better they do the better we all do, those that love and stick with PlayBook that is. If not, why even be posting here? Makes no sense.

(re: google - no idea what the problem is - I have no trouble searching for "playbook" or anything else in google on my playbook...that's just bizarre)
    Lol... It's a company that's trying to do whatever it can to sell you something. It's not your friend. But I guess when you don't have very many friends then you latch onto a corporation in a desperate attempt to make them. You literally get crazier with every single post, it's hysterical and entertaining. I just sit back and watch the madness unfold.
    08-03-11 03:09 PM
    You are actually serious.

So you truly feel the answer is to go in to every retailer and make visual aids to save the PB?

Wow. To think we could have used such innovative methods to save stuff like diaper thongs and the bicycle bungee.

I will never argue about the power of good marketing; I think your efforts are bet directed at the boys in Waterloo. Take one of your promotional charts there... for real.
    Just doing my small part - no it isn't he answer - but anything helps and with the power of crackberry it could help a lot. the boys in Waterloo (the marketing department anyway) are clearly inept and hopeless if they couldn't even figure out this small deficiency.. Bypass!
    08-03-11 03:09 PM
    Lol... It's a company that's trying to do whatever it can to sell you something. It's not your friend. But I guess when you don't have very many friends then you latch onto a corporation in a desperate attempt to make them. You literally get crazier with every single post, it's hysterical and entertaining. I just sit back and watch the madness unfold.
    Happy to entertain, but i just realized that's not my purpose in life so I'm out ..above poster summed up my feelings well:

So please save your sarcasm, anti-RIM B.S. for the whiner forums and if your intersted in making a difference, then do so.
    08-03-11 03:14 PM
    You are actually serious.

So you truly feel the answer is to go in to every retailer and make visual aids to save the PB?

Wow. To think we could have used such innovative methods to save stuff like diaper thongs and the bicycle bungee.

I will never argue about the power of good marketing; I think your efforts are bet directed at the boys in Waterloo. Take one of your promotional charts there... for real.

I think the dudes' heart is in the right place , but the guy is going about it the wrong way.

I used to manage a tech/gadget shop many moons ago and if a guy tried doing something like that in my store I would have permanently kicked him out of the store as he's bound to start some trouble with a potential customer sooner or later.
    08-03-11 03:20 PM
    Best Buy had Mall Security arrest me when I tried this today, they didn't think it was such a great idea to be messing with their stuff.
    08-03-11 04:13 PM
    Seeing a crackberry member come on here and urge non employees (retail or RIM, it does not matter) to engage in this guerrilla merchandising is terribly sad.

Are there Samsung Galaxy tab owners who are being asked to 'pitch in' and help sell that device using their own money and time? I am wondering what kid of car the OP drives, and does he, in fact, print up fact sheets about it and leave it at the dealership? He does not, because he would be laughed off the lot when he did.

I've done my bit to make the Playbook better. I certainly never go out of my way but (1) I never bought one and (2) whenever I see one on a display, I turn it off. Both of these things will translate into poorer sales for an already poor selling product. I might have made the difference between RIM selling 299,995 playbooks vs 300,000 and the worse they do now (with a product they have so arrogantly claimed to be the best thing since sliced bread) the better they will do later. If you urge people to buy this current model of the playbook, it's pretty much guaranteeing they will never buy another tablet from RIM again.

Best to think about the long game here: Playbook is little league in so many ways...a toy tablet, the only professional grade component is the price. The sooner RIM realizes this, the more drastic and pronounced the improvements will hopefully be to the next model.
    djdrastic and lavrishevo like this.
    08-03-11 04:20 PM
    Silence, ye whiner! Sit back and enjoy the device as-is! Anything else is whining. Do your part and make some promo materials and late night infomercials.
    We have two "off" channels here that could use better infomercials. I'll consider your suggestion. Just as soon as I can zoom on an email and have the pb autocorrect my typing I will snap to it. Ooops - ran into a problem with my ad copy. I noticed in the pdf file I created a typo but I cannot search through the pdf file to find the rest of them. I spelled "playbook" "ploybook" but can't search for those typos in either the ploybook's pdf reader, Word or the html file on the browser. Looks like I'm going to have to pass.
    OniBerry, howarmat and Rello like this.
    08-03-11 04:21 PM
    Friend, business contact, acquaintance, guy you met on the street, major corporation.... it does not matter. I'm done playing games with you all.

I am not a preacher and will take my suggestions to where they are needed, to RIM and to the people (friend or not) who depend on me to be a rock. If you all want to continue acting like children and not have a constructive conversation on how we can help RIM get their $hit together, then I'm wasting my time.

Thanks and good luck to you all.
    08-03-11 04:24 PM
    Sorry, I could not just press "thanks" or "like" as I am still chuckling and could not control the mouse!
    08-03-11 04:26 PM
    To help yourself indirectly by helping RIM. I don't understand why people have trouble grasping the simple concept that the better Playbooks sell, the more likely you are to get the apps and features you complain about...not rocket science.
    I admire your dedication, but life is too short. I don't buy products that are a charity case, or need my help. I have been burned too many times before. Stuff has to work and demonstrate its effectiveness, or it goes back before the return period is up. It's a product, a material good, and not some holy pilgrimage.

I know many here think people buy iOS devices because they are on some sort of worship craze or there's a cult following, and that may be true in some cases (this thread being a perfect example of how that happens). But I think a lot of customers buy them because the damn things just work, and the out of the box experience is so good. Expectations are set with proper marketing, and people know what they are buying. They don't need to suffer for the devices afterwards.

Rather than run around town trying to fix the display of a product marketed by a large multinational corporation, selling the device in a large big box retailer, maybe look up a legitimate charity in your area who really needs help, and donate time/money to them. I think that has a better chance of really making an impact where it matters.
    08-03-11 04:39 PM
    Friend, business contact, acquaintance, guy you met on the street, major corporation.... it does not matter. I'm done playing games with you all.

I am not a preacher and will take my suggestions to where they are needed, to RIM and to the people (friend or not) who depend on me to be a rock. If you all want to continue acting like children and not have a constructive conversation on how we can help RIM get their $hit together, then I'm wasting my time.

Thanks and good luck to you all.
    There are more than enough constructive thoughts in many of these threads. I have little doubt that someone from rim reads them. How to make it better - fix the little things. Search on a webpage. Search in a pdf. Search in Word. Autocorrect typos. Allow organization of and renaming of bookmarks. Copy/paste cells/blocks in Sheets. Come on - didn't anyone at Rim use the device and suggest that someone might want to search on a webpage or in numerous other apps? Or did those friendly ceo's stomp on anyone who suggestions varied from their faulty-ideal.

Okay, I like the device in many respects but I could not recommend it to anyone without fair warning - it is still quite flawed. It was released flawed or deficient, if your prefer and so far rim has not gone out of its way to make many of us feel that they understand that. Better demo mode and airplane mode. Even Blackjack has a better idea - show people how to awaken the darn thing. Or maybe they don't want that as people realize it does not do what a "professional tablet" should do.

They released a $400/$500/$600 tablet that does not perform as well as their phones - criticism is well-earned by this device.

It sounds as if you are well-respected in your area and rim might give some considerations to your thoughts. But us commoners have little chance of making any headway - again, we've both humorously, grudgingly and nastily pointed out what wrong in threads here. Rim has to know Crackberry is well-read and not everyone posting here is nuts. Let them fix it.
    Draconianfire83 likes this.
    08-03-11 04:40 PM
    This thread has become pathetic as a gathering place for sour losers, sorry I tried to do something positive and constructive (actually I'm not, just sorry for all the sorry sarcastic negative gripers and ridiculists out there). Sorry I gave them a platform to spout and cry.

Just popped back in to illustrate the point.

What Do You Think of the New BlackBerrys? - Digits - WSJ

Read the comment beneath this article and find one from "Jim", third comment down.

"3:53 pm August 3, 2011
    Jim wrote:
    no confidence with BB even with the new release, so many complains around, definitely go to other choices."

And no, my name is not Jim.

If you think your whining and complaining and childish bashing and temper tantrums and ridicule are going to get you what you want, you're wrong. It will do the opposite as most people are sheep who may have gone with RIM but instead go only by what they hear. Enjoy your pathetic miserable negative lives...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-03-11 at 06:07 PM.
    08-03-11 06:04 PM
    This thread has become pathetic as a gathering place for sour losers, sorry I tried to do something positive and constructive (actually I'm not, just sorry for all the sorry sarcastic negative gripers and ridiculists out there). Sorry I gave them a platform to spout and cry.

Just popped back in to illustrate the point.

What Do You Think of the New BlackBerrys? - Digits - WSJ

Read the comment beneath this article and find one from "Jim", third comment down.

"3:53 pm August 3, 2011
    Jim wrote:
    no confidence with BB even with the new release, so many complains around, definitely go to other choices."

And no, my name is not Jim.

If you think your whining and complaining and childish bashing and temper tantrums and ridicule are going to get you what you want, you're wrong. It will do the opposite as most people are sheep who may have gone with RIM but instead go only by what they hear. Enjoy your pathetic miserable negative lives...
    Good God man! I thought ifans were bad but you to have attached your self worth to a cell phone company that you don't even work for. This is definitely an example of obsessive behavior, which has clearly led to insulting others who identify the absolute ridiculousness of the idea of consumers setting up advertisement in retail stores. That whole idea is insane. There is nothing constructive about it. I think you need to set down your Playbook and phone for a while and go outside and get some sun, enjoy nature a bit or something. You joined in June of this year and you have posted 1,122 TIMES! This is crazy. I joined in May and have 68 under my belt. For your own sake blackjack, in all seriousness, I would suggest you calm down with crackberry as your behavior implies you are obsessed.
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 08-03-11 at 06:32 PM.
    08-03-11 06:19 PM
    I have not really studied the new phones that rim is developing. My 9650 is more than adequate (OS 5 so that I maintain column view). But, frankly, Blackjack, how can rim overcome the cynicism that may now exist? Produce a viable, finished, fully-working product. And so they are producing new phones or, at least, announcing them. BUT, also faced with the fact that they have acknowledged the OS is tired and soon to be replaced by a new one. It is not as if the iphone 5, 5.5 and 6.0 are in the offing and potential purchasers are eying those possible devices. Rim has already created its own competition in the qnx phones expected next year or at the rate they are late, 2015!

Confidence is lacking for a reason - and yes, unsatisfied purchasers of their devices, squawking about the flaws don't help. But should be all remain tongue-tied and act as if rim has produced glowing products?

I'm just trying to keep potential purchasers informed so that no one tells them next week - well, you knew the limitations and purchased anyway. In all sincerity, I did expect the issues I've continuously picked on to be addressed by now - searching/finding, autocorrection, easier movement of the cursor, bookmark stuff.

I always expected native email to be a bear - syncing and sorting and corporate security. So that's where I'm not disappointed but that does not mean others will chose based on that lack.

If my Bold/9650 were to fail for some reason, I'm not sure what I'd do but I would carefully think before giving rim more money at this time. And Rim/verizon's relationship has suffered so the options may be smaller than I'd like.
    08-03-11 06:34 PM
    maybe rim will change the playbook name for the 3G radio version. no longer playbook. seriousbook
    08-03-11 06:53 PM
    Good God man! I thought ifans were bad but you to have attached your self worth to a cell phone company that you don't even work for. This is definitely an example of obsessive behavior, which has clearly led to insulting others who identify the absolute ridiculousness of the idea of consumers setting up advertisement in retail stores. That whole idea is insane. There is nothing constructive about it. I think you need to set down your Playbook and phone for a while and go outside and get some sun, enjoy nature a bit or something. You joined in June of this year and you have posted 1,122 TIMES! This is crazy. I joined in May and have 68 under my belt. For your own sake blackjack, in all seriousness, I would suggest you calm down with crackberry as your behavior implies you are obsessed.
    NO!!! Don't get him to stop. He's going to snap soon and it's going to be glorious!
    08-03-11 07:15 PM
    NO!!! Don't get him to stop. He's going to snap soon and it's going to be glorious!
    Yeah, it reads more and more like a teenager's idea. let him continue if he wants.
    08-03-11 07:33 PM
    I have been so entertained by this thread. It has been the highlight of my, otherwise, mundane day. There is another thread floating about that is very similar to this one. Someone wanted to rally the troops to help RIM sell more PBs by posting a list of suggestions that people could do when seeing them in a retail environment. I tried to intervene with some perspective, but it was not much appreciated.

This thread is just an excavation of the one I was referring to above. Now, we have graduated from invading the stores, training the sales staff, and sprucing up the demos, providing tech support when necessary, to purchasing advertising and instructional material and adding that material to the in-store displays. Even now, someone in this forum is hatching up an even crazier scheme, thinking he or she is completely well-ballanced. This started out as funny. Then it turned sad. Now it has looped all the way around to sidesplittingly hilarious.

Here is a tip that you might not want to here, but need to consider, all the same. If the product is so non-intuitive that people who stop by to see it can't figure out how to work the myriad gestures, and the sales people can't figure out how to restart and keep the units updated, there may be a fundamental problem with the conceptual design of the interface. In other words, the problem is not dead units on display, but that people can't figure out how to use the device in the first place and get tired of trying.

The reason the iPads in the same store are well used and in good condition is because everyone can easily figure out how to use them without a manual, chart, or poster. The staff can restart them off necessary because they know how, and they like to play with them. The same just can't be said about the PB. Threads like this just keep proving the point more convincingly than I can.

If you want to help RIM, then help make the current PB die a quick death. The worst thing you can do is convince RIM that they are on the right track and give them a little hope. They will just hang onto a bad idea even longer without realizing they need to change direction. The PB must die if it is to have any chance of living.
    08-03-11 08:09 PM
    I have been so entertained by this thread. It has been the highlight of my, otherwise, mundane day. There is another thread floating about that is very similar to this one. Someone wanted to rally the troops to help RIM sell more PBs by posting a list of suggestions that people could do when seeing them in a retail environment. I tried to intervene with some perspective, but it was not much appreciated.

This thread is just an excavation of the one I was referring to above. Now, we have graduated from invading the stores, training the sales staff, and sprucing up the demos, providing tech support when necessary, to purchasing advertising and instructional material and adding that material to the in-store displays. Even now, someone in this forum is hatching up an even crazier scheme, thinking he or she is completely well-ballanced. This started out as funny. Then it turned sad. Now it has looped all the way around to sidesplittingly hilarious.

Here is a tip that you might not want to here, but need to consider, all the same. If the product is so non-intuitive that people who stop by to see it can't figure out how to work the myriad gestures, and the sales people can't figure out how to restart and keep the units updated, there may be a fundamental problem with the conceptual design of the interface. In other words, the problem is not dead units on display, but that people can't figure out how to use the device in the first place and get tired of trying.

The reason the iPads in the same store are well used and in good condition is because everyone can easily figure out how to use them without a manual, chart, or poster. The staff can restart them off necessary because they know how, and they like to play with them. The same just can't be said about the PB. Threads like this just keep proving the point more convincingly than I can.

If you want to help RIM, then help make the current PB die a quick death. The worst thing you can do is convince RIM that they are on the right track and give them a little hope. They will just hang onto a bad idea even longer without realizing they need to change direction. The PB must die if it is to have any chance of living.
    I grip about my playbook it's far from perfect but I do like it...... funny that way. But the problem isn't that it's so hard to use no one can figure it out it's RIM's problem that staff in the stores aren't better trained. It's easy to use once you learn 2 things.
    08-03-11 08:16 PM
    This thread is awesome. The fanboism is through the roof. Not to mention the insanity level.
    08-03-11 08:25 PM
    Thanks for your concern but it's just entertainment while I work...multitasking and have to kill some time between compile cycles....its kinda fun riling people up actually.. and adding fun to people's mundane lives....would love to go outside, but PlayBook isn't capable of CAD yet...and I do have to make a living. ...
    08-03-11 08:29 PM
    Thanks for your concern but it's just entertainment while I work...multitasking and have to kill some time between compile cycles....its kinda fun riling people up actually.. and adding fun to people's mundane lives....would love to go outside, but PlayBook isn't capable of CAD yet...and I do have to make a living. ...
    So, you just admitted that you like to troll. Interesting.
    08-03-11 08:33 PM
    You flatter yourselves if you think you can do that .. ha ha ha Like this is real life...
    honestly that is a goal for you people? Wow I thought I was the nut.
    08-03-11 08:34 PM
    So, you just admitted that you like to troll. Interesting.
    If I liked to troll I would be in the Apple and droid forums ridiculing apple and droid fans
    08-03-11 08:37 PM
116 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD